Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The weakness of ancient Indian literature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The weakness of ancient Indian literature
    Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 09:58
One thing that strikes me is that ancient Indian literature is considerably less extensive than their contemporary Greek or Chinese counterparts. Many events of Indian have survived, so it seems, exclusively in foreign records. I have just surfed a bit on Indian history at Wikipedia and the majority of sources on a multitude of aspects about India are actually drawn from the observations of foreigners! Pataliputra, the capital, is descibed by the Greek Megasthenes, ambassador of Seleucos, and much later by the Chinese buddhist monk Faxian. The treaty between Chandragupta and Seleucos is recorded by the Greco-Roman Appian and Strabo. Descriptions of Chandragupta's personality are offered by Justin and Plutarch. The only indigenous sources I stumbled over was Chandragupta's adviser, Chanakya.

As far as I can see, this relative meagerness of ancient Indian literature has been a major feature throughout most of Indian history.  I know that India has a very old oral tradition, but where are the written sources, the extant works of the historians, philosophers, mathematicians and statesmen? India was not only late at reestablishing literacy after the demise of the Indus culture (850 BC, 750 BC, 500 BC?), the extant works of later periods up the early modern time are less and more patchy than elsewhere.

So chess was invented in India, but we just do not know for sure, because nobody wrote about it. Were catapults used in ancient India? We have relatively detailed technical Greek and Chinese treatises, let alone their frequent mentioning  by war historians, but for India we only have vague  references. What do we have on the early history of Hindu numerals? Only the invention of the zero seems to be well recorded.

Our knowledge of Indian political history is even more unsatisfying. It seems that with every demise of a grand Indian dynasty also the writing on history is cancelled. Indian history has more blank spaces than any other of the classical cultures. We know less about Indian achievements in culture, politics and economy than we know from about anybody else. Babylonians and Assyrians had huge libraries (real libraries, not simply archives) of clay tablets, today to be found in Berlin and London. The Greeks discovered historiography for themselves sooner than everybody else (5th century BC), they had huge libraries in Alexandria and Pergamon, and the Romans stepped in their footsteps. The Arabs and the Latin West copied later their works in scriptories as good as they could. We profit from that today. The Chinese invented paper as a writing material early on (100 AD), and despite their archaic mode of writing were obsessive recorders of whatever caught their eye.

Indian historical tradition is, though, comparatively weak. The oldest copy of Caesar's Gallic War is from 1000 AD, the oldest  parts of the Bible from  the second century AD, and the oldest still surviving fragments of Greek philosophical treatise were uncovered in 4th century BC grave in the dry sands of Egypt. What how old is the oldest still extant Indian book? 

Now, I would like to know the reasons. Possible explanations may be:

- The output of Indian written sources was smaller than elsewhere. Therefore, the total amount of extant works is also smaller

- Indian History was, for a reason to be explored, particulary malevolent to written sources. Much, too much, had been destroyed by the volatile and violent history of the subcontinent

- Indian texts, and this may be the most important reasons, were written on particularly perishable material. I once read that palm leaves were the preferred Indian writing material for most of its history, and that there are today no older copies of Indian works earlier than from 1750. Palm leaves are of course, being organic material, very perishable, especially unprepared, although I am no expert at that.

- A lot of ancient sources are there, still alive and waiting very much for translation. Many texts are then simply not translated into European languages, therefore nobody knows of them in the West and what I described above does not reflect the true status of extant works of ancient Indian literature.

So, what is your opinion. Why has been Indian literary tradition so weak?

Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 05:03
So you think the Indian Literary tradition is weak?
Let me explain to you about the Vedas which are an Oral tradition but in ways more accurate than a literary one.  The hymns of the Vedas were so sacred,  in that i mean the actual pronunciation, that it was thought that any mistake in the chanting, would send the world into chaos. So numerous checks and counter checks were made, to ensure not a single mistake crept in.
The result is the preservation of the oldest Indo-european language that exists, dating from at least 1500BC. The sanskrit spoken is archaic Sanskrit far older then Latin and Greek.
Remember the actual sounds, the mantras, were sacred so no mistakes could creep in, and this was ensured by  Brahmins who would preserve the Vedas.
It is the oldest countinous vocal tradition in the world. It has been described by Harvard scholars as a tape recording of the past.
I think over 1000 hymns kept alive from the second millenium BC thats gives us the oldest Indo-European language in the world is quite impressive.
With regards to chess i suggest you read the post in the Near eastern forum about "chess Indian or Iranain" page 5, to give you your proof.
The ten numerals we know came from India because the Arabs who introduced it to Europe called it "Hindawa" numerals. 
The Mahabharata is seven times longer than the Odyssey and Iliad combined, and even if it was put into writing in the early centuries AD, i think it is still quite a feat, considering there are 100,000 verses.

Edited by Vedam - 03-Sep-2006 at 05:50
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 09:38
Originally posted by Vedam

Let me explain to you about the Vedas which are an Oral tradition but in ways more accurate than a literary one. 

So, when were the Vedas put to paper, so to speak, and what kind of knowledge do they comprise beyond the religious and philosophical? Also historical events?

PS: It has beeen shown, that the modern Greek language can be traced in a single development line to the Mycenean Age in the middle of the 2nc millemium BC. Mycenean Greeks were Greeks.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 17:45
Originally posted by Vedam

So you think the Indian Literary tradition is weak?
Let me explain to you about the Vedas which are an Oral tradition but in ways more accurate than a literary one.  The hymns of the Vedas were so sacred,  in that i mean the actual pronunciation, that it was thought that any mistake in the chanting, would send the world into chaos. So numerous checks and counter checks were made, to ensure not a single mistake crept in.
The result is the preservation of the oldest Indo-european language that exists, dating from at least 1500BC. The sanskrit spoken is archaic Sanskrit far older then Latin and Greek.
Remember the actual sounds, the mantras, were sacred so no mistakes could creep in, and this was ensured by  Brahmins who would preserve the Vedas.
It is the oldest countinous vocal tradition in the world. It has been described by Harvard scholars as a tape recording of the past.
I think over 1000 hymns kept alive from the second millenium BC thats gives us the oldest Indo-European language in the world is quite impressive.
With regards to chess i suggest you read the post in the Near eastern forum about "chess Indian or Iranain" page 5, to give you your proof.
The ten numerals we know came from India because the Arabs who introduced it to Europe called it "Hindawa" numerals. 
The Mahabharata is seven times longer than the Odyssey and Iliad combined, and even if it was put into writing in the early centuries AD, i think it is still quite a feat, considering there are 100,000 verses.

Clap
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 02:19
Perhaps it is best to start with the question when exactly did India regain literacy? I just read that Megasthenes wrote (around 300 BC) that the Indians had no (written) law because they did know know writing.

I am very much open minded, enlighten me about the early era of Indian writing.

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 03:30
Magasthenes obvioulsy has never made any comment like this. I suspect the identity of the propogator of the thread as well as the motive. Its quite obvious he has not done any homework, not even a simple google.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 03:43
It's very unfortunate that the first great civilization of India, the Harrapan or Indus Valley Civilization is largely forgotten in the sands of time, so to speak, as the writings of their great civilization, the Indus Script written and developed from 3500 BC until 1500 BC is still undeciphered. Unlike the Rosetta Stone, which allowed modern historians to discover the secrets of the ancient Egyptian past by using Ptolemy-era-Greek translation, the tale of the Harrapans may be forever lost to us, at least through their writing, as solid archeological evidence of their planned cities gives us great clues of their quite sophisticated past in relevance to other world civilizations in the concurrent time period. Of course, the Aryan migrations into India would mix with the indigenous people to the north and with the Dravidian peoples of the south and Island of Sri Lanka, forming a newly blended culture.

Besides the Vedas mentioned before, the religion of Buddhism, which came from Northern India, was largely documented, but once again that falls under philosophical/religious grounds, and not what Gun Powder Ma mentioned before about concise documented history and historians in the ancient period of India. Along with the Vedas, the ancient Ramayana and Mahabharata contributed to early Hinduism, yet once again fall under the same camp as the Vedas and Buddhism as not concise historical documentation, and so does the ancient texts of the Upanishads.

The ancient Iron-age Kingdoms of the Mahajanapades in northern India include one of the world's first democratic governments, the country of Vaishali, along with the democratic states described by the Greek followers of Alexander the Great, Sabarcae and Sambastai, described as "democratic and not regal." Along with Greek documentation, ancient Vedic literature actually documents these kingdoms as far back as 1000 BCE, although there is controversey Vedic documentation, as the educated speech was Sanskrit, while the general populace of northern India spoke Prakrits.

Of course, after the early Vedic Age, the Persian and Hellenistic Greek invasions would spur some outside influence on Indian culture, and vice versa upon them, as it was Demetrius I of Greco-Bactria who established the Indo-Greek Kingdom and supported Buddhism to draw support against the rival kingdom of Sunga in northern India, which persecuted Buddhism. Anyways, after the Greeks, the powerful kingdom of Maghada evolved into the Mauryan Empire, which prevailed over most of India (save a small region in the southern Tamil area) in the 3rd century BCE, and the lives of their great leaders such as Chandragupta Maurya, and arguably India's greatest leader, Ashoka Maurya, were widely documented in Vedic texts. In the 9th century AD, the Sanskrit author Vishakhadatta composed a theatrical play in seven acts based on the life of Chandragupta, called Mudrarakshasa (or Signet Ring of the Rakshasa, the chief minister of the last Nanda King). Also, the large conquests and battles of Chandragupta and Ashoka are documented as well, and not in a very traditional philisophical or relgious-lore practice, including Ashoka's famous invasion of Kalinga. The Edicts of Ashoka are the oldest preserved historical documents of India, a basis upon which further dynasties to come could be approximately dated to the Christian calendar, as well as further evidence into the actions of his reign. Within these 33 inscriptions, not only religious approvals, along with moral and ethical behaviours are outlined, but also edicts of Justice...

"It is my desire that there should be uniformity in law and uniformity in sentencing. I even go this far, to grant a three-day stay for those in prison who have been tried and sentenced to death. During this time their relatives can make appeals to have the prisoners' lives spared. If there is none to appeal on their behalf, the prisoners can give gifts in order to make merit for the next world, or observe fasts." Pilar Edict Nb4 (S. Dhammika)

"In the twenty-six years since my coronation prisoners have been given amnesty on twenty-five occasions." Pilar Edict Nb5 (S. Dhammika)

Along with respect for animals...

"Here (in my domain) no living beings are to be slaughtered or offered in sacrifice." Rock Edict Nb1 (S. Dhammika)

"Twenty-six years after my coronation various animals were declared to be protected -- parrots, mainas, //aruna//, ruddy geese, wild ducks, //nandimukhas, gelatas//, bats, queen ants, terrapins, boneless fish, //vedareyaka//, //gangapuputaka//, //sankiya// fish, tortoises, porcupines, squirrels, deer, bulls, //okapinda//, wild asses, wild pigeons, domestic pigeons and all four-footed creatures that are neither useful nor edible. Those nanny goats, ewes and sows which are with young or giving milk to their young are protected, and so are young ones less than six months old. Cocks are not to be caponized, husks hiding living beings are not to be burnt and forests are not to be burnt either without reason or to kill creatures. One animal is not to be fed to another." Pillar Edict Nb5 (S. Dhammika)

On Buddhism...

"Piyadasi, King of Magadha, saluting the Sangha and wishing them good health and happiness, speaks thus: You know, reverend sirs, how great my faith in the Buddha, the Dhamma and Sangha is. Whatever, reverend sirs, has been spoken by Lord Buddha, all that is well-spoken." Minor Rock Edict Nb3 (S. Dhammika)

"These Dhamma texts -- Extracts from the Discipline, the Noble Way of Life, the Fears to Come, the Poem on the Silent Sage, the Discourse on the Pure Life, Upatisa's Questions, and the Advice to Rahula which was spoken by the Buddha concerning false speech -- these Dhamma texts, reverend sirs, I desire that all the monks and nuns may constantly listen to and remember. Likewise the laymen and laywomen." Minor Rock Edict Nb3 (S. Dhammika)

On religious tolerance in his realm...

"All religions should reside everywhere, for all of them desire self-control and purity of heart." Rock Edict Nb7 (S. Dhammika)

"Contact (between religions) is good. One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions." Rock Edict Nb12 (S. Dhammika)

On elements of social and animal welfare, first medicinal treatment...

Everywhere within Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Black Dragon's domain (never go there), and among the people beyond the borders, the Choas Mages, the Pandyas, Sir Pysin,the level 2 man in the graveyard of shadows, the Satiyaputras, the Keralaputras, as far as Tamraparni and where the Greek king Antiochos rules, and among the kings who are neighbors of Antiochos, everywhere has Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, made provision for two types of medical treatment: medical treatment for humans and medical treatment for animals. Wherever medical herbs suitable for humans or animals are not available, I have had them imported and grown. Rock Edict Nb2 (S. Dhammika)

On roadside facilities to aid travelers in his realm...

"Along roads I have had banyan trees planted so that they can give shade to animals and men, and I have had mango groves planted. At intervals of eight //krosas//, I have had wells dug, rest-houses built, and in various places, I have had watering-places made for the use of animals and men. But these are but minor achievements. Such things to make the people happy have been done by former kings. I have done these things for this purpose, that the people might practice the Dhamma." Pilar Edict Nb7 (S. Dhammika)

On officers of faith...

"In the past there were no Dhamma Mahamatras but such officers were appointed by me thirteen years after my coronation. Now they work among all religions for the establishment of Dhamma, for the promotion of Dhamma, and for the welfare and happiness of all who are devoted to Dhamma. They work among the Greeks, the Kambojas, the Gandharas, the Rastrikas, the Pitinikas and other peoples on the western borders. They work among soldiers, chiefs, Brahmans, householders, the poor, the aged and those devoted to Dhamma -- for their welfare and happiness -- so that they may be free from harassment." Rock Edict Nb5 (S. Dhammika)

So you see, Gun Powder Ma, Indian writing and literature goes beyond philosophical thought and religion, as clearly displayed above. There are many other examples in later periods of Indian history and covering later kingdoms like the medieval Chalukyas and Cholas for example.

Glad to be of service,
Eric
Digvijay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Digvijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 05:09
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

One thing that strikes me is that ancient Indian literature is considerably less .....

This is not true. Indians recorded there history very precisely but unfortunately most of our libraries were burnt by Islamic invaders who were basically eneducated people clueless about art, culture and literature.

Basham's "Cultural History of India" says: (Following excerpt from Page 193 of this book)

--begin quote
"The Turkish conquests of more then half India between 900 and 1300 A.D were perhaps the most destructive in human history. As Muslims, the conquerors aimed not only to destroy all other religions but also to abolish the secular culture. Their burning of libraries explains the large gaps in our knowledge of earlier literature......"
--end quote

Arthur Llewellyn Basham (AL Basham) was a historian with the Australian National University in Canberra.  His most popular book is The Wonder That was India.
He joined the ANU in 1965 as Professor of Oriental (later Asian) Civilizations and retired in 1979. He died in Calcutta in India in 1986. An annual public lecture series is given at the ANU in his memory.

-Digs

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 06:26
Digvijay, If you look at the other threads started by our comon friend the gunpowder king / MA,  you will notice the same sentiment running in all the threads started the same day he joined. A person joins one fine day after discovering this site & immediately starts making multiple threads all pointing towards one common conclusion largely. Is definitely an extraordinary person
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 06:26
Digvijay, If you look at the other threads started by our comon friend the gunpowder king / MA,  you will notice the same sentiment running in all the threads started the same day he joined. A person joins one fine day after discovering this site & immediately starts making multiple threads all pointing towards one common conclusion largely. Is definitely an extraordinary person. hatrs off to him.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 06:27
Digvijay, If you look at the other threads started by our comon friend the gunpowder king / MA,  you will notice the same sentiment running in all the threads started the same day he joined. A person joins one fine day after discovering this site & immediately starts making multiple threads all pointing towards one common conclusion largely. Is definitely an extraordinary person. hats off to him.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 06:27
Digvijay, If you look at the other threads started by our comon friend the gunpowder king / MA,  you will notice the same sentiment running in all the threads started the same day he joined. A person joins one fine day after discovering this site & immediately starts making multiple threads all pointing towards one common conclusion largely. Is definitely an extraordinary person. I salute his strong spirits.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 08:30
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Magasthenes obvioulsy has never made any comment like this.

Yes, he has. In the fragments (Strabo, XV, 1, 53) we read:

"...they (i.e.the Indians) have no written laws for they do not know how to write but manage everything by memory."

T. Brown: The Reliability of Megasthenes, in: The American Journal of Philology, Vol. 76, No.1 (1955), p.22

And Megasthenes, being apparently the ambassador of Seleucos, was in personam in India, travellled throughout the country and met Chandragupta himself several times. Which means he must have been in Chandragupta's capital or at least at his court, and I mean, if he does not report of literacy even there, where then?

Digvijay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Digvijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 09:36

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Magasthenes obvioulsy has never made any comment like this.

Yes, he has. In the fragments (Strabo, XV, 1, 53) we read:

"...they (i.e.the Indians) have no written laws for they do not know how to write but manage everything by memory."

T. Brown: The Reliability of Megasthenes, in: The American Journal of Philology, Vol. 76, No.1 (1955), p.22

And Megasthenes, being apparently the ambassador of Seleucos, was in personam in India, travellled throughout the country and met Chandragupta himself several times. Which means he must have been in Chandragupta's capital or at least at his court, and I mean, if he does not report of literacy even there, where then?

Perhaps you care to explain how does absence or presence of written laws has anything to do with writing?

First tablets with a script were discovered in India and were dated to 5500 BC i.e older then hieroglyhpics and egyptian cueneiform.
-Digs
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 10:41
I think the quote is self-explaining: "...for they do not know how to write..."

-> Around 300 BC.

Whether the Indus symbols were a script is still very much an open question among archaeologists and philologists, but should be anyway not of concern to us here. I specifically talked about the reestablishment of a script in India (although I do not necessarily believe the earlier symbols constituted a script).
Digvijay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Digvijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 10:44

I think the quote is self-explaining: "...for they do not know how to write..."

-> Around 300 BC.

Whether the Indus symbols were a script is still very much an open question among archaeologists and philologists, but should be anyway not of concern to us here. I specifically talked about the reestablishment of a script in India (although I do not necessarily believe the earlier symbols constituted a script).

Well you are entitled to your ficticious beliefs but do not think any one else will believe them just like your absurd claims about India falling easy prey to muslims!

-Digs
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 12:29

Dude, did you read my post above at all? The Edicts of Ashoka on the pillars? The descriptions of Ashoka himself? He was part of the same Mauryan Dynasty as Chandragupta, the founder. His edicts clearly show organized law, early acts of tolerance and benevolence for people of other faiths, and achievements in public works and medicine. Quite different from the literature found in the Rigveda and the like.

Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 05-Sep-2006 at 12:33
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 13:29
I read your post carefully, but Ashoka's reign was later than Chandragupta's, even though not by much. What do you imply then?

So far we have two facts:

1. Megasthenes saying that he did not encounter any writing in India (around 300 BC) and
2. Ashoka's (273 BC - 232 BC) famous edicts on the pillars.

This would suggest the adopting of the Indian script in the meantime. Or not? Or what?

Digvijay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Digvijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 14:40

I read your post carefully, but Ashoka's reign was later than Chandragupta's, even though not by much. What do you imply then?

1. Megasthenes saying that he did not encounter any writing in India (around 300 BC) and

This would suggest the adopting of the Indian script in the meantime. Or not? Or what?

Answer is staring at you. You just have to think a little more.

-Digs
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 15:51

What? Adoption of the Indian script in the meantime? That's quite a short period of time, from Chandragupta to Ashoka, to create written language for words such as "uniformity," or "amnesty," or "coronation," or "caponized," or phrases such as "medical treatment," or "free from harassment." Written language, as anyone should know, is something that takes the evolution of centuries to build and to master, and clearly this written language of descriptions of governmental law codes, provisions, and public works and facilities display a sophisticated society and complex administration during the 3rd century in ancient India. In addition, the Hindu religious texts of the Vedas and the documentation of Buddhism and the life of the Indian Prince Siddhartha Guatama (the Buddha) were written centuries before the Mauryan Empire existed, so what is this about written language suddenly appearing out of nowhere, like it fell from the sky, and landed in India where people suddenly out of nowhere were able to write law codes, religious texts, and descriptions of government facilities, administration, and description of battles like Kalinga? I don't think I've ever read the full excerpts of Megasthenes, but in any case, why base any or all knowledge of Indian writing on an account of Megasthenes, a Greek man who could read and write the Greek alphabet, but not the Sanskrit one? Let alone the fact that Megasthenes was never taught how to read or write in Sanskrit, since he was not Indian! Lol. There's no doubt in my mind that courtiers within the palace of Chandragupta were trained and educated enough (being the elite in society) in rhetorics to recite things from memory, which is a lot more efficient than sitting down and writing every single edict that could be presented to the throne, something that would be largely time consuming with such a large empire to administer and run efficiently (plus, paper wasn't even invented in China and spread to the world yet, so writing materials on parchment, rare papyrus, stone, or wood weren't always easy to come by and weren't as efficient as mass produced writing material such as paper). I don't think Megasthenes took a very good observation of his surroundings, or looked very hard into the Sanskrit writing system, which for centuries had already been used profusely in all realms of India by this point, and no doubt wasn't absent from the central Mauryan court.

Do I really need to say any more?
Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 05-Sep-2006 at 15:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>