Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If Rome never existed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Irish Nation View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If Rome never existed
    Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 19:47
If Rome had not conquered all the land it did do you think that the world would be the same? What if Rome as an empire never existed. It would change European history. Would we still be as advaced as we are now? The Romans spread Civilasation. So if it was not spread how would the old and new Europe be affected?
Early this morning I signed my death warrant.
Michael Collins, to friend John O'Kane after signing Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921
Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 22:58
If there was no Rome, there is a chance that Italy would not exist because it flourished after the destruction of the western empire.

Also, it's a mystery where all of the other famous leaders would have tried to conquer otherwise.
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 23:12
I believe the world would have just gone on. whether Rome exsisted or not.

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 24-Jul-2006 at 23:12
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 04:42
It might be interesting to consider what our law-books would have looked like without Roman law as it's basis....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
clement207 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote clement207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 10:22
Maybe we would still be in the early part of the Mediveal Age now?
It could mean it would take longer to reach our present state of technology.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 10:57
Originally posted by clement207

I doubt that. The countries that until about 100 years ago where technologically most advanced, mainly Western Europe, was exactly that part of the empire which fell the lowest in civilisation after the collapse of the Empire. I don't think our present day achievements lean that heavily on the Roman empire.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Greek Tragedy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Greek Tragedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by Irish Nation

If Rome had not conquered all the land it did do you think that the world would be the same? What if Rome as an empire never existed. It would change European history. Would we still be as advaced as we are now? The Romans spread Civilasation. So if it was not spread how would the old and new Europe be affected?

Yes we would still be advanced as we are now without Romans, how did romans spread cililization when they were the last ancients? they took their cues from the ones before them. i hear rome was so advanced but yet other civilizations had great built buildings that we still dont know how they managed to do so early on, there was already running toiliets in houses and plumbing systems to get water to and from before romans, the Minoans of crete had it. there was already towns, cities. why they let romans take the credit i dont know, maybe they think it could not happen earlier before. didnt romans work with archemides to help them out? and medicine, science, philosophy, languages was already there in other civilizations. to say its the basis of modern civilization is wrong because others had that credit first and are said to. i doubt much would have changed actually.. washington is modeled after greek buildings, not colusseum. maybe wars and conquoring with romans would be different but romans dont still conquor greece, egypt and i dont see much imprint there, alexandria is a greek city. and christianity was brought by jesus and the real holy place, not rome and vatican. so i doubt much would have drastically changed at all.. unless romans invented the first football style stadium? is that their accompilishment? but the theater they didnt invent.

basically to me it would be one less empire, and they did not spread civilization, and i dont think many countries maybe western europe? take after rome, but eastern was always greek, and they went west too. anyway im always hearing britain and greece left imprints. so yes i dont think much would be different at all. the question is where would rome be without greece, there would be no senate inventions would there.. to go along with democracy? hmm
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 16:40

The Romans spread Civilasation.

Nonsense.

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 17:18
Roman empire might not be the most cultured civilization, but it was the most organized. They construct paved roads, aqueducts, theatres, civil services, post services, through out the whole europe and asia minor, this way they improved trade and communication between the nations.
Roman empire was the first empire that wasn't ''biased'', Greeks thought all the others as barbarians, Egyptians and Persians looked to the other nations with pride and superiority. Rome didn't care, if you were serving the empire, you were a roman citizen.
It was the first ''cosmopolitan'' empire, if you excuse my characterisation. The first european league.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 17:59

Civilisation is either spread by technological and intellectual exchange, or by political dominance by an advanced people over a less so. Or both. Which particular ethnic groups or states do the dominating and exchanging, is ultimately irrelevant.
The "progress" of civilisation follows its immutable laws and is an unstoppale one, without the Romans the details would have been slightly different, but we surely would have ended up where we are now.
If that is a good thing, I leave to your judgement.

But there is another question. What if Rome still existed?
Saw a book in the store that is based on this presumption:
Romanitas, a novel by Sophia McDougall.
The excerpts on the flashy website, however, are less than promising:

Edited by Komnenos - 25-Jul-2006 at 18:00
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 18:33
Its not Nonsense at all. The Romans  did spread it. The lands around the Med were Ignorant apart from them. There was a lot of Places that were not. Like Greece. Macedonian. Egyot in the east medd. ect. But Take places like Gaul(France) The Celts were not halfe as advanced as the Romans. They spread there  Civilised ways to them. They were savages. Well organised ones. But still Savages. Also i agree that Without Greece Rome would never have be  a republic. But like it or not. They did spread CivilasationWink
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 18:43

But like it or not. They did spread Civilasation

I don't have anything against Romans, what are you talking about?

Well, civilization is a relative concept. So it is impossible to decide which people were more civilized.

Originally posted by Giannis

Roman empire was the first empire that wasn't ''biased'', Greeks thought all the others as barbarians, Egyptians and Persians looked to the other nations with pride and superiority. Rome didn't care, if you were serving the empire, you were a roman citizen.

But of course! Roman was not an ethnicity. So how on earth could they despise people because of their races?

I am pretty sure though, they felt they were superior to Celts or Germenics because of their different cultures.

Knight
Knight

Quote Irish Nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 19:59
I never said you had anythnig against the Romans. Just correcting you on a mistake you made.Wink
clement207 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote clement207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 20:30
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by clement207

I doubt that. The countries that until about 100 years ago where technologically most advanced, mainly Western Europe, was exactly that part of the empire which fell the lowest in civilisation after the collapse of the Empire. I don't think our present day achievements lean that heavily on the Roman empire.

If the roman empire did not exist. You should refer to the barbarian hordes of the western europe like the celts and the other tribes. Without them spreading civilisastion we would not have advanced to such technonlogy. Look around us rome is all around us. The Sewers and the sentate building in amercia.
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 02:41

If rome didnt, someone else would have, Etruscans probaly .. counting on the fact that the greeks were "safe' inside the hills ,but geographically the romans needed to conquer its barbarian neighbours to prevent the threat.This is why Rome expanded northwards and continued to expand to protect its borders.Carthaginians would be a good bet.

It doesnt matter who they  were a Strong exanding Empire they will leave their mark technologically and scientifically.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 09:49
And also Rome built a lot of strong architecture buildings like the coliseum and enourmous aquedeucts that not only shows Roman greatness, but the potential and limitness power of human kind itself
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 11:42
Yes, but the thing is, the Romans did not invent things like the architectural arch or the senate. The only thing that was new and unique in the Roman Empire, was the enormous administrative achievement of governing such a huge empire.
But it was also this administration which collapsed first and most definately when the empire fell. It was not continued by later people, but reinvented. They would have invented it anyway, Romans or not...

And as alraedy mentioned above, knowledge is not only transferable throug an empire, and the Romans were not the only ones with the potential to create an empire. They were hardly unique...

Edited by Aelfgifu - 26-Jul-2006 at 11:44

sponge View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sponge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 11:50
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

The only thing that was new and unique in the Roman Empire, was the enormous administrative achievement of governing such a huge empire.
But it was also this administration which collapsed first and most definately when the empire fell. It was not continued by later people, but reinvented. They would have invented it anyway, Romans or not...

Actually administrative system wasn't the only achievement of Romans. They had a unique jurisprudence far more advanced than their contemporaries. It is this jurisprudence that forms the backbone of all modern jurisprudence systems.

One more overlooked legacy of the Romans is the ascension of Christianity. Without RE there would be no need to reconcile all those diverse faiths and congregations in one particular religion. Christianity would never win more than a small minority and probably would die out or integrate with paganism in a few centuries.

Edited by sponge - 03-Aug-2006 at 14:30
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 19:04
Rome did establish certain elements of Western Civilisation, from public works and the founding of urban centres to legal code and linguistic development. In the case of Western Europe, once the Romans had established their presence there was simply no going back to the way things used to be, the old petty tribalism was no longer the order of things because Rome had taught that rulership on a grander scale was possible. And as the civilisation which came out of Western Europe has been the most influential one in recent centuries, the Roman legacy echoes on.

For those of us who live in societies shaped by Rome's political and cultural legacy, thinking what we would be like without Rome is kind of like thinking how we would have developed if our childhood had been radically altered at 8 years of age.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 21:32
Without a Rome, I'd think that Hellenistic kingdoms would persist in the Middle East and resume their ancient feud with the Iranians (ala the Parthians and Sassanid Persia)  before taking the brunt of Mohammed's Islam.  How well they'd have held out is open to question, given that Rome was able to take 'em out really quickly.

In the West, a combination of Gallic, Celtic, Germanic and Norse influences would be the foundation of modern law rather than the more centralized Roman model.  Blood feud ("My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father...") would probably still be an acceptable means of carrying out justice and in the continuously shifting patterns of hostile states which jostle against each other in an ongoing vlkwanderung that may only be stopped by the Atlantic Ocean and the frontiers of Islam.

Further East, the influences of the Turks, Mongols and Chinese would continue to spill out into the Russian steppe, leaving us with a more familiar Russia, albeit without the pretenses of being a claimant to Roman glory...
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>