Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Alexander hate or love Persia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Alexander hate or love Persia?
    Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 03:05
Hi,

Did Alexander hate or love Persia & the other civilizations he conquered?  Some people tell me he committed cultural genocide and others tell me he fell so much in love with the peoples he conquered that he adopted their culture and never wanted to go back to Greece.  Confusing for me (a history noob).

Thx.

Edited by Hellios - 26-Sep-2006 at 03:06
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 04:39

I think it probable that he harboured some large hatred against the Persians. It would have been only natural. For generations, the Greek city states had been practically besiged by the Archenimid Persians under Darius, Artaxerxes and Xerxes. Macedonia itself suffered sometimes quite badly under Darius' invasion of Greece. I would think that yes, Alexander probably did have some kind of hatred, like most Greeks, of the Persian race. The Greeks of this time grew up hearing of battles such as Thermopyle, Platea and Marathon.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 04:55
I think it was less a question of hatred and more a feeling of cultural superiority. Like all Hellenes, Alexander would have considered his heritage and culture superior.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 05:36
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I think it was less a question of hatred and more a feeling of cultural superiority. Like all Hellenes, Alexander would have considered his heritage and culture superior.

But, Alexander adopted many persian traditions and customs, furthmore he married a persian princess. My opinion is that he propably hated the persian policies, but loved their culture.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 05:56
I actually think he specifically adopted Persian modes of government because they were so much more effective for running such a large empire. The Hellenic people had no experience administering such a vast state, so it was necessary for Alexander to simply emulate Persian government in order to perpetuate their very effective method of administration. If this meant adopting oriental dress, court protocol and becoming an oriental despot then that was simply what had to be done. 
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 06:45

I think that his admiration for the Persian culture was the reason for his assassination. His generals maybe didn't have the open mind to accept the virtually union between the two nations, a union which Alexander tried to achieve with intermarriages, teaching Persians the greek language etc. But Alexander may have hyperbolized by addopting all the persian ways. But the cultural differences were huge. So we can say he was a little bit utopist but and the first globalist and the affects of his vision can be seen in the hellenistic east mediterranean,where people of all nations using the koine greek language made a admirable culture. 

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 07:25
Look at what he did to Persepolis probobly the greatest city in the world at the time, it doesn't take a genius to work out he dispised Persia but realised that it was more advanced than anything he knew before so had to adapt to it.

I'm sure Persians know the answer to this, Alexander was nothing more than a savage barbarian to them.

To the Hellenics however, he's a brave hero.

Edited by Bulldog - 26-Sep-2006 at 07:27
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 08:00
Originally posted by Bulldog

Look at what he did to Persepolis probobly the greatest city in the world at the time, it doesn't take a genius to work out he dispised Persia but realised that it was more advanced than anything he knew before so had to adapt to it.

I'm sure Persians know the answer to this, Alexander was nothing more than a savage barbarian to them.

To the Hellenics however, he's a brave hero.

I have heard many reasons for why did Alexander destroyed Persepolis.

1. It was a revenge act for the burning of Athens by Xerxes.
2. He wasn't a sole ruler of the Persian Empire, and it was too dangerous to leave the city and it's treasures intact.
3. That this was Thais idea, a female courtesan, who proposed drunk Alexander and his men to burn the palace and the city.
4. All of the above combined.

Either way, it was a barbarian act, Diodorus of Sicily wrote in his ''World history'', that several years later when Alexander returned to Persepolis he regretted his act.

How people see Alexander is a matter of perspective, I agree with Bulldog.

But, if we try to be as neutral as we can, I think that we could see that from one point, he accepted the persian culture. He burried Darious like a king and he avenged his assasins the persian way. He also include persian commanders to his army.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 08:27
Can anyone Persian here say his opinion? How is Alexander in Iranans' minds. I've seen in documantaries about Alexander that his is still alive in the local myths of his empire's areas, and he isn't remembered as a barbarian invador. For example i've heard an old woman from Afganistan area who told that she thanks Alexander because he stopped the local custom where the children killed their parents when they got old.

But when we judge Alexander we must have in mind that in his twenty fifth years he was rulling an empire from India to Ionian Sea and that Persians back in Greece were those who burned Acropolis and those who kept the ionian Greeks enslaved.
alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote alexISS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 09:03
Accepting the local culture also made Alexander's ruling easier for the Persians to swallow
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music" Groucho
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 09:26
patrinos, most Iranians would say he was a butcher, iskander the devil. Ive already had the debate... 
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 10:11
I would say he followed a conciliatory policy. I think maybe he was simply attempting to create a form of social protocol common among all his subjects. His particular integrating policies concerning Persians were such that forced obvious displeasure among his troops. In his early policies,  He entrusted Mithrenes, the Persian who surrendered Sardis with the satrapy of Armenia. He allowed Ada, queen of Halkamassus to adopt him. He showed great respect to the wife and mother of the Persian king Darius and he retained Mazaeus and Aboulites as satraps.

All this took place before he began to adopt Persian dress and court ceremonial, the mass wedding at Susa along with adopting the Persian custom of proskynesis.  The Macedonians who fought to defeat and punish the Persians, as Alexander had declared himself, for atrocities taking place in the past, took it as a betrayal and sign of instability on the king's part.  The growing dissatisfaction of Macedonians against their king was obvious and series of incidents came to attest it. The Philotas conspiracy, The incident of Cleitus that resulted in his tragic death, the murder of Callisthenes as the aftermath of his protest against proskynesis followed by the mutinies.
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 10:12
Leonidas quoted:
patrinos, most Iranians would say he was a butcher, iskander the devil. Ive already had the debate... 

Maybe you're right about Iranian's(they were the loser,its logical). I think that the rest nations have different opinion,e.g. Egyptians.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 12:09
But, Alexander adopted many persian traditions and customs, furthmore he married a persian princess. My opinion is that he propably hated the persian policies, but loved their culture.

He did not marry a PERSIAN princess, but a Bactrian, although Bactria was under Persian rule then.

It would say that it was not a question of RACIAL hatred, but one of simply NATIONAL hatred. I think that the ideas and conceptions of race were very different then.

...His replication of the Persian culture could have indeed been the reason for his assasination (if the monkey bite in Babylon was something more sinister, which it probably was). Look at other Greeks in the Persian wars, such as Pausinas and Thermistocles. They both abandoned Greece for the Persians and backstabbed the alliance, and look how Pausianas paid- Bricked into the temple of Athena in Sparta and left to starve to death. These attitudes would have definately been around at the time of Alexander, so I think that this theory that you suggested probably hits the nail on the head, Perseas! Well done :D

...Along with Perseas' theory, it could also have been a fair amount of simple desperation to do away with such a demogouge- Cleitus killed in Afghanistan just for suggesting that Alexander was not a god clearly shows this.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 12:36
He did not marry a PERSIAN princess, but a Bactrian, although Bactria was under Persian rule then

I don't know if Bactrians are considered Iranic people but Statira,daughter of Darius the third was surely Persian.

Maybe we sould open a topic about the cause of his death.
The Philosopher View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 16:41
Who's empire was largest? The persian empire or Alexanders' empire, i've seen pictures of both, and they look about the same.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 17:39
Originally posted by Leonidas

Not exactly, although many Iranian call him a barbarian, but i am awar of Iranian sources which prize and respect him too. Btw have you ever think why the name Alexander (Eskandar) is very popular in Iran? it must not be without a reason.

Edited by Maziar - 26-Sep-2006 at 18:07
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 17:40
Originally posted by Patrinos

He did not marry a PERSIAN princess, but a Bactrian, although Bactria was under Persian rule then

I don't know if Bactrians are considered Iranic people but Statira,daughter of Darius the third was surely Persian.

Maybe we sould open a topic about the cause of his death.

For sure Bactrian were iranic people, and they were the closest relative to Persians.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 17:44
Well a combination of Persian and Greek culturs could be very interesting though the both culturs are great. I personaly would preffer a combination of Persians and Greecs rather than the sword of Islam.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 18:36
Maziar:
Not exactly, although many Iranian call him a barbarian, but i am awar of Iranian sources which prize and respect him too. Btw have you ever think why the name Alexander (Eskandar) is very popular in Iran? it must not be without a reason.

Yes Maziar,I had the same impression,that Iranians respect him and all Yunanis.There is a story here in Greece that in a block of talibans in Afganistan stoped a group of Greek reporters and when they realised that they were Greeks started to say:Iskandar,Yunan and let them pass,but the next group was american and...

Imagine a culture after the combination of the two greater civilisations,one western and the other eastern. I personally blame the Alexander's generals who didn't get the meaning of his vision.

I think that except from the title Great he must be called the first global citisen.

Who's empire was largest?

I think that they were almost identical in size.The Persian didn't include the european Greek areas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>