Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Minoans & dolphins.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minoans & dolphins.
    Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 00:45
Some ancient Minoan art.
I like dolphins and these people seemed to also.

Minoan Dolphin pithos from Olous (1600 BC).

Minoan Dolphin Fresco (1500 BC).

Anybody like?

Edited by Hellios - 03-Oct-2006 at 17:45
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 09:30
actaully im a bit of  fan of minion artSmile
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 19:42
I see it for the first time. It's impressive!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 19:45
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 19:46
How did they get those colours???
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 05:07

Minoans used the plant Crocus to produce ''zafora'', a kind of yellow colour. For the production of the red colour they mixed ''zafora'' with alkaline substances.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 07:38
And blue?
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 09:37
Blue as far as I know from Thyra (Santorini) frescos, was imported from Egypt, it could be the same consept for Minoans too.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 13:55
Originally posted by Leonidas

actaully im a bit of  fan of minion artSmile

My parents just got back from there (Crete).  I have a little Minotaur on my monitor.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 13:57
Anton, those minoan girls u posted had cute hairstyles.  Here for u:

Edited by Hellios - 04-Oct-2006 at 15:13
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 15:07
Originally posted by Giannis

Blue as far as I know from Thyra (Santorini) frescos, was imported from Egypt, it could be the same consept for Minoans too.

Yes!  Minoans used so much Egyptian elements.  A great blend.

This looks kinda Egyptian:

King Minos Throne (with benches for his entourage).  The phoenix look cool:

Knossos Palace today:

And how it was:

Very heavy Egyptian influence.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 17:57
Thanks, Hellios. I wish I could have more friends like you Tongue
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 01:50
There is a small inaccuracy in one picture that you posted Helios. In Minoan art, only female deities appeared breast-naked. Both, male and female were projected always clothed, an other interested fact in minoan frescoes is that men skin is always red and women's white. 
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 05:00

There is a small inaccuracy in one picture that you posted Helios. In Minoan art, only female deities appeared breast-naked. Both, male and female were projected always clothed, an other interested fact in minoan frescoes is that men skin is always red and women's white. 

Kalimera Giannis.

If you want please show me some sources about only the female dieties appearing bare-breasted, because tonight I found numerous sources about both (bare-breasted and covered breasts) being normal for Minoan women.

Minoan Men, regardless of rank or status, appeared to have favored virtual nudity. They wore belts with small cloth aprons, loin cloths and even short skirts.

Yes, I've also seen some with mens skin looking reddish, but No; not all of them.  Men who spent more time in the sun must have been darker since they dressed less than women.  Some Minoan men might have shared North African genes due to proximity with Egypt?

Edited by Hellios - 05-Oct-2006 at 05:00
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 05:50
Goodafternoon Helios,

Men in Minoan art, in contrast, with classical greek, never appeared in ''frontal'' nudity.

As for the colour of the skin, I wasn't refered in reality, but in what we see in frescoes.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 00:17

Goodafternoon Helios,

Men in Minoan art, in contrast, with classical greek, never appeared in ''frontal'' nudity.

As for the colour of the skin, I wasn't refered in reality, but in what we see in frescoes.

Efxaristo for the links.  Just let me know if you want the sources I spoke about (describing Minoan women as both bare & cover breasted).

Ah ok, I hadn't made that distinction (regarding male "frontal" nudity) between Minoan & Mainland art, thanks.

I think Greek artists tried to depict the realities of their societies well.

Edited by Hellios - 06-Oct-2006 at 00:18
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 02:22
That would be interesting! Thumbs Up
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 04:56

That would be interesting! Thumbs Up

Hi Giannis,

I'll post the others soon.

Basilis

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 08:47

Until the discovery of indogo in the Americas, the only way to make a bright blue paint was to use crushed lapis lazuli (which for a long time was indeed only found in Egypt, or traded through Egypt from further east). Of course this made blue a very very expensive colour and it was only used for rich people and in palaces and temples. In the Middle Ages, manuscript illuminations with lots of blue were still prestige items.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 08:55
Hi Helios!

I'm currently studying the Minoans as part of my Archaeology course and I have to agree with you that some of they're are is beautiful. I especially like the Snake Goddess figurines from Knossos

The unusual colour and delicate features show how skilled the craftsman must been.

Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>