Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BMP-3 vs Bradley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMP-3 vs Bradley
    Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 16:06
These two armoured fighting vehicles have similar function for both Russian and US army.I will ask you,do you prefer Russian made BMP-3 or american machine bradley.Which is better and why.If you think that there is a better AFV than these two just give an example.

BMP-3:

Bradley M2/M3

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 23:22
I'll take the Bradley.   Does the BMP-3 have an equivelant missile to the Bradley's TOW?  The 100mm(?) low velocity cannon on the BMP may look impressive, but the Bradley's Bushmaster cannon can pentrate heavy armour as well.  

Also, how effective is the crew in the BMP going to be in that cramped turrent?    I can't see how they fit the 100mm cannon, the light cannon, ATGMS, a gunner and a commander in that small turrent.  

The BMP  would be the right choice for African or South American nations who don't face a real armoured threat.  The 100mm cannon on the
BMP can take the place of Main Battle Tanks.   The Russians should market a BMP light tank version in which the infantry compartment is used to store extra ammo.   This might sell well in Africa etc.

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Sep-2006 at 23:24
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 04:30
Russia proposed to Greece to co-produce the BMP-3. And Greece faces a good enemy.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 05:40
General characteristics

BMP-3              Bradley

Crew   -        3+7                  3+6

Length -        7,14m               6,55m

Width -        3,20m               3,6m

Heigth -        2,40m               3,0m

Weight -        18700kg              22680kg

Main             100mm gun            25mm cannon
Armament -       30mm autocannon    

Secondary -     3x7,62 mm PKT        1x7,62mm   
Armament        6 smoke dischargers   1x twin tube TOW

Power Plant - DieselEngine          Cummins VTA-903T
                    500Hp               600Hp

Max Speed -       70km/h               66km/h

Range -          600km                 483km

Power/Weigth     27 hp/tonne           19,74 hp/tonne

Service Date -    1990                 1981

Edited by Desimir - 19-Sep-2006 at 05:40
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 10:56
Originally posted by xristar

Russia proposed to Greece to co-produce the BMP-3. And Greece faces a good enemy.

Price might have been a factor in the decision.  Greece is a small nation that supports a large / modern Airforce, Navy, and Army.  Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. 

Also, what kind of IFVs does Turkey have?  The BMP-3 is probably a very cost effective weapon to counter Turkish IFVs.   If Turkey suddenly  bought 500 Warrior IFVs from Britain, would Greece want updated Bradleys?

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Sep-2006 at 11:00
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 14:51
Personally i think that BMP-3 is the better machine.First it has a bigger firepower.Yes we know that Bradley has TOW but the new versions of bmp-3 also has anti tank missiles.Bmp-3 is much more maneuvarable and faster than IFV.And i think that even american military admit that Bradley has many problems.

I know one example showing how reliable is BMP-3.Russian army used a few machines for tests in kazakhs's desert.The filtrate of one of BMP-3s was pierced by a mechanic and the desert sand began filling the engine.But the engine of BMP-3 worked for 10 hours full with sand and without any problems.

Edited by Desimir - 19-Sep-2006 at 14:52
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 18:11
Originally posted by Desimir

Personally i think that BMP-3 is the better machine.First it has a bigger firepower.Yes we know that Bradley has TOW but the new versions of bmp-3 also has anti tank missiles.Bmp-3 is much more maneuvarable and faster than IFV.And i think that even american military admit that Bradley has many problems.

I know one example showing how reliable is BMP-3.Russian army used a few machines for tests in kazakhs's desert.The filtrate of one of BMP-3s was pierced by a mechanic and the desert sand began filling the engine.But the engine of BMP-3 worked for 10 hours full with sand and without any problems.

Both are not all that great. But the Bradley and its big problems were worked out long ago in its growing pains. It still has issues in some areas but is a solid vehicle. You have to remember the Bradley has been around since the 80s and if it was "that bad" it would of been replaced instead of upgraded. Its been used in countless engagements and has stood up fine. The Bradley serves what the american military needs better then the BMP-3.

Both are probably not even the best IFV. The BTR series might be better for the russians even. I know the BMP-3 still uses the carousel of death and if I was an infantryman I wouldnt want to be in one. I've read you cant dismount it very well in combat either which kind of defeats the purpose of an IFV. The Warrior and CV-90 are probably better then both for most of the worlds military. The Germans are working on a new one to which should be pretty decent i'd imagine. The big advantage of the BMP is the Russian lack of money and their willingness to sell it cheap and in large numbers.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 21:53
Originally posted by Gundamor

[QUOTE=Desimir] The big advantage of the BMP is the Russian lack of money and their willingness to sell it cheap and in large numbers.

And the price with relatively good perfmance may make the BMP the most effectiuve IFV relative to cost.    U.S. weapons are priced out of the market, even for relatively advanced nations like Chile etc.

I think the BMP 3 line can be expanded alot for African and Latin American markets.  Kits allow local users to switch configuations in a few days as needed.  The cash and orders will just flow in.  They should hire me. Tongue Some variants could be....

BMP 3- Standard configuaration

BMP 3 (LT)  Light tank - Mini Merkava concept, extra ammo instead of full infantry squad.  Room for two dismounts as observers.

BMP Long range LT-  No dismounts, extra kevlar lined self sealing fuel tank for long range patrols

BMP-3 ATGM-  Internal ATGM missile system, No 100mm cannon

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Sep-2006 at 21:54
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 16:31
Not sure about the BMP-3 but the earlier versions were notoriuous for beating their passengers senceless during cross-country travel. Not really a quality you want in an IFV.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 17:00
The BMP-3 uses a casette autoloader?
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 23:13
Originally posted by J.M.Finegold

The BMP-3 uses a casette autoloader?

The HE Frag rounds in the 100mm are 22 round carousel autoloader. When firing missiles its manual loading and the 30mm auto cannon is belt fed.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 10:43
To be honest, there's not much room in the turret to make it bustle loaded anyways.  Nevertheless, I think it's time for the Russians to learn about 'fireproof ammunition slots'. 
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 05:45
BMP 3 is what I vote for guys.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
 Post Reply Post Reply