Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Technology

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MontanaGuy86 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MontanaGuy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Technology
    Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 13:47
Can anyone brainstorm examples in history where mankind has actually lost technology, or even degressed?
I was put into question but could not recall specific points in history where technology was lost.
Tempering Gold? Is that possible?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 13:57
I don't know about gold, but concrete was a common material in Roman times, It was almost 2,000 years before it was rediscovered.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MontanaGuy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 14:05
Thats a great example of many Im sure. Technology lost and rediscovered years later. Is it possible that certain technology has yet to be rediscovered? I refuse to beleive that modern man has peaked its evolution being mentally superior to our predecessors.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 20:20
I agree with you. There is absolutely no reason to believe that man of antiquity was any less intelligent then we are today. And the level technology is not necessarily a good means to quantify this. But, I am certain that there are a slew of cool tools and processes that have been lost to the ages along with the multitudes of cultures and languages.
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 20:35
I think the period post mid 7th century until at earliest the early 9th saw a period of technological regression for parts of western Europe, cut off from supplies of paper to fuel literacy, ravaged by invading hordes and wracked by political fragmentation and de-urbanisation. Artisan and construction skills had to be rediscovered later as people simply scrambled to stay alive and have enough to eat.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 20:46
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I think the period post mid 7th century until at earliest the early 9th saw a period of technological regression for parts of western Europe, cut off from supplies of paper to fuel literacy, ravaged by invading hordes and wracked by political fragmentation and de-urbanisation. Artisan and construction skills had to be rediscovered later as people simply scrambled to stay alive and have enough to eat.

The sudden climatic change around that time, dropping the global temp. 5 degrees didn't help much either.

On the subject prior- The Antikythera Mechanism shows the level of technology 3,000 years ago, not only in the mechanism itself but the purpose it was created for, astronomical calculations.

Edited by red clay - 03-Sep-2006 at 20:46
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 21:31
I am sure technological regression or at least arrestment at some level has occurred many times throughout history due to traumatic experiences.

How about our lack of understanding about how the many megalithic structures were erected? This definitely could be considered a lost technology...

Edited by Goban - 03-Sep-2006 at 21:39
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 21:50
There are many, many examples of technology lost. For a start, much, if not most of Greco-Roman know-how got lost in the Latin West and had to be later relearnt through Greek and Arabic copies.

A couple of examples: The loss of knowledge of how to build a south pointing chariot, a well known mechanical cart during Tang, was deplored at Song times.

A Ming emperor ordered excavations to be made to unearth old Han crossbows in order to study their release mechanism.

The Roman crossbow (manuballista) disappeared at the end of antiquity, only to reappear in a crude form in the 9th-10th century.

The Archimedean screw is said to invented at least four times through the ages, and each time the inventor thought he had devised something new - as late as the 19th century...!

The knowledge of the Romans to build with concrete, even underwater, was lost and only rediscovered a thousand years later.

Romans are said to have already built coaches with belt suspensions (there is a replica in the Cologne museum), but only in the 15th century they reappeared. In between were 1000 years bumpy horse cart...

The Roman limes in Germany, a part of which features a completely straight line of circa 60 km  was later believed by the locals to be constructed by the devil himself, because they could not fathom how it was constructed.

America was discovered twice.

etc., etc., etc.

Edited by Gun Powder Ma - 03-Sep-2006 at 21:53
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 21:55
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

America was discovered twice.

Thrice maybe...Big smile

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MontanaGuy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 01:53
Thanks, if only i knew those at the time of question. I brought up the mysterious construction of the pyramids. I was told that we can recreate them with modern technology so thats not an example of technology degressing. It was only hours earlier before that talk, that I was told that the human mind has only recently stopped evolving due to modern medicine keeping the sickly alive. Hence making us superior to the man of antiquity.
 I only hope that modern people do not deem history outdated thinking only the future matters fueled by a technologically arrogant point of view. As a history student in the public schools, I often wondered why this crap is important, and never did get an answer from the teachers to satisfy my education. 
I beleive that a repeat of 20th century dictatorship is entirely possible if not inevitable in this so called free world.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 17:54
Well the pyramids are a great example. We may be able to reconstruct the pyramid itself, but we cannot reconstruct the technology they used in antiquity (which is most important). Smile

Also, evolution never ends, even when influenced by human technology. 

We are in no way superior to the man of antiquity (modern humans that is). In fact, I would venture to say that because of their harsher way of life, the opposite would be truer. It is healthy for us humans to stress ourselves physically and mentally, exercising, etc...
These stresses are all but gone with our modern technology. Now we artificially recreate these stresses in a gym or by going jogging...

And when we look at the achievements of these ancestors of ours, there is no reason to believe that they are any less intelligent then we are today. Wink

Edit: A good example is in an anthropology class I had, the Profesor and I made some stone tools... Well, I was trying to make them... It takes a lot of practice and learned technique.Big smile

Edited by Goban - 04-Sep-2006 at 18:03
Ey_Iran View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ey_Iran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 22:45
Well the old Egyptians had electriccity and cole energy. they even inventedthe light ball.
http://www.ancientx.com/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=72&

Heres an old mesopotamia battery
http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_11.htm

There is a lot burned down in Iran, in Alexandria, forgotten in India Egypt...
=)
IrishNation1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote IrishNation1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 15:04
Hmm. Well i am unsure if this will Count but Classical Architecture and the like. That was Lost during the Dark ages. Many Bulidings were Constructed obviously but none as wondefull as some of the things buitl b the Romans or Greeks. It was to Rediscovered in the Later Middle ages. But as i said i am not sure if this will count as it is not really Technollogy
Early this morning I signed my death warrant.
Michael Collins, to friend John O'Kane after signing Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921
NightHawk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote NightHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 17:09
Back in the early 1800s, I think it was Italy who had actually had a working "fax machine" for its military. But when she was invaded by Napoleon, he cut the lines and and after the war, it was soon forgotten.
Remember The Alamo
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 00:16

Well its not really a lost technology as such, but the ancient greeks knew about steam power, the Arabs actually built a machine (to pour water) thiugh it was impractical.

And lets look at military shall we examples are rife of things disappearing for hundreds of years only to reappear when a new situation requires them. Hand granades came back after 250 years in WWI, body armour in the 1990's for the first time since the Napoleonic Wars.

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 00:38
Their is an ancient iron pillar in Indian capital Delhi, which was a part of a temple. It was built some 2300 years ago. Its a huge monolithic pillar around 300 ft. tall & stands open in the sun & weather. But it has not rusted in all these thousands of years.

The value of Pi constant was known to ancient indians.

Pythagoras theoram was known to Indians much before pythagoras came.

Indians & Egyptians knew the distance between the earth, sun & moon thousands of years ago.

Medical surgery was performed in India & china thousands of years back. Even plastic surgery was done.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 05:42
Indians also built air craft carriers and cloned people.
And they all went for space exploration and returned with sample of rocks from, the planets of the system Alpha Centuri. And also tooks wives from there, which helps to explain Vivek.

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 06:03
Yes. They also invited aliens from space to impregnate the people living around the Western side of the British defined Indo Pak border with non Indian spermatozoa, which explains the genetic difference theory of your friend Telde.

Moderators, I am extremely sorry for using such words at this forum but posts like above leave you with little options. But I have still tried to use a scientific terminology to avoid sounding bad. But neverthless a rose is a rose, by whatever name you call it, so The mistake has been made definitely.

Sparten I will suggest you at least do a simple google before making ambitious posts.

PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
 Post Reply Post Reply