Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pashtun tribes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pashtun tribes
    Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 11:31
Originally posted by Vedam

OK let me get this straight, so now Pakistan is sometimes classed as part of the Middle EastLOL. I think you need do study some basic geography. Even Afganistan is not part of the Middle east.

Perhaps you should look up on the definition of the Middle East by the G8

How hard is it for you to understand, that even if India was never totally unified, Pakistan has always been closely connected with North India. When the Mughals had the 3 capitals of Lahore, Delhi, and Agra they were not thinking Lahore is in some foreign land, the "land of the ancient Pakistanis". It was one one nation

Under the Mughals North India was the same nation as current Pakistan, under the Archemids, Pakistan was a seperate nation to India, under Alexander, Pakistan was a seperate nation to India. In fact under most of its history Pakistan has been a seperate nation to India (slight overlaps into Punjab or Gujerat do not count as India imo). How hard is it to understand THAT?

Maybe you should do some research on the Grand trunk road started by the Mauryas and see where exactly it goes through.
You may also be interested to know that before partition there were 500,000 Hindus In Lahore, but the villages in the District were muslim, and with Delhi it was vice-versa. In other words Lahore was a Hindu city and Delhi a muslim.

Perhaps it was, perhaps it was not, you have provided no link. But it is widely known that Punjab was a Muslim majority state and  Hinduism was a minority religion there. So this talk of it being divided up was actually for the benefit of India..

Edited by TeldeInduz - 26-Oct-2006 at 11:34
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 11:53
Lahore was not a Hindu city. Not now not ever. It had a large Sikh population, but thats about all.
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 12:02
Originally posted by Sparten

Lahore was not a Hindu city. Not now not ever. It had a large Sikh population, but thats about all.

So tell me what do you think Punjab and Sind were before Islam and Sikhism, was it just Vacant. No one there?
These surnames Bhatti, Chauhan, Rana, Raja, Sial, Sethi they dont sound very muslim to me.

General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 18:19

So tell me what do you think Punjab and Sind were before Islam and Sikhism, was it just Vacant. No one there?
These surnames Bhatti, Chauhan, Rana, Raja, Sial, Sethi they dont sound very muslim to me.

It's pretty much known that Sind and Punjab were Buddhist and Vedic areas. Shiharus, Sahsi II. Some Hindus lived there, and some still do.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 01:45
The hindu population of pakistan in 47 was 30 % & yes Lahore had a  large no. of Sikhs, who are Indians.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 02:21
30 % in 1947. Sources please. And no Hiduvta ones kindly neutral ones, like UNHCR. The only place in Pakistan where you had hindus (and still do) in any large number was Sindh. Most of the refugees from Pakistan were Sikhs in the Punjab.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 04:23
Isn't the Indian portion of punjab something like 90% Sikh right now? If 30% of Pakistan was "hindu" and these hindus had to run across the border in 1947 then wouldnt some of them have ended up in Indian panjab?  The fact is I think less than 5 million hindus crossed over, I don't know the exact figures which means most of the rest didnt care about hindu religion. Either they were muslims already or they converted after partition. In either case they were not die hard religious fanatics by any means. 
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 05:12

30 % in 1947. Sources please. And no Hiduvta ones kindly neutral ones, like UNHCR. The only place in Pakistan where you had hindus (and still do) in any large number was Sindh. Most of the refugees from Pakistan were Sikhs in the Punjab.

First provide a UNHCR source for your claims ?
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 07:33
Originally posted by maqsad

Isn't the Indian portion of punjab something like 90% Sikh right now? If 30% of Pakistan was "hindu" and these hindus had to run across the border in 1947 then wouldnt some of them have ended up in Indian panjab?  The fact is I think less than 5 million hindus crossed over, I don't know the exact figures which means most of the rest didnt care about hindu religion. Either they were muslims already or they converted after partition. In either case they were not die hard religious fanatics by any means. 

Maqsad my family is from Delhi so what i tell you now is on good authority.
In punjab, jats (farmers) and Tharkans(carpenters) mostly converted to Sikhism and are mainly rural based, hindus were communities engaged in Commerce, so they are urban based.
After partition these merchant- business communities from Lahore, Rawalpindi, Multan would obviously not go villages in punjab like Sikh jats but head for the largest cities. After Lahore,  the obvious choice was Delhi. The end result is that before Partition Delhi was Muslim after partition it became Hindu Punjabi, believe me Delhi is full of Lahoris, Peshwaris and Multanis. Delhi is now 80% Hindu. 11% muslim and 6% sikh
There is a caste called Aroras who are a business community, with surnames such as Chopra, verma, sethi, ahuja, chadda. The whole of this caste is from Pakistan side and were rarely found in India before Partition, but now they are concentrated in Delhi , and they are one of the most prosperous communities.They all originate from the Multan area. They are sometimes called Bhapas and have the custom of cousin marriage.   
Hindus did not convert to Islam after Partion because they could not be bothered to leave as you have said, and they definitely did care about their religion. Delhi including satelite towns is nearly 20 million, that's where the Partition punjabi hindus are.  Think about it.....if 5 million hindus crossed over during parition as you yourself admitted.....then how many are there now with the population increasing 5 fold?  
Now Indian punjab is not 90% Sikh but 60% and in the urban cities it is 75% Hindu, whereas  the rural is 80% Sikh. Check the Indian census 2001 if you don't belive me. Thats 10 million out of 25 million.
Where my family originally are from is Himachal Pradesh, which use to be known as the punjab hills. This state  is the most hindu in India  at 98%. So that is another 6.5 million. 
I think this represents a good number of Hindu punjabis, that you thought were not numerous and to answer your question they did not end up in Punjab
If you interested 1 million sindhis also came over during partition but they obviously headed for Mumbai. There are said to around 7-8 million sindhis in India.    

Edited by Vedam - 27-Oct-2006 at 08:27
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 13:39
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

The hindu population of pakistan in 47 was 30 % & yes Lahore had a  large no. of Sikhs, who are Indians.

This is actually from a Hindutva website. It calls Pakistan current day Pakistan as well as Bangladesh. Bangladesh did have a high Hindu population. West Pakistan's Hindu population has always been very low. Read Mahabharata to find out why.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 27-Oct-2006 at 13:40
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:16

Originally posted by maqsad

Maqsad my family is from Delhi so what i tell you now is on good authority.
In punjab, jats (farmers) and Tharkans(carpenters) mostly converted to Sikhism and are mainly rural based, hindus were communities engaged in Commerce, so they are urban based.

You started quite a long essay with some clearly mentioned figures but you did not finish it up with figures and final calculations. So tell me what the population of west pakistan was before partition, what is 30% of that population and then tell me if they all moved to India or what happened to them .
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 14:29
Yes most of the Punjabi Hindus did go to India and New Delhi received by far the largest influx of refugees, as it is the capital. Prior to partition it was muslim city but inturn muslims left for Pakistan especially Karachi and lahore(including your president Musharraf who was from my area in Delhi). Between 1941 and 1951 the population of Delhi doubled, because of the Refugees - the punjabi hindus 
I dont know what the Hindu population of west punjab was before it went to Pakistan but in a book about partition i read that Lahore had 500,00 hindus before Partition and less than 1000 after.

Even now in Delhi matrimonials the families will say "from Rawalpindi, or Gujrat or Lahore" The refugee camps in Delhi turned into districts and now are very affluent areas.

Edited by Vedam - 28-Oct-2006 at 14:32
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 14:40

In the 1965 war there were officers on both sides who attacked there old hometowns.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 18:25

but in a book about partition i read that Lahore had 500,00 hindus before Partition and less than 1000 after.

Now if only u could prove it. I think most of the hindu population throughout punjab was from the trader class called Khatri(I think).
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 23:54

Yes most of the Punjabi Hindus did go to India and New Delhi received by far the largest influx of refugees, as it is the capital. Prior to partition it was muslim city but inturn muslims left for Pakistan especially Karachi and lahore(including your president Musharraf who was from my area in Delhi). Between 1941 and 1951 the population of Delhi doubled, because of the Refugees - the punjabi hindus 
I dont know what the Hindu population of west punjab was before it went to Pakistan but in a book about partition i read that Lahore had 500,00 hindus before Partition and less than 1000 after.

Even now in Delhi matrimonials the families will say "from Rawalpindi, or Gujrat or Lahore" The refugee camps in Delhi turned into districts and now are very affluent areas.

Once again you avoided the question. The assertion was that 1/3 of pakistan was hindu before parition so lets have some simple math. What was 1/3 of the population of west pakistan in 1947? How many millions? Since you all claim to be up on the history, the math and everything lets hear your version of everything right now quit sidestepping all the questions. If you make a claim then back it up, don't just run off into some irrelevent tangent.

Numbers!!!
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 03:49

Listen Maqsad you said if "there are so many Punjabi Hindus where are they, since Punjab is 90% sikh.... They must have converted to Islam and not cared about their religion during Partition"....WRONG WRONG WRONG.

And now you talk to me about CLAIMS and backing it up.Talk about misinformation.

You asked "where are the punjabi Hindus" so i told you TWICE that the punjabi Hindus, all mainly headed towards the big cities the main one being NEW DELHI, which has become a punjabi Hindu city. And that's where they are, they didn't dissapear off the face of the earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now with regards to me backing up the assertion that "Pakistan was 30% Hindu before partition and claiming to be up on History and maths"
Well get your FACTS straight, i dont even know what you are saying, I never made such a claim, as you can't have Pakistan before 1947, because it didn't exist. I think you probably mean West punjab pre-partition. And i NEVER said it was 30% Hindu.
Why should i provide numbers when i never gave you those STATS? Why should i have to back up something i never said.
I tell you what though- why don't you provide some numbers that India Punjab is  90% Sikh, since you are obviously up on history and maths, Why don't you actually back up your baseless comments? 

I never made any comments about the  PUNJABI Muslim population, YET YOU SEEM TO BE AN EXPERT on hindu punjabis  and Sikhs, in your own opinion that is, otherwise you would not have made such comments, that are totally off AND NUMBERS ARE TOTALLY WRONG. Do some research about Punjabi Hindus and their numbers before making any further comments. 

Edited by Vedam - 29-Oct-2006 at 09:07
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 10:59
Now if only u could prove it. I think most of the hindu population throughout punjab was from the trader class called Khatri(I think).

you are clever and right
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:48

Listen Maqsad you said if "there are so many Punjabi Hindus where are they, since Punjab is 90% sikh.... They must have converted to Islam and not cared about their religion during Partition"....WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I was addressing a claim made that 1/3 of pakistanis were hindus right before partition. I was debunking that claim.

And now you talk to me about CLAIMS and backing it up.Talk about misinformation.

Yes I am asking you or anyone else to back up the claim of hindus that 30% of west pakistan was hindu before partition.

You asked "where are the punjabi Hindus" so i told you TWICE that the punjabi Hindus, all mainly headed towards the big cities the main one being NEW DELHI, which has become a punjabi Hindu city. And that's where they are, they didn't dissapear off the face of the earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You seem to have had some comprehension problems. My question REALLY MEANT where are the 15 million punjabi hindus if they ever existed in that large amount. Don't you get it? I mean its so simple--the sarcasm and the challenge.

Now with regards to me backing up the assertion that "Pakistan was 30% Hindu before partition and claiming to be up on History and maths"
Well get your FACTS straight, i dont even know what you are saying, I never made such a claim, as you can't have Pakistan before 1947, because it didn't exist. I think you probably mean West punjab pre-partition. And i NEVER said it was 30% Hindu.

Well if you never said it then either deny its true or back it up, why are you whining about it so much? One of your fellow revivionists here made that claim if you bothered to actually read this thread then that should be very very clear to you!

Why should i provide numbers when i never gave you those STATS? Why should i have to back up something i never said.
I tell you what though- why don't you provide some numbers that India Punjab is  90% Sikh, since you are obviously up on history and maths, Why don't you actually back up your baseless comments?

I don't care if the population of sikhs in panjab is 60% or 75% or 90% so there is no reason for me to back it up. The fact is Indian govt was constantly changing the province boundaries of Haryana and Himachal Pradesh and Indian Panjab in response to Sikh panjabi sentiments but thats irrelevent because I am not making any claims about muslims "dissapearing" from Indian panjab but one of the Indians here was talking nonsense about 1/3 of West Pakistan being hindu before partition. Thats the issue! Not how many Sikhs are in India!

I never made any comments about the  PUNJABI Muslim population, YET YOU SEEM TO BE AN EXPERT on hindu punjabis  and Sikhs, in your own opinion that is, otherwise you would not have made such comments, that are totally off AND NUMBERS ARE TOTALLY WRONG. Do some research about Punjabi Hindus and their numbers before making any further comments. 

Just answer the simple question instead of going around in circles. Was 1/3 of west pakistani population hindu just before partition? If you answer yes then show me where those people went. If you answer no then its another nonsensical fairy tale made up by hindus. Its that simple. And don't side track on non issues to avoid the real topic.
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 17:28
I've read your comments and by your tone i realise i'm not gonna waste my time with someone who clearly believes in "them" and "us".
I was simply pointing out that Punjabi Hindus exist, after you casually dismissed them.
You are the one who came out with ridiculous statements and i answered them, i'm addressing your comments, but when you said "your fellow rivivionist" that explains what of person i'm dealing with. A nationalist.
You don't care if punjab is 60%, 70 or 90% sikh. well guess what "Maqsad" i don't care if pre-partition West punjab was 30%, 20% or 10% Hindu. Tell you what shall we say it was 0.000001% will that make you happy?  What difference does it make???? Theres 850million Hindus in India, and we have as many muslims as you do in your Pakistan, that you obvoiusly want to detach from India.
Goodbye 

Edited by Vedam - 30-Oct-2006 at 03:05
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 00:49

In the 1965 war there were officers on both sides who attacked there old hometowns.

And in the 1972 war, General Niazi of the Pak army surrendered to his classmate & earlier Hockey team captain General Arora of the Indian army with 90.000 brave pak soldiers after facing a devastating defeat in East Pakistan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>