Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arab and spanish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Aktufe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aktufe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arab and spanish
    Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 04:36
If there was no invasion in 711, why did Tariq ibn-Ziyad mention Roderick, the last visigoth king of spain, in his address to his soldiers?

"Remember that I place myself in the front of this glorious charge which I exhort you to make. At the moment when the two armies meet hand to hand, you will see me, never doubt it, seeking out this Roderick, tyrant of his people, challenging him to combat, if God is willing. If I perish after this, I will have had at least the satisfaction of delivering you, and you will easily find among you an experienced hero, to whom you can confidently give the task of directing you. But should I fall before I reach to Roderick, redouble your ardor, force yourselves to the attack and achieve the conquest of this country, in depriving him of life. With him dead, his soldiers will no longer defy you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariq_ibn-Ziyad

...and why dont you tone it down with the whole circus fantasy thing. We're here to discuss.

Edited by Aktufe - 17-Oct-2006 at 04:37
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 09:39
Please, don't feed the troll Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 11:23
Originally posted by Worldhistory

I don't think you are a Spanish speaker at all while your assumed "inside view" may very well be as full of, for the lack of a better word, sh*t as...well, your insides?

Some Spaniards may indeed refer to Muslims as Moors but many Spaniards also use the terms "Arabe" and "Muculmanos" to describe any Muslim.

I am a Spanish Speaker and that I understand what "Arabe" means (Arab) now for your "Muculmanos" the term es "Musulman" (singular) and "Musulmanes" (plural). The word "Muculmano" does not exist in Spanish, by the way the word "Desperado" is not Spanish either LOL

Now, you are not going to teach ME what MORO means in Spanish. Means Moroccan, Maghrebian, Infidel, Muslim, light brown. That's what the famous word mean. Zidane and Kaddafi are Moors.

Originally posted by pinguin

This is of course an example of the literary corruption that attempts to deceive the reader because "Muslim" in Spanish is not Moor but "Muculmano".

Do you believe Spanish is a poor language? Forget it. Sarraceno, Arabe, Musulman, Moreno, Moro, Mahometano, Morisco  are all terms related with the topic but with slight different meanings. 

Now rebadging one word for another may suit your own personal fantasies but it's nevertheless delusional. The Spanish term Moro has a different meaning to that of the Spanish term Muculmano.

Yes, you are right. Musulman (No muculmano, please, that sounds idiotic) has the meaning of follower of Allah. Moro, has the meaning of brown foreigner, and it was applied to all the Muslims that lived in Spain, particularly Berbers, but by extension to ANY MUSLIM.

The Al-Andalus written about by the Saracens was a island, Spain is not an island but of course little details like these are not mentioned. If such important details were to be mentioned, the children might dare to make sense of it all and God forbid even ask questions.

Common, are you really going to believe THAT? Show your evidency please.

While the English speaking world uses the name Germany to describe the European nation north-east of France, the Spaniards, Portuguese and French call it Allemania and the inhabitants Allemani.

The point is, the title Al-Andalus was coined not by the Spaniards, the Saracens, Arabs or Moors but by some idiot, usually English, historian who popularized the fantasy that Al-Andalus was Spain instead of Sardinia and Corsica which the Saracens actually invaded in the 720s AD.

Where the HECK do you get that? Van Sertima? Van Danniken? Pseudo-history, no doubt.

Spain has always been known as Spain, Hispania, Iberia, Celiberia and never has a Spanish province ever been called anything like Al-Andalus.

There is not one ancient historical document ever calling a province of Spain as something remotely close to the term Al-Andalus.

Are you sure? That's absolutely false.

The Vandal and Visigothic links are of course similar fantasies where amature historians have mistaken Gothic and Vandal presence in the region of Armenia (also known as Iberia) and translated such events as happening in the region of Spain.

What an ignorange. Germanic tribes existed in Spain for a long time. Where do you think the word bandido came from? What kind of sect do you belong?

Further more, they've intangled geniune events of Vandal, Gothic and Arab incursions in Iberia (Armenia) which did occur in the 8th century with unrelated events that occured in Iberia (Spain) much later in the 12-13th century.

Oh Lord! You are really nuts.

Hence the absurdity of Gothic, Vandal presence in Spain. Where original texts record Gothic incursions in a province of Gaul near the Danube river in modern day Romania and Hungary the corrupt and child like English translations reads Gothic and Vandal incursions in Galicia, Spain where they've translated Galatia to be Spanish Galicia when infact it's a Gallic province by the Danube river that should be mentioned.

All the North of Spain was Goth.

There was never any invasion of southern Spain in 711 AD. It's just the invasion of the islands of Al-Andalus which was Sardinia and Corsica. From Corsica the Saracens (Arabs) landed by ship in Southern France where they were eventually met by Charlemagne in and around 730 AD.

By rebadging Spain as Al-Andalus, have the circus managers been able to fool children into thinking that all of Spain was conquered and that the Muslims reached all the way to southern France where they wre finally defeated by Charlemagne in 730 AD. We are then told that the muslims retreated back to Al-Andalus, where people think Al-Andalus means Spain, and lived happily ever after.

Yes, and Toledo, Granada, Cordoba never existed. 

The truth is that the Saracen Arabs did invade southern France but, as documented, they arrived by ship a few years after having conquered Sardinia and Corsica - the true Al-Andalus.

The people which propagate the fantasy that Southern Spain was invaded in 711 AD and in 2 days the entire peninsula (mind you a peninsula larger than both the Italian and Greek peninsulas put together) was conquered source their information from the texts that actually refer to the Saracen invasion of the island of Al-Andalus (Sardinia) and their attempt to conquer southern France. 

Yes. There is not a remain of the Muslims in Spain. Yeap. Sure-

If you're not competent enough to see through the fairy tales of Al-Andalus being something called Spain then you're certainly not going to see through the fairy tales of something called Visigothic Spain.

I think you'll find more words in German being of Spanish origin since Spanish is Latin based and the Germans didn't even have a writing system.

Further more, it's only natural for there being a certain amount of blondism in the Spanish population since they're a Celtic people - Celtiberians.

Blondism is found in every Celtic nation from Portugal to Belgium and France. 

Not only Celts. Germans also invaded Spain during the Middle Ages. That's recorderd.

That's right, this invasion in the 12-13th AD century was defeated an only the portion of Granada (no more Al-Andalus eh?) remained as an Islamic province as a vassal to the Christian kings.

Because of the little impact of this genuine invasion in the 12-13th AD century have fairy tales been invented and historical facts distorted to create the fantasy of a 700 year Islamic rule over Spain.

That was not an actual invasion. The Muslims of Spain ask for help to theirs brother of North Africa because Al-Andalus was begining to fall down. Granada it was the last land of the Moors in Spain. The last part of Al-Andalus.

Pinguin

Worldhistory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote Worldhistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 00:55
Originally posted by Aktufe

If there was no invasion in 711, why did Tariq ibn-Ziyad mention Roderick, the last visigoth king of spain, in his address to his soldiers?

"Remember that I place myself in the front of this glorious charge which I exhort you to make. At the moment when the two armies meet hand to hand, you will see me, never doubt it, seeking out this Roderick, tyrant of his people, challenging him to combat, if God is willing. If I perish after this, I will have had at least the satisfaction of delivering you, and you will easily find among you an experienced hero, to whom you can confidently give the task of directing you. But should I fall before I reach to Roderick, redouble your ardor, force yourselves to the attack and achieve the conquest of this country, in depriving him of life. With him dead, his soldiers will no longer defy you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariq_ibn-Ziyad

But the 711 AD Saracen invasion was not in Spain. It was in Al-Andalus, an island in the Med (Sardinia) invaded by the Saracens.

Only modern historians have been rebadging the 711 AD event as happening in modern Spain.

Muslims did invade Iberia in the 8th century but it was Iberia - modern day Armenia, by the Black Sea.

The proponents of the 711 AD invasion of modern Spain have gone down the same erroneous track by thinking there was a Gothic presence in Iberia - Spain. There wasn't.

The Gothic presence in the 8th century Iberia was only in modern day Armenia by the Black Sea and not Spain.

It's very simple, historians have misinterpreted Black Sea Iberia with the Iberia - modern Spain.

Invasions of Iberia - modern day Spain only occured 300 years later in the 12th century.

The Roderick mentioned above has nothing to do with modern Spain. Translators have taken the liberty to place such events in Spain because they've mistaken "Iberia" in older texts as meaning Spain where in fact it meant Armenia by the Black Sea.

Some translators have read in the original document "Galatia" and translated this word into Galicia - a Spanish province where's infact it has nothing to do with Spain but everything to do with Gallic provinces near the Danube from where the Goths, Alemanni and even Arabs were attacking.

The Saracens in the 8th century invaded from the east near the Black sea Iberia and not from south in modern day Morroco.

There was even a region of modern Turkey called Galatia - province of Gaul. Look it up for yourselfs.

The Saracen invasions of Eastern Europe during the 8th century are very well documented, it's just not as popular as the fairytales of an invasion of Spain in the 8th century.

Edited by Worldhistory - 18-Oct-2006 at 01:55
Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote Worldhistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 01:34

The word "Muculmano" does not exist in Spanish,

Of course the word exists, it's just written now days as "musulmn" where the letters "c" and "s" can be interchanged.

Type Muslim in the below Spanish-English site and you'll see the response.

By the way, you're pretty anal about the difference between the words "muculmano" and ""musulmn" but you're very agreeable to believe the word "Al-Andalus" is equal to the word "Spain".

What an ignorange. Germanic tribes existed in Spain for a long time. Where do you think the word bandido came from? What kind of sect do you belong?

This is so childish I'm not even going to respond. I'm dealing with someone with an IQ of a ping pong ball.

Gothic presence was in Iberia - modern day Armenia by the Black Sea.

"The emperor Valens, who respected the obligations of the treaty, and who was apprehensive of involving the East in a dangerous war, ventured, with slow and cautious measures, to support the Roman party in the kingdoms of Iberia and Armenia."

"The Euphrates was protected by the valor of Arintheus. A powerful army, under the command of Count Trajan, and of Vadomair, king of the Alemanni, fixed their camp on the confines of Armenia. But they were strictly enjoined not to commit the first hostilities, which might be understood as a breach of the treaty: and such was the implicit obedience of the Roman general, that they retreated, with exemplary patience, under a shower of Persian arrows till they had clearly acquired a just title to an honorable and legitimate victory. Yet these appearances of war insensibly subsided in a vain and tedious negotiation. The contending parties supported their claims by mutual reproaches of perfidy and ambition; and it should seem, that the original treaty was expressed in very obscure terms, since they were reduced to the necessity of making their inconclusive appeal to the partial testimony of the generals of the two nations, who had assisted at the negotiations. The invasion of the Goths and Huns which soon afterwards shook the foundations of the Roman empire"

The above is an example of Gemanic (Alemanni) presence in Iberia - Armenia. I'm not inventing it.

Yes, and Toledo, Granada, Cordoba never existed. 

But this is the 12-13th century invasion not the 711 AD invasion of Al-Andalus the island in the Med.

The erroneous articles you've been reading have been intangling two separate events and rebadging it as one single event in the incorrect place.

That was not an actual invasion. The Muslims of Spain ask for help to theirs brother of North Africa because Al-Andalus was begining to fall down. Granada it was the last land of the Moors in Spain. The last part of Al-Andalus.

I agree with this but this was the 12-13th century event and not the 711 AD event when the Saracens invaded an island (Sardinia) in the Med called Al-Andalus and a few years later invaded the province of Septemania in Southern France where they were defeated by Martel.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 09:22

Of course the word exists, it's just written now days as "musulmn" where the letters "c" and "s" can be interchanged.

Type Muslim in the below Spanish-English site and you'll see the response.

By the way, you're pretty anal about the difference between the words "muculmano" and ""musulmn" but you're very agreeable to believe the word "Al-Andalus" is equal to the word "Spain".

Of course it does not exist. You seem to be one of those English speaker fellows that believe in Spanish the words "Desperado" "Atalavista" and many other stupid translations actually exist LOL

What kind of Afrocentric cult do you follow? It seem I already know Big smile

[

This is so childish I'm not even going to respond. I'm dealing with someone with an IQ of a ping pong ball.

Pretty good description of yourself. You shouldn't deal with yourself such often. Wink

Gothic presence was in Iberia - modern day Armenia by the Black Sea.

Jesus! You really need an education, man.

Read:

Al-Andalus (Arabic: الأندلس) was the Arabic name given to those parts of the Iberian Peninsula governed by Muslims from 711 to 1492.[1] It refers to the Governorate, Emirate (ca 750-929) and Caliphate of Crdoba (929-1031) and its taifa successor kingdoms.

And read:

The Vandals were an East Germanic tribe that entered the late Roman Empire during the 5th century. The Vandals may have given their name to the region of Andalusia, which according to one of several theories of its etymology was originally Vandalusia (which would be the source of Al-Andalus - the Arabic name of Iberian Peninsula), in the south of present day Spain, where they temporarily settled before pushing on to Africa.

Start from there

Pinguin

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 21:28
It's been a while since I encountered such historical garbage as "WorldHistory" has been posting. As a matter of fact, his positions are so blatantly un-historical that I am suspecting that he's not only aware of their innacuracy but he's preaching them for a reason. I am failing to discern which revisionist "school" this is coming from. What is the interest someone would have in not accepting a Muslim/Arab presence in medieval Spain?  Is this Afrocentrist and how so?

Edited by konstantinius - 19-Oct-2006 at 21:29
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 21:39
I don't have a clue from which "school of though" he cames from. It doesn't seem to be Afrocentrism, though. But there is something strange in moving the physical location of Al-Andalus.

What's going on?

Pinguin

General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 23:55
I don't know either. But my gut feeling is that he/she is not propagating this nonsense out of sheer ignorance.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote Worldhistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:18

Of course it does not exist. You seem to be one of those English speaker fellows that believe in Spanish the words "Desperado" "Atalavista" and many other stupid translations actually exist.

The word exists not only in Spanish, but it also exists in Italian and French. By the way, the word Desperado does exist and it translates to desperate.

Al-Andalus was the Arabic name given to those parts of the Iberian Peninsula governed by Muslims from 711 to 1492. It refers to the Governorate, Emirate (ca 750-929) and Caliphate of Crdoba (929-1031) and its taifa successor kingdoms.

The Vandals were an East Germanic tribe that entered the late Roman Empire during the 5th century. The Vandals may have given their name to the region of Andalusia, which according to one of several theories of its etymology was originally Vandalusia (which would be the source of Al-Andalus - the Arabic name of Iberian Peninsula), in the south of present day Spain, where they temporarily settled before pushing on to Africa.

This is a good example of how many people are being fooled and mislead. The above two extracts have all the potential of a fantasy story aimed at the simple minded and Ill explain why.

1)      Rebadging

2)      Lack of detail
3)      Intermixing of unrelated events
4)      Theory based without supporting evidence
5)      No primary sources provided
6)      Misinformation

1) Rebadging This can be seen where we are asked to believe the word Al-Andalus actually means the word Spain where infact the Al-Andalus mentioned by Arabic sources clearly state Al-Andalus was an island in the  Mediterranean.

The rebadging continues where Al-Andalus sometimes means Spain, other times the entire Iberian Peninsula and other times just a southern portion of Spain. When a term can be rebadged into meaning any number of things then you cant go wrong and can invent any story that fits your self-serving fantasy.

2) Lack of detail this can be seen in the above extracts where no invasion entry point is mentioned. If it was to do so, the article could only rely on primary sources which clearly state that the Saracens landed not in Spain in the 8th century but landed in Southern France, from the island of Al-Andalusa (Sardinia), at the province called Septemia near Provence, France. It was in this region that the Saracens were defeated by Charles Martel (732 AD).

But of course this version of events, which happens to be the real recorded history, would stick out like a sore thumb to those who wish to propagate the self-serving fantasy of Spain being under Muslim control from the 8th century a complete lie with not historical foundation whatsoever.

It sticks out like a sore thumb because the primary source document details how they were Saracens, not Moors. The importance of this is that it furthers the point that the Arab invasions came from the east where Al-Andalus the island was and not from the south where Spain is. Thats why many modern articles rebadge the word Saracens to the word Moors, they do this to deceive the reader into thinking the Arab invasions of Southern France occurred from the south, in other words Spain itself and thats where according to the fantasy the Arabs finally retreated.

Well this is simply a lie. The primary source documents clearly indicate the Saracens came in 730 AD from the east by boat, from Al-Andalus the island and thats where they retreated to when they were defeated by Charles Martel.

This is backed up by other historical documents of the time which record the east-west movements of the Saracens as they took over parts of southern Italy such as Sicily and Sardinia and even attacked cities like Genoa near the French border.

Its only logical that they then move towards southern France where they are recorded as landing in the region of Septem and Provence.

The source document records a ship landing at Septem in southern France and not the imaginary fantasy landing in southern Spain propagated by some modern authors where by a fantastic miracle the entire nation of Spain was in one clean sweep under Moorish rule without even one battle.

3)    Intermixing of unrelated events further confuses the reader and disguises the articles fantasies. An example of this is the sudden shift from the 8th century to the 10th century and an even faster jump to the 13th century.

Theres not one historical document which records an 8th century Arab, let them be Saracens or Moors, landing in Spain but only in Southern France where they were defeated by Charles Martel.

4)     Theory based without supporting evidence this can be seen by the words The Vandals may have given their name with an emphasis on the word may. Anything may be true and then again may be not! Take your pick because its just fantasy.

Then we have which according to one of several theories which proves my claim that its just self-serving theories aimed at making a certain fantasy seem real. Theories are just that theories and not reality.

If there were real evidence of an 8th century Arab landing in Spain, authors would not have to rely on theories and rebadging like they do above.

If one can rebadge a whole nation without any historical foundation then one can fantasize all they want. But its just that a fantasy.

5)   No primary sources provided needless to say, not one primary source document has been provided.

You know why? Its simple, fantasy authors can never provide primary source documents because no such documents exist in the first place. This is why they are forced to rebadge and interchange the meanings of names.

Is it not astounding that for all the hoo haa about a supposed 711 AD Arab landing in Southern Spain no one has ever bothered referencing a primary source document to back up the claim much less even show us one?

Interesting how were never shown any primary source document which lists the Arab governors and where they were centered during their supposed Spanish occupation in the 8th century. Yes, were shown lists of governors from their presence on the other Iberia modern Armenia but never anything from continental Spain.

I mean, who was the 8th century Arab governor of the Spanish city of Gades, the largest city of Southern Spain right near the straights, and where is this primary source document to be found?

No one is able to answer this simple question but were asked nevertheless to accept that Al-Andalus, an island in the Mediterranean, is supposed to be the entire nation of modern Spain.

Who were these governors from the period (750-929) mentioned above and more importantly where are these primary source documents to be found? No one knows.

Fact 1: Theres not one primary source document which records an 8th century    Arab Muslim, let it be Moors or Saracens, landing anywhere in Spain.

Fact 2: Theres not one primary source document which records any Arab governorships of any city of Spain during the 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th centuries.

Fact 3: The Saracen Arabs invaded from the east where they overtook the Italian islands of Sicily, Sardinia, the cities of Genoa, Pisa and finally landed by ship at Septem, southern France in and around 730 AD where they were met and defeated by Charles Martel.

6)      Misinformation the fact remains that the 8th century Al-Andalus mentioned by the Arab historians was an island in the Mediterranean. This small but nevertheless important detail is all too often left out of many articles like the ones above.

Spain was never called Vandalia and there was never any Vandal region in Spain called Vandalia. Vandalia describes a region where the Vandals were allowed to live within the Roman Empire and this was in the region of Sicily and Southern Italy before a portion of them crossed over from Southern Italy into Northern Africa, where they remained as lords for quite some time. The Alani had also joined them.

Its in these regions while the Saracens were moving from the east towards the west that they encountered the regions once named Vandalia and therefore their possible translation Al-Andalus.

It had nothing to do with modern Spain. The genuine Arab invasions of southern Spain occurred much later in the 12-13th centuries where they were defeated by the Christian kings and the region of Granada became a Muslim vassal to the Catholic kings till they were conquered in 1493 AD.

Heres a small example of how theyve confused Iberia Armenia with Iberia Spain.

Conquest remained a remarkable preoccupation. In 756-757AD came an invasion of Asia Minor, a capture of Malatiya, a defeat of the Byzantines in Cilicia which was followed by a seven years' truce with the emperor. The western Omayyad caliphate was founded in 756. In 756, Abd ar-Rahman I defeated the Abbaside emirs, and founded his kingdom at Cordova. His reign meant constant warfare and he had to suppress many revolts. By 762AD the Abbasid dynasty ruling Iraq had decided on Baghdad its capital - meaning that Baghdad remained the capital of the Islamic Caliphate.

The Asia Minor mentioned above includes regions of Iberia-modern Armenia, Galatia, a region in modern Turkey and Cilicia which some authors have incorrectly translated into Galicia, whereby people think of the Spanish province Galicia. The kingdom called Cordova which Abd ar-Rahman I founded as mentioned in the above article is not in modern Spain but in the region of the Middle East and Asia Minor where the other Iberia also exists.

The Abbasid dynasty which Abd ar-Rahman I defeated in 756 AD was not in modern Spain but in the regions of modern Iraq, which happens to be just south of Iberia modern Armenia.

Everything in that article is in and around Iberia Armenia, Turkey, Syria and Iraq, exactly the regions where the Saracens and Arabs live.

Fantasy authors just rely on people being historically illiterate and gullible like children. These children, once infected, then only propagate silly stories and because the majority of people are both gullible and historically illiterate such fantasy stories become more popular than the true recorded events themselves.

This is how it goes:

8th -13th century            - authors transfer the history of Iberia (Armenia) to Iberia (Spain)

- authors rebadge the story of Al-Andalus the island in the Mediterranean as being Spain.

- authors rebadge the 730 AD landing at Septem, France as a landing in Southern Spain.

13th 16th century        - this is where the real history with respects to southern Spain in the region of Granada occurs but even this fact is distorted because they fail to mention that Granada was a vassal region to the Catholic kings.

Just like the false stories of Vandal, Suebi and Gothic presence in Spain due to the confusion of Armenian Iberia with Spanish Iberia and the tendency for authors with no scruples to rebadge words has fueled the fantasy of a 700 year Arab Muslim presence in Iberia Spain - a fantasy that will one day be totally quashed and vindicated.

Im not even Spanish, so what do I care. Let the bored wind up the ignorant.

Edited by Worldhistory - 20-Oct-2006 at 00:27
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:52
 WoW! There is no evidence of Muslim presence in Spain prior to the 12th C.? Are you crazy? This is a History forum, not an asylum for the Historically insane. Have you heard of Cordoba? It's not a fantasy, it's a real fu..in' city, it's fuc..ng Arabic in architecture, and it was built in 950 fu..in' AD. You can go visit if you wish.
There are hundreds, THOUSANDS perhaps, commercial documents recording transactions between Christian and Muslim villages along the frontier written both in arabic and the form of Spanish they were using then dating from 790 onwards.
There are treaties signed between independent fu..in' STATES such as the treaty signed in 1002 AD between the amir of Saragossa and Navarre settling border differences along the Ebro. This a real document, not a fantasy.
You are saying there is no archaeological record of Muslim Spain? There is only two possibilities: either the archaeological record is lying or you are. There are arabic coins cut in the 800's in the mints of Cordoba that have been found as far north as Jutland, and Constantinople and Baghdad in the East. And we know they're from there 'cause it says fu..in' "Made in Cordoba" on them;

They came from the East on boats??? Are you fuc..in' serious? They came from all over the fuc..ng place, they were the Abbasids for chrisakes. They owned the entire N. African coast, other Arabs owned Sicily and had outposts on Corsica, Sardinia, and S. France, and guess what, there's fuc..ng WATER in between so they crossed over in BOATS, Sherlock.

Al-Andalus is an island? No, but it INCLUDES islands like the Balearics. Are you confused about that too?

I'm aghast and my BP is getting higher by the pulse. Furthermore, I in the real world, am off to work. But I'll be back; oh yeah, I'll be back...

Edited by konstantinius - 20-Oct-2006 at 00:57
Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote Worldhistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 01:16
Originally posted by konstantinius

WoW! There is no evidence of Muslim presence in Spain prior to the 12th C.? Are you crazy? This is a History forum, not an asylum for the Historically insane. Have you heard of Cordoba? It's not a fantasy, it's a real fu..in' city, it's fuc..ng Arabic in architecture, and it was built in 950 fu..in' AD. You can go visit if you wish.
There are hundreds, THOUSANDS perhaps, commercial documents recording transactions between Christian and Muslim villages along the frontier written both in arabic and the form of Spanish they were using then dating from 790 onwards.
There are treaties signed between independent fu..in' STATES such as the treaty signed in 1002 AD between the amir of Saragossa and Navarre settling border differences along the Ebro. This a real document, not a fantasy.
You are saying there is no archaeological record of Muslim Spain? There is only two possibilities: either the archaeological record is lying or you are. There are arabic coins cut in the 800's in the mints of Cordoba that have been found as far north as Jutland, and Constantinople and Baghdad in the East. And we know they're from there 'cause it says fu..in' "Made in Cordoba" on them;

They came from the East on boats??? Are you fuc..in' serious? They came from all over the fuc..ng place, they were the Abbasids for chrisakes. They owned the entire N. African coast, other Arabs owned Sicily and had outposts on Corsica, Sardinia, and S. France, and guess what, there's fuc..ng WATER in between so they crossed over in BOATS, Sherlock.

Al-Andalus is an island? No, but it INCLUDES islands like the Balearics. Are you confused about that too?

I'm aghast and my BP is getting higher by the pulse. Furthermore, I in the real world, am off to work. But I'll be back; oh yeah, I'll be back...

A lot of the usual hot gas and no real evidence, must be a cultural thing.

One can't deny the fixation Asiatic peoples have with Europe in general and Western Europe in particular. 

What, you think there were no cities in Spain before the nomadic Arabs arrived in the 12-13th century? You think by rebadging a pre-existing Catholic buildings and calling it an Islamic Mosque is architecture? Get real.

All they've ever done is rebadge, mislead and lie about events.

I suggest people one day read genuine primary sources instead of the garbagge disguised as history that's out there.

Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote Worldhistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 01:20
Originally posted by konstantinius

There are arabic coins cut in the 800's in the mints of Cordoba that have been found as far north as Jutland, and Constantinople and Baghdad in the East. And we know they're from there 'cause it says fu..in' "Made in Cordoba" on them;

Coins supposedly minted in the 800s saying they're made in Cordoba Spain eh?

Alright then, shows us here one such coin that proves it was minted in Spain and don't come back till you do.

Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote Worldhistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 01:30
Could you also provide here some real proof of that Ebro document. Thanks.

Can't wait to see this, it's going to be like Saddam's Weapons of Mass Destruction.

I small torn up undated letter is all the proof needed to support the fantasy of the 700 years of Arab presence in Spain. LOL

Edited by Worldhistory - 20-Oct-2006 at 01:33
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 02:14

What, you think there were no cities in Spain before the nomadic Arabs arrived in the 12-13th century?
Those nomadic Arabs were building new cities since the 8th century.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 06:47
Who ever said in this discussion that there were no cities in Spain prior to the arrival of the Arabs? Are you mad? Is this what you're on about, some kind of anti-Arab trip? You keep going on making things up that were never said.
As for the evidence that you ask, go to your local library and pick up any book on medieval Spain; you will find information you never imagined before. On my end, I'll try and post photos of the coins, albeit my lackof a scanner. I've seen  the book in the library here in SF; the document I have not personally seen and my information comes from  David Nicolle and Angus McBride's  "El Cid and the Reconquista, 1050-1492", part of Osprey's Men-At-Arms series, if it's any concern to you.  Unlike you,  I am not dillusional and don't have any reason to doubt the validity of their information.

So, what's your version--short--of Spanish history between, say,  300-900  AD?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 16:27

Indeed!

Spain had one native born civilization, Tarsis or Tartessos. Afterwards Spain was a colony of Cartago, then of Rome, and it was a Visigothic state when the Muslims invaded. Muslims captured a civilization that has already all its cities build! Muslims just brough more tech and invested in public works and in water infrastructure for agriculture.

This is Tarsis, or Tartessos, the Iberian and Native civilization of Spain, that is contemporarty to the kingdom of King Solomon, and shows in the Bible

Pinguin
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 18:36
Could someone help with the posting of pictures? I had bunch of photos scanned to my email inbox, how do I post them on thethread?
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 18:37
Men, he is following the old theories of Olage then supported by a severals historians. The evolution of the groups that support their theories are very curious.

1. The ideas of Olage was of extreme right, deniying the arrival of arabs and giving to Al-Andalus a native origin plus relations with middle easterns.

2. The moderate arabs adopt the theory. Why? Moderates specially from western countries, never from the East and not islamic extremist (these last two groups are pride of the arab conquerors); because this concept of relation between Iberia and the Islam was a model for a pacific islamization of the West, perfectly accord with the mentality of the western muslims.

3. Extreme Left: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". The extreme left has an special relation with the Islam, of sympathy of course; here we have too an antysistem feeling: deny the "official" history, include here the traditional Al-Andalus history, it is an exercise of self reinforcing.

4. Andalucian Nationalist: there is a small nationalist movement in Andaluca. They try to take for they the entire legate of Al-Andalus and other cultures of the iberian history; but of course, they don't want support an ancient invasion of the underdeveloped arabs. They was a great culture and took the better of the Middle East...

Here we have one of those guys.

General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 18:48
I'm not particularly pro-Arab either but History is History and I won't allow falsifications if I can help it. Please help, how do I post my pics?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>