Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Grey Cells - Exercise !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Grey Cells - Exercise !
    Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 20:08
Not so good at thinking these up. Lets try this one:

There are three light switches to three different rooms. You don't know which switch belongs to which room.
From where the switches are you can't tell if a light is on or off, nor from one room can you see into another room. As in, you have to travel to a room to determine if the light is on or off.

How can you switch the light to one particular room on (while having the other two off) by only making one trip to one room?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 04:39
Seko solved the DOOR riddle - well done Clap

Omar
You are asking how I can swith the light on in a particular room.
Should I understand that expression as ...
 "How can you find out which switch is corrensponding to which room by only making one trip to one room"?

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 05:28
 "How can you find out which switch is corrensponding to which room by only making one trip to one room"?

Yes.
You only need to find out which switch corresponds to the one particular room you wish to turn on. If you don't know the other two, it doesn't matter.

My hint is that this is a real world situation.

EDIT: Your allowed to come back after the trip. ie, turn any switches on and/or off, go to one room, come back, change any switches. - but thats it.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 05-Sep-2006 at 05:31
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 05:46
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Yes.
You only need to find out which switch corresponds to the one particular room you wish to turn on. If you don't know the other two, it doesn't matter.

My hint is that this is a real world situation

OK...  so the task is to find three different ways to create a uniqe situation in each room that you can observe entering any of the rooms.

For two of the switches - lets say A and B, we could swith A on, and leave B off. That would give the obvious result in two of the rooms - light or no light.
For C we need something different.
I would turn on switch C for 30 seconds - then off again.

- in the room corresponding to switch A, there would be light
 - in the room corresponding to switch B, the light would be off
 - in the room corresponding to switch C, the light would be off, but the bulb would be warm.

That must be it...

Edited by Northman - 05-Sep-2006 at 05:47
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 18:43
Very good ClapClapClap

That was almost too easy.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 19:15
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Very good ClapClapClap

That was almost too easy.

Thanks - yes. almost Wink

Solutions to the Penguin/Tiger puzzle.

Part ONE....

DOOR I read:
IN THIS ROOM IS A LADY PENGUIN, AND IN THE OTHER ROOM IS A TIGER.
DOOR II read:
IN ONE OF THESE ROOMS IS A LADY PENGUIN AND IN ONE OF THESE ROOMS IS A TIGER
"Are these statements true?", Pingo asked the Yeti.
The reply was, "One is true, and one is false"

The right answer is Room II:
If we start assuming statement 1 is true, then statement 2 must also be true. This cannot be the case, since one is false and one is true.
Subsequently, since statement 1 is false, then statement 2 must be true, so there IS a Penguin in one of the rooms, and since statement 1 is false,
we can reverse that statement and conclude that the Penguin is in Room II.

Part TWO...

DOOR I read:
THERE IS A LADY PENGUIN IN ONE OR BOTH OF THESE ROOMS
DOOR II read:
THERE IS A TIGER IN THE OTHER ROOM
Pingo asked again, whether the statements were true.
"Both are true - or both are false" the Yeti said.

The right answer is ROOM II:
If statement 2 is false, then there is a Pinguin in room I, but that makes statement 1 true. This cannot occur, since both statements are either true
or false.
According to this, they both must be true, and statement 2 says the tiger is behind door 1. We must chose ROOM II again.

NEW PUZZLE:

In the city where I live, the people in the Western part of town are always telling lies, whereas people living in the Eastern part is always telling the truth.

After a long night out, visiting every bar in both parts of the town, I found myself waking up on a bench in a park.
I didnt know where I was, but luckily enough, I spotted an older woman comming out her front door, entering the path leading to my bench and the question is....
What question (one question) could I ask her to find out in which part of town I was, well knowing she could be lying or telling the truth?

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 23:28
That seems to easy, I'll PM you my idea.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 02:25
You're right Omar....  I remembered it wrong - let me refrase...  it should have been like this:

The city where I live is divided in two parts, a Western and a Eastern part.
The citizens living in one of those parts, Eastern or Western. are always telling lies, whereas people living in the other part is always telling the truth.

After a long night out, visiting every bar in both parts of the town, I found myself waking up on a bench in a park.
I didnt know where I was, but luckily enough, I spotted an older woman comming out her front door, entering the path leading to my bench and the question is....
What question (one question) could I ask her to find out in which part of town I was, well knowing she could be lying or telling the truth?
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 04:00
I just read the whole thread and I've got to say, you guys, apart from being smart, are funny also. I particularly liked those:
Originally posted by Seko

The poor guy piss'n his pants at the back of the line sees the color of the lucky fart directly in front of him. He could say the color in a particular slang (let's say north Amercian midwest English). White! That really means the guy in front has a white hat. Now when it comes to this next guys turn he has to say the correct color of his own hat in order to save his skin. Before he says it out loud, however, he notices the color of the next guy in front and gives him a clue too. If the other guy in front has a 'Red' hat then the guy behind says 'Wayt' with a southern twist. That is the preconcieved way of saying, "Dude, your hat is really Red but I'm saying it this way to give you a heads up and save my own hide in the process.

Originally posted by Northman

Penguina couldnt help, she was a blonde
This Daggers guy would be best of shooting at the Archer first, but only if he makes sure not to hit anything... LOLLOLLOL
If I was him, I would make my first shot straight into the air and hope the bullet wouldnt harm anyone on its way down. Wink
If I was such a bad shooter like him, I would prefer to try to kill somebody with my first shot and fail, that shoot in the air and kill somebody LOLLOL

As for the last teaser North, let me think about it and I'll PM you if I come up with sth.

edit: I PM'd you

Edited by Neoptolemos - 06-Sep-2006 at 04:26
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 05:30
ok, here is my answer.
I would ask her:
"Is your wife living in the Western part of the city?"
If she says "YES", then she is lying, so I'm in the Eastern part [she's a woman so she can't have a wife; at least in my city LOL]
If she says: "OMG, what are you talking about, can't you see that I'm a woman? Shame on you Censored  Yes, this is the Western (Eastern) part you retard!", then I'm in the Western (Eastern) part [she's telling the truth]

Now that I think about it again North, maybe my answer is not so complete. What if she get's pissed and, after swearing at me, she won't tell me in which part I am? ErmmLOL

Edited by Neoptolemos - 06-Sep-2006 at 05:31
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 05:42
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

ok, here is my answer.
I would ask her:
"Is your wife living in the Western part of the city?"
If she says "YES", then she is lying, so I'm in the Eastern part [she's a woman so she can't have a wife; at least in my city LOL]
If she says: "OMG, what are you talking about, can't you see that I'm a woman? Shame on you Censored  Yes, this is the Western (Eastern) part you retard!", then I'm in the Western (Eastern) part [she's telling the truth]

Now that I think about it again North, maybe my answer is not so complete. What if she get's pissed and, after swearing at me, she won't tell me in which part I am? ErmmLOL

LOLLOL

Since I made a mess of this question to begin with, your explanation is as good as anyone - I'll buy it.

Omar had the initial question right, so lets see which one of you guys comes up with the next puzzle first.
Come to think of it - why dont you both post, and maybe Seko has a good one as well. Seems like I'm getting too old anyways...Embarrassed LOL

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 06:10
Here is mine:
You are in a room with 2 doors leading out. Behind 1 door is a coffer overflowing with jewels and gold, along with an exit. Behind the other door is an enormous, hungry lion that will pounce on anyone opening the door. You do not know which door leads to the treasure and exit, and which door leads to the lion. In the room you are in are 2 individuals. The first is a knight, who always tells the truth, and a knave, who always lies. Both of these individuals know what is behind each door. You do not know which individual is the knight, or which one is the knave. You may ask one of the individuals exactly 1 question. What should you ask in order to be certain that you will open the door with the coffer behind it, instead of the hungry lion?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 07:06
I know one too, but it is a bit corny perhaps, and very easy:

You are in a house. There is only one room in the house, and it is square. There is a window in each wall. There is a bed, a table and a chair in the room. There is an oillamp on the table, and a pillow on the bed. All windows in the house look south. Through one of the windows you can see a bear.

the question: What colour is the bear?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 07:13

Here is mine:
You are in a room with 2 doors leading out. Behind 1 door is a coffer overflowing with jewels and gold, along with an exit. Behind the other door is an enormous, hungry lion that will pounce on anyone opening the door. You do not know which door leads to the treasure and exit, and which door leads to the lion. In the room you are in are 2 individuals. The first is a knight, who always tells the truth, and a knave, who always lies. Both of these individuals know what is behind each door. You do not know which individual is the knight, or which one is the knave. You may ask one of the individuals exactly 1 question. What should you ask in order to be certain that you will open the door with the coffer behind it, instead of the hungry lion?

Oeps, wrote my solution here... I deleted it, so now I dont spoil it, I pm-ed you my answer...Tongue

Edited by Aelfgifu - 06-Sep-2006 at 07:21

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:05
Aelfgifu PM'd me with the right answer Clap

Anybody else wants to give it a try?

Edited by Neoptolemos - 06-Sep-2006 at 09:11
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 09:12
Northman also answered correctly, so I will let him or Aelfgifu post the answer here.
Gotta go now, see ya later!
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 10:59
I'll give you a nice riddle, that I've heard today.

An american spy tries to inflitrate a russian army camp,  so he hinds near the entrance of the camp and he listens carefully. Finally, one soldier approaches the gate, the guard says 12 and the soldier replies 6 and he got in safely, after some time another soldier aprroaches, the guard says 6 and the soldier replies 3 and he also gets in the camp without any problems.
The spy thought that he figure it out, so he wears a russian uniform and went to the gate, the guard told him 4, our spy replied 2, but then the guard killed him. How did the guard ''uncovered'' the spy?

Edited by Giannis - 08-Sep-2006 at 11:00
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 13:01

Here is mine:

Since Aelgifu is hibernating Sleepy, I'll post the answer to Neo's puzzle:

My question to either guy would be this:

"If I asked the other guy if the gold was behind door A, what would he answer?"

In case the gold really was behind door 1 - both guys would answer NO.
In case the gold was behind door 2 - both guys would answer YES.

I answered to Aelgifu's question by PM - but perhaps she is indisposed - haven't got an answer.

Giannis

If the spy was George Bush, he probably answered in english...

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 13:22
LOL I'll count your answer as half right North, because, I didn't give more details. Our spy speaks russian, and his as intelligent as the average peolple.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 06:11
Sorry Northman, I got a bit busy. You got it right, and so did neoptolemos.

The bear of course is white. As all windows look south, you are on the north pole.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>