Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Invincible Navy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Invincible Navy?
    Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 06:23
From the Seven Years war to 1815, was the Royal Navy as invincible as is frequently alleged?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 07:41

Mostly yes, but it lost the most important battle of the American Revolution, the Battle of the Chesapeake.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 08:33
Yes, Sparten, and let us not forget when a Scotsman by the name of John Paul Jones beat the British ship the Serapis with the American ship Bon Homme Richard. This American victory was on British seas, making it even more humiliating.

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa - 15-Aug-2006 at 16:03

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 15:26
it was superior, but of course not invincible.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 18:12
Second Temujin. Nothing is invincible, I am sure some ships were destroyed by everyone, some by natural causes.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 21:14
It did indeed appear very strong, but had invincibility been the case the British should have had the ability to block the French from assisting the American rebels.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 06:08
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Yes, Sparten, and let us not forget when a Scotsman by the name of John Paul Jones beat the British ship the Serapis with the American ship Bon Homme Richard. This American victory was on British seas, making it even more humiliating.

It's worth noting that at Flamborough Head, Jones had under his command five ships: Bonhomme Richard (42 guns), Alliance (32), Pallas (32), Vengeance (12) and Le Cerf (12).

The British had only two: Serapis (44) and Countess of Scarborough (22). That's a ratio of about 2:1 in guns, though since Vengeance and Le Cerf went after the merchantmen Jones was trying to capture, the actual battle was 'only' 106:66.

Even so, Jones nearly lost his ship, and the British ships saved the convoy he was trying to attack.

PS: Vengeance and Le Cerf may not have been ships, strictly speaking. I haven't been able to find out.

Edited by gcle2003 - 16-Aug-2006 at 06:14
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 09:35

Although they sound like ships, the number of guns makes me think they were rafts.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 09:24
Originally posted by rider

Although they sound like ships, the number of guns makes me think they were rafts.

Big smile

At the time, a 'first-rate' line-of-battle ship carried over 100 guns.

Ships were classified as
line-of-battle
first-rate     100 guns or over
second-rate 90..98 guns
third-rate     64..80

older ships, sometimes used in the line
fourth-rate   50..60

frigates
fifth-rate      30..48
sixth-rate     22..28

sloops          10..18

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 12:45
So if three cannons somehow got lost it was not anything, and it WAS a raft?

Very educating, gcle. Thanks for pointing it out. What ships had the most cannons?

Is it correct that 72 cannon ships were common?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 15:12
this ratign existed only in England however and classification could vary in other countries....
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 01:15
It was pretty much undefeated from the Seven Years War until the dreadnought races at the beginning of WWI, and they did pretty well at those, too. The English navy was always strong, since Alfred, but the 18th and 19th centuries were its high point. As for its loss in the American war, that was only because it was more bothered with France to care about the colonies Wink Had they been unencumbered with European wars, there is no doubt they would have crushed the American independence movement just as heartlessly as the Ottomans crushed Greece Wink

Edited by Timotheus - 18-Aug-2006 at 01:15
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 05:24

Very educating, gcle. Thanks for pointing it out. What ships had the most cannons?

Is it correct that 72 cannon ships were common?

In general, at least in the western European navies in 1750-1815 or so, the commonest line-of-battle ship was the two-decked 74-gun ship. (Why 74 was preferred to 72 or 76 I have no idea.)

The ship that carried the most guns in this period was Spain's Santissima Trinidad, which was the only four-decked[1] battle ship in the world, and carried either 130 or 136 guns (sources vary:she probably carried slightly different numbers at different times.

She was captured at Trafalgar, but sank in the storm that followed.

[1] I.e. four gun decks.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 05:27

The reason a two ecker was preferred was since it was cheaper than building a 100 gun ship. Also In a three decker the bottom deck would often be uselss in rough or even slighty turbulent seas.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 05:39
Originally posted by Sparten

The reason a two ecker was preferred was since it was cheaper than building a 100 gun ship. Also In a three decker the bottom deck would often be uselss in rough or even slighty turbulent seas.

Agreed. However, I don't know why 74 guns were common and as far as I know 72-gun and 76-gun ships never existed.

I guess it has something to do with them all being built to the same plan, but why the original plan had 74 guns I can't guess. Just coincidence?

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 11:35
Maybe because 74 is the correct number for two decks and frontside cannons? If they had frontside cannons, which some had I think?

Weren't also two-deckers speedier than others?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 04:35

Rider, sorry, but I only just realised your comment was probably responding to my statement that, properly speaking, Jones' two smaller vessels may not have been 'ships'.

'Ship' properly refers to a three-masted square-rigged vessel. With only 12 guns each it seems likely that Vengeance and Le Cerf were probably 'brigs' - i.e. two-masted.

(There are other kinds of two-masted vessels apart from brigs but I won't go into all of them.)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 05:48
Originally posted by gcle2003

Agreed. However, I don't know why 74 guns were common and as far as I know 72-gun and 76-gun ships never existed.

I guess it has something to do with them all being built to the same plan, but why the original plan had 74 guns I can't guess. Just coincidence?

Standardization?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 07:11

Standardization?

Standardisation accounts for there being so many the same, but not for why the standard was 74.

I did a little reading, mainly in Rodger's Command of the Ocean, and it appears that the first two-deck 74s were in fact laid down in France when the comte de Maurepas was French naval minister. The British were so impressed with the Invincible which was captured at Finisterre in 1747 that an Admiralty committe was set up to introduce the design in Britain.

So the answer to the question 'why 74?' lies somewhere in France, not in Britain Smile.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 10:40

Rider, sorry, but I only just realised your comment was probably responding to my statement that, properly speaking, Jones' two smaller vessels may not have been 'ships'.

'Ship' properly refers to a three-masted square-rigged vessel. With only 12 guns each it seems likely that Vengeance and Le Cerf were probably 'brigs' - i.e. two-masted.

(There are other kinds of two-masted vessels apart from brigs but I won't go into all of them.)

Oh, very well. A brig then.

Were such things as 'sloops' too use in warfare? If the English language uses the word sloop. Or yachts then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>