Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100 most influential persons in history.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 most influential persons in history.
    Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 08:11
I came across this list compiled by some american author Michael Hart listing the top 100 persons who have influenced the world.

1. Muhammad
  2. Isaac Newton
  3. Jesus Christ
  4. Buddha
  5. Confucius
  6. St. Paul
  7. Ts'ai Lun
  8. Johann Gutenberg
  9. Christopher Columbus
  10. Albert Einstein
  11. Louis Pasteur
  12. Galileo Galilei
  13. Aristotle
  14. Euclid
  15. Moses
  16. Charles Darwin
  17. Shih Huang Ti
  18. Augustus Caesar
  19. Nicolaus Copernicus
  20. Antoine Laurent Lavoisier
  21. Constantine the Great
  22. James Watt
  23. Michael Faraday
  24. James Clerk Maxwell
  25. Martin Luther
  26. George Washington
  27. Karl Marx
  28. Orville and Wilbur Wright
  29. Genghis Khan
  30. Adam Smith
  31. Edward de Vere or William Shakespeare
  32. John Dalton
  33. Alexander the Great
  34. Napoleon Bonaparte
  35. Thomas Edison
  36. Antony van Leeuwenhoek
  37. William T.G. Morton
  38. Guglielmo Marconi
  39. Adolf Hitler
  40. Plato
  41. Oliver Cromwell
  42. Alexander Graham Bell
  43. Alexander Fleming
  44. John Locke
  45. Ludwig van Beethoven
  46. Werner Heisenberg
  47. Louis Daguerre
  48. Simon Bolivar
  49. Rene Descartes
  50. Michelangelo
  51. Pope Urban II
  52. Umar ibn al-Khattab
  53. Asoka
  54. St. Augustine
  55. William Harvey
  56. Ernest Rutherford
  57. John Calvin
  58. Gregor Mendel
  59. Max Planck
  60. Joseph Lister
  61. Nikolaus August Otto
  62. Francisco Pizarro
  63. Hernando Cortes
  64. Thomas Jefferson
  65. Queen Isabella I
  66. Joseph Stalin
  67. Julius Caesar
  68. William the Conqueror
  69. Sigmund Freud
  70. Edward Jenner
  71. Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen
  72. Johann Sebastian Bach
  73. Lao Tzu
  74. Voltaire
  75. Johannes Kepler
  76. Enrico Fermi
  77. Leonhard Euler
  78. Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  79. Nicoli Machiavelli
  80. Thomas Malthus
  81. John F. Kennedy
  82. Gregory Pincus
  83. Mani
  84. Lenin
  85. Sui Wen Ti
  86. Vasco da Gama
  87. Cyrus the Great
  88. Peter the Great
  89. Mao Zedong
  90. Francis Bacon
  91. Henry Ford
  92. Mencius
  93. Zoroaster
  94. Queen Elizabeth I
  95. Mikhail Gorbachev
  96. Menes
  97. Charlemagne
  98. Homer
  99. Justinian I
  100. Mahavira
I find it difficult to agree to the rankings. Wonder what do the members have to say on this. What would be the changes you would like to make ?
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 11:16
mao zedong:ı am Atatrk of the China...
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 11:29
Interesting top 3: the greatest powrs of Islam, Atheism and Christianity. I would put JC over Muhammed, (please hear me out, dont start freaking! Wink) because he came first. Is it not said in Islam that the Christians started out the right way but got the message of God wrong, whereas Muhammed got it right? If that is the case, Islam was inspired by Christianty and therefore JC was more influential, because he influcenced both Christians and Muslims...

But please do tell me when you think I'm bonkers (might as well say it, someone will anyway...)

-edit- i'd like to add that I'm an atheist, so I do not base my theory on personal preference.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 22-Sep-2006 at 11:30

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 11:35

Then Moses should be at the top of the list. There are hundreds of such lists anyway, big deal.

Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 11:58
1.Jesus Christ
2.Muhammad
3.Constantine the Great

I placed JC first beacuse thanks to christianity,now islam exist.I put Constantine on third place because he made christianity an equal religion in Roman Empire and this open the way to its influence in europe.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 12:54

We've had this exact same topic, with the exact same list a year or so ago, and the discussion rambled on for 10 pages. Let's get serious here: this type of list is extremely subjective. How do you compare Netwon with Muhammad or Jesus or Columbus? It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like pianos and lollipops. There simply are not any objective criteria as to what makes a person more important than another. This is a list made by a Westerner who seems to value science quite a bit and it would be very different if it was made by say an African who is interested first and foremost in art or a Chinese who is interested in religion.

The reaction of that Turk forumer says it all: for him Ataturk was probably the most important person in history; for someone like myself, Ataturk would not crack the top 100. But it's simply a matter of values, background and criteria used.

Frankly, I think that the whole exercise is rather pointless, and the initial author of the list probably made it so that he could exploit our society's obsession with rankings, and sell his book.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 13:10
Originally posted by Decebal

We've had this exact same topic, with the exact same list a year or so ago, and the discussion rambled on for 10 pages. Let's get serious here: this type of list is extremely subjective. How do you compare Netwon with Muhammad or Jesus or Columbus? It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like pianos and lollipops. There simply are not any objective criteria as to what makes a person more important than another. This is a list made by a Westerner who seems to value science quite a bit and it would be very different if it was made by say an African who is interested first and foremost in art or a Chinese who is interested in religion.

The reaction of that Turk forumer says it all: for him Ataturk was probably the most important person in history; for someone like myself, Ataturk would not crack the top 100. But it's simply a matter of values, background and criteria used.

Frankly, I think that the whole exercise is rather pointless, and the initial author of the list probably made it so that he could exploit our society's obsession with rankings, and sell his book.

excellent post. Star  I wouldnt be surprised though if someone still has a go at rearranging the list.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 15:12

What the f**k does it mean when one claims Johann Sebastian Bach is one rank "higher" than Lao Tzu, or Plato is 10 ranks higher than Michelangelo????

These ranks are absolutely idiotic. People should stop ranking (based entirely on subjective and undefiniable standards) or getting obsessed with ranking and start doing some real thinking.

Edited by flyingzone - 22-Sep-2006 at 15:14
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 19:57
Whoa, this list is insane. Shakespeare over Fleming? Is Michael Hart insane? Who is more influentual, a playwright or a guy who makes an antibiotic that saves thousands of lives. How is Beethoven more influential than the guy who started the crusades? My gosh, this list is horrible!

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 20:27
There is only one Shakespeare, while an antibiotic would have been found eventually.

But I agree about the stupidity of such rankings...
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 21:58
Originally posted by mamikon

There is only one Shakespeare, while an antibiotic would have been found eventually.

Still, one could argue that capitalism would have been eventually founded, but that in no way makes the man who invented it(Adam Smith) any less influential.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 22:01
I like to think of Adam Smith as observing the ongoing "change" and giving an explanation of it, not creating the ideals for it. But thats just me Smile
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 22:07
Originally posted by mamikon

I like to think of Adam Smith as observing the ongoing "change" and giving an explanation of it, not creating the ideals for it. But thats just me Smile

The example was bad, I admit, but I think the idea of the example was understood.

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 09:41

Originally posted by flyingzone

What the f**k does it mean when one claims Johann Sebastian Bach is one rank "higher" than Lao Tzu, or Plato is 10 ranks higher than Michelangelo????

These ranks are absolutely idiotic. People should stop ranking (based entirely on subjective and undefiniable standards) or getting obsessed with ranking and start doing some real thinking.

I totally agree with you Flyingzone!

That list really is a Gigantic load of CRAP!

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 15:44

Jesus should be first.

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 03:35
And the funny part I found out was that the maker of this list later replaced Shakespere with somebody whom he thought wrote the plays Shakespere is supposed to have writtel for him !!
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 15:17
Originally posted by Jay.

Jesus should be first.

Yes, or the things that have been written about his life throughout history.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Whoa, this list is insane. Shakespeare over Fleming? Is Michael Hart insane? Who is more influentual, a playwright or a guy who makes an antibiotic that saves thousands of lives. How is Beethoven more influential than the guy who started the crusades? My gosh, this list is horrible!

I never even got that far... I didn't read past three and then I got bored... Wink

'bout a year ago, they had a 'most important Dutch person' contest (or something like that, dont remember...) It was totally hyjacked by some fun-website so that the controversial widow of a recently deceased shlager singer won. Pretty funny actually, maybe this list was made by vote-your-favorite? Big smile

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 18:25
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Pretty funny actually, maybe this list was made by vote-your-favorite? Big smile

I doubt it because, if so, Jesus would be number one on the list.

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 15:34
Marx should have been in Top3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>