Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The best rifle of WWII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best rifle of WWII
    Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 03:53
Which is the best rifle of WWII according to you? 
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 12:47

There were lots of good ones.

The best bolt-action was the Lee-Enfield SMLE, though the Mauser 98 and Springfield '03 were great too.

Overall, I'd have to go with the M1 Garand, though that German MP43/44 (precursor to the AK-47) was badass...

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 22:24
i disagree. I think that St44 is the ideal for the wwii combat. But if u want precision, then ill peak the mauser or some bolt-action. But un intresting desing is the fg-42
Not yet mein friend, not yet
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 13:02

I vote for the M1 rifle ( semi automatic / 8 rounds / 7.62 x 63 mm ).

The Lee Enfield had 10 rounds capacity ( .303 / 7.7 mm ), but still the bolt action was quite slow.

I like also the Tokarev semiautomatic rifle.

Mauser was indeed the best bolt action rifle ever, but only 5 rounds capacity and the high caliber ( 7.92 mm ). That same 5 rounds capacity could be found in other Mauser models ( Spanish and Mexican ), but in a more manageble caliber as 7 x 57 mm.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 17:55
I am also gonna have to say the M1 Garand. It was extremely reliable and was not a bolt-action.

and does the ST44 count? it was more of an Assault Rifle than a rifle (if that made sense) I believe it had the ability to be switched to fully automatic mode. I think its more comparable to things like the Thompson sub-machine gun and others like that. I guess we have to specify "rifle" because obviously bolt-action is going to compare to some weapon that has a fully-automatic mode.

Edited by Illuminati
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 20:13
The M1 Garand.  It was reliable, had a large capacity, and was semi-automatic.  It's also very fun to shoot, the M1 is one of my favorite rifles to shoot for enjoyment.
Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 22:41
it also makes the cute little pa-ching sound when you go through the clip!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 21:16
  Definitely the M1 Garand
 Post Reply Post Reply