Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is Byzantine Greek for recruit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Byzantine Greek for recruit?
    Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 20:02

I know all the other ranks and the word stratiotes for soldier, but there is one rank I know not. What is recruit in Byzantine Greek? I am looking for the equivalent of the late Roman term tiro, a rank prior to becoming a pedes. Was there ever such a specific rank? Were there a variety of terms over the centuries, and if so, what was the most commonly used one?    

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 20:29
Originally posted by Condottiere

I know all the other ranks and the word stratiotes for soldier, but there is one rank I know not. What is recruit in Byzantine Greek? I am looking for the equivalent of the late Roman term tiro, a rank prior to becoming a pedes. Was there ever such a specific rank? Were there a variety of terms over the centuries, and if so, what was the most commonly used one?

Hmm...are you talking about the general Byzantine Greek term for "recruit," or the term for an actual low-grade rank that is the equivalent to a recruit?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 23:26
An actual rank if there was one, preferably singular and plural versions. A probationary position on enrolment and prior to becoming integrated in a unit.
 Post Reply Post Reply