Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Elections for Joe Lieberman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Elections for Joe Lieberman
    Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 22:57
    Senator's Re-Election Bid Tops Primaries
Connecticut Incumbent Trailing Political Newcomer
By ROBERT TANNER, AP

(Aug. 8) - Three-term Sen. Joe Lieberman struggled to overcome a ferocious primary challenger Tuesday, battling to escape payback from his own party for supporting the Iraq war.
Six years after Democrats backed Lieberman for vice president, political neophyte Ned Lamont grabbed an early lead and held it as the night wore on, despite the race tightening steadily.

With 89 percent of precincts counted, Lamont led with 52 percent, or 127,786 votes, to Lieberman's 48 percent, or 119,867 votes. Turnout was projected at twice the norm for a primary.

In Georgia, Rep. Cynthia McKinney, the fiery congresswoman who scuffled with a U.S. Capitol police officer earlier this year, fell behind in a runoff for the Democratic nomination.

Elsewhere, voters in Colorado, Missouri and Michigan also chose candidates for the fall elections.

The Connecticut Senate race dominated the political landscape in recent weeks, as Lamont demonstrated the power of anti-war sentiment among Democrats with his campaign. Lamont is the millionaire owner of a cable television company, but his political career is limited to serving as a town selectman and member of the town tax board.

Still, he brought himself to the brink of defeating three-term incumbent Lieberman, the Democrats' vice presidential candidate in 2000. It was a race watched closely by the liberal, Internet-savvy Democrats who lead the party's emerging "netroots" movement, groups such as Moveon.org that played a big role in pushing Lamont's candidacy.

Officials said turnout up to 50 percent when primaries usually own draw 25 percent of voters. And vote totals showed roughly 12,000 more ballots cast for the Democratic Senate primary than the party primary for governor, reflecting the extra attention to the Lieberman-Lamont battle.

Jubilant Lamont supporters predicted victory.

"People are going to look back and say the Bush years started to end in Connecticut," said Avi Green, a volunteer from Boston. "The Republicans are going to look at tonight and realize there's blood in the water."

On the final day of the race, Lieberman accused his opponent's supporters of hacking his campaign Web site and e-mail system. Campaign manager Sean Smith said the site began having problems Monday night and crashed for good at 7 a.m., denying voters information about the candidate.

"It is a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise voters," Smith said.

Lamont, campaigning early Tuesday afternoon in Bridgeport, said he knew nothing about the accusations. "It's just another scurrilous charge," he said.

A week ago, polls showed Lieberman trailing Lamont by 13 percentage points. The latest polls showed the race tightening, with Lamont holding a slight lead of 51 percent to 45 percent over Lieberman among likely Democratic voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Monday.

The telephone poll of 784 likely Democratic primary voters, conducted from July 31 to Aug. 6, has a sampling error margin of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Democratic critics targeted Lieberman for his strong support for the Iraq war and for his close ties to President Bush. They played and replayed video of the kiss President Bush planted on Lieberman's cheek after the 2005 State of the Union address.

Lieberman has said he will run as an independent in the fall if defeated in the primary. His falling poll numbers spurred some Democratic colleagues to make last-minute campaign appearances, including former President Clinton, Sen. Barbara Boxer of California and others.

In the lead up to Tuesday's primary, 14,000 new Connecticut voters registered as Democrats, while another 14,000 state voters switched their registration from unaffiliated to Democrat to vote in the primary.

In Georgia, McKinney, her state's first black congresswoman, was in a runoff in her bid for a seventh term. In the heavily Democratic district, the runoff winner is likely to win in the fall.

With 68 percent of precincts reporting, Hank Johnson, the black former commissioner of DeKalb County, was ahead with 58 percent, or 25,112 votes, to McKinney's 42 percent, or 18,056 votes.

McKinney has long been controversial, once suggesting the Bush administration had advance knowledge of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. Her comments helped galvanize opposition and she lost her seat in 2002, but won it again two years ago.

In her latest brouhaha in March, she struck a Capitol Police officer who did not recognize her and tried to stop her from entering a House office building.

A grand jury in Washington declined to indict her, but she was forced to apologize before the House. She drew less than 50 percent of the vote in last month's primary.

In other primaries Tuesday:

- In Michigan, Republican Rep. Joe Schwarz, a moderate who supports abortion rights, lagged conservative Tim Walberg, a former state lawmaker. The race has drawn more than $1 million from outside groups; Schwarz has received support from President Bush and Arizona Sen. John McCain.

- In Colorado, two open congressional seats have drawn crowds of candidates.

- Missouri Republican Sen. Jim Talent and Democratic challenger Claire McCaskill, the state auditor, won their party's primaries.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 01:11
Im so happy, he was the first politican I ever leanred to hate, back when I was 12 and he was trying to ban my acess to computer games in a vain attempt to make his party seem morlaistic to soccer moms.  His downfall fills me with glee!

When hes dead lets bury him in pork wrappings, shellfish and boxes of violent video games!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 02:22
Just more proof of how the extreme left of the Democratic Party is shoving their party off the deep end.  I personally think it's great, Karl Rove will have his way with them.
Member of IAEA
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 07:02
Originally posted by Genghis

Just more proof of how the extreme left of the Democratic Party is shoving their party off the deep end.  I personally think it's great, Karl Rove will have his way with them.

Or, It could be a preview of how fed up with the extreme right the rest of the voters are.Tongue
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 07:06

Extreme left? US has no such thing. Your Democrats would be Right wing Liberals here, your Republicans would be considered facist or religous fanatics, people we laugh at... 
What you think is extreme left is in fact no more than Central Democratic...

Edited by Aelfgifu - 09-Aug-2006 at 07:07

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 09:19
Agree with Aelfgifu. Extreme left in the United States? You must be kidding, Genghis.

The whole American political spectrum has shifted so much to the right that most Americans simply cannot tell what is "right" and what is "left" anymore. The so-called "moderates" in both right and left in the United States are, in most countries' standard, solidly right, and the so-called extreme left is, in most countries' standard, just moderate left.

I bet if more Americans KNEW, for example, what's going on in Scandinavia, they would definitely call those countries "communist". They don't just because they don't have a clue about the Scandinavian system. They even call our Canadian system too "communist" which cannot be more far from the truth.

Edited by flyingzone - 09-Aug-2006 at 10:13
Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 09:40
Democrats and Republicans with both equally screw over america, jsut in 2 differnet ways. Demorcats don't know what they stand for, Acceep being agisnt the war in Iraq. And the Repbulicans are so corrupt its scary!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 10:53
That is the problem with a two party system. In a two party system, most people onl vote against a party, so voting for one party just to keep the other party from winning.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 12:11
-The real problem in the US is the difficulty to actually get anything done. Republicans and Democrats disagree over every policy, and for the Dems especially, follow particular issues for the simple fact that it is fashionable to their party. Logic is often left trailing far behind. The Democratic Party has been hijacked by extremists, while the Republican Party is earning the reputation of being untrustworthy. We really need a good third party to find common ground and begin cleaning up this mess. A few quick examples of problems that we can not fix due to partisan bickering:

My BIG 3
-Illegal Immigration
-Oil Prices
-the "War on Terror"

-As for Lieberman....unfotrunately, the man has lost the favor of his base. I guess that tough military stance is not very appealing to your average blue-stater..........
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 12:15
Originally posted by BMC21113

A few quick examples of problems that we can not fix due to partisan bickering:

My BIG 3
-Illegal Immigration
-Oil Prices
-the "War on Terror"

Dude, these are huge problems all over the world. A third American party is not going to make illegal immigration less, or oil prices lower...

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 12:25
-Yes, that is why we need to be able to bypass all of the bureaucratic BS and get something done! Those three issues are by far the most important and I would understand if it were just these difficult issues that we struggled with........though we can't agree with anything here in the States! I think an effective third-party would do a much better job at establishing common groung for the future of our country. As of now, I do not think we even have a realistic vision for our own future.....which is very unsettling to me.

-BTW, I doubt illegal immigration elsewhere can even compare to the problem we are facing.

-Also, as for oil prices...... I want alternate fuel........something that both Dems and Reps have denied the people for the last 4 administrations and counting....
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 15:26
-BTW, I doubt illegal immigration elsewhere can even compare to the problem we are facing.

Ever saw anything about Spain, Italy and the Canary Islands? Just as bad, and I think more people die on the way to there too...

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 16:32
-No, I have not......is it really as bad as the US? I may have to look into that, as I had no idea. Thanks!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 16:45
See here, for example:
 "Officials say about 15,000 illegal immigrants from Africa tried to enter Spain last year, and that dozens drowned in the attempt." (2001)

Or here:

a million illegal immigrants who enter Europe each year

More than 5,000 people have died trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe since 1996.

2 million people have moved towards the North African Coast in the hope of being able to reach Europe via Italy by Boat.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 09-Aug-2006 at 16:50

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 21:44
Just to let ya folks know that JOE isint out of the race yet! he is still in the race running as an independent for a seat in the senate.
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:17
-I think he will do well as an Independent....... One of the few Dems I would vote for as of now. It will be tough for him to win re-election in CT.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:19

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Extreme left? US has no such thing. Your Democrats would be Right wing Liberals here, your Republicans would be considered facist or religous fanatics, people we laugh at... 
What you think is extreme left is in fact no more than Central Democratic...

Clap Sssooo true.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:28
I do have to say, though - when George Bush was re-elected, I was devastated. We watched the election live in a cafe, and people were just heartbroken with the result.

Now, though, I'm kind of indifferent. I don't truly believe the United States will be any different regardless of which party is in power. The country is ruled by its corporations and lobby groups and the parties, to me, seem to be just a distraction to amuse the masses. It might be better for the rest of the world, and for the average American, to have Democrats in power but in the end... it makes no difference.

American foriegn policy seems to be more or less the same regardless of who is in power so the country will continue to dig itself into a deeper and deeper hole in the sphere of world opinion. The Republicans won't care, the Democrats will but won't be able to really change anything.

Nothing much will happen in our generation, I believe. But when America falters and is no longer a superpower - as history has shown us always happens, with every great country - it will be shown very little mercy I'm sure.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:42
Originally posted by BMC21113

-The real problem in the US is the difficulty to actually get anything done. Republicans and Democrats disagree over every policy, and for the Dems especially, follow particular issues for the simple fact that it is fashionable to their party. Logic is often left trailing far behind. The Democratic Party has been hijacked by extremists, while the Republican Party is earning the reputation of being untrustworthy. We really need a good third party to find common ground and begin cleaning up this mess. A few quick examples of problems that we can not fix due to partisan bickering:

My BIG 3
-Illegal Immigration
-Oil Prices
-the "War on Terror"

-As for Lieberman....unfotrunately, the man has lost the favor of his base. I guess that tough military stance is not very appealing to your average blue-stater..........

The dems hijacked by extremists and the republicans merely untrustworthy? What reality do you live in? Im a center-right Federalist who idolizes Barry Goldwater and I can tell you that although both parties are abhorrent, the Republican party is clearly the least logical and most deluded ideolougues int he developed world.

If they are so practical, why do they intentionally sabotage our scientific endeavors giving small Asian countries a huge advantage over us? Oh thats right, they do it to appease some psychopathic nut jobs who think the world will end tommorow.
Was there anything logical or practical about the Iraq war? No, anyone here can tell you I hav eno problems with war, but an unecessary one that costs money and lives and dfoesnt even lower gas prices is a lame deal. Oh yeah, and taking out a secular ruler, no matter how evil, to replace it with a society that will probably elect an Iranian puppet state, strengthenening america's real enemy.

FOreign policy isnt even strategic anymore, its based on religous fundamentalism and misguided Wilsonian ideology.

In the end only solution is to kick all the incompitent zombies out of power, which means that no matter how they redistrict, incumbents of both parties must be defeated to end the corruption and rule by idiots (see Ted Stevens) Liebermans' defeat is a step in the right direction.  Soon Santorum will fall as well and that will make me more happy than even the fall of Delay.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:58
-Tobodai,

-I agree with much of what you have said in this post. To be honest, I am not real happy with either party and I have been a Republican since I was old enough to register. I plan on declaring myself as an Independent, but this is not the point. The point is that neither party has lived up to my expectations......reason, can not agree on a general direction for our country and/or can not solve simple problems due to long drawn out processes and partisan sheep. I plan to vote on the best suited canidate regardless of party...and sadly, the Dems certainly do not look so good. You ask how I arrive at the conclusion that the Dem. party has been hijacked by extremists....look at the Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean! If that guy is not an extremist, I do not know who is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>