Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tipu Sultan -do you know him?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tipu Sultan -do you know him?
    Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 12:27
Tipu Sultan, the eldest son of Haider Ali, was born on December 10, 1750 at Devanhalli. Right from his early years he was trained in the art of warfare and at the age of 15 he used to accompany his father Haider Ali, the ruler of Mysore, to different military campaigns. In Addition, he also learnt different languages, mathematics and science. Tipu Sultan had a fascination for learning. His personal library consisted of more than 2,000 books in different languages. He was an extremely active man and worked hard for the welfare of his subjects. He took over the kingdom of Mysore after the death of his father in 1782, who died of a carbuncle in the midst of a campaign against the British. He continued fighting the British and defeated them in 1783.

Tipu Sultan was a farsighted person who could foresee East India Company's design to get entrenched in India. He therefore negotiated with the French for help and also sought assistance from the Amir of Afghanistan and the Sultan of Turkey. The British were scared of Tipu's growing strength and after their defeat in 1783 they formed an alliance with the Nizam of Hyderabad and Marhattas. The French, however, deserted Tipu after the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. The British availed the chance with the help of the Nizam and the Marathas, and started the third Anglo-Mysore war in 1790.

As long as the British fought alone, Tipu always defeated them. But he could not come over their diplomacy, conspiracy and intrigue. Thus he was defeated in his capital, Seringapatam, and was forced to sign a humiliating treaty on March 22, 1792. As a result he had to concede half of his kingdom and pay an indemnity of 33 million rupees to the British and their allies. The alliance between the adversaries was soon broken and in 1795 the British, after defeating the Nizam, once again turned their attention towards Mysore. After the treaty at Seringapatam, Tipu Sultan did not waste his time and made extensive preparations against the British. He had rebuilt his war machine in the shortest possible time with the help of the French. The British regarded it as a violation of the treaty. This led to the start of the fourth Anglo-Mysore war in 1798 with the help of the Nizam. The French were unable to provide the needed support to Tipu Sultan. Tipu Sultan retreated to his capital and continued fighting till he breathed his last in May 1799. Tipu Sultan is buried at a mausoleum that he himself had built, along with his father Haider Ali and his mother Fatima Begum.

Tipu Sultan was a great patriot and like his father realized the danger of letting the British becoming stronger. Although much of the period of his rule was given to war with the Marhattas, the Nizam and the British, he made his state secure and peaceful with benevolent rule. He was an enlightened ruler who treated his non-Muslim subjects generously. He built a chain of excellent roads and constructed tanks and dams to promote agriculture. He introduced new industries, promoted trade and commerce on a large scale. Tipu prohibited the production and distribution of liquor and other intoxicants in Mysore. He also built and fortified numerous forts and many palaces, which were demolished by the British after his death. Bangalore Summer Palace still survives and is a remnant of his grand rule.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 12:56
Would you please quote the source for this post!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 13:08
oh sorry i will get it in a moment
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 13:13
http://www.storyofpakistan.com/person.asp?perid=P073

here is the link pal
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 00:58
Originally posted by Tipu Sultan

He was an enlightened ruler who treated his non-Muslim subjects generously. 

This is not correct. He forcibly converted thousands & thousands of Hindus to Muslim. Please mention the full story, not only the good sides.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 01:18
Vivek, read contempory sources including Wellesys dispatches. All of them are in agreement with what he says.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 02:34
Originally posted by Sparten

Vivek, read contempory sources including Wellesys dispatches. All of them are in agreement with what he says.

I don't need to read somebody's dispathces for knowing what I know.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 03:25
Read this :

Tipu himself left behind personal accounts of his atrocities against the Hindus. These details can be found in two autobiographies: Sultan-ut Tawarikh and Tarikh-i-Khudadadi, housed in the India Office Library, London. Noted historian KM Panicker chanced upon Tipu's correspondence at the India Office Library. These have since been published. Take a letter (March 22, 1788) written to Abdul Khadar: "Over 12,000 Hindus were honoured with Islam ... Local Hindus should be brought before you and then converted to Islam. No Namboodri should be spared."

In a letter (December 14, 1788), he said to his army commander in Calicut: "You should capture and kill all Hindus. Those below 20 years may be kept in prison and 5,000 from the rest should be killed hanging from treetops". Writing on January 19, 1790, to Badroos Saman Khan, he said: "I have achieved a great victory recently in Malabar and over four lakh Hindus were converted to Islam. I am now determined to march against the cursed Raman Nair." Tipu issued orders in different parts of Malabar: "All means, truth or falsehood, fraud or force, should be employed to effect their (Hindu) universal conversion to Islam" (Historical Sketches of the South of India in an attempt to trace the History of Mysore, Mark Wilks Vol II, page 120).

Tipu corresponded with Zaman Shah, grandson Ahmad Shah Abdali and ruler of Afghanistan before the Third Mysore War (1792) and continued to do so till 1798. These letters were translated by Kabir Kausar in The History of Tipu Sultan. In one place, he wrote: "My exalted ambition has for its object a holy war ... In the midst of this land the Almighty protects this trace of Muhammadan dominion like the Ark of Noah and cuts short the extended arm of the abandoned infidel". In a letter dated February 5, 1797: "We should unite in carrying on a holy war against the enemies of our religion.... Thine armies shall ... render us victorious."

What Fra Bartolomaco, a Portuguese traveller and historian, saw in Malabar in 1790, he recorded in Voyage to East Indies: "Most of the men and women were hanged in Calicut ... That barbarian Tipu Sultan tied naked Christians and Hindus to the legs of elephants ... till the bodies ... were torn to prices. Temples and churches were ordered to be burnt down, desecrated and destroyed ... I myself helped many victims to cross the Varappuzha river" (pgs 141-142).

The sword of Tipu Sultan carried an inscription in Persian: "My victorious Sabre is lightening for the destruction of the unbelievers. Thou art our Lord, make him victorious who promotes the faith of Muhammad. Confound him, who refuses the faith of Muhammad and withold us from those who are so inclined" (History of Mysore, CH Rao, Vol III, p 1073). The Mysore Gazetteer also provides details about Tipu's destruction of over 800 temples in South India. Who should we believe - Mr Nadwi or what Tipu Sultan's own accounts and other contemporary records?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 03:27
Source of above aricle :

http://www.chowk.com/show_interactor_page.cgi?membername=m_souza

And the second part of Tipu being a great freedom fighter is also a big lie. Anybody fighting the British does'nt become a freedom fighter. Further at that period of time, the British were not ruling India, but only some of it. And even in those times, Tipu fought against the Marathas, who were the Indian nationalists. Tipu was just trying to become another Aurangzeb.

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 30-Sep-2006 at 03:32
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 12:29
well tipu sultan was a great king who treated his non muslim subjects on par with equality.
vivek you know he gave strict orders that the malabar untouchables hindus who were not allowed to dress above the waist,that they should dress fully.
he gave money to build temples and he was dead against untouchability and i love him-he is my hero and i am from a family of converts to ISLAM
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 14:21
Tipu Sultan, I have edited the heading into more suiting one, with the idea remaining the same. On the other hand, I think that this should belong either to Medieval Middle-East, South and SE Asia or imperial Age forums.

And inside texts, Islam is written with the first letter as capital and the next ones in lower case, for your knowledge.

Thanks,
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 15:52
Not a good argument.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 16:24
Mortaza seconded.

Vivek, please give better sources.
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 20:53
"I think that this should belong either to Medieval Middle-East,"

sorry he is an indian king
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 22:42
Tipu sultan in my opinion suffers from the English habit of glorifing their defeated enemies. Its a good strategy, make the enemy look strong and powerful after you have beaten him. Then everybody else thinks "This guy was so good - and the English beat him! I won't mess with the English"

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 01-Oct-2006 at 22:42
Jamukha View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Jamukha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 00:15
I cant hlep but notice a pattern in the topics you have posted. Seems like freedom fighters or Muslim freedom fighters are a area of interest to you.

I have read a little about Tipu Sultan but unfortunately he is still on my to read list, since I have not come across a book so far that could keep me interested, which is partially do the writing styles of the authors.

However, if you know of a classic book that discusses his life please let me know.

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 05:17
Yes- Tipu Sultan was indeed a threat to the English but It is ridiculous to claim that he was "An enlightened man". As Vivek mentioned, not everyone who fought the English was a freedom fighter. This is a common but popular misconception on British Imperialism. The Mugal empire who the British helped uproot where not exactly a slice of cake. One Mugal Sultan Killed a wifes' husband and made her eat him in a curry. I'm sorry, buts' thats' just not on! Although the English were Imperialists and in many respects fairly brutal, one cannot try and bolster national pride by claiming that any defenders against the defenders are naturally heroic. History has told us this story over and over again. Do you think that Stalins' montrosities (alright, on a different scale but you see my point) are somehow better because he was invaded and opposed Hitler? Of course not! Do you think that Leopold I in 1705 was somehow more honourable and holy because Louis XIV was the offender in the Spanish succession and later invaded the holy Roman empire? No! It is sheer folly to go about this "Defenders = good" and "Invaders = bad" there is always more to it than that. I am not insinutating that Tipu Sultan was somehow a butcherer, but all I am trying to say is that people should be more careful whilst judging the defenders as well!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 06:13
Originally posted by Mortaza

Not a good argument.
Have you ever seen Vivek come up with a good argument.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 06:17
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Yes- Tipu Sultan was indeed a threat to the English but It is ridiculous to claim that he was "An enlightened man". As Vivek mentioned, not everyone who fought the English was a freedom fighter. This is a common but popular misconception on British Imperialism. The Mugal empire who the British helped uproot where not exactly a slice of cake. One Mugal Sultan Killed a wifes' husband and made her eat him in a curry. I'm sorry, buts' thats' just not on! Although the English were Imperialists and in many respects fairly brutal, one cannot try and bolster national pride by claiming that any defenders against the defenders are naturally heroic. History has told us this story over and over again. Do you think that Stalins' montrosities (alright, on a different scale but you see my point) are somehow better because he was invaded and opposed Hitler? Of course not! Do you think that Leopold I in 1705 was somehow more honourable and holy because Louis XIV was the offender in the Spanish succession and later invaded the holy Roman empire? No! It is sheer folly to go about this "Defenders = good" and "Invaders = bad" there is always more to it than that. I am not insinutating that Tipu Sultan was somehow a butcherer, but all I am trying to say is that people should be more careful whilst judging the defenders as well!
And the British cut off the heads of the Mughal Kings sons and gave it to him for breakfast. So lets not argue about who was less brutal shall we.

Now Tip Sultan was an enlightened man. He ordered a church built in Mysore, the first in that part of India.

Here is an article written by an Indian professor on him.

Tipu was also one of the first to use rockets in warfare on a large scale.

Edited by Sparten - 02-Oct-2006 at 06:19
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 07:35
Originally posted by Sparten

And the British cut off the heads of the Mughal Kings sons and gave it to him for breakfast. So lets not argue about who was less brutal shall we.

If you took the time to look at my post, Sparten, you would see that I was never denying that the invaders were brutal on occasion, in fact, I was arguing that people focus far to much on the crimes of the invaders like you described. My argument was not a simple "Who is more brutal" affair, and in fact i take offense at that remark.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>