Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

British Empire & Natives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
missguided View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote missguided Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British Empire & Natives
    Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:58
Question re: British colonialization and Lend-Lease...  I have a set of figurines that shows an explorer with pith helmet on, sitting in "pot of boiling" water surrounded by cute caricatures of brown natives.  On the pot it says "lend-lease".  It appears to be political satire or protest, but the figurines are cutesy.  I am no history whiz and I cannot find out what this is referring to.  Probably the early 1900's..?  Don't know if its S. Africa, or Fiji or?  Any insight on this would be appreciated....    

Edited by missguided - 10-Sep-2006 at 17:59
bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 03:42
I think the symbolism means that the lend lease act is the death of colonialism.  The lend lease act was signed into law by president Roosevelt (the second one) prior to US entry into WWII.  It allowed the US to sell military equiptment to the allied powers (at that point the UK and USSR) in the expectation that they would be paid back later.  WWII ended the British Empire, and did so in no small part because they were so deeply in debt. 

Perhaps that is the meaning, I'm going out on a limb here though, I really don't know. 
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 04:42
It shows the brits in India (the land of the brown people). hte brits came as traders, would take land on lease to set up offices, factories, set up a very competent army disguised to protect the office. Divide the natives on some issue or the other, start taking sides with their modern army with different sides at different times depending on which side would be willing to give more land on lease to them, get more & more land, increase the army & continue palying the game till they became the rulers of the country.

PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
 Post Reply Post Reply