Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

question for urdu readers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question for urdu readers
    Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 12:28
From all the Persian and Arabic borrowings in Urdu is it possible for Urdu readers to glean the gist of Persian texts? Or is it too different?
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
indiafinest.com View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote indiafinest.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 12:50
Its different, I know to read urdu, but i cant understand persian, alphabet set is almost same but they have all different words, only some words are same. Urdu is 75% hindi and 25% arabic/persian words, grammar is same as hindi.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 14:13
I know the grammar is the same as Hindi but I guess it seemed to me that those versed in scholarly Urdu would understand more Persian words than the average person.  Guess I was wrong. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 17:02
I can understand some farsi just by reading it. Most words in urdu have 2 or 3 substitutes. Turns out many of those substitures are either arabic or farsi. If I read farsi I can make out about 1/3 of the vocabulary almost. And I have never taken any lessons in farsi. Now hindi speakers would have more trouble. 
RajputGirl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote RajputGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 18:20
^I take it you're a Pakistani?

If the answer yes, let's just say that explains a lot.  LOL  
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 00:39
In pakistan the language is evolving gradually as becoming closer & closer to arabic instead of farsi. While in india the old urdu still continues, which is hindi written in farsi script with some farsi & arabic words thrown in.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 01:00
Yes, you can understand alot of Farsi.
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 21:05
i understand many farsi (persian) words because kashmiri is heavily influnced by the eastern iranic languages. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 03:17
And many Pakistanis can understand Farsi pretty easily since a lot of our poetry and literature us in that langauge.
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 13:44
well yeah i heard the people who speak older urdu can understand a lot of farsi, but newer urdu has lost most of its persian touch.
 Post Reply Post Reply