Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liberators of your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liberators of your country
    Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 03:15
As a response to Shamiri's thread, how about a list of liberators of your country?

I guess it would be a lot shorter.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 03:20

Foreign liberators in  Germany: Napoleon who liberated us from the Middle-Ages, and the allied forces in WW2 ( yes, including the Red Army) who liberated us from the Nazi-Regime.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 04:32
Liberated from the nazi regime? Eh...
The Germans weren't that enthusiastic of the allies (and especially the soviets) coming. That however can be said for the Italians, who seem to have felt liberated from Mussolini.

Liberators of Greece? Hmm...
All of Greece was once occupied, in WWII. The country was not exactly liberated. The Germans pulled out. Practically it was the communist guerillas that took over the country, but I wouldn't go too far and call them liberators. The british that landed at Athens, were neither liberators, when they arrived most of the country was under guerilla control. But I guess they are the official liberators, as they 'liberated' Athens from the guerillas, and established the governement that was in Lebanon until then, and today Greece is descendant of that government.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 08:15
Willam of Orange-Nassau started our liberation from the Spaniards, his sons Maurits and Frederik-Hendrik finished it.

The English and Prussians liberated us from the French.

The Americans and Canadians liberated us from the Germans.

Now all we need is someone to save us from prime minister Balkenende and his liberal friends...Big smile

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 08:27
I would say the Allied during WWII (including the Free French Forces) and the revolutionaries as well as the philosophers (Diderot, Rousseau etc...). That's all I can think about
Vae victis!
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 08:31
M. Kemal Ataturk commanded the regular Turkish army against the invading Greeks.

He organized the rebellions in various Ottoman provinces which were occupied by Allies during First World War.

He was also the founder of modern Republic of Turkey.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 09:04
Originally posted by xristar

Liberated from the nazi regime? Eh...
The Germans weren't that enthusiastic of the allies (and especially the soviets) coming. That however can be said for the Italians, who seem to have felt liberated from Mussolini.

In historical retrospective, of course it was a liberation.

The people at the time might not have realised it to that extent, but anecdotal evidence (my grannies's stories) seem to indicate that most Germans on the W4estern Front were pretty glad when the Allies finally came, simply because they had enough of the war and just wanted it to finish, no matter what the outcome. Most of them were pretty sick and tired of the Nazi-regime too, but cared probably little at the time, what political system would replace it, as long as it stopped the war and fed them. As soon things started to go back to normal, the Germans realised that it had been indeed a liberation in the truest sense of the word.

On the Eastern Front, it was certainly different, partly because of the relentless Nazi propaganda that had the Germans indoctrinated against the Soviets, and partly because the advancing Red Army didn't behave in the way they should have. In view of the German atrocities in the East, and the huge sacrifices of the Soviet population, revenge was somewhat understandable, which doesn't excuse it of course.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 09:06
Clemement Atley who liberated use from the poverty, ill health and the full might of the market.

The roundheads who liberated us from autocracy.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 09:19
William III joined Holland and Britian in union that eventually started the foundations for economic growth by Dutch buisness practices. Without William III, we would probably not have grown to the economic power that we are now. I am not saying that it is all thanks to him, but he did play a major part. The British could simply not compete with the Dutch commerically, so we joined them in union! Thank you holland!
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 09:22
Those are some good ones, Paul but the Roundheads, yes, did deliver us from Autocracy, but they were also fanatical and puritain Christians.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 12:21
Well, the first could be the Vlachs, who took part in our liberation movement from the Byzantines in the late 12th century. And then there are the Russians, who liberated us from the Ottomans in 1878 (although their government wanted actually to occupy us and so it did in WWII). Oh, and there were Romanian, Finnish and some other detachments with them too...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Those are some good ones, Paul but the Roundheads, yes, did deliver us from Autocracy, but they were also fanatical and puritain Christians.

Fanatical Puritans were certainly a there amongst those who made up the Roundheads but they were only one of many who included Levellers, Diggers, Ranters, Athiests and so on.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 16:09
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

The English and Prussians liberated us from the French.
And vice versa. In 1795 the Republic was pretty much an Anglo-Prussian vassal state.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 17:36
George Washington. Who liberated us from England's grip.

Ok there wer more factors there but Washington is definitly up ther in being a liberator!
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 19:02
for Armenia, sadly to say...none
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 19:11
Estonians were 'liberated' from Estonian rule by the Russians. We must be grateful... during the WWII I mean.

Of course, in 1918, Estonians 'liberated' themselves from the Russian rule.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 19:24
To the first Iraqi who says George W Bush,

I'll run naked through the streets of Bagdad singing the star spangled banner..

Edited by Paul - 27-Jul-2006 at 19:24

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 19:39

I want to keep the foreign element to remind Americans of the importance of others...

Baron von Steuben, Prussian drill instructor who made out conventional troops suck less, he may have been a pedophile worse than MJ but he saved us all.

Marquis de Lafayette, held the army together at the battle of Princeton, participated in 2 revolutions on both sides of the lake.

And of course dropping the foreign element now...

Abraham Lincoln  who liberated an entire people, first only in the rebel states, but his policies carried through to reconstruction, he also despite them not willing to admit it, liberated the south from its own useless stupidity and backwards feudalism.

And Susan B Anthony, who started the political liberation of women by voting and being a pain to the powers that be.

To me, Theodore Roosevelt was also a liberator, liberating children from brutal work conditions and liberating the environment of our most important natural landmarks.

Edited by Tobodai - 27-Jul-2006 at 19:40
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 20:01
Originally posted by mamikon

for Armenia, sadly to say...none

You can look at the Soviet invasion and Armenia's inclusion into the Soviet Union as a sort of liberation from further Turkish invasions and raids. Even though Armenians actually fought off the Red Army while simultaneously at war with Ataturk's army, it actually paid off in the end (sort of...). But ya...thats about it LOL

Actually I just remembered...In the 10th century, Armenian general Smbat Bagratuni ended the Arab occupation of Armenia when his army of 40,000 crushed an Arab army that was 80,000 strong.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 27-Jul-2006 at 20:11
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 04:50
Originally posted by Paul

The roundheads who liberated us from autocracy.

And of course the royalists who liberated us from the roundheads. Big smile

An interesting character there is George Monck, no? First he (helped) liberate England from the crown, then he liberated England from the commonwealth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>