Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are the Tatars Turk or Mongol?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are the Tatars Turk or Mongol?
    Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 10:03
please answer the this question i learn turk but somebody says they are not turk they are mongol
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 10:34
they are turk definitly mabey mixed with mongol. Because tatars were fierce fighters they were in the mongol so they became "popular" and later all the nomads including mongols were called tatar like the lands from the black sea untill machuria was called tatary it think
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 11:16
"Tater" has different meanings.

The original Tatas were either Mongolic or Tungusic.

When this group was conquered by Chingiz Khan, the name became used for by Europeans for all the nomads under the Empire, including Chingiz's Mongols and the Turkic groups within the empire. So basically, the old name "Tatars" became a popular general term for nomads.

Long after the collapse of the Mongol Empire, the name became primarily used for Turkic tribes in the western regions of the former Mongol Empire.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 08-Aug-2006 at 11:18
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 11:24
the Tatars were originally Mongol tribe which became virtually extinct in civil war back in 13th century in Mongolia. Then Mongols came to Europe, everyone called them Tatars. Today Tatars in Russia are Turkic by language  and mixture of Volga Bulgarians, Kipchaks and other tribes.

Edited by axeman - 08-Aug-2006 at 11:24
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 11:26
Wasn't there a Tatarstan, way back, like a 1000 years ago?
The word Tatar did eventualy become a generic thing for people who were nomads, and not specificly ethnicity.
I guess the question needs to narrow it down between the original Tatars (who were Mongilian), and the later day Tatars (a mixed bunch, but mainly Turkic).
Arrrgh!!"
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 12:42
Originally posted by Cywr

Wasn't there a Tatarstan, way back, like a 1000 years ago?
The word Tatar did eventualy become a generic thing for people who were nomads, and not specificly ethnicity.
I guess the question needs to narrow it down between the original Tatars (who were Mongilian), and the later day Tatars (a mixed bunch, but mainly Turkic).
there still is its a aunotmomus region in siberia but thats not the same as krim tatarsTongue
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 12:50
the name Tatar nowadays can be compared to the term Latino or Latinamerican, it means people of various tribes (Crimean Tatars, Nogai, Volga Tatars etc) that all have shared Turko-Mongol background.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 12:53
volga tatars are th ones livin,g in tatarstan right?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 13:14
yeah.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 16:32
turkey claim to muslim tatars   crimean tatars run away to country than came turkey.because they think same nation crimean tatars language same turkeys language.they was settle down eskişehir  and near.this action continued 1 century. 

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 17:24
Originally posted by xi_tujue

there still is its a aunotmomus region in siberia but thats not the same as krim tatarsTongue

Tatarstan is not in Siberia. Not all Russia is Siberia Smile
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 20:15
I cannot recall where did I read this before. However, I remember the term Tatar is the inhabitant of Western steppes who were Bulgar Turks and were mixed with invading Mongols to form the Tartar notion. Is this true? Not 100% sure.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 20:31
The Tatars of the Crimea (in the Ukraine) and of Tatarstan (in the Russian Federation) are definitely not Mongols. They are are Turkic people of Caucasian stock who adopted the name, customs, culture, and language of their conqerors.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 21:52
Tataristans captial was/is Kazan. I'm not sure if this is in anyway recognised by the Russians.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 21:59
Kazan or Qazan is recognized by the Russian Federation as the administrative capital of the Republic of Tatarstan, the current president is Mintimer Shaeymiev and the current prime minister is Rustam Minnikhanov.

Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 08:14
Originally posted by axeman

the Tatars were originally Mongol tribe which became virtually extinct in civil war back in 13th century in Mongolia. Then Mongols came to Europe, everyone called them Tatars. Today Tatars in Russia are Turkic by language  and mixture of Volga Bulgarians, Kipchaks and other tribes.

Tatars weren't a mongol tribe.

There are two nations called tata.

Tatar Turks were gone to china in Proto-Turkic time in Turkish History.

"Tata" means Turkish in oldest chinese,and "-ar,er"additions means disbanded(dağılmış) in old Turkish.İt became Tatar.Tatars were a old Turkis Tribe,not young.

Some historians have theorys about Tatar Turks(but all of them are mongol =).They say Tatars were originally mongol.But a Tatar tribe in Turkey(now,they are battling with PKK kurds in mountains) called an Turkish antrologist,he researched and say that thay are Turkis(and sorry for my poor english =).

Tatars are originally Turkic friends.They mixed like other tribes but they are still Turkic.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 11:03
No, I think you're getting the usage confused. The original "Tatars" north of China cannot be used to apply to modern Tatars.

The original Tatars were unlikely to have been Turkic. They lived in a region populated with Mongolic and Tungusic peoples, and had many similarities to Chingiz Khan's tribe.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 20:33
The original "Ta-ta" were from Mongolia and may have been either Mongol or Turkic, they were either incorporated into Genghis Khan's Mongol Horde or fled his onslaught and became refugees, eventually conquering Central Asia and settling there. The Tatars of Tatarstan adopted their name and customs.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:45
I have met Volga Tatars and Crimean Tatars, and I could totally understand them when they spoke. 
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 03:53
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

No, I think you're getting the usage confused. The original "Tatars" north of China cannot be used to apply to modern Tatars.

The original Tatars were unlikely to have been Turkic. They lived in a region populated with Mongolic and Tungusic peoples, and had many similarities to Chingiz Khan's tribe.
I said two different nations friend.Your opinion is only a theory,my opinion is too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>