Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women and Birth Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women and Birth Control
    Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 23:02
   Before condoms, I.U.D., and other modern methods of contraception, the women of the ancient world had their own ways of limiting and/or preventing pregnancy. For thousands of years, in one form or another, contraceptives have been used throughout human history and even in societies dominated by social, political and religious codes.

The stone age people had no idea where babies came from. Some thought that the spirits of children lived in certain fruits, and that pregnancy was caused by eating the fruit. Others held the sun, rain, wind, moon, or stars responsible for causing pregnancy. Pregnancy was a magical event. Abstinence never occurred to those who believed that reproduction was magic.

But, for ancient women, who understood the connection between vaginal intercourse and reproduction, abstinence was very important. In many cultures, after the time of their first menstruation (menarche), women were expected to practice abstinence so that their future husbands could be sure of the paternity of their children. The driving force behind mens need for virgin brides (and for keeping women outside of public life) has been to assure their paternity.

Here are some of the birth control methods used in ancient times:

Egyptian women used vaginal suppositories pessary , made out of crocodile dung and lubricated with honey or oil as spermicides.

In ancient China, women terminated pregnancies by drinking hot mercury (or lead) the day after sex, which, unfortunately, sometimes led to sterility or death.

In ancient Persia, the women used sponges soaked in alcohol as primitive contraceptive methods.

The idea for the I.U.D., used by the modern woman, was originated by Arabian camel herders who discovered that inserting a stone in a female camels genitalia would keep them from getting pregnant.

A common contraceptive/abortafacients used in ancient Mediterranean was a plant called, Silphium, exclusively grown in North Africa. Other plants used in classical times were pennyroyal (grows in the wild), artemisia, myrrh and rue.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control#History_of_birth_control
Erica Orloff and JoAnn Baker co-authors of Dirty Little Secret.
http://www.epigee.org/guide/
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/library/historical/artifacts/antiqua/gynecology.cfm
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 14:12
i dont knw wht to response for this topic.. but i have something to share...
for malays... they believe by eating pineapple.. it can avoid from getting pregnant... even for those virgins.. if their period is late.. they'll eat pineapple so.. it will come faster....

i dont knw.. how far the truth is...

Edited by cahaya - 13-Aug-2006 at 14:13
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 14:32
In Bosnia we have a birth control device known as the "Father". If a young woman is seen with a young man, or even if rumors exist that suggest that has been seen at some time by some one with a young man, the "Father" activates. Though it is not directly involved in birth control, the "Father" will generally board up the young woman's bedroom window, beat the door knob from her bedroom door, and keep her locked up until such time as it is certain the girl is not already pregnant. The young lady also has a built-in defense mechanism called the "Mother" which will, during this time, gradually wear down the "Father's" initial response.

This generally goes on for several months until "Neighbors" or, in modern times, even "The Police" start asking questions. The young woman is expected at all times to keep her "Father's" methods of birth control a family secret. The "Father" can be discarded, though not without some difficulty. For rural Bosnian women, they can escape the "Father" in the "Large Urban Centers". For urban Bosnian women, they can escape the "Father" by eloping.

By taking this extraordinary measure, young women can ensure themselves a life without the "Father", in any sense, including the birth control methods it provides.

Modern times have seen this method of birth control largely replaced with new technologies and contraceptives, however the "Father" is still common enough that most major cities in the country have special task forces whose job it is to locate such young women and remove them from the "Father".
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 14:54
Originally posted by Mila

In Bosnia we have a birth control device known as the "Father". If a young woman is seen with a young man, or even if rumors exist that suggest that has been seen at some time by some one with a young man, the "Father" activates. Though it is not directly involved in birth control, the "Father" will generally board up the young woman's bedroom window, beat the door knob from her bedroom door, and keep her locked up until such time as it is certain the girl is not already pregnant. The young lady also has a built-in defense mechanism called the "Mother" which will, during this time, gradually wear down the "Father's" initial response.

This generally goes on for several months until "Neighbors" or, in modern times, even "The Police" start asking questions. The young woman is expected at all times to keep her "Father's" methods of birth control a family secret. The "Father" can be discarded, though not without some difficulty. For rural Bosnian women, they can escape the "Father" in the "Large Urban Centers". For urban Bosnian women, they can escape the "Father" by eloping.

By taking this extraordinary measure, young women can ensure themselves a life without the "Father", in any sense, including the birth control methods it provides.

Modern times have seen this method of birth control largely replaced with new technologies and contraceptives, however the "Father" is still common enough that most major cities in the country have special task forces whose job it is to locate such young women and remove them from the "Father".

OMG! ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

That was HILARIOUSSSSSS! I'm stilll LMFAOOOOOOOO!

Mila, you forgot the other contraceptive methods, i.e. the "ELDER BROTHER", the "UNCLE", and the "OVERPROTECTIVE MALE COUSIN"Ouch

This reminds me of freshman year at college when my friend Narine's sister started dating this guy named Abeed, and as soon as her brothers Mohammed and Sohail found out, they went to Abeed's house, knocked on the door, his mother answers, they politely said, "Salaam" and asked if Abeed could come outside, Abeed's mother yells at him to come meet his "friends", and Mo' and Sohail beat the crap out of him infront of his mother, they then tell her that he has one week to do "nikaa" with their sister.

Poor Abeed.Ouch He was crying at his own wedding.Cry

And poor Narine. No guy ever tried talking to her again.Dead

Edited by Master_Blaster - 13-Aug-2006 at 15:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 15:05
a tragic story... anyway... in malay.. for a wife if they wanted to avoid unplanned pregnancy... if they sense tht their period is past the due.. they will go for massage... dont ask me wht kind of massage is that. cos my cousin have done that.. she kinda freak out that she might get pregnant after gave birth to a twin... LOL
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 19:49

A tragic story? What gives you that impression?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 02:18
beaten up... warned by bro in laws to be.. crying on his own wedding day... tht's the impression... maybe for others nothing.. but..  i dont think it's a good thing about warning and beating someone to marry your sis... it wont give any good
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 07:33
Originally posted by morticia

The stone age people had no idea where babies came from. Some thought that the spirits of children lived in certain fruits, and that pregnancy was caused by eating the fruit. Others held the sun, rain, wind, moon, or stars responsible for causing pregnancy. Pregnancy was a magical event. Abstinence never occurred to those who believed that reproduction was magic.

How is it possible that it is known what stone age people thought about the causes of pregnancy? I mean, they didn't leave any written sources telling what they thing about it.
annechka View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote annechka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 10:08
Although Mila's story of Bosnian birth control seems humourous at first,  it is like MasterBlaster's sad and telling. 
What is missing is the woman's right to say yes or NO.  Remember the woman has the right to say NO as well.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 10:30
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by morticia

The stone age people had no idea where babies
came from. Some thought that the spirits of children lived in certain
fruits, and that pregnancy was caused by eating the fruit. Others held
the sun, rain, wind, moon, or stars responsible for causing pregnancy.
Pregnancy was a magical event. Abstinence never occurred to those who
believed that reproduction was magic.

How is it possible that it is known what stone age people thought about
the causes of pregnancy? I mean, they didn't leave any written sources
telling what they thing about it.

I'll find a source for you, Mixcoatl. Jean Auel (author) has done extensive research on the topic and I believe I read that in one of her books. She wrote "Clan of the Cave Bears", The Mammoth Hunter, and several other books on the matter of the stone age, cavemen, etcetera.       
"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 10:40
Mila! I, too, was on the floor laughing at your initial response!      I can very well relate to that, being the only female in a brood of nine, and I know perfectly well how the "Father" and "Brothers" contraption works.   

"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 12:58
to tell the truth... i dont understand much about wht Mila said on her first reply Embarrassed
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by cahaya

to tell the truth... i dont understand much about wht Mila said on her first reply [IMG]height=17 alt=Embarrassed src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Don't worry, Cahaya.    Mila was just being facetious!

As regards the pineapple, there is no one in the world that eats more pineapples than I do. It's one of my favorite fruits (I grow them in my backyard)that I eat and cook with almost every day, and it certainly did not stop me from having three children! So, there goes that theory!    
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 15:38
lol @ morty
i dont understand how western women do it...
In our region.. wht i can see from my sister and sis in law experience.. when they born a child... they will be so cautious about their health and all.. like... must not step on cold floor.. wear socks all the time.. they have to be like that for 44 days... take some traditional remedies and all...
wht about u morty? how u guys deal with after birth?
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 14:11
Originally posted by cahaya

lol @ morty
i dont understand how western women do it...

In our region.. wht i can see from my sister and sis in law experience.. when they born a child... they will be so cautious about their health and all.. like... must not step on cold floor.. wear socks all the time.. they have to be like that for 44 days... take some traditional remedies and all...

wht about u morty? how u guys deal with after birth?

Cahaya, that's "old wives tales" about staying indoors for 44 days, no bare feet on the floor, don't take the baby outdoors for 30 days, no washing your hair for 10 days so you don't catch a cold, etcetera. There is no scientific evidence that doing any of that will prevent you from getting ill. Most western women, myself included, have their babies in hospital rooms called "birthing rooms" where women are attended by a OB-GYN (obstetrician - some even have midwives)and after the baby is born and, barring any complications, leave the next day. I gave birth to my baby and left the hospital 13 hours later...went home, and attended to my other two children with no problems whatsoever. The first thing I did when I got home was to take my shoes and clothes off, get in the shower and wash my hair. The second thing I did was give my baby a bath and made sure he had all his fingers and toes intact (that's something I think all mothers instinctively do) . A week later, we were all taking baby Max to the local park to get some fresh air and sunshine and enjoy our new baby! It also helps to have a cooperating father around. I'm very lucky that my children's father is very hands on and, aside from breastfeeding, he can handle everything else just as well.
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 13:06
tht's amazing morty!!
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 13:58
My youngest of 2 (a son) was born on a birth clinic affiliated to the local hospital. Normally no doctors there, but nurses and midwifes.

One morning, 10:30am, my wife called her mother in law (my mom...lol) and said she felt a bit funny. They agreed to drive the one mile to the clinic to have it checked. While examining my wife, the water broke.
They called me at 11:30 at work and said if I wanted to be present at the birth, I'd better come now.
I was there at 12:15 and at 12:45, Thomas was born.
We all left the clinic at 15:00pm - one baby richer.

Thats all it takes - why all this fuzz? -  its no hazzle at all LOL

Edited by Northman - 18-Aug-2006 at 14:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 17:09
Yeah... it's sound simple for the western women when it's about giving birth... but here.. everything from the past still keep in practice.. even not all but most of the routines and rules.. adapted till now...

would like to share the info with u guys.. I manage to find this... It's interesting... I dont think it's still popular by Malaysian women but it has been done by previous generation

Coconut Belly Rubs:
Traditional midwifery care in Malaysia and Indonesia

It start frm the prenatal care, childbirth to postpartum (yeah!! the 44 days thing! now i learn a new word.. lol)

LOL
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 09:48
Ahh stories of easy births. When my youngest daughter was born. The day in question I worked an 8 hr shift preparing for a large Christmas party(350 people) and went home and had guests for dinner. After the guests  had left the first signs of labour showed up. My thoughts at the time where ahh it's going to be a long night,. You see labor with my other girls lasted 24-36 hours. After about an hour or so I told my husband that perhaps we should consider getting the childern ready to go to his mothers house and think about going. Well while puttering around getting ready my water broke and then things moved very quickly and I told Mark that I thought that we were going to have a change in plans and he had better call the parametics cause this one had no intention of waiting. Well it took 3.5 min for then to arrive and they missed it. Our youngest daughter Nichole was born in her parents bedroom delivered by her father eighteen years ago in November. Smile  Well the paramedics insisted that we go to the hospital since they where there to take us and  because the stairs in our house had 2 turns in them they could not bring the gurnny up them I walked down and then was put on it and taken by ambulence (no flashing lights) to the hispital where they made me stay for 24 hrs just to make sure things where ok. (i think it was just so they could charge for something cause they couldn't charge for delivering the baby) about 2 weeks later I was back going to work a couple of days a week while Mark stayed home with the children..  We worked at the same place an the boss didn't care which one of us came to work so in technicialy I was on maternity leave but in reality we  shared the duties of his job.    
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 17:39
Cahaya...

Thank you - very interesting article for sure, and its good they dont practice that anymore. I'd  rather do the whole thing myself, than expose my wife to that treatment Smile

Dawn...

Sounds like you can "pop Almonds" as well. (expression we use here for easy births).

PS....  
How is your husband coping with all those oestrogenes from 4 females in the house? Wink 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>