Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geography of South Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geography of South Asia
    Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 05:40
Well i'm afraid this is where I disagree with you, mainly on how you define Indian.

Srivijaya is by all means Indianized, but in my eyes it was a Malay empire with hindu/bhuddist culture.

I consider India (in history) to be a geographical boundry rather than a cultural one. I refer to anything in the Indian Subcontinent as Indian in history. The current Republic of India is more or less an empire uniting the majority of the states in the Indian Subcontinent.

You talked about Bharat and Bharatvarsha in this thread or another one, but could you find me a piece of text pre-British that mentioned it?

My last point is if the United Kingdom changed to have Hindu and Bhuddist culture completly in your view would that make it Indian? In my view it would only make it hindu/bhuddist (or as I reffered to above "Indianized").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianized_kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Indianized_kingdoms

Edited by Anujkhamar - 30-Sep-2006 at 09:34
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 08:30
Originally posted by Anuj

I consider India (in history) to by a geographical boundry

I agree hundred percent, India is a geographical boundary.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 12:49

I agree with Anuj...

after the influence of Hindu and Buddhist.. a new empire came.. Malacca Sultanete..Acheh Sultanete and etc.. which were based on Islam influenced.. the arabs never claimed they had invaded Malaysia and Indonesia...Geek
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 02:43
There is a vital difference here, the modern concept of a geographical India is what you are pointing out & is wholly correct.  But India (forget the word India as it is ) was essentially a cultural identity, not a political one. Politically It could be equivalent to Europe without the infights & the differences.  
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 08:43
Originally posted by Vivek

The Srivijay empire itself was an Indian empire
tht's wht u hv said ealier

Originally posted by Anuj

Srivijaya is by all means Indianized, but in my eyes it was a Malay empire with hindu/bhuddist culture.

I am agree with Anuj interpretation.. it's better and comprehensive.. and direct to the point

Edited by cahaya - 05-Oct-2006 at 08:46
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:56
Hi,

please continue discussion about South-East Asia Geography in this topic.

Thanks,
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 05:23
Finally I can post them. Sorry it took me so long Rider, uni has been bogging me down.

Pages of interest:
Page 1:  http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1gh9.jpg
Page 2:  http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p2om1.jpg
Page 3:  http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p3zk4.jpg
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 15:54
Couldn't you try uploading in a little smaller scale?

Otherwise, great job.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 20:10
I did try this.
When I shrunk the images I lost too much detail and the text became unreadable. 
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 05:58
Jesuits and Protestant missionaries visiting SEA countries have drawn many maps according to their conception and perception.

However, after 18th-19th centuries, the maps produced give approximate details of the SEA countries.

During the Chola period, the Tamils must be knowing te geography of SEA, as otherwise Rajendra could not have conquered Nakkavaram, Ilamuridesam, Kadaram, Pappalam, Sri Vijayam etc.

However, the missionaries took away all the Indian maps and drawings, thus, now, it is alleged that there are no Indian maps. In fact, some allege that Indians "geographical knowledge" was very poor!

The Cholas not only established their hold on SEA, but also traded with middle-eastern countries competing with the Arabs abd Chinese.

Indians reached SEA even before the Cholas, through land by the north-eastern land route. That is why the SEA was already having Indian culture, tradition and heritage.

In fact, the Pallava inscriptions found in the SEA have been dated to the pre-Pallavan period of India (for more details see the posting "The Riddles of the Pallava Script" in the AE).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 00:38
Today I have read this thread and found that there have been some sort of misunderstanding about Indian history in general.

Many times, in history, if a person, place or thing becomes so popular, he he / it would be known by the 'popular" name, inspite of its / his actual name.

Thus, India as such was known to the ancient world, and dealt with them accordingly. The historical impact could be felt not only in material culture, tradition, heritage and such other factors, but also through material culture exhibited in philosophy, logic, and such other related factors.

Of course, naturalistic / evolutionary / divine origin theories and hypotheses are there in interpreting sociological, political, religious, economic and other processes in historical perspective.

India and Hindu could be one and the same, till the "secularism" concept has crept into the minds of Indians. Both pro and anti-Indian / Hindu groups / ideologists have contributed their mite in creating such confusion.

Based on the factors of culture, heritage, tradition and civilization, Hindu and Indian religion could be one and the same till the theological and of course anti-theologicals concepts come into exit and play. Yes, in India, both God-believing and non-believing groups lived together with amity and peace. Jainism and Buddhism have been interpreted anti-Vedic, anti-Hiondu and so on. In particular, they deny any "GOD" and in such aspect, they have been against all Godbelieving religion on the earth. However, in Indian context, all exhibit the same internal and external paraphrenalia, thus forming the Indian society and polity.

As for as Cholas are concerned, there have been many things, which have not been studied properly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12