Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

% of population in ancient/classical-time military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: % of population in ancient/classical-time military
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 18:40

I was wondering about what percentage of the population were in the military around 100-0 BC? Did this include slaves or not?

Also, did they have trebuchets back around 200-100 BC?

Readon I'm is that I play a game called NationStates (www.nationstates.net) a text-based RPing game. Basicly, you run a country, do everything a leader would do, etc... anyway, they've got a new part out called "Earth BC", which is based on the time around when Rome was growing... my nations pop is 31.27 million right now, and I was tryin to figure out a good size military compared to my pop. If anyone can help me out on that, let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by ViZion
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 19:17

It would really depend how civilised your country was. With civilisations it was really up to the socio/economic and the culteral and political systems. For example Sparta practically 100% of the men were warriors.

With primitive societies The West Stable Popultion Model III estimates 34.24% of males are definately too young to fight (0-14). 9.82% are probably too young (15-19). 12.87% are probably too old (50+) and the rest 43.08% (20-49) are available to fight.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 19:20
How about more civilized nations, such as the early Roman Republic?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 22:10

Generally speaking in an pre-industrial agricultural society about 10 percent of population can fight as part time soldiers.  But if army is permenant or standing army the story would be different.  Example of part time soldier army would be Greek hoplite where about 10 percent of citizen population served as part time soldier.  (Athen's population excluding slaves and foreigners were about 150,000, and they could assemble 13,000 troops.)

Stading army of civilized nation did not exceed 1~2 percent in most occasions.  Roman empire during the 1st century had estimated population of 60 million people.  And their professional standing army constituted about 300,000 to 400,000 troops.  Or about 0.5 to 0.67 percent of whole population served as full time soldiers.

Han empire who adopted universal military service had higher proportion of military compare to Roman empire during the same period.  For instance, in A.D. 1, Han empire had 0.5 percent to 2 percent of its population served in regular military.  Or about 288,357 to 11,534,280 men served in military whose population was 57,671,400. 

So empire with population of 30 million could have about 3 million troops, if empire only employs part-time soldier.  But empire with that much population does not rely much on part time soldiers.  So assuming that empire with population 30 million have standing army it could have some 200,000~600,000 troops depenging on which military system that empire adopted.  If that empire adopted universal military service where every men should serve in army for 2~3 years, about 2~3 percent of whole population would serve in military.  On the other hand, that empire depends on professional mercenary soldiers just as Roman empire, then about 1 percent of population would serve in military.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 02:07
Not the steppe which could mobilize 1/3 of its population for war. While the warring states kingdom could also mobilize a quarter when in time of absolute need.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 04:09
Hmm, alright, interesting... thanks guys!
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 06:15

Interesting post Chankgun, and a couple of observations:

Example of part time soldier army would be Greek hoplite where about 10 percent of citizen population served as part time soldier. (Athen's population excluding slaves and foreigners were about 150,000, and they could assemble 13,000 troops.)

Hmm. No, I am afraid this is rather inaccurate. Athens could field 12.000 14.000 hoplites (estimation) and a smaller number of lightly armed citizen, in the times of the Persian wars, when the population of Athens was about 45-50.000 people (slaves, women and children included). In the times just before the Peloponesian war, Athens (with a population of 150.000) could field around 28.000 hoplites, 1.200 cavalry and 34.000 lightly armed troops (archers, javelineers etc. - usually those would not be fielded as army but, being the poorer citizens, would serve as rowers in the massive fleet Athens deployed at the time). Citizen-based (part time, if you wish) armies are usually very large and thats something the western world forgotten after the early Roman Empire and remembered again only in the 17th century. And if we are talking about a city-state, mobilization is fast and effective, unlike a large nation of today with the huge logistic complexities.

Stading army of civilized nation did not exceed 1~2 percent in most occasions. Roman empire during the 1st century had estimated population of 60 million people. And their professional standing army constituted about 300,000 to 400,000 troops. Or about 0.5 to 0.67 percent of whole population served as full time soldiers.

The numbers are roughly correct: in the beginning of the 2nd century AD, Rome had a standing army (including the city garrisons) of about 480.000 men and a total population of 71 mi. people. The proportion is the same. But Republican Rome had in the times of the second Punic War a population of 280 to 300.000 men and a citizen army. So, it managed to lose more than 60.000 men in two battles against Hannibal (the casualties of Rome came close to 100.000 men but that included many allies) AND despite that still could field, after Cannae, their contribution to five legions (thats about 27.000 men - Roman legion at the time was about 10.000 men, but about 4-5.000 of them were attached allies, not Roman troops). So, 1/3 of the Roman population would be called in arms, in time of dire need. Thats about the same proportion the Greek city-states achieved in the 5th-4th century BC.

Edited by Romano Nero
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 09:54

"Hmm? No, I am afraid this is rather inaccurate. Athens could field 12.000 ?14.000 hoplites (estimation) and a smaller number of lightly armed citizen, in the times of the Persian wars, when the population of Athens was about 45-50.000 people (slaves, women and children included). In the times just before the Peloponesian war, Athens (with a population of 150.000) could field around 28.000 hoplites, 1.200 cavalry and 34.000 lightly armed troops (archers, javelineers etc"

At the outbreak of Pelopenisian War, the troop strength and population of major Greek states were as follow.

Battle Ready Hopelites

---------------------------------

Athens/Atica        13,000

Athenian Allies     10,000

Total         & nbsp;         23,000

Thebes/Boetian Confederacy  10-12,000

Sparta/Laconia       &nbs p;         &nbs p;    8-10,000

Peloponnesian Allies                20,000

Total         & nbsp;                              40,000

Population

Citizen Population    Slave Population    Total

------------------------------------------------------------ -------

Athens/Atica       150,000          ;     100,000          ;     250,000

Thebes/Boetian   100,000          ;       10,000               101,000

Sparta/Laconia      40,000&nbs p;         &nbs p;  250,000      &nb sp;        290,000

So in case of Athens. at the beggining of Peloponesian war.  about 9 percent of total population was hoplite (23,000 out of 250,000, and Thebes/Boetian confederacy had about 10 percent of total population as hoplite (10,000-12,000 out of 101,000) and Sparta/Laconia had about 3~4 percent of its total population served as hoplite (10-12,000 out of 290,000)  

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 10:13

"But Republican Rome had in the times of the second Punic War a population of 280 to 300.000 men and a citizen army. So, it managed to lose more than 60.000 men in two battles against Hannibal (the casualties of Rome came close to 100.000 men but that included many allies) AND despite that still could field, after Cannae, their contribution to five legions (thats about 27.000 men - Roman legion at the time was about 10.000 men, but about 4-5.000 of them were attached allies, not Roman troops). So, 1/3 of the Roman population would be called in arms, in time of dire need"

The population of Roman male citizen(citizens of city of Rome) on the outbreak of the second Punic war was 270,713.  And during the second Punic war that figure dropped to 237,108 male citizens.  If you add women, slave, and children population to this figure total Roman population (of the city of Rome) would be some 600,000 to 700,000. 

And about 100,000 troops were assembled against Hannible from Roman citizens throughout the second Punic war.  So, about 100,000 out of 600,000 to 700,000 population served in military.  Or about 15 percent of Roman population were mobilized for the second Punic war which is less than 1/3. 

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 11:09

"The numbers are roughly correct: in the beginning of the 2nd century AD, Rome had a standing army (including the city garrisons) of about 480.000 men and a total population of 71 mi. people"

The standing army was 350,000 and the population was more closer to 56 million.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 01:14

For a population of a little over 31 million, does this sound good?

10,000 Carroballistaeschemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

10,000 Onagers>>

10,000 Capped Rams>>

10,000 Catapult Triremes

5,000 Juggernauts

50,000 Cataphracts>>

50,000 Paladins>>

50,000 Scythe Chariots>>

40,000 Camel Riders>>

10,000 Hussars>>

65,000 Centurions>>

65,000 Long Swordsmans>>

50,000 Phalanxs

50,000 Teutonic Knights>>

50,000 Scutaris>>

If not, please help me out. Thanks!

Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 04:18

Chang, you are either making those numbers up as you proceed, or your sources are the most inaccurate crap Ive ever seen connected to the word history.

The Roman population (total population, not citizen) by 230 BC was indeed less than 300.000 people, nothing like your 600-700.000. Where did you find that from? The more extraordinary estimations about 150 years later (when we have better census data available 80 BC that is) talk about 400.000 population, some grow that up to 450.000. It came close to the 1 mi. mark after the mass migrations of the last BC years and the first century AD yet you seem to imply Rome had almost reached that mark before the punic wars?

Care to post your source???

My numbers on the Athenian demographics are extremely accurate and I would appreciate you wouldnt just throw around numbers that are extremely wrong and probably made up, either by you or by someone who hasnt the slightest idea about ancient Greece. Athens population never in the times we are talking about exceeded the 160.000 mark if you add up the whole of Attica, we could come up to a figure about 240.000 or so, but thats not Athens, its all the settlements of Attica (some of those were not even Athens allies).

The number of the Athenian allies is really ridiculous. 10.000?  Out of three dozens of middle and large city states, all they could come up with was 10 miserable thousand hoplites? Even the Sparta could field that number, when they used the perioikoi the Spartan alone, mind you.

I stand firm by my numbers, they are precise and your revisions are not even close to any realistic alternative suggested they are purely mythical.

Please check your source, its extremely inaccurate. EXTREMELY.

Edited by Romano Nero
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 10:39

My source on Greek population and number of Hoplite is

Victor Davis Hanson "The Wars of the Ancient Greeks"  p 228

I simply copied his figures.

And on Roman population during second Punic war

http://www.atrium-media.com/goldenthreads/punicwar2.htm

"Athens?population never in the times we are talking about exceeded the 160.000 mark ?if you add up the whole of Attica, we could come up to a figure about 240.000 or so, but thats not Athens, its all the settlements of Attica (some of those were not even Athens?allies"

If you read carefully on my figures on Athenian population, I wrote that population of Athen/Attica was 250,000.  Meaning that the population of Athens + population of Attica was 250,000.   Which is not that differnt from you presented as population of Athens + settlement of Attica of 240,000.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 14:58
Originally posted by changkun

My source on Greek population and number of Hoplite is

Victor Davis Hanson "The Wars of the Ancient Greeks"  p 228

I simply copied his figures.

V.D. Hanson is not excactly a valid historian (he is teaching at the US naval academy, that should give you a notion). Usually, I would say  he is a militarist who does history on the side. If you read some of his esteemed works, especially Autumn of war and Carnage and Culture, you'll understand what I am talking about. I wasn't aware he has written a book on the Pelo wars. His estimations on various occassions (especially concerning ancient history) are completely off mark. In our little example, his figures about the power of the Athenian and allies are a joke. A little example to show you what I mean:

Athens lost about 19.000 men in the Sicilian expedition only - 6 to 7.000 of them were hoplites. Despite that, more than 9.000 (hoplites) remained at home. The allies of Athens lost a similar number of hoplites as well.

And that was years after the plague that depopulated Athens (appr. casulaties: 1/4 to 1/3 of the total population of Athens).  

Care to fit the 13+10.000 theory within those bounds? Taking into account, of course, that while Athens had this large expedition force in Sicilia, they managed to wage small scale operations in the whole Aegean and Ionian area, maintain mid to large sized garissons in over 23 cities and forts, and kept a large body of hoplites in Athens for defense from the Peloponesian and Boeotean, in case they'd march against Athens once more.

The link about the Roman population does not work. I'll take your word that it is actually written there and I'd suggest you find an alternative source, because if it states that Rome had 700.000 people in 230 BC, it ain't worth much.

Edited by Romano Nero
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 15:29
"

The link about the Roman population does not work. I'll take your word that it is actually written there and I'd suggest you find an alternative source, because if it states that Rome had 700.000 people in 230 BC, it ain't worth much.

"

THis is what that site says

"

1) I would like to know the population of Rome (the city itself) during the >time Hannibal's army was in Italy.

Livy gives a number of census figures throughout his work as do numerous other folks and, the census of 234/3 lists there as being 270,713 Roman citizens -- this would be the adult males; when you add females, kiddies, and slaves (probably not numerous yet), you probably get a city of 3/4 of a million. Half way through the war with Hannibal, in 209/8, the number of citizens dropped to 237,108 (some manuscripts have 137,108, but that is too big a drop, even considering the damage Hannibal inflicted; probably a mistake by a scribe). More info on this sort of thing can be found in Brunt's *Italian Manpower*, although many of his figures are possibly a bit high for many scholars' liking.

"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 21:13
Originally posted by Romano Nero

Chang, you are either making those numbers up as you proceed, or your sources are the most inaccurate crap Ive ever seen connected to the word history.

The Roman population (total population, not citizen) by 230 BC was indeed less than 300.000 people, nothing like your 600-700.000. Where did you find that from? The more extraordinary estimations about 150 years later (when we have better census data available 80 BC that is) talk about 400.000 population, some grow that up to 450.000. It came close to the 1 mi. mark after the mass migrations of the last BC years and the first century AD yet you seem to imply Rome had almost reached that mark before the punic wars?

Care to post your source???

http://unx1.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/RomTab.html

This site puts number of Roman citizens of Military Age in 220 B.C. as 270,213 men and 214,000 men in 204 B.C. 

Since Roman citizenship was granted only on adult male, total Roman population would be higher than say number of Roman male citizens.  In pre-Industrial society about 1/3 of population was minor who is under age of 15.  That means that about 2/3 of whole population is adult.  And about half of those adult are females obviously.  Then, the number of adult male in pre industrial society is about 1/3 of whole population.

Then if Roman adult male was 270,213, and 214,000 during the second punic war, total population of Rome would be 3 times of that number.  Or the total Roman population would be about 800,000 in 220 B.C. and 650,000 in 202 B.C.   And if you add slave population to this figure Roman population would be higher than 700,000 at the least.  So the number of Romans(I am assuming Roman citizens lived Rome and its colonies?) including women, children and slaves would be close to 800,000 even if you exclude population of Roman allies and Latin states.   

Edited by changkun
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 23:27

Oh, goodness... yes, and Herodotus tells us that the Persian numberd 2.5 mi. people when marching against the Greeks... do you actually believe that number too?

As for the ancient Rome demographics, there is a grandeur disrepancy. Are you aware of Hong Kong? Big city, right? Extremely densely populated, right? With gazillions of extremely high buildings, right? The population density of Hong Kong is about 75.000 people/square kilometer.

Bear with me, will ya? The greatest expansion of  ancient Rome - and that was in 320 AD - was in the area of the 14 square kilometers roughly (see Homo). At 230 BC Rome seems to have been a bit above 1/2 of that size (that would make us 8 sq. kilometers).

If you do the math - 700.000 people (your figure) in 8  km2 = a population density much higher than that of that of todays Hong Kong.

Here is a rather scientific approach on the matter, by the rather valid scientific journal "Antiquity":

A population estimate can be made by combining lines of evidence (in a manner similar to recent research by, e.g., Blakely & Mathews 1990; Crown 1991; Kardulias 1992), including the ethnohistoric record of Rome, the archaeological evidence of well-preserved Roman urban sites and the densities of pre-industrial and modern cities. A house-by-house population count for Pompeii and Ostia (including reconstructions of unexcavated areas) produces a population density statistic applicable to Rome and leads to a population estimate of the order of half a million.

That is about Augustus times, mind you. Half a million people by Augustus times (and Augustus census of 28 BC seems to imply that the inhabitants of Rome are far above ...4 million people  - would you consider a 4 mi. city in ancient times? in 11-13 sq kilometers too?).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:24
Originally posted by ViZion

For a population of a little over 31 million, does this sound good?

10,000 Carroballistaeschemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

10,000 Onagers>>

10,000 Capped Rams>>

10,000 Catapult Triremes

5,000 Juggernauts

50,000 Cataphracts>>

50,000 Paladins>>

50,000 Scythe Chariots>>

40,000 Camel Riders>>

10,000 Hussars>>

65,000 Centurions>>

65,000 Long Swordsmans>>

50,000 Phalanxs

50,000 Teutonic Knights>>

50,000 Scutaris>>

If not, please help me out. Thanks!

bump... plz lemme know, thanks!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 07:45

I accept that Roman city population during the Punic War could not have been a 3/4 million.  What I am saying is that Roman people who is living inside and outside(including colonies) of the city of Rome could be as high as 800,000 given consensu figure.  Certainly not all of Roman citizens lived within the city of Rome. 

If we accept Mr. Nero's assertion that 1/3 of whole Roman population served as legionary during the war, that figure is rather too high.  Like I said before the number of adult male in pre industrial society is about 1/3 of whole population.  If Roman put 1/3 of its population into the army then does Rome put every bit of citizens including people who is over age of 60 into the army?  I doubt it.   In a pre industrial society percentage of population fit for military service, that is age of 18 to 60, is about 20~25 percent which is less than 1/3. 

Edited by changkun
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 08:06

Mr. Chankung finally came to his senses, so let's address the last point.

The exhaustion of the fighting-able male population during the punic wars (the second, actually) was such, that every familiae had 2 or 3 dead males at least. It was so thorough, that the 3 legions raised to aid in a - quite possible after Cannae - siege of Rome by Hannibal and his ragtag army, consisted of 17 and 18 year olds, of freed slaves and of gladiators. They run out of men, that is.

Yes, Rome had all men from 18 to 60 years under arms - that was the case with the classical world. And with that number, and a population of ~300K, they lost more than 60 thousand men in Cannea, Trebia and Trasimene. Yet, they had the resources to draft almost 30.000 more men in 5 legions.

Still, even if we include the 5.500 to 6.5000 ex slaves and gladiators, that leaves us with 22 to 24.000 Roman citizen (most of them youngsters). Do the math, once more: I'll take the lowest estimation: 22.000 + 60.000 = 82.000. So, yes, it wasn't 1/3 it was more like 25 to 30% of the total population. You say 20 to 25%? Fine. btw the 20-25% you admit is rather distant from the 10% you claimed on your first post... nice to see you coming around reality.

I wouldn't call that a huge disrepancy, so any further disagreement on that would be splitting hairs.

Edited by Romano Nero
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>