Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Grey Cells - Exercise !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Grey Cells - Exercise !
    Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 13:34

ClapClapClapClapClap    Excellent   ClapClapClapClapClap

Originally posted by Seko

Let's say the guy in the back counts four Red hats and five White hats. He then, according to plan, says the color of either Red or White hats out loud. Red being even and White being odd. Prior to this the group is in on the method and know that they will be informed by the first guy. The trick is that guy only mentions the color of either even or odd number of hats. In this case he says 'Red' which he knows there are four of and the group knows they are, therefore, even numbered. Each POW looks infront of him and counts the number of 'Red' (even number) hats. The guy directly in front of the POW at the back of the line see's three Red hats. So he knows he has a red one too. Then he say's Red. The rest of the guys up also see the colors of various red and white hats and can figure out the rest from there. 

Bingo Seko - thats it!!
The only one in jeopardy 50/50, is the first guy (longest back) - but as the original post stated - they are willing to sacrifice to save the others.

All 10 are applauding you at the top - Good Work!

Par tradition - you're next to let US use the grey cells....

Edited by Northman - 29-Aug-2006 at 13:34
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 13:40
Oh man, that was hard work! Thanks again.

First I had it completley wrong, then I came up with a vocal accent (that can actually work) and eventually it came down to this.

Give me a few days. I'll look into a few mind teasers and see what I could come up with.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 13:59
Point for you, seko!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 14:16
I'll take that point after a few hits and misses!

Before I dig up some teasers at home later, maybe someone could start up a new one.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 06:01
Damn, I got here too late.  I did something similiar to this a couple of years back.  Good job coming up with it Northman! And kudos!!!! to..............SEKO!!!!!!!!  You can solve this problem using a simple algorithm. Smile

Edited by poirot - 30-Aug-2006 at 06:18
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 09:05
Northman and company,

I got one for you all. It's not as good as the POW camp thing but let's give it a go anyway.

Sir Daggers, The Archer, and Mister Musket are in a deadly shoot out to the end. They each take turns firing at each other until only one person is left. Sir Daggers, who hits his target 1/3 of the time, gets to go first. The Archer, who hits his shot 2/3 of the time, gets to shoot next, assuming he is still alive. Mr. Musket, who hits his shot all the time, shoots next, assuming he is still alive too. The cycle repeats. If you are Sir Daggers, where should you aim first for the highest chance of survival?

Edited by Seko - 31-Aug-2006 at 09:16
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 20:13

Northman and company,

I got one for you all. It's not as good as the POW camp thing but let's give it a go anyway.

Sir Daggers, The Archer, and Mister Musket are in a deadly shoot out to the end. They each take turns firing at each other until only one person is left. Sir Daggers, who hits his target 1/3 of the time, gets to go first. The Archer, who hits his shot 2/3 of the time, gets to shoot next, assuming he is still alive. Mr. Musket, who hits his shot all the time, shoots next, assuming he is still alive too. The cycle repeats. If you are Sir Daggers, where should you aim first for the highest chance of survival?

If I understand you correctly, they take ONE shot in turns, and if this is correct, then Sir Dagger should try to take Mr. Musket out.

If he instead kills The archer in first try, it will be Mr. Musket to shoot and since he hits 100% and he only has Sir Dagger left to shoot at, Sir Dagger will face certain death. So that wont work at all.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 20:24
Just saw this post. How's it going Northman?

Take one shot in turns, starting with the poorest shooter.

You have a strategy. Keep going.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 11:24

Just saw this post. How's it going Northman?

Take one shot in turns, starting with the poorest shooter.

You have a strategy. Keep going.

Well, what can I say - I'm not doing so well after a good nights sleep, since I realized my assumption from last night (2 am) was anything than flawless.
Morale... DONT follow your first assumption, and dont rush EmbarrassedLOL 

I made a chart, leading to a (at first glance) surprising conclusion and quite embarrasingly - the opposit from my first idea.

This Daggers guy would be best of shooting at the Archer first, but only if he makes sure not to hit anything... LOLLOLLOL

Overall, he has a 10 of 27 probability to win if he start shooting at the Archer - but only if he is missing!!
If I was him, I would make my first shot straight into the air and hope the bullet wouldnt harm anyone on its way down. Wink 

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 13:20
I need to commend you on this chart. I looked it over during lunch. You seemed to have covered all of the possibilities.

Certainly taking the first shot at either one has it's consequences.

Probability asides, when Sir Daggers misses on his first turn a varied chain of events unfold. 10/27 success by shooting at the Archer first and 5/27 if he tries to hit Mister Musket first.

!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Since all we are looking for is the highest chance of survival, Sir Daggers missing leads to The Archer having his shot. He could choose Sir Daggers or Mister Musket as his target. He (probably) would shoot at the one who would kill him the easiest given the chance and that is Mister Musket. If he missed then Mister Musket takes his turn and goes after the best marksman. So he shoots at The Archer and kills him. This leaves a chance and imminent final turn for Sir Daggers to have a go at winning. In effect it was best that he let the other two go at it first and take his chances at the end.

Edited by Seko - 01-Sep-2006 at 13:30
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 13:23
Your turn now Northman. Come up with a good one again.

I'll leave you with this parting teaser. It's a quicky and could be done in a few minutes.

What number is spelled alphabetically (English)?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 13:56
Ok - I'll put my thinking cap on, but anyone can jump in if they have a good one.
Feel free to participate everyone.....

By any chance....  FORTY?
I couldnt find any number with that feature - untill I realised I always spelled fourty wrongly.....   LOL

Thanks - another learning experience.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 14:02
Forty it is! Good going.

Once you count up to nine and notice that none of those numbers are possible you are left with numbers that do not have those digits in them. Since that eliminates a whole bunch, its good to start with ten, twenty, thirty, and eventually FORTY...

I'll be away from the computer for most of today. But will check back to see the latest.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 03:36
AE's own famous explorer Pingo, once was researching and exploring the intersting probability of finding Penguins in Outer Tibet.
Sadly, he was taken prisoner by the Horrible Snowman, Yeti, and had to use all his skills to escape from his captivity.
We know Pingo made it as he reported back not too long ago, that he had begun further studies at The University of Antarctica.
Could you have made it - and how?  

The Yeti gave him a chance to go free, if he could chose correctly 2 times, under certain conditions.

He was presented two doors and was told, that there was any combination of a Tiger and a Lady Penguin behind the doors. There could be Tigers or Lady Penguins behind both doors. On the other hand it was also possible, that there was a Tiger behind one door and a Lady Penguin behind the other.

There was a sign on each door:
DOOR I read:
IN THIS ROOM IS A LADY PENGUIN, AND IN THE OTHER ROOM IS A TIGER.
DOOR II read:
IN ONE OF THESE ROOMS IS A LADY PENGUIN AND IN ONE OF THESE ROOMS IS A TIGER

"Are these statements true?", Pingo asked the Yeti.
The reply was, "One is true, and one is false"

Which door would YOU chose, and why? (given the circumstance that you prefer Lady Penguins to tigers)

Pingo made it, and got a new girlfriend, Penguina, and they fell madly in love.
But to save them both, Pingo had to solve the next trial as well. (Penguina couldnt help, she was a blonde)

The Yeti lead them to two new doors, and these doors also had a sign each.
DOOR I read:
THERE IS A LADY PENGUIN IN ONE OR BOTH OF THESE ROOMS
DOOR II read:
THERE IS A TIGER IN THE OTHER ROOM

Pingo asked again, whether the statements were true.
"Both are true - or both are false" the Yeti said.

Again - which door would you chose, and why?

Please answer by PM - but post here when you do so.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 19:42
Hey Northman, I printed you teaser and will put some thought into it tonight. Hopefully I will have a response soon enough.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 09:03
Seko is almost half way - is he the only logical thinker here? Shocked Wink

Come on - its really not that hard guys (and gals)!

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 10:01
Well, I give it a try also, please inform me if I was wrong or right.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 11:38
Originally posted by Giannis

Well, I give it a try also, please inform me if I was wrong or right.

I have answered your PM. Your answer is correct, but the deduction isnt quite clear. Express it a bit different please.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 18:40
I think I've got it. PMing you.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 18:54
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I think I've got it. PMing you.

Congrats Omar - well done!! Clap Clap Clap

I will post the answer tomorrow evening (GMT) when everyone have had a chance to answer again.

Your turn Omar Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>