Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Turkmen vs. Turkish and Azeri.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Turkmen vs. Turkish and Azeri.
    Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 05:02

To clarify that there's not that much similarity Turkish people think their language has got with Turkmen, I've started this topic to explain the different cases these languages differ.

To add some explanation, the Turkic language's core is almost stable. Use of 'qay/key', 'qan'/ken', 'ch','cha/'che'', 'ta/te' and a lot more are obvious in all Turkic language. But different groups have got their own special strcuture which make them distinct from each other. That's why we've got different Turkic languages like Oghuz, Kiptchak, etc.

For the time being, I've got to list these differences. Will be back in 6 hours I suppose.
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 11:46

I'm all talking about the northen tribes whose language is the most correct form:

Turkmen have got irregular verbs (like 'took' as past tense of 'take'). The most famous one is for the verb 'oturqy' (to sit): 'otir' means 'sit' (past participle).

Turkmen has got an especial extra vowel which is somehow like ''. It's pronounced 'i'.

Turkmen have got palatalized 's' and 'z' while Turkish doesn't have.

Turkmens' sound system is quite flatter than Turkish and Azeri. While they switch a lot among vowels, 'a's and 'e's, Turkmen is more stable and relies mostly on 'o'. Also Turkmen perfers 'a' (as in 'water') more than 'e':

Turkish 'yep yeni' (very new) =  Turkmen 'yap yangy'

Turkmen's got PREFIXES. It's not like Turkish word 'vaz gechmek' in which 'vaz' is of Iranian origin and is a word itself. The most famous Turkmen prefix is 'a' in the beginning of the word:

a+kyeky = akytky (to hold something when you go). Even the way verb means, is very radical, compared to Turkish.

Verbs show their (time) processes and period:

Baryanchang = until you reach (it would become x, or y; for instance)
Baryangqam = while I was reaching (I saw x, or y'; for instance)

Turkmens use 'qan' / ken' to point to a subject (which has done the verb):
berken = the one who has given (it's finished) --- Turkish equivalent is 'beren'

Turkmen use almost always the subject form:

Pozyan = (I'm) the one who erases (note no 'I' is used') = I erase
Alma(qa)r = (I'm) the won't taker = I won't take

Note this is also unique to Turkmen. We and Turkish people share, also the common Turkic form 'almaz' (he or she won't take). But 'alma(qa)r' is 'won't taker'.

In Turkmen, the correct form to make the future tense is:

verb + 'qar/ker' = the future tense ---- kyt + ker = kytker (will go)

But in Turkish, it's 'verb+er/ar'.

And mostly, the Turkmen's future form is equivalent to Turkish present tense:

Turkish 'onlar derler' (they say) means 'they WILL say' in Turkmen.

Turkmen use 'qu' to show desire while Turkish people use 'si':

Turkmen 'kegen kِrgm bar' (I love to visit it) = Turkish 'chok gِresim geliyor'

Also Turkish is very slighter than Turkmen. Most of Turkmen 't' s become 'd'. 'Q' is converted to 'k' and 'gh' is to 'g'. 'S' has become 'z' and 'ch' has become 'j'.

Turkish sound system is usually open, ending in a vowel, while Turkmen's ends ina consonant:

Turkmen 'Taymas AtlyQ Turkmen' (the Turkmen whose name is Taymas)
Turkish 'Tamas AtlY Turkmen'

Object's made in different ways in Turkmen:

Arazny kِrtym (I saw Araz) - Arazyq Ur (hit Araz)

Turkish, contrary to this, uses the following structure:
Arazy gِrdm' (I saw Araz) - Arazy Vur (hit Araz)

Turkmen uses 'verb+(aq)ay' to make a present tense (aside from 'verb+yan'):

bol+aqay = bolaqay ----- which is equivalent to Turkish 'olur' (the verb 'ol' +ur')

Turkmen uses lots of words to describe moods, like 'qay'. Turkish doesn't have this part. Note, Turkic langauge have got the verbs 'qyzmaq' (to get angryu), 'qynqanmaq' (to get sad). But aside from these, 'qay', 'poy' is WORDS which only describe the mood.

Salyr also use 't' to make plural:

tamqa + t = tamqat

Turkmens has got a large number o old Altaic words which are in common with their old ancestors, Tungusic and siberian tribes:

ynyk (younger brother), 'murt' (something especific to a man; a mustache), chyma (skirt), choghry (coat), chyn (fact), uike (horn). All these words, except for 'uike' which only Tunguses an Manchus (iige) use, are present in siberian tribes.

In Turkmen question sentences, a 'qa' is used as the question symbol. But, Turkish only uses the question words:

'Erjan kym qa?' (who's Erjan) vs. Turkish 'Erjan kim?'

This 'qa' is also the same as siberian dialects (not Turkic)

Edited by gok_toruk - 12-Sep-2006 at 11:24
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 11:53
That's about it for the time being. I need more time to compare them.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 04:41

Well, Afrunda; Siberian tribes and Asian Eskimos, as well as American Indians and people like Aleut and Inuit are linguistically connected to Altaic family. All these people have got the word 'anaq' and its derivations like 'ananaq', 'enah', 'ene', etc, to mean 'mother'. 

You might be right. But if so, American Indians (who left Asia long time before Soghdians lived in Central Asia) and Eskmios who have got nothing to do with Soghdians, are somehow related; at least linguistically.

Edited by gok_toruk - 12-Sep-2006 at 04:47
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 04:47
Thanks also to let me know about Turkish and Ottoman languages difference.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 05:34

Bulldog, do you find any similarity in these languages that could place them in a language family?

9 Oghuzes language was different than Sihun Oghuzes'.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 06:27
The word turk is one of the most used & used misused words. Everybody who want to win claims to be a turk & turks claim everybody who won sometime against somebody to be turk.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Verbs show their (time) processes and period:

Baryanchang = until you reach (it would become x, or y; for instance)
Baryangqam = while I was reaching (I saw x, or y'; for instance)

Buddy, that is something seen in Anatolian dialects too. It is something dialectal.
Standard Turkish: Sen Varana kadar: Until you arrive
Some dialects: Varanaca(-n), Varınca(-n), Varanacha(-n): Until you arrive, until you reach
(-n) is a suffix for you.
Standard Turkish: Ben Varıyorken
Some dialects: Varirkene(-m), Varırkine(-m): Wile I was arriving, while I was reaching.
(-m) is a suffix for I
But in standard Anatolian Turkish(Istanbulite Turkish which is officially recognized writing language) ) these grammatical structures in the dialects  do not exist.
And due to educational system and mass media, dialects are dying swiftly.

If I find time, I will explain other examples of you. Almost all of them have equivalents in Anatolian dialects.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 03:58

'Kadar' is of Arabic origin.

'Variyorken' is originally 'variyor erken' or 'variyor eken'. It's, in fact, 'I, as a goer'. It's a later combination, contrary to Turkmen which uses PREPOSITION.

Sorry, these aren't the same in two langauges. Yes, Kiptchak have got these EQUIVALENTs too, but Turkmen and Kiptchak are not the same. You're talking about EQUIVALENT, but not the same pattern.
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 15:26

'Kadar' is of Arabic origin.

'Variyorken' is originally 'variyor erken' or 'variyor eken'. It's, in fact, 'I, as a goer'. It's a later combination, contrary to Turkmen which uses PREPOSITION.

Sorry, these aren't the same in two langauges. Yes, Kiptchak have got these EQUIVALENTs too, but Turkmen and Kiptchak are not the same. You're talking about EQUIVALENT, but not the same pattern.
I do not speak of standard language. Check the dialectal uses.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 03:24
I know what you mean. But it's obvious the grammatical structure in two languages are not the same.

'varinca' and structures like this, such as 'varirken' don't exist in Turkmen. 'Varancha' in southern Turkmen (pronounced 'barancha') means 'the place you've reached' (northern Turkmen: barqancha).

(If I'm not wrong) 'varirkenem' is used mostly among Eastern Anatolians who are somehow closer to Azeris. 'Em' in 'varirkenem' is barrowed from Persian (Indo-European 'am'). 'Varirken' itself sounds, anyhow, unusual to a Turkmen.

Edited by gok_toruk - 14-Sep-2006 at 03:33
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 15:24

I know what you mean. But it's obvious the grammatical structure in two languages are not the same.

'varinca' and structures like this, such as 'varirken' don't exist in Turkmen. 'Varancha' in southern Turkmen (pronounced 'barancha') means 'the place you've reached' (northern Turkmen: barqancha).

(If I'm not wrong) 'varirkenem' is used mostly among Eastern Anatolians who are somehow closer to Azeris. 'Em' in 'varirkenem' is barrowed from Persian (Indo-European 'am'). 'Varirken' itself sounds, anyhow, unusual to a Turkmen.
The earliest attested form of varınca in Anatolian Turkish is varanacha , deriving assumingly fromOLd Turkic  bargangacha, until(he/she arrived/ reached.
Don't let corruption in Anatolian Turkish lead you into error or mislead you.
-em is not borrowed from Persian it comes directly from 1st singular suffix -men: -men>-ven>-in>m>em. All these forms are recorded in Anatolian Turkish. You have limited knowledge about the history of Anatolian Turkmen Language.

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 04:37

I might have got limited knowledge about the history of Anatolian Turkish (not Turkmen) lanaguage; but 'em', for sure is of Iranian origin. In fact, in Turkic, suffixes were not used to point to the subject (like the one you mentioned in Anatolian Turkish). The equivalent in Turkic lanaguges is 'im' which is barrowed from Iranian. In old Alatic, 'in' was used. So, your 'in' is Altaic; but not 'em'. No such a word 'variyorkenEM' has been recorded in old Turkic documents.

By the way, 'qa' and 'cha' were not used, in old Turkic, at the same time. It's not used in Central Asia, today either.

Edited by gok_toruk - 18-Sep-2006 at 12:30
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 08:07
Gok Toruk, you seem to be on some kind of mission to seperate the Turks of Turkey from the Turks of Turkmenistan, why?

The many posts in this topic may seem like evidence to non-turkish speaking people such as our fellow member vivek, however to Turkish speaking peoples all you have shown is that the Turks of Turkmensitan speak a diffrent DIALECT to that of the Turks of Turkey. This is already a known fact. Showing words that the Turkey Turks borrowed again is nothing new, just as the Turkmen dialect has many borrowed words.

I could post a similar topic on how Turkish Cypriot dialect is a diffrent language. And ofcourse the only people that would be fooled is the non-Turkish speakers.

Turks from Turkey, TRNC, Azerbaijan, Iraqi Turkmen etc all orginated from todays state of Turkmenistan. Over the years there have been diffrences. Nothing major to say that we are diffrent.

I have spoken with Turks of Azeri, Tatar (from Turkmenistan) and Uygurs. They all speak languages which are clearly Turkish.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 11:32
Well, you're free to conclude the way you like. I've listed SOME of the difference. What you're talking about is regional difference. Please invest more time on these posts (of mine) and you'll see these are distinctions in STRUCTURE.

Tangriberdi was talking about 'kadar' and similar words and I said they are barrowings. I didn't focus on barrowings. The examples I told you all about, are not because of regional differences as you might think. For sure, the structures are not the same.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 12:52
How did you conclude that i did not invest time in your posts, is it simply due to the fact that i do not agree with your points?

Yes i did notice that that you mentioned that the structure of the Turkmen dialect has diffrences with that of Turkey. This point does in no way contradict what i was saying about how this only makes it enough to make it a diffrent dialect of the Turkish language.

You have yet to answer my question, "Please invest more time on these posts (of mine)" so that we may all find out why you want to create this imaginary diffrence between the same language.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 05:55

It's not unusual to see a Turk disagreeing on this topic.

What do you mean 'Turkish'? 'Turkish' is just a member of Turkic family; just like the way 'Turkmen' is. We all speak Turkic, but not the same dialects. You can't say two language are the same, while their structures are not the same. I'd suggest, first reading '9 Oghuz vs Sihun Oghuz'. These were two different geographical groups.

You're all saying 'no, it's not like that'. If you disagree, try to answer against those facts, rather than sitting back, getting angry (as most people do) and stayig off topic.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 07:37
Turkic is a term which the Russians used to seperate the Turkish race from the Turks from the Republic of Turkey. Thus when i say Turkish language then i guess you can go figure that i mean the language of the Turkish race, or Turkic if you prefer that term.

"You're all saying 'no, it's not like that'. If you disagree, try to answer against those facts, rather than sitting back, getting angry (as most people do) and stayig off topic."

How are my comments off topic?

Second, you yourself have just admited my point that it the Turks speak the same language but only have diffrent dialects. "We all speak Turkic, but not the same dialects" now if you agree that we have the same language then i agree with you, but then it is you who is either contradicting yourself or have changed your opinion but are to shy to admit to being wrong. If you may refer to you first post; "started this topic to explain the different cases these languages differ."

How about you try to read "Sons of the Conquerors, The rise of the Turkic world" by Hugh Pope. In this book Hugh Pope (an English man) lives in Istranbul and has learnt the dialect of the Turkish of Turkey, yet in his book one sees that he has travelled most of the Turkish states and can communicate with the Turkish natives, inc. Turkmen.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 11:05
Gok-tork have been claming that he is asking questions and no one answered them. As it seems his questions are very confusing. I'd like to put it this way, rather than quoting his posts.

He said there were two different Oghuz tribes. Indeed. But remember Arab and Persian travellers used to misterm ancient Uyghurs as Toqquz Oghuz. As Uyghurs were composed of nine inner tribes themselves.

Among numorous Tura tribes, there were nine Tura tribes (Oghuz being one of them), they were also called as outer nine Uyghur tribes. As Chinese used to call jiuxing Tiele directly as Jiuxing Huihu.

Seyhun Oghuzs were the earlier migrants to become the main part of western Kok-turk. While the migration of the outer nine Uyghur tribes was much later(9th-10th century)

I think Gok-toruk wants to diffrenciate the later oghuzes (Part of Uyghur confederacy) from the earlier Oghuzes. The point is whatever the differences they had during the course of time, they both were Oghuz. Currently their languages are classified as Oghuz branch.

Salur is one of the Seyhun Oghuz tribes. History recorded their migration to the east from the Hazar region to come to the present day Turkmanstan region.

Gok-toruk is also neglecting the apparent cultural differences that nomadic and settled people can have, even if they are the exactly the same stock.

BTW, Mehmut Qeshqeri mentioned only 22 oghuz tribes. He didn't say Toxsi or Yaghma was the most correct form of Turkic languages, rather he said "Haqaniye Turk Tili" was the most correct form.

In the end, I suggest Gok-toruk to list of the tribal names of these Turkic people with the time period. As the names of the tribes changes through the history, and also they tend to sub-branch.

Edited by barbar - 20-Sep-2006 at 11:20
Either make a history or become a history.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 11:16

'Turkic' is more popular anyhow. It's like calling all Turkic speaking people, 'Turk'. We know they were different tribes, but called in the honor of the core family as 'Turk'.

The distinctions in structure's quite obvious; you try to relate them to regional difference.

Yeah, Yakuts also speak Turkic; but do you really understand it totally? Iranians are Indo-Europeans, but are they alike?

That's what I said when saying 'off topic'. You'll definately get the total meaning when you hear any Turkic language. But this does not mean your languages (or should I say) dialects are the same. Now, don't get it wrong (dialect). It's not regional difference. The difference Uighur language has got with Anatolian Turkish is not because of regional difference. It's because of the different geographical groups people came from. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>