Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who will set up the first colony on the moon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: it won’t happen in 50 yrs but it will happen.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [73.08%]
6 [23.08%]
1 [3.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who will set up the first colony on the moon?
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:04
comments?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:15
ESA.

Nah, a co-op is the most probable option, but if I had to choose one, it would be the Americans.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:29

China?

ESA probably

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:29

who knows what will happen after a century

it's however gotta be one of these countries

china is one of the three countries that can put men into space with its own technology.

europe, india, and japan however are not able to do that yet

by the end of the 22nd century, i can gaurantee u that china will be the largest economy (it's the second largest after usa now) and one of the richest country even on a per capita basis (china's population is expected to decrease to half of its current level in 2090)

Edited by coolstorm
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:40
Originally posted by coolstorm

who knows what will happen after a century

it's however gotta be one of these countries

Or the EU.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:47
Whoever it will be, they'd better make the earth liveable, instead of the moon or other planets.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:50
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Whoever it will be, they'd better make the earth liveable, instead of the moon or other planets.

That's what they told Columbus. Better stay here and develop the land, than make silly explorations or colonies.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:53
can't it go both ways? make the earth liveable and other planets as well.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 10:37
ESA has the know how, but lacks the political will to put money there, there again, Starsem (Soyuz) is half owned by a French company so...
Arrrgh!!"
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 12:24

NASA may have the will, but it lacks the capacity.

China lacks the technology.

Russia has the capacity,maybe the will, but not the money.

European Space Agency, is a profit making venture, it has the money and capacity, but not the will, unless the base could somehow be made profitable.

Japan similar to Europe wants profit, it also lacks the capacity.

So it would have an international effort. Only country likely to want to pay for it is the US, but they would need the Europeans and Russians to get them there.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 12:43
Originally posted by Paul

So it would have an international effort. Only country likely to want to pay for it is the US, but they would need the Europeans andRussians to get them there.

The Chinese do have the money and will, however lack in the technological field. That's something they can fix though, but with a lacking political will Europe and USA won't come far.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 13:48

I actually have a book written in the 70's (i think) that has said that using microwave radiation you could collect energy on the moon, process it and then beam it back down to earth for cheaper than current technology. Of course the book said no company would receive a profit for about 35 years. I'll check my book shelf at home but I think it was called "Colonies in Space".

It was actually quite a good read.

Oh and BTW I think an orbiting colony should be more feasible than a moon colony at this point in time.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 19:56

I voted for America, but I bet the first one will be an international space colony.

Member of IAEA
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 19:58
I bet none of them will, prehaps India to store its outa control population growth.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 00:24
All of the above?
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 02:32
perhaps the human race will have been destroyed in a nuclear conflict by then
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 06:10

Since Russia is out of the game and  although China has made an impressive progress in this field, USA are still way ahead.So....USA.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 03:42
I'd have to say the United states, as they already have a 40 year lead. China might set one up in the 40s, however, im sure that by the time india is capable  of doing this it won't really bother and leach of the american and chinese colonies
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 11:21
I didn't vote, because I think it will be a joint colonization.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 17:09
Do you think there will be wars in space as we begin to colonize it?  I say yes, just like there were wars when the New World was colonized.
Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>