Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XII - Thank you for playing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XII - Thank you for playing!
    Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 14:14
Round 2 hints have been posted!

Round 1 bonus points were added, based on the percentage of correct responese of question answered in round 1. Only Decebal's score was affected.

Round 2 bonus is more complex. The scenarios for round 2 bonus points are as follows: Decebal will receive 1.8 points for question 12 if the question is correctly answered by at least one participant (TJK is leading 13 to 11.73, so the bonus = 2*(11.78/13) = 1.8). However, if the question is not answered by anyone, no bonus will be given for that question. 

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Jul-2006 at 15:37
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 14:47
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Damn! you're right. I got Lithuania and Poland confused. It's also particularly bad that I had to be pointed out in this fasion since you're from Poland and leading on the scoreboard.
Unhappy Ouch Wacko Embarrassed

Number 8 will be removed then. 

Not that I want to be a whiner here, but I did get the answer for that question even though there was a problem with it. I get to be the only one penalized here...
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 15:05
Decebal,

Very Sorry for penalizing you there, Cry but I think it is best to remove the question because the intended answer was incorrect. On the converse, allowing the point would potentially lead to the argument that the point was given for an "incorrect" answer.

The good thing, though, is that question number 8, regardless of how it is scored, does not affect the outcome of the quiz going into round two.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 15:26
I suppose there's not much I can do about it then... I'm kicking myself about the questions I didn't get in part 1 though. I was in the ballpark for all three of them, having localized the countries and historical period for each of the answers during my search, but not quite getting the exact answer. If only work didn't get in the way and I had more timeCry
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 15:47
I can assure you that I'm kicking myself even more for the errors so far on my part. LOL

BTW, good job at getting my question right!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 17:46

I don't think "Golden Age," can be the correct answer because Rome was not in a Golden Age at that time.

Quite possibly, but taking into account the well beings during the rule of Severus or whoever ruled until some 213 or 217, then it was better than earlier periods and later periods.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 21:35

Could you do, for this round, updates more often?

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 22:00
Scores have been updated again, but with no change from the previous update.

Updates are in 4 hour intervals in order to prevent brute guessing and so that people who live in the same time zone as I do not receive too much of an advantage.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 02:42
Decebal has 2 points for Q15.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 08:23
Yes round 2 questions are worth 2 points.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 08:26
Grrr. Unfair... Well, good luck for Decebal.

Round 3 questions worth 3 points?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 08:32
Ok but there are no questions in round 3 Wink
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 12:34
Only 1 and a half hours left! 
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 14:28
That's all! Thanks for playing, everyone. Please vote for your favorite question. Any additional comments are welcomed. Smile

Awards will be given tomorrow. It looks like Decebal has this one! Congratulations!

Question 12 was in many ways similar in topic to the Benovsky question of the previous TQ (which was also a very difficult one). Also, I have to say I'm happy that a lot of people got the Zenobia question right... except Emperor Barbarossa who also on staff for the Magazine project. Wink

Answers to Round two questions:

Q12. I was a soldier who suffered a grievous wound while fighting for his empire. I left the army and carved out an "empire" for myself in a remote corner of the world. My successors governed this empire for over a hundred years, until they ceded it to the empire that I originally fought for. Who am I, and what was the "empire" that I carved out called? (Hint: He was born in Europe. His "empire" under his sucessors was ceeded some time in the 20th century. He has also inspired a fictional character of a famous writer who also wrote about a trip upriver.)
  • Answer: James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak (in modern-day Malaysia).  He was granted the title and territory by the Sultan of Brunei in 1841 for his invovlement in local affairs. His sucessors ruled the territory until it was ceeded to the British Empire in 1946. His character formed the basis for the book Lord Jim of Joseph Conrad.

(Moderator's Note: the only correct answer was only partially correct, resulting in 1 point. Thus, the bonus given to Decebal was .90 rather than 1.8).
Q15. When his father died, he became the ruler of a magnificent city, capital of his empire. However, he did not like the location of his capital and decided to move it to another city. Since the new capital needed people, he decided to move the population from the old capital to the new. The project was a disaster and many people died in the relocation. Later, he attempted an economic reform of his kingdom but failed miserably. For such reasons, he has gone down history with an exceedingly unfavorable reputation. Who was he?
  • Answer: Mohammad bin Tughlaq of the Delhi Sultanate in India. During his rule, he attempted to move the capital away from Delhi, which failed miserably due to the inadequecy of the new location. He also attempted to introduce token currency into his Sultanate, which failed as well.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 29-Jul-2006 at 14:33
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 16:25
Congratulations for all participants and especially for Decebal !

As for best questions I would split my vote between 2 questions from second round  (Q12,Q15) and .. Q7. Before I regonize that "seafaring business" could be piracy I have learn at least 10 biografies of most important womens from the age of Queen Elizabeth LOL 

Edited by TJK - 29-Jul-2006 at 16:25
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 17:59

Also, I have to say I'm happy that a lot of people got the Zenobia question right... except Emperor Barbarossa who also on staff for the Magazine project. Wink

Neither did I get it right.. Magazine project doesn't seem to help. Just don't put any Hadrian questions into the next Quiz...

Favourite: definetly Q8, so much fun. (Not making fun, it was a good question).  Ofcourse, I didn't know the answer to Q14 and I looked up for Genghis Khan and Attila, seeing these two weren't correct I just by accident wrote Tamerlane... what great luck.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 20:58
Maybe in future we should have pro-league for the likes of Decebel, Dawn, TJK and so and amateur league for the rest of us mere mortals.

Great quiz though and thanks to Invictus for all the hard work.....
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 21:42
Originally posted by Paul

Maybe in future we should have pro-league for the likes of Decebel, Dawn, TJK and so and amateur league for the rest of us mere mortals.

I second that...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 03:05
Originally posted by Paul

I third that. Quite an idea but hard in reality, isn't it? Ofcourse, with 3 persons the ProLeague wouldn't be nothing much... Fortunately there are some more skilled persons.
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:19
This questioned i deserve adlist 1/2 points and here it is

Goes some like this

Was married for third time to a man 30 years my senior who  i gave child and eventually killed me

Im sorry to say closes i got was

Poppapea roman queen

3 wife of Nero
Had lavish parties
Was killed by her husband

Why even though i made mistake, different person i dont get 1/2 points

Sorry but if you count the facts of clues i guessed and this was more of puzzle then question i think i deserve adlist 1/2 points on that

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>