Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shiite and Sunni question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shiite and Sunni question
    Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 15:37
In countries with predominant Shiite Muslim like Iraq and Iran, can a Shiite and Sunni intermarry with one another?

It look each sectarian is still hostile to each other in these days. It is hard to imagine if they can actually form a consensual marriage.

Edited by Killabee - 26-Jul-2006 at 15:42
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 16:24

can catholic intermary with protestants in Ierland ?

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 16:44
Originally posted by Killabee

In countries with predominant Shiite Muslim like Iraq and Iran, can a Shiite and Sunni intermarry with one another?

It look each sectarian is still hostile to each other in these days. It is hard to imagine if they can actually form a consensual marriage.

Not a common thing, but sure I have seen many many cases of Iraqis of mixed marriages. This is more common in metropolitan mixed areas like Baghdad for instance, where Sunnis and Shiites line is not so clear. Plus, it is the centeral government capital (with a long history of secularism) and so, less conservative and with less conservatism, identity such as Kurd, Shiite, Sunni is just a heritage as few are strong practicers compared to other areas.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 11:10
In Pakistan it is very common, I am the off spring of such a pairing.
Then again its not such an issue here.

Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 19:44
I've also heard that it is very common in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 20:09
My uncle, a paki sunni, is married to an iraqi shia
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 21:47
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

My uncle, a paki sunni, is married to an iraqi shia

That is an interesting mixture. Smile
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 03:02
My family has interesting genetics. If someone marries a bosnian-turk who grew up in Germany, then I can draw a line from Toronto to Agra and be related to all in-between.

Mostly anway, skipping the bulgars and some former yugoslavs.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 03:15

In Iraq this case it is something in the middle between common and uncommon.

My father is a Shiite and my mother is a Sunni.

So killabee, Ahmed The Fighter(as an individual) is a good answer for your question.

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter - 04-Aug-2006 at 03:17
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 17:01
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

In Iraq this case it is something in the middle between common and uncommon.

My father is a Shiite and my mother is a Sunni.

So killabee, Ahmed The Fighter(as an individual) is a good answer for your question.

Thanks, Ahmed.

Can I ask a personal question?

If there is a civil war break out between Shiite and Sunni in Iraq, which sect are you going to side with?

Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 19:12

I would never get involved if such war occured in my country.

Khalid Bin Walid
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 19:40
Salam Ahmed, good to see you again man after that long time.

UN reports show that as many as 100 Iraqis were killed by the sectarian violence in the past month. How comes Baghdad is the center of all of this violence despite it is the central government location and the capital, whereas, other remote areas such as the south and the north is not experiencing that shocking rate of violance?
D.J. Kaufman
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 12:08
Originally posted by ok ge

Salam Ahmed, good to see you again man after that long time.

UN reports show that as many as 100 Iraqis were killed by the sectarian violence in the past month. How comes Baghdad is the center of all of this violence despite it is the central government location and the capital, whereas, other remote areas such as the south and the north is not experiencing that shocking rate of violance?

Thanks Cok,nice to see you too and sorry for being late in response.

the situation now in Iraq  like hell it is very complicated there are many groups no one can know where they come from, the situation exploded after the explosion of the golden dome of Imam Hadi shrine.

and Baghdad must be the center of all of this cause everybody know that if you control Baghdad you will control Iraq like Saddam did,the insurgents operations are a way to show the government's inability and the best place is definitely Baghdad,in this case  I can't see any abandonee except the Coalition forces who wants to outstaying their occupation to my  country.

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter - 09-Aug-2006 at 12:11
Khalid Bin Walid
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 20:48
I think it is pathetic that 100 Iraqi civilians are dying each day at the hands of Sunni and Shia extremists. Iraqis should remain unified and cease from spilling any more Arab or Muslim blood. The sooner Iraqis can reconcile with one another, the sooner the Coalition forces can withdraw.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 00:42
The sooner the "Coalition" Forces withraw, the sooner Iraqis can become reconciled to each other.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 13:52
It is sad to see after 1400 years passed by since the death of Prophet Muhammed(Peace be upon him), the voice for muslim unity is still weak. Each sect is still fighting among themselves and claim to be the true heir of Muhammed. I wonder how Prophet Muhammed(Peace be upon him),  would feel about it if he sees his muslim children is killing each other.

Edited by Killabee - 10-Aug-2006 at 17:20
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 14:05
Originally posted by Sparten

The sooner the "Coalition" Forces withraw, the sooner Iraqis can become reconciled to each other.

Yep I agree totally. They should pull the plug on Iraq. Pull all forces and funding. Let them kill eachother and when the dust settles then we'll see what is left. And when some dictator or oppressive rule comes to power then it should just be accepted by the west. Maybe all the proxy warriors will leave and go to Isreal or back to chechnya or Afgahnistan. I think these proxy warriors cause alot of the strife between sunni and shiite as they dont care about the future of either side.

Edited by Gundamor - 10-Aug-2006 at 14:08
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 20:39

There are far too many religious extremists in Iraq - nearly all of them were drawn there by the American invasion - it would be disasterous to withdraw all Coalition forces from that country now as the Sunni Arab extremists and Shia Arab extremists would have a field day and massacre each other (not that they aren't already) and a civil war truly will break out!

The Coalition forces provide at least some level of security for the average Iraqi citizen.

Edited by Master_Blaster - 10-Aug-2006 at 20:40
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 21:22
it would be disasterous to withdraw all Coalition forces from that country now

I don't think it would make a difference. The US forces don't appear to be doing anything apart from getting killed.
They've clearly failed to provide any security
Each sect is still fighting among themselves and claim to be the true heir of Muhammed.

I don't think thats the fight at all. Sunni and Shia get pretty blurred around the edges, most people don't know the difference either. I'm not even confident I do either.
The only issue I've ever heard is some sunnis say some shia vary too much from the Quran. But thats true of many sunnis too AND it varies person to person.

IF there is fighting. I'm sure its just a Us & Them mentality rather than anything else.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 11-Aug-2006 at 03:45
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 06:18
Originally posted by Gundamor

Yep I agree totally. They should pull the plug on Iraq. Pull all forces and funding. Let them kill eachother and when the dust settles then we'll see what is left. And when some dictator or oppressive rule comes to power then it should just be accepted by the west. Maybe all the proxy warriors will leave and go to Isreal or back to chechnya or Afgahnistan. I think these proxy warriors cause alot of the strife between sunni and shiite as they dont care about the future of either side.

Worked well enough for the last 5000 years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>