Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Colonial Amerindian assimilation and intermarriage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Intermarriage View Drop Down
  Quote Intermarriage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colonial Amerindian assimilation and intermarriage
    Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 23:13
Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows about something that I would like to know, but that I have found any information, at all.

I would like to know HOW MANY Native Americas assimilated and intermarried with the early settlers of the British colonies that will become the United States one day.

The picture is very clear in other countries of the Americas. Everywhere in the hemisphere Europeans intermarry with Native Americans, and the impact of that can still be seen in most of the countries. In the Hispanic Caribbean, Brazil, Hispanic America and Canada, there are lots of records of intermarriage, and the Amerindian proportion of the genetic pool of those countries varies from 15% up to 70%.

Even in Canada, the people and the country itself has detailed records of intermarriage, and real institutions and traditions like the one of the Meti people.

In the United States is another matter. For some reason, there are quite a few demographic studies of the intermarryage between Europeans and Amerindians, and only certain anecdotical stories show certain lights to the topic, like the case of Pocahontas. However, daily, Americans that make a study of theirs genetic markers (which is in fashion these days) find out they do carry some Amerindian genetics on them-

What's going on in here then.

Anyone knows:

(1) How many Native Americans assimilated to the early settlers, particularly in Eastern U.S.?

(2) Which is the percentage of Amerindian DNA in the White American population?

I am not interested in intermarryage with other peoples or races but with Native Americas, because that is the only mysterious that remain.

If anyone know the answer, please let me know.

Pinguin
 Post Reply Post Reply