Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedALEXANDER, where should I start with the

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
yazzmode621 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALEXANDER, where should I start with the
    Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:53

http://www.makedonija.info/propaganda.html

Eumenes of Cardia: A Greek Among Macedonians http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0391042092/103-0251031-3045 448?n=283155

You say my sources are biased.  And you think yours is not?

Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:58
Romios- There is too much evidence that shows Greeks and Macedonians as different people.  Alexander first invaded Greece then Persia.  He didnt invade Persia to avenge Greece.  He invaded Persia to gain land and wealth.  That is why any nation tries to expand their empire.  The reason they burned down Persepolis is because Alexander got drunk and a Greek woman who was a slave of the Persian King suggested it as revenge for Persians burning down Athens.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:05

yazzmode621, except trolling the topic have you got anything useful to add?

The topic if you havent noticed is about the inaccuracies of the movie about Alexander and not another place to bring up more flame wars.

The ethnicity of ancient Macedonians and anything related to the modern dispute about FYR Macedonia is an entirely different issue and part of the blacklisted topics on AE.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10675&am p;PN=1&FID=38&PR=3

Now everybody get back to the topic.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:11
Alexander's propaganda was that he was invading Persia to revenge Persian invasion in Greece,
and his excuse for burning the palace of Persepolis was the burn of Athens.
I doubt his real purposes.
But just the fact that he was-according to his propaganda of course-acting in the name of ALL HELLENS doesnt mean something ?????
wake up.

-ok i ve just saw the prev post.
back to the topic at last!

Edited by Digenis
Kamran the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:16

ummm ... children ...

what's with all the name-calling? come on ... i was reading this thread with great interest when i suddenly noticed the change in eveyone's attitude. Would we all mind putting name calling to one side, not lose our temper, and just carry on with a civilized discussion (hey, we're all forebears of civilization here, aren't we now?). Seriously, everyone's idea is interesting and respectable, as long as it is not offensive or insulting to others.

So, let's just carry on, shall we?

btw ... just for the record : i didn't like the movie one bit !!

(i know i know, i'm new here ... so what??) )

Edited by Kamran the Great
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:18
Perseas- I am not here trying to troll.  If you would care to notice, Digenis first started making ridiculous claims of how Alexander brought civilisation with him to the West.  Interesting you dont accuse him of getting off topic and trying to start a flame war. 
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:34

Are we now into the childish "he-started-first" game? Instead of doing that make your self-criticism on your contribution on the topic's issue or the absense of it, and you will get what i meant precisely.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 05:25
Originally posted by yazzmode621

http://www.makedonija.info/propaganda.html

Eumenes of Cardia: A Greek Among Macedonians http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0391042092/103-0251031-3045 448?n=283155

You say my sources are biased.  And you think yours is not?

Why avoid answers and continue play a trolling game by present us propagandistic sites and specially the latter that not consern the thread .

I repeat for 3nd time

If were not Greeks why then Persians called them Yauna Takabara as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yauna) ?

Edited by akritas
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 07:24

I would have to reiterate that the focus of the thread had to do with the movie.  This is not the place to discuss the origin of the Macedonians and Alexander himself.  There are already good threads for that.  Please divert your discussions to those threads, otherwise I will have this thread locked. 

I repeat for 3nd time

If were not Greeks why then Persians called them Yauna Takabara as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yauna) ?

The answer to your question has been addressed sometime before you came to these forums.  Please refer to the "Alexander did not care about Helenism nor Helenization" thread on page 10 of the Ancient Mediterranean and Europe thread.  I cannot tell you where exactly to look but it is there.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 08:34
Originally posted by Sharrukin

I would have to reiterate that the focus of the thread had to do with the movie.  This is not the place to discuss the origin of the Macedonians and Alexander himself.  There are already good threads for that.  Please divert your discussions to those threads, otherwise I will have this thread locked. 

I repeat for 3nd time

The answer to your question has been addressed sometime before you came to these forums.  Please refer to the "Alexander did not care about Helenism nor Helenization" thread on page 10 of the Ancient Mediterranean and Europe thread.  I cannot tell you where exactly to look but it is there.

Why are you so sensitive with me Sharrukin and not with the others members that gave sourse propagndistic  web sites and un-historical quotes regarding the ancient Greek history ? And when say  we the Greeks  "ancient Greek History"  we mean and the Macedonian history.

the title of this thread has name ALEXANDER, where should I start with the historical inaccuraccies  and one from those are the quotes of the yazzmode621 .

The thread that you gave to read  has only 7 pages. Is tired by you to give the answer in my question to the yazzmode621  dear sharrukin  ?

Edited by akritas
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:36
first of all, what does the takabara mean after the word yauna.
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:45

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

first of all, what does the takabara mean after the word yauna.

'Yauna Takabara' or Ionians [Viz. Greeks] with a shield-like hat'

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:46

lol so they called macedonians ionians?

the yauna part is right, but why would they call them ionian greeks? macedon was not in ionia.

Edited by Iranian41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:27

lol so they called macedonians ionians?

the yauna part is right, but why would they call them ionian greeks? macedon was not in ionia.

You are the Iranian  and suppose you know something better why the ancient Persians called the Macedonians as Yauna!!! Ans as I said Yavana called the Greeks  from the ancient Indies. Persians called Saka Haumavarga  the Hauma-drinking Skythians and Saka Tigraxauda  theSaka who wear the pointed hat. The Apadana Foundation inscription (DPe) mentions Ionians(Yauna) of the mainland, Ionians-by-the-sea, and unspecified countries by and beyond the sea, while some inscriptions of Dareios at Susa (DSm, DSe) refer on the one hand to men of Skudra and petasos-wearing Yuana , on the other Skudra and Yauna across the sea.

On the tomb of Dareios at Naksh-i-Rustem 'Skythians beyond the sea' and 'petasos-wearing Yuana' replaced the unspecified 'countries beyond the sea' of DPe. Skythians (Saka) appear in two separate groups.

So all these people (Persians and Indies) called Yuana or Yavana  the ancient Macedonians but today many people forget to mention that. Or and this linguistic historical  event  was a mistake ?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:39

i am asking why the persians classified them as ionians. that is what im asking.

this is ionia (what is now the western coast of turkey):

macedonia was located on mainland greece, not in ionia.

so why did the perisans call them ionian greeks? that is what i am asking.

Edited by Iranian41ife
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:55
Iranian14life,

Simple explainatian is that the the first greeks the persians came across where from iona, every other greek from then on was then called by that name. You know when a name sticks it can be hard to change.

Talk about sticking, persians still call greeks yuanan(sp?) today and with your logic that name should upset our turkish neghbours*

*who also, thanks to the iranians call us Yunansti (sp?), amongst other things...

Edited by Leonidas
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:05

i am asking why the persians classified them as ionians. that is what im asking.

Now I know where Lesbians come from.  lol.

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by yazzmode621

Now I know where Lesbians come from.  lol.

And now i Know how simply trolling minds understant languadge.

That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:49

The existence of a satrapy in Europe, called 'Skudra', is known from Persian inscriptions (B44, 58f), 'Lands beyond the sea', that is beyond the waters of Asia Minor from the Persian point of view, were recorded in an inscription on the terrace-wall of Persepolis c. 513 B.C and a satrapy 'Skudra' was mentioned in a egyptian record of c.498-7 B.C and then on a list on Darius' tomb at Naqsh-i Rustam, c.486. The name 'Skudra' was probably Phrygian for the homeland, later called Thrace, which the Phrygians had left in migrating to Asia. The peoples of the satrapy were named c.492 B.C as three: 'Saka Paradraya', meaning 'Sacae (a general name for Scythian-type people) beyong the sea', probably the Getae, who resembled the Scythians in customsand equipment; the 'skudra' themselves, mainly Thracians; and 'Yauna Takabara' or Ionians [Viz. Greeks] with a shield-like hat' The last were mentioned also on glazed bricks at the palace at Susa. Some scholars have supposed that the Sacae 'beyond the sea' were Scythian peoples of the Crimea whom Darius had subjugated, but it seems improbable that Persia did hild that area, and that if she id it was assigned to 'Skudra' rather than to the territories in Georgia, centred on Tbilisi. Envoys from 'Skudra' bringing tribute carried two javelins, a long knife and a small round shield, which were characteristic of Thracian troops later (See Pls. Vol., p1,.40 XIX.
The Greek-speaking people with the shield-like hat were the Macedones, renowned for wearing the sun-hat, as Alexander I did on his fine coins from 478 B.C (look above). The Greek-speaking citizens of the colonial city states on the seaboard were not mentioned; nor did they wear a sun-hat.

Source: Cambridge Ancient History Vol 4

any other question as about the Yauna ?

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:51
Originally posted by BlindOne

And now i Know how simply trolling minds understant languadge.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>