Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indo-European and Uralic families.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-European and Uralic families.
    Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 22:47
I've heard that finn-urgic languages were spoken in parts of Europe before Indo-European languages arrived, at the very least they were around the Baltic 2000+ years ago alreadyi, so attributing it to the mongols would seem dumb. Hungry/Magyar or course is relativly more recent in its present location, but even that predates the Mongols.

Finurgic and Altaic are not the same family, but often linked together out of convinience. That said, they are probably more similar to each other than they are to many other language families.

Some of people claims Finns, and Estons are central asia origined people who live north-east europea. They claim, Uralic language is an last affixed language like Turkish, Tatar..

As a Crimean Tatar origined person, i NEVER think Finns, Estons or Modern Hungarians are related Turks. Finns and Estons look like Skandinavians, and they usually have dolicocephal (long) skull-type. i think they are actually teutonic origined, maybe their language changed during Mogol raids. i also don't think Mogols are also Turkic origined cause they look like more chinese or south asians, and their language were changed old strong Turk Empires before Islam religion..

Physical appearance has nothing to do with linguistics.

Arrrgh!!"
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 19:14
I've heard that finn-urgic languages were spoken in parts of Europe before Indo-European languages arrived,

From the little I've read on this topic there is one major problem in the IE theory.
You see, based on DNA studies, the Uralic speakers have been roughly in the same location since the Paleolithic age.
So the question that came up was, how would these IE speakers get in or out (depending on which theory you prefer) of Europe by simply passing the Uralics without having no obvious connection.
Based on this fact, many have come to the conclusion that the IE language has existed in Europe since the Ice Age, which is exactly what archaeologic and DNA evidence are starting to suggest.
wilpuri View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote wilpuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 18:58
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

"Yes, but if order in families and wich languages belongs to a family is still disputed. For example in other Maps was Estnian, Finanian and Hungarian belongs  to the Mongol/Tartarian/Turkish languages."

Well when my ancestors arrived where we live today, they were similar looking to modern Mongols. Then they mixed with the next immigrants. It could be quite realistic that a few words could be similar to even modern Turkish or Mongol ones.

Most likely highly untrue. The Balto-Finnic populations are clearly European in genetic make-up, no different from other Europeans. The language may have come from the east, but even that is questionable. The 'science' of linguistics, especially of Finno-Ugric linguistics, has a long tradition of prejudice and false conclusions. Forget this mongol talk.

If possible, try to obtain a copy of Kalevi Wiik's newest book. His theories are rather 'wild', yet thought arousing.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 02:48

Finns come from the Urals, we're linguistically far relatives to samoyed peoples, and in one book there was a photo of a finn family that lived 19th century, and they all had mongoloid eyes...Finns moved to Finland as the glaciers retreated...but about those mongoloid eyes-i think they have disappeared during centuries or even millenias that swedish and russians have mixed with Finns as they have moved to area. Lots of Germans have also moved to Finland during the Medieval period (my family was a merchant-family in germany that moved to Finland in the late medieval-period) and have mixed with Finns. Perhaps those mongoloid eyes are a feature that......disappears when a mongoloid-eyed person has a children with a person that hasn't...there was a research that claimed that blonde hair was a such feature and there wouldn't be any blondes after few centuries,but another research proved that not to be true, but on that I base(?damn my English!) my guess.

Finno-ugric languages are relatives to samoyed languages, and both groups belong to Uralic languages-group. Finnish, Estonian, Karelian(really Finnish but because spoken mostly in Russia it's sometimes considered to be a separate language), Hungarian, Lappish(/samean, dunno how to write that either),inkeroinen,mordva, mari,komi,votjakki,ostjakki(these are in Finnish and don't even try to translate these) are finno-ugric languages, and spoken in  eastern baltic areas, Hungary and in central Russia(west of Urals though)

(From my Finnish book

Layers(damn!again!) of Finnish words from different times:

1.Uralic words words that appear(and again!) in both finno-ugric and samoyed languages

2.Finno-ugric words that can't be found in samoyed languages

3.Indo-uralic words that may be loaned from indo-eropean pre-language

4.Baltic loans from 2500-2000 BC

5.Older Germanic loans from bronze age 1500-500 BC

6.Younger Germanic loans (Scandinavic) 50-400 AD

7.Slavic loans 500-1000 AD

8.Swedish loans

9.19th century russian loans

10.loans from greek and latin(philosophy and such words)

11.English loans from modern age

Edited by Suurkuningas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 14:02
Originally posted by Phallanx

Based on this fact, many have come to the conclusion that the IE language has existed in Europe since the Ice Age, which is exactly what archaeologic and DNA evidence are starting to suggest.

People very often change their language. And a language can spread in huge territories without great moving of peoples.
Tiera View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 15:46
Hello!

A few comments:
1. If one states "Finns come from the Urals" one could similarly state "Englishmen come from the Caucasus". Both statements are equally obsolete. The "Urals" and the "Caucasus" are merely the "mean" of the current distribution of linguistically relative languages. I believe in the past people took this "compromise between the extremes" to mean "an origin" of a people. Similarly to Indo-European speakers of the world, the Finno-Ugric speakers of the world represent many "races", cultures and living-styles. Note: Indo-European speakers range from all kinds of peoples from Iceland to India, in a similar fashion Uralic (Finno-Ugric-Samoyed) speakers range from all kinds of people from Norway to Khanti-Mansi and beyond.
2. Genetics can be similarly misinterpreted as not only the FREQUENCY of a genetic marker but moreover the DIVERGENCE of a genetic marker play a role in deducing lineages. E.g. a genetic marker that is more frequent in area A (say90% of a population) can be more divergent in area B (where the frequancy might be, say only 10%). This means that area A has probably been settled from B NOT the other way around even though the absolute frequencies might suggest this.

These statements are valid for any people on this planet.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 04:00

A newer theory, formulated during the 1990s, says that during the Ice Age the ancestors of the Finns lived at one of the three habitable areas of southern Europe, so called refugias. The two other habitable areas were home for Indo-European and the Basque languages. According to this theory the Fenno-Ugrics spread to the north as ice melted. They populated central and northern Europe, while Basques populated western Europe. Later the Indo-European language speakers presented agriculture to their neughbouring hunter-gatherers. While the Fenno-Ugric and Basque hunter-gatherers learned how to cultivate land they also learned the culture and the language of cultivators, so they became Indo-Europeans. Soon these new Indo-Europeans had population growth caused by agriculture, and they moved to new areas and Indoeuropeanized the local hunter-gatherers, and so on. This is how Celtic, Germanic, Slavic and Baltic languages were born. Finns were not Indo-Europeanized because of their isolated location, and this explains why their language is not related but genes are closely related with Indo-Europeans of central Europe. However, this theory is not accepted by the majority of researchers. It is not easily disproved with archaeological evidence, but many linguistical scientists consider it impossible.

The genetic research points out that the Finns are most related with the Germanic language speakers. According to a wide genetic research the closest group to the Finns are suprisingly the Germanic Flemings of Belgium. It is also remarkable that the similarity is in genes that inherit only from female to female. This suggests that they had common ancestress, probably in the same the late Ice Age refugia. However, the genetic similarity does not necessarily prove that a common language ever existed, or that the common language would have been a Fenno-Ugric one. The Fenno-Ugrian language may have developed and spread only after the Ice Age.

I found this from Wikpedia, 'history of Finland'

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 04:58

Well, Estonians (or their semi-ancestors atleast) have certainly been Mongol looking, but were mixed by the next culture that immigrated here, Venekirves kultuur, who were more European looking and during time, the quite modern looking Estonians evolved onto the current area of Estonia.

It is just too bad that most other Finno-Ugric ethnicities other than the Finns, Estonians and Hungarians are being consumed by Russian language and culture.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Tiera View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 09:14
Comment about "Mongol looks" (the definition probably being the eye fold, facial proportions?). The following is known:
Most European peoples of today have a certain amount of this look. This becomes apparent when one sees e.g. the Icelandic singer Bjrk. There needen't be any special gene flow event explaning this (but rather speaks for the genetic homogeneity of all human kind). However, there are a few known recent asiatic genetic flows into Europe: the huns, Mongol + Tatar invasion of Russia and the following westernward migrations and the Ottoman Empire are examples.
In eastern Europe there's even a more recent source of a "mongol look": the Tatars who came/were transported to the shores of the Baltic sea during the 19th century (e.g. Tatars who laboured in Suomenlinna/Sveaborg as Russians made their own fortifications there). The model Ninja Sarasalo is an example. I'm not sure if the frequency of a "mongol look" is higher in Estonia, Finland or Sapmi than in any other comparable European country. Perhaps there IS, however, a distinct "Fennic" look to these people?
No-one knows what the peoples of the Venekirves kultuur looked like. By theway, is this the same as the Battle-axe culture which in Finland traditionally has been associated with the arrival of the Indo-european speakers? Or does it belong to the earlier comb ceramic cultures of the Baltic which are associated with a Finno-Ugric language?
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 11:58
The Battle-axe culture is thought to be the substrate element of Proto-Germanic language (Grimm's Law and words related to seafaring, agriculture and communal institutions). Their predecessors were the Beaker folk but, as far as I know, neither have been thought to be Indo-European.

Edited by Kuu-ukko
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 04:24

Well, in my history book, i have two pics, one of a man from venekirves culture, and the other from the kammkeraamika culture, the kammkeraamika guy was all Mongoloid looking and the later immigrated venekirves culture guy was quite European looking.

I will revise my history book to see what i can get on the cultures.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Tiera View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 07:48
heh, how old or how serious is the history book you're reading Kalevipoeg? How on earth can any book claim to know how meso/neolithic people looked like as the skeletal finds are so scarce? And even if one had hundreds of whole skeletons, how could one possibly reconstruct the soft tissue accurately.
ksy820326 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ksy820326 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 08:01
Spam

Edited by Cywr
Hrodger View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hrodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 08:12
It would be intresting to hear research conducted on graves in northern
Europe, and not on present population, now when there is a
method for evaluating DNA from degraded human remains.

What is Grimm's Law?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 13:31
I have no idea, but there are two pictures of sculptures of men of that time.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 20:46
Originally posted by Hrodger

What is Grimm's Law?

It's a law of sound change in the Germanic languages, discovered by and named for the very same Brothers Grimm of fairytale fame.

PIE ........... Germanic
p, t, k ------> f, , x
b, d, g ------> p, t, k
bh, dh, gh ---> b, d, g

Hence cognates like German "fisch" and Spanish "pez/pescado", and English "brother" and Latin "frater" (Latin /f/ came from PIE /bh/ word initially.)
Tiera View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 09:49
What, kalevipoeg? Your book has photos of sculptures dating to meso/neolithic times found in Estonia? And the sculptures depict asian looking people? Hm?
Tiera View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 09:57
Also, to Phalanx in reply to his earlier posting: If you look at the map of Finno-Ugric speakers of today you notice that they are confined to "islands" surrounded by Indo-European speakers. This would logically suggest that the IE language speakers  has been sort of  "poured" INTO speakers of FU languages. The opposite theory, that the FU speakers would have travelled long distances THROUGH IE language speakers, seems a bit less probable, no?
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2005 at 06:33

Originally posted by Cevlakohn

PIE ........... Germanic
p, t, k ------> f, , x
b, d, g ------> p, t, k
bh, dh, gh ---> b, d, g

I've been thinking about something like that myself.. it's simplified though (of course it is, and it should be, because it's a model ), we dont have the in Dutch and other modern Germanic languages often lack the x in return. I think there are many subrules to this, like

Other Germanic -> Dutch

sk --------------> sx

ju ---------------> ie

So I think by saying k should be x in germanic in that general list is a little bit too much into (Dutch) detail. It's an interesting little list though

Whatever you do, don't
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2005 at 17:16

"What, kalevipoeg? Your book has photos of sculptures dating to meso/neolithic times found in Estonia? And the sculptures depict asian looking people? Hm?"

No, they are plaster reconstructions, logically. And what is the amazemnet at the earlier one being Asian looking. The Finns had beaty little eyes in their earlier years and so did Estonians as they were from Asia, logical. Did you think Finns and Estonians came to their current locations with their big blue eyes and white hair???

Edited by Kalevipoeg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>