Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Music, of sorts....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Music, of sorts....
    Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 10:53

I thought I introduce you to my newest (not that new) musical passion ( till the next one). It's a strange one and one should possibly keep quiet about it, but nevermind.

It's medieval music that has been enriched ( if you want), with various degrees of success, by rock, electronic and techno elements, and it's big in Germany, with a whole subculture thriving on it.

The by far most successful and popular band of the Medieval scene is CORVUS CORAX, a kind of medieval Rammstein. Dressed up in weird and wonderful costumes, CORVUS CORAX performs original and self-composed medieval (sounding) music with an extensive range of medieval instruments ( bag-pipes, lutes, etc,), but occasionally incorporates electric guitars, electronic keyboards and full scale orchestras. On their website, in the KLANGTAVERNE, you can compose your own playlist of CORVUS CORAX songs.

Their newest project is CANTUS BURANUS, newly composed music, based on a collection of Medieval German songs in Latin, that Carl Orff had already set to music ( Carmina Burana). Go to MULTIMEDIA on their site, and watch a live video of one of their performances.

And then there is QNTAL, a band that combines medieval music with modern electronic sounds. The result are very atmospheric, ambiente sounds, with Middle High German and Latin lyrics, based on original material. Examples of QNTALS work are FLAMMA and ECCE GRATUM.

The members of QNTAL also pursue another project, HELIUM VOLA, that has gone a step further into electronics. Their music is still very similar to QNTAL, possibly a slight bit darker and moodier. Here is their best known song , OMNI MUNDI CREATURA, set for strange reasons to a Japanese Manga.

The members of QNTAL/HELIUM VOLA also form ESTAMPIE, a band that completely abstains from modern instruments, using exclusively authentic(well, re-built) medieval instruments to perform original material. They've published an excellent collection of Crusader songs, including the well-known PALAESTINA LIED, and the French CHANTERAI POR MON CORAGE. ( You can legally download a dozen of their songs from their website.)

Last but not least, there is E NOMINE, the most commercial of the lot. They have found a niche, setting Bible Texts and somewhat Gothic German lyrics to highly danceble techno-music. Live shows include dancing/ singing monks and nuns, dry-ice and all the other techno paraphernalia. Two prime examples of the industrial monks music are BLACK SUN and THE OMEN.

Edited by Komnenos - 17-Aug-2006 at 10:57
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 21:04
So, this is an old thread on what I call "folk-metal" - Corvus Corax etc. I used to post those on "What are you listening" thread but since there one finds all types of music it's hard to be followed, so this one would be good for that.

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Mar-2012 at 21:06
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 23:09
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 23:53
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2012 at 00:45
 Post Reply Post Reply