Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Napoleonic Battles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napoleonic Battles
    Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 15:35
The action whoich doomed Nappy was not even military IMO, the decision to sack Tallyerand.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 17:17
Originally posted by Jonathan4290

The first two would be my picks but Kulm? Wouldn't Liepzig be a more appropriate choice?

no, because Kulm totally reversed the strategic situation which was in favour of Napoleon after the battle of Dresden. the French I Corps was almost completely anihilated, only the corps cavalry managed to escape by headlessly charging through the Prussians which appeared at their rear and closed the "pocket". at Leipzig, even though Napoleon couldn't pull of a second Dresden, the coalition failed to crush Napoleon and allowed him and a large part of his army to escape. Leipzig is only significant because it was the largest battle in numbers, however it was not the most significant battle.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 17:21
what costed Napoleon most casualties in the Russian camapign were Cossacks, in rearguard actions on the advance and in innumerous raids durign the retreat. Napoleon lost most men on his advance to Moscow, not on the retreat. battles like Mir, Vinkovo and 1st Krasnoie decimated his cavalry forces more than anything before or after.
Samara View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Samara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 21:35
You forget the decisive battle of Friedland, very important because after this battle, Russia stopped the war, Prussia is destroyed and Poland was re created.
"All is loose, just the honour"

Francis in the battle of Pavia
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 01:17
there are a couple more that could be mentioned, but those three i mentioned are in my opinion the most decisive.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 01:30
Decisive and important are completely different things.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Samara View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Samara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 08:24
Yes but it stupid to resume the napoleonic battles to the defeat of napoleon.
Friedland is a decisive battle because do a term to the war of prussia and russia against france.

"All is loose, just the honour"

Francis in the battle of Pavia
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by Temujin

... at Leipzig, even though Napoleon couldn't pull of a second Dresden, the coalition failed to crush Napoleon and allowed him and a large part of his army to escape. Leipzig is only significant because it was the largest battle in numbers, however it was not the most significant battle.

Ummm, well Leipzig is generally regarded as one of the most decisive and important battles of the campaign, and the war in general.  After Leipzig, Napoleon was forced to retreat back across the Rhine and was left trying to defend France itself with inadequate forces.  It also directly implied the loss of all of the garrisons Napoleon had left behind, in anticipation of relieving them.  It also involved the first clear defeat of Napoleon on the battlefield.  It may have been somewhat less 'decisive' in terms of the 'material' effect if not for the fact that the bridge was blown prematurely, which trapped the entire rear guard of over 30,000.  As it involved heavy losses that the already outnumbered French could not afford, the loss of position and morale as it was a defeat of Napoleon himself, Leipzig was clearly significant and decisive.  I have no idea on what basis you consider Kulm more 'significant', seeing as it was a much smaller scale defeat of a subordinate where the losses were not only much smaller but much closer to even on both sides as well.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 12:15

what costed Napoleon most casualties in the Russian camapign were Cossacks, in rearguard actions on the advance and in innumerous raids durign the retreat...

Non-battle related losses were much higher, especially during the retreat during which the weather was very bad.  That was generally true of all Napoleonic campaigns, but much more so of the retreat during bad weather through a 'devastated' zone.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 15:01
Originally posted by deadkenny

Ummm, well Leipzig is generally regarded as one of the most decisive and important battles of the campaign, and the war in general.  After Leipzig, Napoleon was forced to retreat back across the Rhine and was left trying to defend France itself with inadequate forces.  It also directly implied the loss of all of the garrisons Napoleon had left behind, in anticipation of relieving them.  It also involved the first clear defeat of Napoleon on the battlefield.  It may have been somewhat less 'decisive' in terms of the 'material' effect if not for the fact that the bridge was blown prematurely, which trapped the entire rear guard of over 30,000.  As it involved heavy losses that the already outnumbered French could not afford, the loss of position and morale as it was a defeat of Napoleon himself, Leipzig was clearly significant and decisive.  I have no idea on what basis you consider Kulm more 'significant', seeing as it was a much smaller scale defeat of a subordinate where the losses were not only much smaller but much closer to even on both sides as well.

so are we back for another round of "you don't know the 1813 campaign at all"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 15:02

Non-battle related losses were much higher, especially during the retreat during which the weather was very bad.  That was generally true of all Napoleonic campaigns, but much more so of the retreat during bad weather through a 'devastated' zone.

yes thats true, but i was comparing with pitched battles, which didn't significantly reduced the French forces proportionate to what the Russians fielded against them.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 15:29

That's not that I'm saying.  Is that what you're saying?  All I said was that Leipzig is generally recognized as being a significant and decisive defeat for Napoleon, that directly led to the loss of 'Germany' and all of the garrisons that had been left behind.  So I do not understand the basis upon which you are 'minimizing' the importance.  Conversely I do not understand the basis upon which you are rating Kulm so highly. 

To give an example, say Napoleon has 210,000 troops.  He detaches a separate force of 10,000 under a subordinate and commands the remaining 200,000 himself.  Now in two separate battles, his 10,000 man force is completely wiped out at the battle of Aaaaa, while Napoleon himself is defeated and loses half of his army (i.e. 100,000) at the battle of Bbbbb.  Now it sounds to me that you are saying that Aaaaa is more important than Bbbbb, because French losses were 100% at Aaaaa but only 50% at Bbbbb.  I'm say it was Bbbbb that decided the entire campaign and the 100,000 losses there far outweigh the 10,000.  So, is that what you're saying?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 16:08
well, we must look at the bigger picture Wink

after the resuming of hostilities for the autumn campaign of 1813, the Austrian Army of Bohemia marched in full strenght towards the Saxon capital of Dresden. this was held by Napoleons formidable marshal Gouvion St. Cyr and had also strong defensive works. the allies commenced their attack on the city while Napoleon with his Grande Armee marched to St. Cyrs support and after two days fighting, Napoleon with his now numerically stronger Army pushed the Army of Bohemia from the gates of Dresden back over the Erzgebirge into Austria (Bohemia).

so far so good. to analyze the situation: Napoleon was faced on three sides with enemy armies, in the north the Army of the North under the cautious crownprince of sweden, in the east the headstrong Blcher with the Army of Silesia and in the south again the cautious Marshal Schwarzenberg with the main Army of Bohemia. Blcher remained defensive at first while Schwarzenberg resumed the offensive against Dresden from the south. Napoleon recognized the Army of Bohemia as the main thread and determined to face her. to keep the other armies on distance, he send first Oudinot and later Ney to take and destroy Berlin, both who were defeated by von Blows corps of the Army of the North. against Blcher, he has sent Marshall MacDonald who was equally defeated by Blcher. for the southern theater, he had Marshall Gouvion St. Cyr who occupied Dresden with his corps. Napoleon planned to reinforce Dresden himself and take the strenghtened I Corps of Vandamme to cross the Elbe south of Dresden and to fall the Army of Bohemia in its flank. in case of sucess, Napoleon promissed Vandamme to elevate him tot eh rank of Marshall.

now, ignoring the other fronts, we have the coalition on the offensive and Napoleon meetign the threat himself with a plan that would knock the whole Army of Bohemia out of the war in one single blow. while the battle of Dresden went exactly to his plans, the sucessive events did not quite turn out as they should have.

after Dresden, teh corps of the Army of Bohemia retreated in disorder back over the sfatey of the erzgebirge into Bohemia with Vandamme on their heels. at the village of Kulm, the French met with the Divisions of Ostermann-Tolstoi and Eugene of Wrttemberg, who managed under severe losses on both sides to stop the French advance with the Russian Guards. this determiend stand allowed other coalition forces to rally and come up the next day to participate in the battle. the French were with their backs against the Erzgebirge and as they would see the next day, the Russian Guards were reinforced by more Russian and Austrian divisions and their only retreat route, from which they came was blocked by Zietens Prussian corps who happened to retreat following the route of Vandammes I corps.
the French infantry was driven against the mountians and were tiher killed or captured, the corps cavalry charging headlessly through the surprised Prussian lines back into safety. the marshal-to-be Vandamme was captured by Russian Jgers. as a result, Schwarzenberg issued a victory proclamation which greatly raised the morale as troops from all coalition countries destroyed Napoleosn largest corps and caputred its commanders. the King of Prussia established the Iron Cross as award for the participants of this battle. the most important point was, that Napoleons plan was not only foiled but actually reversed, his strongest and best corps was no more and he lost the strategic initiative. added to that the failures of his subordinates, he had to concentrate his forces in the vicinity of Leipzig, with the well known result.

therefore, i have to considder the battle of Kulm as turning point in the 1813 campaign. Leipzig is only overstated as the largest battle of the Nap Wars and as "battle of nations" for propagandistic nations. even though the french army was encircled at Leipzig, Napoleon managed to slip through and the coalition failed to destroy the French Army and to capture Napoleon, both of who would contine their ressistance in France with sometimes great sucesses.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 16:40

therefore, i have to considder the battle of Kulm as turning point in the 1813 campaign. Leipzig is only overstated as the largest battle of the Nap Wars and as "battle of nations" for propagandistic nations. even though the french army was encircled at Leipzig, Napoleon managed to slip through and the coalition failed to destroy the French Army and to capture Napoleon, both of who would contine their ressistance in France with sometimes great sucesses.

At Kulm the French were outnumbered by good Allied troops.  Although they may have 'escaped' with fewer losses, I do not see what prospect they had of 'winning'.  In fact the true 'turning point' of the 1813 campaign was the armistice.  Although Napoleon may have had a chance to defeat the Russian / Prussian forces he was facing before the armistice, and in fact he had them 'on the ropes', he was in a much worse position afterwards against what he was facing.  I just don't see any realistic chance for a major French victory at Kulm.  At least at Leipzig Napoleon had managed to concentrate a large enough force against part of the converging Allied armies to be able to defeat a portion of them.  That he allowed himself to be engaged in a multi-day battle at Leipzig, and to be defeated by the concentrated enemy armies and then lost heavily during the retreat led directly to the loss of Germany and all of the garrison that were still holding out.  None of that was evident after Kulm, but it clearly was after Leipzig.  That is why Leipzig is rightly regarded at the most decisive and important battle of the campaign, not just the 'largest'.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 16:46

yes thats true, but i was comparing with pitched battles, which didn't significantly reduced the French forces proportionate to what the Russians fielded against them.

The key point I was making was that the difference between the northern and southern routes related directly to the non-battlefield losses.  Also note that having to disperse more widely to 'forage' an already devastated area made the French even more vulnerable to raids by Cossacks etc.  Finally, although it is true that in terms of numbers the French suffered more attrition in the advance to Moscow than in the retreat - during the advance those that could not keep up were 'lost' to their units, but were not likely dead and thus were not permanently lost.  During the retreat, it was far more likely that those attrition losses were 'permanent', as they were left for dead or fell into enemy hands. 
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 19:22

Let me be more clear about what I am, and what I am not saying.  There are two different types of statements that we might argue / debate / discuss.  One type is an objective definitive statement of fact.  The other is a subjective opinion or summary of analysis.  So, for example, if you say that Spanish forces did not participate in the invasion of SW France in 1814, I say no that is wrong.  It is demonstrable that Spanish forces invaded SW France along with the British.  On the other hand if you say Kulm was more decisive / important / significant than Leipzig, no one can say definitively that is 'wrong'.  Of course Kulm mattered and made a difference.  It improved the Allies' position versus the French.  Leipzig had the same effect.  Which one had more effect is to some extent subjective.  I will say that, IMHO, the effect that you attribute to Kulm (i.e. the 'reversal' of the advantage for the French gained via the victory at Dresden) is more accurately attributed to a combination of the defeats at Kulm plus Katzbach plus Dennewitz.  So from my perspective, it was a series of defeats of Napoleon's subordinates that 'set up' the situation leading up to Leipzig., not simply the result of Kulm alone.  If Kulm was lost, as historically, but Katzbach and Dennewitz were won, the advantage would not have been lost, as it was.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 19:50

At Kulm the French were outnumbered by good Allied troops.  Although they may have 'escaped' with fewer losses, I do not see what prospect they had of 'winning'.  In fact the true 'turning point' of the 1813 campaign was the armistice.  Although Napoleon may have had a chance to defeat the Russian / Prussian forces he was facing before the armistice, and in fact he had them 'on the ropes', he was in a much worse position afterwards against what he was facing.  I just don't see any realistic chance for a major French victory at Kulm.  At least at Leipzig Napoleon had managed to concentrate a large enough force against part of the converging Allied armies to be able to defeat a portion of them.  That he allowed himself to be engaged in a multi-day battle at Leipzig, and to be defeated by the concentrated enemy armies and then lost heavily during the retreat led directly to the loss of Germany and all of the garrison that were still holding out.  None of that was evident after Kulm, but it clearly was after Leipzig.  That is why Leipzig is rightly regarded at the most decisive and important battle of the campaign, not just the 'largest'.

no no no, you miss out on quite a few points here.

first, if Vandamme had carried out the pursuit of the Army of Bohemia as Napoleon had envisaged in his plan, the main coalition army would have been seriously mauled and crippled for the rest of the campaign, it could have even convinced the still hesistant and war-torn Austrians to drop out of the coalition. it just went different as Kulm was not planed the way it happened by neither side. it also deprived Napoleon of his main striking arm, the overstrenght I Corps. also, as noted already, it forced Napoleon to withdrew to Leipzig, where he was pinned down by the Coalition. without Kulm, there would have been no Leipzig in the first place.

second, no matter how often you repeat it, the Prusso-Russian coalition was NOT on the ropes, they were able to withdrew from both battles without losing their morale or esteem to carry on the fight. there is not a single evidence that this was the case and i don't see why you fix your opinion so strongly on this misconception?

third, Napoleon only had that many troops concentrated at Leipzig because his diversionary attacks which i mentioned earlier have all been defeated and streamed back to the grande armee, but none of those battles was as important as Kulm. and Napoleon only was at Leipzig in the first place because of Kulm. that Napoleon lost at Leipzig had various reasons but none of those was his responsibility. at Liebertwolkwitz Murat lost againstt eh enemy cavalry even though he had different orders. this resulted basically in losing the south to the coalition. later Marmont lost against Blow at Mckern after a bloody battle and the north was lost to Napoleon and the coalition further tightened their grip. after Yorcks Corps won at Wartenburg the Northwest was also losta nd with Blchers arrival and that of the main troops from the Army of Bohemia, the battle of Wachau was botched again by Murat who failed in the great cavalry charge and on the coalition side descided by Eugene of Wrttemberg who didn't allowed hsi Russian troops to withdraw just like it happened at Kulm. in both instances individual courage and the will to hold up the defense ensured that Napoleon would not regain the initiative and that his plans were foiled. had the Russian Guards bent at Kulm, Vandamme could have continued his advance and the retreating coalition forces would not have been able to rally and counterattack the I corps. the battle of Leipzig itself, was not decisive in any way. Napoleon already descided on a fighting retreat. the left bank of the Elster was not strongly enough guarded by few Austrian troops and Napoleon could make for a rather relaxed fightign retreat which went more or less accordign to his plan for a change. also the Bavarian intervention at Hanau couldn't do anything to seriously stop the French retreat behind the Rhine. this shows that the French Army was far from broken. the garrisons were left behind in Germany puposedly so that in case of a decisive victory in France 1814, Napoleon could immediately push forward back into Germany and re-establish hegemony in central europe. also, none of the German minors switched their allegiance as a result of Leipzig, in fact the change of sides of Bavaria caused a domino effect which eventually caused all neighbouring states to change sides by force, rather because of nationalistic feelings which was the reason propagated after the Nap Wars. since Bavaria already switched allegiance before Leipzig the battle itself was no reason.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 19:58

Let me be more clear about what I am, and what I am not saying.  There are two different types of statements that we might argue / debate / discuss.  One type is an objective definitive statement of fact.  The other is a subjective opinion or summary of analysis.  So, for example, if you say that Spanish forces did not participate in the invasion of SW France in 1814, I say no that is wrong.  It is demonstrable that Spanish forces invaded SW France along with the British.  On the other hand if you say Kulm was more decisive / important / significant than Leipzig, no one can say definitively that is 'wrong'.  Of course Kulm mattered and made a difference.  It improved the Allies' position versus the French.  Leipzig had the same effect.  Which one had more effect is to some extent subjective.  I will say that, IMHO, the effect that you attribute to Kulm (i.e. the 'reversal' of the advantage for the French gained via the victory at Dresden) is more accurately attributed to a combination of the defeats at Kulm plus Katzbach plus Dennewitz.  So from my perspective, it was a series of defeats of Napoleon's subordinates that 'set up' the situation leading up to Leipzig., not simply the result of Kulm alone.  If Kulm was lost, as historically, but Katzbach and Dennewitz were won, the advantage would not have been lost, as it was.

but Kulm was the most important of those three battles, the others were essentially just diversionary attacks to keep the other armies occupied while Napoleon & Vandamme were dealing with the Army of Bohemia. after this failed, he made another half-hearted attempt to knock Prussia out of the war by renewing his push on Berlin under Ney with slightly more and better troops since the first defeat at Grobeeren was a close-run battle. the battle of Dennewitz was therefore the last major French offensive operation of the 1813 campaign.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 20:19
The problem with your characterization is that there was practically no prospect of the French achieving what you're claim - i.e. the 'severe mauling' of the Allies' army and knocking Austria out of the coalition.  Vandamme was stopped by Osterman, which was pretty well inevitable given that the Allies had more troops, and good ones at that (including the Russian Guard).  The part that was 'unfortunate' for the French was von Kleist hitting Vandamme in the flank while he as engaged frontally by the other Allied forces.  So, as I said, Kulm might have ended with the French escaping with fewer losses, but not with the incredible victory you claim.  I might just as well say Leipzig was more important because Napoleon might have destroyed all of the Allied armies gathered there in one shot.  That wasn't going to happen, and nor were the Allies going to be 'mauled', nor Austria knocked out, by the result at Kulm.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 19:44
well as i said before, Vandamme had a reinforced I Corps and on the first day only faced the Russian Guards Division of Ostermann-Tolstoi and Eugene of Wrttemberg, so he wastly outnumbered his opponent and could have achieved a victory there if it was not for the stand of the Russian Guards. the Corps of the coalition were still in retreat after Dresden and had not regrouped, which they only did after hearing of Vandammes pursuit. Napoleon nor Vandamme expected Kleists corps blocking his retreat route and the Corps Marmont & St. Cyr which were on the pursuit but were still too far away to intervene and support the blow. so it was a matter of wrong timing on the French side and a matter of personal courage on the side of the Russian Guards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>