Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Napoleonic Battles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napoleonic Battles
    Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 22:04
This is a simple question,

With such diversity, twists and turns, changing politics and such. And a  huge selection of viable candidates to choose.....

What do people think was the most important battle of the Napoleonic Wars and why...............

Edited by Paul - 31-Aug-2006 at 22:05
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 00:12
It's really a tough decision, but I don't think that any land battle, except perhaps for the broad campaign in Russia, could compete with Trafalgar, the Nile, or St. Vincent. St. Vincent especially is one of the most underrated battles of the wars, bordering on importance with the Nile and showing to a great extent the development of Nelson's tactics. Nelson was a great genius, but he wouldn't have been what he was without John Jervis.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 01:09
For Napoleon I would say Austerlitz. It pretty much opened the floodgates for him to dominate most of Europe. It finished Austria for the most and put Russia on its heels. Not to mention it was a brilliant battle.

The Battle of Leipzig for the allies. It was a fight that Napoleon didnt want to fight and had he avioded the battle, which he pretty much couldnt, might have been able to beat the allies piecemeal like usual. The allied forces were on shakey ground between themselves in terms of overall goals and this victory made Paris more of a goal instead of returning to a status quo of borders. There was a battle in spain bardain(or something) that was also pretty important in shaking French invinsiblity as well.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 01:36
Battle of Borodino was the most important. If Napoleon won decisevly maybe He could have a chance to overrun Russia.
This thread belongs to Early Modern. Moderators, please move this.  
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 11:34
Agree entirely with Timotheus. St Vincent (the battle) is kind of overlooked nowadays, but it was certainly recognised as a triumph at the time.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by gcle2003

Agree entirely with Timotheus. St Vincent (the battle) is kind of overlooked nowadays, but it was certainly recognised as a triumph at the time.

Its not part of the Napoleonic wars for one. It was 3 years before Napoleon even fought at Marengo which was kind of the close to the French Revolution and also not really part of the Napoleonic wars. The effects of Trafalgar are also over glorified. As a naval battle in history it is probably one of the top if not the top ever. Its effect on the war however can be argued.

Majkes I kind or wanted to put Borodino as well. Reason being it really hurt Napoleon alot as it was extremely too costly at that point in the campaign. Even had he eventually routed the russians in the battle the manpower loss was devastating and those who were wounded had little time before winter came on. It may have been the turning point battle in his career as it gave the allies the mindset that he and his army were beatable.

Edited by Gundamor - 01-Sep-2006 at 14:48
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 15:18
I guess one measure would be what if the result was reversed?

I think the French could have recovered more easily from defeat at Austerlitz than Marengo or even Jena. Wargram after Apsern-Essling would have been difficult to recover from too. If the French lost Borodino they would have been anihilated in Russia, but they were anyway. Trafalgar would have been nice for them to win, but the RN was more than capable of recovering from a single defeat...... So I'll go for Marengo.

For the allies, defeat at Waterloo wouldn't have changed much with so many more troops on the way. Leipzig to was well within allied resources to absorb. If Prussia had won at Jena the Russians and Austrians would probably have declared war.... So I'll go for Jena for the allies.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 16:56
Originally posted by Paul

I guess one measure would be what if the result was reversed?

I think the French could have recovered more easily from defeat at Austerlitz than Marengo or even Jena. Wargram after Apsern-Essling would have been difficult to recover from too. If the French lost Borodino they would have been anihilated in Russia, but they were anyway. Trafalgar would have been nice for them to win, but the RN was more than capable of recovering from a single defeat...... So I'll go for Marengo.

For the allies, defeat at Waterloo wouldn't have changed much with so many more troops on the way. Leipzig to was well within allied resources to absorb. If Prussia had won at Jena the Russians and Austrians would probably have declared war.... So I'll go for Jena for the allies.

The allies were not really allies. All sides had different views on how far they wanted to take things. Leipzig was a huge step. They couldnt just absorb losses. It may have resulted in some of them sueing for peace with the borders as original or with some aquired territory. Certainly not an overall defeat of Napoleon and a march on Paris. Napoleon fought Leipzig to open up ways to retreat not because he wanted too.

I assume you mean Auerstedt and not Jena. Jena was never going to be a Prussian victory and even Neys usual bumblings couldnt lose it. Russia was still at war with France and Austria had no army to declare war(results of Ulm and Austerlitz) at that time. Had Davout lost at Aurstedt, Napoleons main body and Bernadottes stray corps would of been well more then enough to smash what little was left of the Prussians to bits. After the battle the Prussian army was reduced to a rabble and would indicate that a Prussian win even wouldnt have changed the outcome of the campaign. Jena-Auerstedts major result was the reforms it put on the Prussian military which really never enabled it to face the French army up to that point.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 18:04
Originally posted by Gundamor

I assume you mean Auerstedt and not Jena. Jena was never going to be a Prussian victory and even Neys usual bumblings couldnt lose it. Russia was still at war with France and Austria had no army to declare war(results of Ulm and Austerlitz) at that time. Had Davout lost at Aurstedt, Napoleons main body and Bernadottes stray corps would of been well more then enough to smash what little was left of the Prussians to bits. After the battle the Prussian army was reduced to a rabble and would indicate that a Prussian win even wouldnt have changed the outcome of the campaign. Jena-Auerstedts major result was the reforms it put on the Prussian military which really never enabled it to face the French army up to that point.

Austerdat was only a minor battle and of no significance to the outcome. Jena on the other was where the French main body was and this would have been a mighty loss for the French.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 09:39
Originally posted by Gundamor

Originally posted by gcle2003

Its not part of the Napoleonic wars for one. It was 3 years before Napoleon even fought at Marengo which was kind of the close to the French Revolution and also not really part of the Napoleonic wars.

I'll give you that. I tend to think of everything from 1793-1815 as the 'Napoleonic Wars' but I agree that's not scrupulously correct.

Where would you start the Napoleonic wars? When he became first consul, or when he became emperor?

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 19:19

Trafalgar and Borodino I think..

One for finishing Napoleon's illusions of defeating England somehow, and the other as being the turning point...(Even though French claim to win in Borodino, their casualties were irreplaceable...Russians have the same claim,though)
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 05:27
Seems reasonable.

Like the Battle of Britain and Stalingrad?
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 22:54

I think the most important battle of the Napoleonic Wars wasn't a battle at all but the entire Spanish Campaign. The French won tons of battles in Spain but couldn't defeat the guerrillas or the resilient British, losing an average 100 men per day. This amounts to over 180,000 dead Frenchmen, more than any battle of the era. The entire campaign embarassed Napoleon's policies showed Europe they could defeat him and should attempt to do so.

If I must choose one battle, it'd be Baylen, 1808 where Dupont surrendered his entire force to the Spanish. This battle contributed to Austria's decision to renew the war against France and was inspiration for the entire Spanish guerrilla movement.
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 14:09
This may seem really obvious but surely the battle of Waterloo was the battle which fianlly ended Napoleon as a threat to europe especially when considering the closeness of the battle which indead suggest he was still a force to be reckoned with at that piont
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 17:44
Based on the 'reversing the result' measure, I would have to go with Trafalgar.  Historically the French / Spanish fleet was anihilated, with relatively little damage to the British (other than Nelson himself!).  A crushing defeat for the RN, with little loss to the Franco-Spanish fleet would have left Britain wide open for invasion.  The only 'problem' with that view is the unlikelihood of such an 'extreme' outcome in the opposite direction actually occurring. 

Borodino has been mentioned, and although I agree with the significance of the outcome of the Russian Campaign in total, I do not necessarily agree that Borodino can be 'pinpointed' as the (or even a) major cause.  If one is considering Borodino on the basis of 'missed opportunities' to decisively defeat the Russians, then I believe there were a number of much greater 'missed opportunities' earlier in the campaign, such as at Vitebsk.

I would still point to the Russian Campaign as decisive, but I will pick a somewhat different choice as 'the' battle to point to.  At the Battle of Maloyaroslavets, the French actually won a 'tactical victory'.  However, the Russian resistance there led Napoleon to take the more 'northern' route of retreat rather than the more 'southern' route that he had planned on taking.  As the 'northern' route was already devestated due to the Russians retreating and French advancing along it to Moscow earlier in the campaign, this decision led directly to the loss of practically the entire French army retreating from Moscow. 

Edited by deadkenny - 12-Mar-2008 at 17:46
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 19:37
the most descisive battles were Ulm, Baylen and Kulm.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 01:11
The first two would be my picks but Kulm? Wouldn't Liepzig be a more appropriate choice?

Originally posted by deadkenny

I would still point to the Russian Campaign as decisive, but I will pick a somewhat different choice as 'the' battle to point to.  At the Battle of Maloyaroslavets, the French actually won a 'tactical victory'.  However, the Russian resistance there led Napoleon to take the more 'northern' route of retreat rather than the more 'southern' route that he had planned on taking.  As the 'northern' route was already devestated due to the Russians retreating and French advancing along it to Moscow earlier in the campaign, this decision led directly to the loss of practically the entire French army retreating from Moscow. 

Very interesting. Is there strong evidence that the casualties sustained were enough to affect the following campaigns?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 01:25
Originally posted by Jonathan4290

Very interesting. Is there strong evidence that the casualties sustained were enough to affect the following campaigns?

Evidence that the casualties sustained in the Russian Campaign affected the following campaign?  The fact that Napoleon was forced to take veterans from Spain to rebuild his guard and fight the 1813 campaign largely with 'raw' recruits and inadequate cavalry were a direct result of losing almost the entire army in Russia.  If you mean casualties suffered at the Battle of Maloyaroslavets, the losses there were relatively small (a few thousand each side).  The critical outcome of the battle was Napoleon's decision to take the devestated northern retreat route vs. the far superior southern route.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 02:59
I meant to ask that if the southern route had been taken the French casualties would've been much smaller? My numbers say only 25,000 French made it out of Russia with the northern route, how many do you guess could've made it out using the southern route?
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by Jonathan4290

I meant to ask that if the southern route had been taken the French casualties would've been much smaller? My numbers say only 25,000 French made it out of Russia with the northern route, how many do you guess could've made it out using the southern route?

OK, got it.  Honestly, that's very hard to say with any certainty.  However, in general terms there is good reason to believe that the effect would have been huge.  Aside from the few 'depots', the troops were forced to 'live off the land'.  That was almost impossible with the devastated northern route.  It was difficult to 'forage' for what little was left because the Russians were constantly 'harassing' the French all the way.  With the undevastated southern route (which Napoleon originally favoured for exact that reason) it would have been easier to obtain some supplies without having to disperse too far in order to forage.  Further, the pursuing Russians would have been worse off than the French in that they would have been pursuing in the 'wake' of a region that had just been 'foraged' by the French.  Historically the Russians suffered almost as much as the French as both were moving through an already devastated region.  The vast majority of the French losses sustained during the retreat were due to 'attrition'.  So it is reasonable to assume that many of those losses may have been saved.  As a 'guess' I would say perhaps 2 to 3 times as many troops may have gotten out, and those that did may have been in much better condition - still having more of their horses etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>