Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Books and more books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books and more books
    Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 10:35
I am not sure if this topic already exists but  as in other forums, I found a discussion of various books is really interesting and helpful.   And what is worse has increased the number of books I haveLOL

What I propose is the following:

List a book  -  Title and author

Why you recommend the book or not.

And comments by others who have read the book.

And civility while discussing, agreeing or disagreeing.Smile

To start off

I have found a series of books published by the Oxford University Press called 'A Very Short Introduction'. Each book is an introduction of the subject and written various people in each field

So far I have read  'The Celts' by Barry Cunliffe.  I found it very informative and should Iwish to pursue the topic, a nice bibiograpy at the end.

The next book I am going to read is 'The Crusades'.   If the previous book is anthing to go by, then I will enjoy enjoy this book as well. 

Edited by annechka - 13-Aug-2006 at 10:37
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 15:50
Sounds good, I too have read "The Ancient Celts" (this is the full title) by Barry Cunliffe as part of a Celtic civilization course at uni, it's informative, comprehensive and has lots of pictures.

As for your "The Crusades", that's hardly a unique title, so you should probably add the name of the author. It seems to me you're implying Cunliffe wrote it (or?), but I can't imagine him having written books on that subject.
annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 21:39
The actual title is The Celts: A very Brief Introduction
All the books have  the words - a very brief introduction in the title.
this book The Celts is by Cunliffe but very abbreviated content not his full lenght history.  These book are more to wet your appetitte for the subject. 

Each book in the series is by an author who is known for her/his knowledge in the area...I hope this clariefies the purpose of this series. 
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 08:42
There is already such a thread in the modern culture sub...
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 19:14

"The next book I am going to read is 'The Crusades'.   If the previous book is anthing to go by, then I will enjoy enjoy this book as well" 

..i have 'A Very Short Introduction to the Crusades' by Christopher Tyerman, a well-renowned historian on the crusading era....these books are great and are often my first port of call when i am looking into new subjects, they are an excellent starting point before moving on into more intricate works...

......however, one of the most difficult books i have ever persevered with is 'The Crusades' by Hans Eberhard Mayer, he certainly made me sweat a bit whilst reading this book!!!!!!Ouch....

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 16-Aug-2006 at 19:15
annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 21:59
Marharbbal, help I found that thread then lost it.

Act of Oblivion.:
I finished the book on the crusades.  It was such a good concise discussion of the crusades.  I like his logic.
 Post Reply Post Reply