Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the ancient Macedonians ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the ancient Macedonians ?
    Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 21:10
i think i heard the term ''barbarians'' derogatory means those who cannot talk (properly) (while speaking they sounded like: ''bara..bara..bara''LOL...) ?
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 20:27
btw. i think the norms spoke early french as administrative lang...the masses must have been illiterate-maybe like the mk ones?
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 20:26
about the3rd philippic: are there some other ancient sources saying the mk(gr) slaves were of no good ''quality''?
the mks and grs did trade, how the gr people could've believed that the mk slaves were no good, i mean the athenians knew what the greek enemies were saying of the greek slaves...Confused
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 20:21
and can we judge the nationality by that people's religion?
i mean the normans wrote early french, they weren't french, rather a mixture of the normndy's ethnicities...Ouch
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 20:18
well, my question:
if the ancient macedonians (or ''mks'' as some call themselves nowadays) had the same greek religion-does that meant they were greek? 
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:36
Originally posted by krater

and that proto-greek language: the greek say macedonians spoke greek...their language was similar, but again the celtic and teutonic lngs were also similar back then...?Unhappy

It is not the Greeks specifically that believe that. The linguists have coined the language with an ISO CODE. The artifacts support this. Some decades ago there were no findings in the pre-attic language of Macedonia, so some were skeptical that the native language was Greek. However, in our days, the inscriptions are thousands and amongst them there are such written in the local dialect which is a variant of Western Greek.

Have a look here: http://epigraphy.packhum.org/inscriptions/gis?region=4

There are over 8500 inscriptions now from Macedonia on the Cornell university archives. You can draw your conclutions and please continue that issue on the linguistic forum.

this man called ''highlander'', i guess it couldn't be the ''same'' as ''jesus'' meaning ''god saves''...
i mean SOME PEOPLE would argue about Hughlander's and Jesus' ''objective'' existance?Sleepy

I don't get what you're trying to say or at least this is irrelevant no matter why that guy called that way. He was not a god or saviour. Just a leader of a tribe that migrated due to a physical dissaster known in mythology as "Deucalions flood". He was no superman.

But please do not touch this thread, cause i'm telling you we're gonna get warned sooner or later. I have personally asked one of the moderators to remove or transfer (to the appropriate threads) my latest posts.

Edited by Flipper - 26-Oct-2007 at 19:55

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:34
wow...you gave me the fright...Shocked
but on that forum a gr participant says that the greeks of the age knew that macedonia was highlanded area...
this man called ''highlander'', i guess it couldn't be the ''same'' as ''jesus'' meaning ''god saves''...
i mean SOME PEOPLE would argue about Hughlander's and Jesus' ''objective'' existance?Sleepy
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:21

i dont know, but somehow i ''feel'' sth about the lifestyle issue? there're some historical examples it seems, which show that ls is essential for us to see the genealogy of a people.

this guy on that macedonia, greek name issue gave me sth to think about...eg about the hungarians, perhaps?

and that proto-greek language: the greek say macedonians spoke greek...their language was similar, but again the celtic and teutonic lngs were also similar back then...?Unhappy
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:16

So-macedonians are not greek then?

I never said that. I just pointed out that the Royal House and the natives are two different things.

So far, since their language is FINALY classed as IEGB (Indoeuropean greek branch) with ISO code XMK, there is no strong evidence they were something else that was hellenized.

However, this is irrelavant to this topic and i don't want to end up with a warning, because of playarism or thread take over.

The issue has been discussed briefly here: http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=15134

Read carefully, cause people tend to go in circles about matters that have been already discussed.

Smile

you say their leader was called macedon? so it's false that macedonia means highlands in greek?Confused

Yes, their leader was Macedon (meaning Highlander).

AND BTW...Welcome

Edited by Flipper - 26-Oct-2007 at 19:19

krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:13
you say their leader was called macedon? so it's false that macedonia means highlands in greek?Confused
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:10
So-macedonians are not greek then?
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 15:44
Originally posted by amanti

really you have analised it well?
i hope so but i am asking you why alexander 1 (first) was not allowed to participated in the olimpic games in that times?
Yes, it has been analyzed well; just read the first pages of this thread. Alexander I participated in the Olympic games.

what Demosten had said to Philip when he went to qonquer Greece...
First, it's Demosthenes; and second, Demosthenes' words have been debated a lot in this very thread. It is boring saying the same things over and over again, without bringing anything new to the discussion.

Edited by Neoptolemos - 10-Mar-2007 at 15:45
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 15:17
really you have analised it well?
i hope so but i am asking you why alexander 1 (first) was not allowed to participated in the olimpic games in that times?
but lets go on.......what Demosten had said to Philip when he went to qonquer Greece...
:-you are not a greek but even that not a good barbar like the others you would have for honor to be.....
Demosteni is known like a anti Philip man with his oratories
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 11:22

for that time the name "Barbars" was given the tribes that had not greek culture.
That is completely true becouse in olimpic games were allowed to participate only the tribes with greek culture and not the others one

And there is the contradiction. They participated in the Olympics. We have already analyzed this.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 08:23
for that time the name "Barbars" was given the tribes that had not greek culture.
That is completely true becouse in olimpic games were allowed to participate only the tribes with greek culture and not the others one
Istor the Macedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Istor the Macedonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 16:03
Barbaros doesn't mean simply non-Greek:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057;query=entry%3D%2319347;layout=;loc=barba%5Erokto%2Fnos
Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 09:53
Ehm, Liburni...I don't think you got Brasidas very well. Read again. Not only Brasidas but the whole thread. We don't want to go in circles. We've covered things never covered before and in a very specific manner when providing information.

Respect that and please keep the same line.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 06:43
Originally posted by liburni

well done brasidas!
i agree with u couse not only alexander was called as barbarian but also all the others "nations" were called so by HERODOTIS......:>THIS means clearly that they weren"t greece people
the politicans have made the history as they wanted it and not according to facts.
if barbarian were not greek,what other tribus takes this nick that time except illyrians that lived near them????DisapproveQuestion....and also had their identity and culture as well????!!!!
the others must think at lest according to your point of view and not almost from the books written rercently.............
i suggest you read the whole thread before dropping in. AFAIK 'Barbarian' and its use isn't always ethnic, it may also be political or a dialectal put down. Either way the debate isn't as simple as that one argument

Edited by Leonidas - 26-Feb-2007 at 06:50
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 11:56
Correction Akritas.

We have 3 Macedonian texts:

1) Pela katadesmos http://epigraphy.packhum.org/inscriptions/oi?ikey=153368

2) The arethousa tablet http://epigraphy.packhum.org/inscriptions/oi?ikey=153618

3) The Derveni papyrus which is however mixed attic and macedonian. It is also the oldest papyrus in Europe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derveni_Papyrus

In any case the pre-Attic period is characterized by a Western Greek language.

When Pella katadesmos was found back in 1986, the linguists agreed that more than one inscription on the same dialect had to be found in order to hammer what macedonian is. 20 years later the language received the XMK ISO code and was classified as a Greek subgroup. Generally speaking a lot of the info on the net is outdated.

Edited by Flipper - 18-Feb-2007 at 11:58

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 16:16
Whenever the issue of ancient Macedonian greekness arises, i notice the same contradiction over and over. Until now as we all know all the archaeological inscriptions found and mostly Pella's curse tablet of 4th cent. BC, which is the only ancient 'Macedonian' text we have, are proving that Macedonians spoke a dialect related to North-West Greek, and this is a something the entirety of the scientific community agrees on.

Now, if archaeologists discover eg. an inscription written in a different language, and its older than the existing ones, this is obviously evidence that Macedonia had a language/dialect which was not greek.

But if they dont, as they havent found all these decades, this is only taken as evidence, that ancient Macedonia was simply 'Hellenized'.

In other words, according to what people claim, if they find archaeological discoveries, older than the existing in a different language that's proof Macedonia wasnt greek and if they dont, its proof Macedonia was 'hellenized' therefore it wasnt greek again.

Same contradiction exists with other arguments i read every now and then about Alexander declaring in every chance he was given that he was greek. The explanation of some is usually that Alexander was doing "propaganda".

All these examples, mean exactly, nothing at all could be accepted as evidence that Macedonians were of greek origin since only evidence that they were not is counted.

It is logical that in order to perform a genuine discussion of a theory people must permit the possibility of evidence that would count against it. If you do not, the discussion cannot be genuine or constructive, because a discussion that is run with the presumption that nothing could count as a failure of a point is no real discussion at all, but rather its a joke.

Beware of the above guys, next time anyone will use the "Hellenization" argument against you

http://www.macedoniaontheweb.com/forum/ancient-macedonian-history/1822-hellenization-argument-contradiction.html#post15752
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>