Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geography of South Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geography of South Asia
    Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 13:50
Hi,

as the history of South Asia and South East Asia touches nearly all other civilizations that have existed, it is a pity that my 'Geography' series reach this place in such a time from it's beginning. But be not worried, for I have gained much information about some things that I would have questioned you mostly about and now will only touch in a few sentences and other things have been left more space.

So, if I am to start, I will start with the one and only question about Rome, that I can ask here, as others are answered in the Classical Mediterranean subforum, in topics by Ikki and me, please take a look:

Rome:

1) What were the settlements the Roman traders visited on their voyages to China?

and I can move on, to much more pleasant topics:

India:

1) What did the ancient Indian nations (do not start a war on ethnicity) think the world was like and did they adapt their invaders ideas or were the invaders to take up their looks of the world?

2) Did the people make any notable maps of the known world?

3) How regular was sailing?

4) Did the people ever go to Indonesia, Ceylon, or other, more southward (and westward) islands and even Africa?

5) How often did the Indians communicate with the people in Cameron or in Persia?

South East Asia:

1) What was their look on the world like? Similiar to Indians or what?

2) Any maps?

3) Were the people used to sailing around, did they ever go to China or India, Indonesia or other islands?

4) What were the relations to the Polynesians?

5) Were there any routes through the jungle? Did any people go discovering the jungle?

Thanks for anyone, and I will appreciate the contribution of each and every one of you. I hope the number of questions does not scare you.

Rider
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 02:10
Originally posted by rider

Hi,

Replies in Bold

as the history of South Asia and South East Asia touches nearly all other civilizations that have existed, it is a pity that my 'Geography' series reach this place in such a time from it's beginning. But be not worried, for I have gained much information about some things that I would have questioned you mostly about and now will only touch in a few sentences and other things have been left more space.

So, if I am to start, I will start with the one and only question about Rome, that I can ask here, as others are answered in the Classical Mediterranean subforum, in topics by Ikki and me, please take a look:

Rome:

1) What were the settlements the Roman traders visited on their voyages to China?

and I can move on, to much more pleasant topics:

India:

1) What did the ancient Indian nations (do not start a war on ethnicity) think the world was like and did they adapt their invaders ideas or were the invaders to take up their looks of the world?

The ancient Indians thought the world was round ! They did not adopt the invader's ideas mostly, rather the invaders adopted Indian ideas (Ex. - In india muslims also have castes, which goes against the very essence of Islam)

I have not looked for maps, but since the Indians had a fair idea of the whole world from West to east & South Asian islands & traded extensively with Rome, Greece, Egypt, Sumeria, Babylon, China, Korea,  Japan  & Colonized Indonesia , Malaysia & Combodia, guess they must have had maps.

I had read on some website that the adventurer who discovered the source of Nile had foun some ancient maps from Indian Puranas & decided to explore Africa based on that. To his suprise he found everythins as mentioned in the Purana map & discovering the source of nile travelled in it to Egypt & the mediterrenean. Dont know if it is true but the source was the biography or something of that adventurer.

Very regular for Indians. they travelled & traded all over the then known world & possibly unknown too (the scripts of easter island of Polynesia & the ancient indus valley civilization dated 1900-3000 B.C. are same. this discovery was made by western historians) implying that the ancient polynesians & Indian must have met & interacted considerably at some point of time which has been forgotten in antiquity. You can find both the scripts on the google.

The ancient Indian Ship Building industry was very progressive. the Portuguese in medivieal ages also built their ships in India.

The present day Catamaran is Indian, here were catamarans in Polynesia too, but they were far too primitive boats. indian catamarans were full ships capable of sailing without sight of land with huge loads.
Another interesting thing is that ancient india Mythology mentions the presence of a distinct group of people in the south who were different from the northerners, which continues to this day. the similarity of the catamarans, similarity of the Easter island's polynesian script to indus valley script & the folklores of Indians, Polynesians, melaynisian, etc.. & as well as other similarites all point to one common fact. Linkages between all of thses in some remote past which have been forgotten.

4) Did the people ever go to Indonesia, Ceylon, or other, more southward (and westward) islands and even Africa?

The Indians not only went to these place but colonized & ruled Indonesia, Malaysia, Combodia, Ceylon. These are not my claims but facts taught in the history books of these Islamic countries.

You will be surprised that the biggest & most magnificant Hindu temples are not in india but in Combodia & Malaysia. They still exist. In fact the Angkor Vat complex in Combodia is the biggest religious temple complex in the present world also.

5) How often did the Indians communicate with the people in Cameron or in Persia?
Cameron I have not researched, but ancient Iran & India was probably one culture or country. The medes are said to have been the founders of Iran. Medes is a western name. The eastern name of this community was Mad / Madr. The Indian epic battle Mahabharat said to have taken olace somewhere in 4500 B.C. or so mentions this Madr community as living west of Bactria (present day estern Iran). They are said to have fought in the war in the army of the kuru prince Duryodhana, who was defeated by the Pandavs who were basically fighting with armies of kings based in india proper. The kings to the north west  & west of India mostly fought on the side Duryodhan, due to the influence of his maternal Uncle Shakuni, who was the ruler of Gandhar (present day Kandhar in Afghanistan) & had a good relations with all the kings in that area.(Medes or Madr kingdom ws situated to the west of his)

South East Asia:

1) What was their look on the world like? Similiar to Indians or what?

Similiar, because they were all under Indian influence, not military but cultural due to Hinduism & Buddhism, two indian faiths being the dominant religions of the these lands.

2) Any maps?

Replied above in first point.

3) Were the people used to sailing around, did they ever go to China or India, Indonesia or other islands?

They did so Extensively, Answered above.

4) What were the relations to the Polynesians?

The present day Catamaran is Indian, there were catamarans in Polynesia too, but they were far too primitive boats. Indian catamarans were full ships capable of sailing without sight of land with huge loads. This was probably because the Indian catamarans being in the heart of a civilization continued to evolve, while the polynesian ones though having possibly similiar origins suffered from geographical being lonely, without close linkages to others. (It was possible to travel to these place , but neverthless not easy resulting in this isolation.)
Another interesting thing is that ancient india Mythology mentions the presence of a distinct group of people in the south who were different from the northerners, which continues to this day. the similarity of the catamarans, similarity of the Easter island's polynesian script to indus valley script & the folklores of Indians, Polynesians, melaynisian, etc.. & as well as other similarites all point to one common fact. Linkages between all of thses in some remote past which have been forgotten.

5) Were there any routes through the jungle? Did any people go discovering the jungle?

Yes there were, their were roads through the jungles. And the tribes ruling the jungles are described in ancient indian literature as distinct from others. But not much records of the jungle tribes in South asian islands exist for obvious reasons.

In fact the most famous & holy  Indian epic, Ramayan, is a story of a war faught between Ram, the prince of Ayodhya in north India (still existing, by the same name) & Ravan, the King of Sri lanka (Ceylon).

At that time Ceylon or Sri lanka was much  bigger than at present. The ice  melted after the last ice age around 13000 - 15000 B.C. flooding the ancient populated lands into the sea. Ram in this epic is said to have crossed the ocean between India & Sri lanka by a bridge throught the sea. NASA has discovered remnants of an undersea link between mainland india & Sri Lanka. This NASA data is commonly availaible on the net, with the picture.

Thanks for anyone, and I will appreciate the contribution of each and every one of you. I hope the number of questions does not scare you.

Rider
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 02:40
Another interesting thing is (now dont blame me saying I am trying to prove Indian superiority, which I am not, I am too intelligent to do that) that in ancient indian literature there are continuous mentions of ASURs. these ASURs (the demons) are people who dont follow the Indian religion, but don't worship the Indian gods (DEVs) (Anamoly, but this is the tradition). They are related to the mainstream people, but have their own notions of their superiority. (Its lika a racial divide, each claiming to be better & conquering & defeating the other alternatively.) These ASURs are finally said to be defeated &  driven away. (They anyway are always said to have lived on the borders of the land of Gods,(devs) ).

Now their are schools of thought that these ASURs are the same as ASSRYIANs. (Obvioulsy fitting together linguistic similarities of pronounciation & location like most of ancient history does)

The presence of the Mittani ( Subari / Hurric ) people in middle east & their empires existing alongside the HItties, the Egyptians,babylonains, mesopotramia etc.. is also a mystery. The Hitties were also Indo - European to say, but the Mittani people followed the hindu religion. The se mittani people ruled areas from West Iran to Turkey & ere constantly at war with the Egyptian, & the hitties. Eventually there empire became a vassel state of the hitties, who took advantage of thier internal clashes & defeated them. Their are ancient  documents to this effect. These Mittani people are said to have introduced the light horse spoke wheeled chariots to the middle east & existed as a chariot warrior aristocracy all through the middle east, even outside their empires. they are said to have continued as this landed, charioteer - archer - warrior  aristocracy  in the entire  middle east from iran to turkey, even after their empire was defeated by the hitties & they became a vassel stat of the hitties. Tutenkhamen, the popular Egyptial  pharoh, whose mumm is so popular had a mittani grand mother, when Akhenaten had married a Mittani princess after a treaty between the Mittanis & Egyptians.

The present day Kurds from Turkey & syria to Iran claim ancestry from these Mittani (Subari / Hurrian) people.

The mystery is where did these Hindu people come from if they were not a resurgent sect / branch of the Assryians ? The Indians have no other record of them now.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 02:46
Please dont treat this as an attempt to prove superiority or something. I am mature enough not to do that out of limits. This is just a play between various facts, mysteries, some deductible analogies, some unknown answers etc..., which happens to be one of the current views & a topic of intellectual discussion.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 03:35

I don't know that one, nor can I find it in any of the books I have.
Wait I just found it looking for maps for question 2:

According to Kulke & Rothermund (I can give you a proper reference if you want). We have several towns along both coasts but the majority seem to be around the tip of India, this is the same for the finds of coins. Bharaukaccha (Barygaza), Kalyana (Kalliana), (Byzantium), Cranganore (Muziris), Kumari (Comari), Uraiyur (Argaru), Kaveripatnam (Khaberis), Arikamedu (Poduka), Sopatma, Palura.

I'm not sure what the bracketted non-bracketed names mean, I assume Native and (Latin) names. I'll scan a map in and post here in a second.

Invaders became indianised much more than the opposite. Most of the major changes to Indian culture have occured through internal means and not through external. Even the muslim community today pretty much takes the place of (and it probably decendent from) the Buddhist community 1500 years ago.

I'm sure they did, but I can't find any. Historical maps of India I've found very difficult to get.

Very common I'm sure. Kulke & Rothermund state that the Indus Valley civilisation imported millet from places in Africa via Oman. In addition Wikipaedia has this article
The Indus civilisation's economy appears to have depended significantly on trade, which was facilitated by major advances in transport technology. These advances included bullock-driven carts that are identical to those seen throughout South Asia today, as well as boats. Most of these boats were probably small, flat-bottomed craft, perhaps driven by sail, similar to those one can see on the Indus River today; however, there is secondary evidence of sea-going craft. Archaeologists have discovered a massive, dredged canal and docking facility at the coastal city of Lothal.

Judging from the dispersal of Indus civilisation artifacts, the trade networks, economically, integrated a huge area, including portions of Afghanistan, the coastal regions of Persia, northern and central India, and Mesopotamia.

There was an extensive maritime trade network operating between the Harappan and Mesopotamian civilisations as early as the middle Harappan Phase, with much commerce being handled by "middlemen merchants from Dilmun" (modern Bahrain and Failaka located in the Persian Gulf). [8] Such long-distance sea-trade became feasible with the innovative development of plank-built watercraft, equipped with a single central mast supporting a sail of woven rushes or cloth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization#Trade_and_transportation

Yes. I just mentioned Africa, but sea trade with Indonesia and Sri Lanka is extremely common throughout most of Indian history. Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism all entered Indonesia from sea trade with India.

Persia all the time, they're right next door. Cameroon? I'm not sure if India has an embassie in Cameroon now. What motivates that question?

South East Asian history I'm nowhere near as good at. 1 & 2 I don't know, though since the religions of SE Asia have come from South Asia I assume this means that their world outlook was more similar.

Indonesia being a big part of SE asia, has a very big maritime tradition (naturally) and has had long contact with all their neighbours from China to India.

Thats all I've found at the moment, if I find more I'll add it, and I'll get the map of Roman contact.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 14-Sep-2006 at 03:53
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 12:43
Thanks to both of you, it seems I made a mistake with Cameron, wanting to mean Cambodia. Well, it seems I made a mistake.

So, can you tell us more about the people on Indonesia? When did they arrive and how often did they communicate with the mainland?

What about Australia? Did the Indians ever reach it?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 21:54
I haven't forgotten about you Rider, will give you more information as soon as I have time.

For your paitence: There are no records nor archaeological records that I am aware of that Indians reached Australia (unlike chinese, where coins have been found). I personally think it is likely, but arriving at outback western Australia or NT there wouldn't have been anything to interest them.

--Not in a governmental sense. I'm refering to traders, not government sponsered expeditions.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 20-Sep-2006 at 05:56
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 01:47
The Indian Kambuj comunity colonised Combodia. Combodia being the name given by the West, their native name is still kambuj. This is one of the ancient communities, which had participated in the Mahabharat war.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 09:44
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

The Indian Kambuj comunity colonised Combodia. Combodia being the name given by the West, their native name is still kambuj. This is one of the ancient communities, which had participated in the Mahabharat war.

It's misleading to call them 'Indians'. The Kamboj were just another group involved in the events of the purans, mahabharat etc.  The idea of Indianness hadn't been invented yet.
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 18:17
Originally posted by vivek sharma

The Indians not only went to these place but colonized & ruled Indonesia, Malaysia, Combodia, Ceylon. These are not my claims but facts taught in the history books of these Islamic countries.

You will be surprised that the biggest & most magnificant Hindu temples are not in india but in Combodia & Malaysia. They still exist. In fact the Angkor Vat complex in Combodia is the biggest religious temple complex in the present world also.

I am so interested when u said the Indian ruled and colonized those countries.. can u please show evidence on ur statement. coz i like to knw more on that...

Cambodia and Malaysia have the largest hindu temples in SE Asia countries... for Angkor Watt... well.. true.. Malaysia? where? I think u must be confused with Chandi Borobudur in Indonesia.... Meanwhile, the biggest chandi  in malaysia.. not so huge.. which is located in Tupah, Kedah where there was Old Kedah empire (not so big empire though).. it just 30min drive from my house ... Ermm
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 19:13
Well Cahaya there was the Chola's. Actually that was the only "Indian" empire in SE Asia.

The Chola dynasty began its expansion out of mainland India under the rule of Rajaraja Chola (i'll give you a second to laugh). Under his reign The Chola Empire conquered much of South India, went on to invade the Maldives and conqurered half of Sri Lanka.

After he died in 1014 CE (50 years before the Normans invaded the British Isles, interesting when you think of whats happening in the rest of the world) his son Rajendra Chola I took over and completed the invasion of Sri Lanka. It took little time for Rajendra to take the throne as he wa serving as co-reagent alongside his father. That was a custom in the dynasty that ensured there was no power struggle for the throne on the death of a king.

Apart from continuing his conquest of India Rajendra also began his conquest outside the sub-continent in 1025 CE. He invaded and defeated the mighty Kingdoms of Srivijaya (which was made up of Sumatra, the Malay peninsula and others). The reason for doing this is still unclear, as the Sailendra dynasty of Srivijaya had been in good terms with his father, Rajaraja.

On top of that Rajendra Chola conquered the Andaman and Nicobar islands and also extrated tribute from Thailand and Khmer.

Here is a map of his empire in 1030 CE:

edit: If you want more info check out it's wikipedia pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajaraja_Chola_I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajendra_Chola

Edited by Anujkhamar - 27-Sep-2006 at 19:21
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 05:30
Interesting.. thanks fr the info Anuj..

Originally posted by wikipedia

"In 1025, Rajendra Chola, the Chola king from Coromandel in South India, conquered Kedah from Srivijaya and occupied it for some time. The Cholas continued a series of raids and conquests throughout what is now Indonesia and Malaysia for the next 20 years. Although the Chola invasion was ultimately unsuccessful, it gravely weakened the Srivijayan hegemony and enabled the formation of regional kingdoms based, like Kediri, on intensive agriculture rather than coastal and long distance trade."

As wht Anuj mentioned.. the purpose of the attack never been disclosed.. but why this statement said the invasion is unsuccessful when the motive of invasion is not clear.. and it's said.. Srivijaya had been weakened from Chola's attack but not destroyed from it.

who want to see the chandi near to my hometown.. look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujang_Valley

Learn more about Malaysia's History :-

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 05:39

Originally posted by Anuj

The Chola dynasty began its expansion out of mainland India under the rule of Rajaraja Chola (i'll give you a second to laugh).

Raja raja.. why must make it redundant.. like Kingking...
Anyway in Malaysia.. there's so many Indian's name which make me wonder.. from where thay can come out these names, e.g.:

SuperMoney - maybe come up from subramaniam
Prosperrus - I dont knw whether this guy is Hindu or Christian.. maybe he took it frm "prosperity"..

I came accross these names from my clients... Do these names exist in India?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 06:30
Originally posted by cahaya

Originally posted by Anuj

The Chola dynasty began its expansion out of mainland India under the rule of Rajaraja Chola (i'll give you a second to laugh).

Raja raja.. why must make it redundant.. like Kingking...
Anyway in Malaysia.. there's so many Indian's name which make me wonder.. from where thay can come out these names, e.g.:

SuperMoney - maybe come up from subramaniam
Prosperrus - I dont knw whether this guy is Hindu or Christian.. maybe he took it frm "prosperity"..

I came accross these names from my clients... Do these names exist in India?

Rajaraja means the king of kings.
The Srivijay empire itself was an Indian empire.

Anyway we don't take any pride in ruling anybody else, so I would like to downplay that part & focus more on the cultural aspects. Robbing somebody's freedom is not good for anybody. And the Indian invasions were more of cultural & religious influences followed by just a couple of military expeditions. But even so they were never accompanied by the tremandous cruelty which is normally seen in the expeditions of most conquerers.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 06:45
Originally posted by jayeshks

It's misleading to call them 'Indians'. The Kamboj were just another group involved in the events of the purans, mahabharat etc.  The idea of Indianness hadn't been invented yet.

Then when was it invented ? I am not talking about the word India for we still don't like this word India but are forced to use it somehow, when we are speaking in English. I am talking about the Indians & the Indian civilisation & culture.

For your information the Ruling family in Mahabharat was from the family of King Bharat, (after whom one of the names for the country Bharat Varsha was given ) which was from the same Ikshwaku dynasty of Ram, who is the one of theearliest Indian historical war heros.

And the Indian name for India even at present is Bharat Varsha.

Waiting for your reply.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 13:24
Originally posted by vivek

Rajaraja means the king of kings.
Indian? "Srivijaya" It started in Sumatra and how u can say it's indian empire? It basicaly had the influnce of Hindu.. of course.. but not Indian.. I guess Indian and Hindu are different things.. right?

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 15:37
Originally posted by vivek

Could you explain why you believe this?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 15:17
yeah.. explain please... Ermm
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 17:57

Then when was it invented ? I am not talking about the word India for we still don't like this word India but are forced to use it somehow, when we are speaking in English. I am talking about the Indians & the Indian civilisation & culture.

For your information the Ruling family in Mahabharat was from the family of King Bharat, (after whom one of the names for the country Bharat Varsha was given ) which was from the same Ikshwaku dynasty of Ram, who is the one of theearliest Indian historical war heros.

And the Indian name for India even at present is Bharat Varsha.

Waiting for your reply.

As you already know 'Bharatvarsha' stood for the entire 'vishwa' or known world.  Finding the conquests of King Bharat or an actual King Bharat himself in the archaelogical record is difficult.  To twist that to represent modern day India is perverse.  The word just doesn't have the same meaning today.  'India' like 'Greece' or 'Italy' was a notion created relatively recently by a nationalist movement which found itself being defined from the outside.

As for the Kamboj, where they come from or went to is unsolved thus far as well.  Ashokan inscriptions indicate them to occupy the north-west of the subcontinent in perhaps Gandhara.  Purans mention the kingdom existing in modern day Gujarat.  Their connections to modern day Kampuchea/Campodia aren't clear if there are even any.  
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 01:57
Let me combine replies to Anuj, Cahaya & Jayeshks.

Cahaya

Indian? "Srivijaya" It started in Sumatra and how u can say it's indian empire? It basicaly had the influnce of Hindu.. of course.. but not Indian.. I guess Indian and Hindu are different things.. right?
As I had said earlier

"Anyway we don't take any pride in ruling anybody else, so I would like to downplay that part & focus more on the cultural aspects. Robbing somebody's freedom is not good for anybody. And the Indian invasions were more of cultural & religious influences followed by just a couple of military expeditions. But even so they were never accompanied by the tremandous cruelty which is normally seen in the expeditions of most conquerers."

To start with Indianism & Hindu are not separate, they are the same. The term India is itself a misnomer, because it is a name goven by a civilisation whcih had different notions of statehood. In India nation hood is not defined by political power ruling the land. It is defined by culturl similarity which in India is surprisingly also the same a belief / faith or religion whatever we might like to call it.

Different powers might rule different parts of the land, different people might be worshipping different Gods in still different ways,  but nobody will call themselves a separate nation.

This extreme of pluralism would be very confusing & difficult to understand for persons not brought up in this culture.

Coming back to the Srivijay thing, Srivijay empire was inspired by the indian culture, hence it was Indian. We don't have this concept of military expansionsim in India. the only conflicts that we have in our culture are Good Vs Evil. And it is is a culture where the victor after achieving victory requests the defeated to teach him. the invasion by the cholas was more of an attack by one Indian kingdom on another one. Not a war between two nations in the Indian sense. Indians would not alike to & have not attacked nations because their is a concept of VASUDHAIVA KAUTUMBAKAM  in india , which means the whole world is one family, irrespective of what religion or faith you follow. So when I say an Indian empire, the reference would be to a cultural empire, which in today,s world is an almost extinct concept.

Jayeshk you are slightly off the mark when you say Bharat Varsha was the entire known world. It meant the knigdom ruled by Bharat. the known world was much bigger, their being the Nagas (Chinese / Mongoloid people), Asurs (Assryians), and numerous other communities.

the kambuj was a big kingdom stretching from the northwest to the west of India including some central portions & it was as big as the kingdom of kurus, as it was their successor later.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>