Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Invincible Navy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Invincible Navy?
    Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 14:49
Yes, small ships with few cannon are called "sloops" in English.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 15:29
Sloops were the smallest ships commanded by captains.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 17:46
Originally posted by gcle2003

The ship that carried the most guns in this period was Spain's Santissima Trinidad, which was the only four-decked[1] battle ship in the world, and carried either 130 or 136 guns (sources vary:she probably carried slightly different numbers at different times.

She was captured at Trafalgar, but sank in the storm that followed.

[1] I.e. four gun decks.

do you have information on the Russian Blagodat? it had the same number of guns as the Santissima Trinidad and i suspect it was a sister ship of the ST bought by the Czar from Spain or so. if not it is still the largest three-decker of the Nap Wars.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 05:46
Originally posted by Temujin

The ship that carried the most guns in this period was Spain's Santissima Trinidad, which was the only four-decked[1] battle ship in the world, and carried either 130 or 136 guns (sources vary:she probably carried slightly different numbers at different times.

She was captured at Trafalgar, but sank in the storm that followed.

[1] I.e. four gun decks.

do you have information on the Russian Blagodat? it had the same number of guns as the Santissima Trinidad and i suspect it was a sister ship of the ST bought by the Czar from Spain or so. if not it is still the largest three-decker of the Nap Wars.

No I don't know of her. Santissima Trinidad is always quoted as the most heavily gunned ship of her era, though she wasn't the biggest: there were some French first-rates with greater tonnage.

I doubt there was a sister ship. Santissima Trinidad was built as a three-decker (in Cuba by an Irish shipwright as it happens), and later had the fourth deck added by connecting her fore and after-castles. The idea didn't work too well from the point of view of her sailing qualities, so I don't think it was ever tried again.

What I mean there is I doubt the idea of converting a three-decker to a four-decker was tried again. Any subsequent ship of her size and guns wold probably have been designed that way from the start. 

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Aug-2006 at 05:48
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 05:52
Originally posted by Mosquito

Sloops were the smallest ships commanded by captains.
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Yes, small ships with few cannon are called "sloops" in English.

Both correct. John Paul Jones' two small vessels may have been sloops (if three-masted, since they certainly weren't commanded by captains) or brigs (if two-masted). Or something else in the way of a small vessel since several of them would be capable of carrying 12 guns.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 07:15

Agreed. However, I don't know why 74 guns were common and as far as I know 72-gun and 76-gun ships never existed. 

They did exist, they were just not as common. It's probably just an arbitrary tradition thing. If someone builds one 74-gun ship, he's more likely to have the same amount of gun on his next  ship.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 18:40
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

They did exist, they were just not as common. It's probably just an arbitrary traditionthing. If someone builds one 74-gun ship,he's more likely to have the same amount of gun on his next ship.

Its not that simple. Ship effectiveness to its design is the factor of how many guns it has. The French 74 was a two deck ship that had very good balance between sailing abilities and firepower. It was a very large 2 decker that could carry 36 pounders, something only the taller 3 deckers could do in the past. Cannons arent something you can just add and take off without some sort of consequence. The 74 gun ship presented one of the best balanced ship design of its time without causing the wood to flex and sag over time.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 13:30
I think we agree with all that.

It's still odd - on the face of it - that 74 was so common (in all the western navies) rather than 76 or 72 which wouldn't have made much difference to the things you mention. After all, frigates come in just about every possible size from 24 to 44, maybe more.

I wonder sometimes if they weren't just generically referred to as '74s' even if that wasn't actually the number of (broadside) guns they carried.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 16:08
74 broadside. Twenty-eight 32- or 36-pound guns on the lower gun deck, thirty 18-pounders on the upper gun deck, and sixteen 9-pounders. Some spanish boats were like this 28 24-pound 30 18-pound, 8 12-pound, and 8 8-pound. I imagine every navy had different size guns depending on their budget. But the ship design was 74 guns. The french designed it and felt it was the best overall. Not 72, 76 or even 80. If you look at the ships you'll see they are jam packed with guns.

I missread your post. Yeah I bet there were times they would call it a 74 gun just because of design even if it had less then the maximum cannon on board.

As to your topic I think there were some times that the French navy could stand up and have a chance to beat the British navy. There were however alot more other times when they couldnt even touch the British navy. Invincible is a bit heavy a word to use though. There was no question they were the best of its time. And sometimes very far ahead of its oponants.

Edited by Gundamor - 26-Aug-2006 at 17:22
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 20:11
Not always the ships with bigger guns were victorious against smaller ships.
Sometimes frigates could have even win in combat with ship of the line with 74 canons. There were such events. When the waves were high the ships of line couldnt use its lower gun deck.

Edited by Mosquito - 27-Aug-2006 at 06:15
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 02:59
I think that weather conditions are extremely important, like the wind, waves and such things. I bet the frigates were usually speedier and easier to manouver.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 15:18
One on One and fleet movements is something totally different. A frigate isnt much in a fleet formation compared to heavier gunned ships. Also a good captain in a one on one would know the limits of his ship and wouldnt play to any advantages of the other ship. Frigates wouldnt challenge a ship of the line unless the situation was perfect and even then it was risky. Even if it loses the bottom 30 guns it still has 44 guns and is a big ship and can take alot more damage.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 05:39
Originally posted by rider

I think that weather conditions are extremely important, like the wind, waves and such things. I bet the frigates were usually speedier and easier to manouver.

The maximum speed of a ship depends on its waterline length, so a line-of-battle ship - with sufficient wind astern or on the quarter - was faster than a frigate.

However, yes a frigate would be more manouvrable, and probably better able to sail beating into the wind. The important determining meterological factor would usually be the strength of the wind and the 'wind gauge' - which ship was to windward - because a frigate to windward of a battle ship could usually escape, whereas a frigate to leeward would be in trouble.

Even more critical however was the rate and accuracy with which the guns were fired.

Edited by gcle2003 - 28-Aug-2006 at 05:40
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 09:37

Even more critical however was the rate and accuracy with which the guns were fired.

So what was the rate apporximately? 1 and a half minutes between volleys?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by rider

So what was the rate apporximately? 1 and a half minutes between volleys?

The poor crew could fire twice in 6 minutes while good crew even 3 times in 5 minutes.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 22:46
Originally posted by Mosquito

Not always the ships with bigger guns were victorious against smaller ships.

Sometimes frigates could have even win in combat with ship of the line with 74 canons. There were such events. When the waves were high the ships of line couldnt use its lower gun deck.

I just finished "Ship of the Line" by Brian Lavery. The only recorded instance I could find was the 74 gun French Droite Du Homme sunk by Sir Edward Pellew the only case on record of a 74 being attacked and sunk by a frigate. Though I think this was in a specific timeframe basically most of the 18th century. I was kind of surprised to see only that one as I also read the British felt they could take on anything with up 50% more superior firepower with success.

It was a good book and a little bit on the British biased of things but hey they were the masters of the sea so cant go wrong from their point of view to much. It also showed the skill of British naval architects and the fact they disliked using any foreign designs. Most of the French ships they captured were actually poorly maintained and usually had to be gunned down because the wear and tear on the haul was so bad. British designers seemed to be just another reason why the British were so dominant on the seas. They took alot of pride in there ships and in building them.

I was kind of wrong with the 74 gun thing apparantly there was alot of bickering between the admiralty and architects. The admiralty wanted a 74 gun ship like the French had while the architects wanted to keep using the 80 gun triple deckers saying it was better. The comprimise was doing away with the 80 gun boats and the architects pretty much added 4 guns to 70 gun ship designs in progress to please the admiralty. Eventually later on they designed many different types of 74 gun ships under various British hull designs. 64 gun ships were quite frequent in the British and other European navies as well as they were quite cheaper then their 74 gun ship sisters. Thomas Slade kind of standardized British ship building with the main four 100,90,74,64gun ships being the standard builds for most ship of the lines during his time as naval surveyor.

Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 07:55

Powerful and strong but not invincible. For example in 1797 Nelson was defeated in Tenerife (Spain) and he lost his arm in this episode. And some years before the Seven Years war, in the Jenkins Ear War, the greatest navy (186 ships, 60 more than the Spanish Armada invincible) ever been, commanded by Vernon was defeated in Castagena de Indias (Colombia) by Spanish defenders led by Blas de Lezo.

I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 08:02
What would be the position of the Brit navy today ? Will they be able to beat the Chinese ?
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 09:14
I honestly don't know.

My guess would be that they still could at sea, but that wouldn't be true for much longer.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 09:33
Originally posted by Barbarroja

Powerful and strong but not invincible. For example in 1797 Nelson was defeated in Tenerife (Spain) and he lost his arm in this episode.

That defeat however was of an expeditionary force on land.
And some years before the Seven Years war, in the Jenkins Ear War, the greatest navy (186 ships, 60 more than the Spanish Armada invincible) ever been, commanded by Vernon was defeated in Castagena de Indias (Colombia) by Spanish defenders led by Blas de Lezo.

That was also defeat in an assault on land. Moreover I deliberately chose the Seven Years War as the starting point because that was when the aura of invincibility started.

But I don't know where you get the 186 ships and the 'greatest navy ever' from.

In January 1741 Vernon had 15 third-rates, 19 fourth-rates, 9 frigates and 17 minor vessels, and when he left the Caribbean in October 1742 he handed over 19 ships of the line to his successor. Obviously there were other troop transports involved since the Cartagena operation involved an expeditionary force of 8,000 soldiers, and how many of those were used I don't know.

But 186 fighting ships is out of the question. The entire Royal Navy in 1741 had only 178 vessels of all types, most of them in home waters, and only 97 fifth-rates (frigates) and better. (Source for data, Schomberg's Naval Chronicle, 1802)

Edited by gcle2003 - 14-Sep-2006 at 09:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>