Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Strongest rival of Byzantine Empire

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who and Why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [10.53%]
8 [42.11%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.53%]
2 [10.53%]
1 [5.26%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.26%]
3 [15.79%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Strongest rival of Byzantine Empire
    Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 10:43
 Through it's existence, the Byzantine empire faced many enemies some of them were weak and the other were mighty  the byzantines managed to survive by military power or diplomacy or any other way they could find.

from the foundation,first decline,Justinan reconquest,Arab conquest,fighting for survive,the revival under Basil I,Turks arrival and settlement,decline's arrested under Comnenus dynasty, Crusades,Fragmentation,recover Constantinpole to the last stand against the Turks,the empire showed a unique act in whole history.

What is your opinion?who was the strongest rival?who are the most strong rival that the byzantine had tactical difficulties in warfare to deal with him?
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 12:01
thast a hard one for me. From what i know you have the sassanids battle it out toe to toe for quite a while .weakened from this and (the plague?) they get hammered by the newly mobilise and converted islamic armies. after all of these set backs did the turks come in and take the rest.

so ill say, the sassanids becase they battle it out much harder for much longer

but then agian the latins had the knife for the back, very dangerous......
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 04:02
   In Asia and Africa the Arabs were the menace for the Byzantines-they managed to capture and hold enormous parts of the empire-same as the Bulgars in Europe. Mainly this two nations formed how the Byzantium's territory would be: Thessaloniki+Southern end of the Balcan peninsula+South-East Thrace+Asia Minor. I didn't vote for the Sassanids because they didn't manage to hold permanently any significant part of the empire, same for the Gothic tribes.    
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 04:29

I voted for Papacy. I think that it was not only the strongest rival Byzantine eimpre have met, but also the main who provoked its colapse.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 06:53
I voted for Papacy, because whole Crusading movement was very bad for Byzantines and eventually culminating with 4th crusade.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 08:16
This is a rather tough question, seeing as Byzantium endured for roughly a thousand years, and in that time many mighty challengers came and went.

The Bulgars are a good example of this, who during the reign of Khan Krum (d. 814) and his followers were quite the threat, but later faded into obscurity. The Visigoths, Ostrogoths and the Vandals were just passing threats, comparatively speaking. The Sassanids too had their burst of conquest, until Heraclius' campaign shattered their power, then they too faded in favour of the Arabs. The Arabs, unlike many others, managed to conquer and hold about half of the Empire's land. Their incursions in Anatolia and attempts at Constantinople, however, seem rather futile. The Seljuks were the first to make seriously alarming progress, after they overran most of Anatolia there really wasn't much "empire" left. The Crusaders managed to push the Seljuks temporarily back, but they also pushed the Byzantines back in many ways, especially in 1204. The Papacy is an interesting suggestion, I don't feel they were much of threat other than on the religious level though, Innocent III never meant for the 4th Crusade to make stops in Dalmatia and Constantinople. Lastly, the Ottomans did finish the Empire off, but to it seems a bit unfair to give them much credit for the defeat of someone already defeated, at this point the military and financial power of Byzantium was a laughing matter in Christendom.
 Post Reply Post Reply