Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 128>
Author
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 09:42
Okay, another collection of changes desired

Suvorov                  --         Move higher still.  I will do so.

Wellington              --         Move down.  I will do so.

Von Moltke              --         Move up.  I will do so; I forgot to do so on the second iteration of the list that I just posted.  Oops.

Gustav II Adoph      --         Move down.  Well, I'll think about it.  He's actually my favorite commander, so I'm biased.  Well, him and Turenne, that is.

Baji Rao and Maharaja Ranjit Singh     --        I will research them and see what to do with them.  The problem is, I keep getting candidates, but nobody ever says, "so-and-so should be off the list."  The hardest part is seeing who to take off.

Byzantine emperors --         Their high ranks are relics of Travis Congleton's list.  I personally have been moving them down.  He had Heraclius at 7th...  I would be happy to move them down a little more

Marius and Sulla        --         I will move Sulla much further down.  It might be helpful to develop a ranking of each nation's generals on the list to make sure the heirarchy of them stays right.  I'll post that later.

Manstein                    --         Move down.  I will NOT do so.  The Sichelschnitt plan for the conquest of France, one of the most brilliant battle plans ever, was his idea that he championed over opposition from many quarters.

Guderian                    --         Move up a little.  I'll look into it.

Epaminondas             --         Move down.  He was one of the first (maybe the first) commanders to scientifically plan a battle, instead of lining up and charging, or doing a simple ambush.  That's why he is so high.  I could move him down more.

von Rundstedt           --         Move on.  Well, he was a good, competent general, but I don't know if he is good enough to go on the list.

Comments on the top 4:  I'm done moving them around.  Good cases can be made for all of them, so since it is a simple matter of personal opinion, and this list is mine, I say--I'll leave them the way it is.

Marius                        --         Higher.  Really?  I know he reorganized the army and fought barbarians, but I don't know of a case where he really fought equally competent troops under a competent leader.  Except when he lost to Sulla.

Heraclius                    --         I really do not know much about him, except he defeated the Avar siege on Constantinople and forced back the Persians and devised the thema system of military organization and he lost the battle of Yarmuck to Khalid ibn Al-Walid.  Or at least was still emperor then; I can't remember if he was in actual command.  So he should go higher?  I can do that.  But this list is already a little Roman and Byzantine heavy.

Tamerlane is already on the list at #22

74. Stanisław Koniecpolski     You're right, he should be higher.  I'll think about dropping Gustav also.  Maybe.

"Horatio Nelson should be above him as he defeated Napoleon twice."  Highly misleading comment.  Napoleon was not the admiral.  If he was, then you could say that.  BTW, remember this list is not paying attention to naval history at all.

Originally posted by Spartan

Lots of people missing on this list.
US Grant for one, the first industrial general ever. ANd any military man I ever speak to always calls him the Americas best.

How about Cyrus the Great?

Good to see you here, Spartan, a veteran of lists like this.  I used your list as one of the sources.  US Grant is on at #70, Cyrus the Great is on at #21.  I wouldn't have such important people missing!!

Okay, that does it for this batch of comments.  Next batch?

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 10:35
Originally posted by Bulldog

I don't think it took much of a great commander to just use horse archer tactics perfected hundreds of years ago. I was arguing about the top three generals on the list. Napoleon can definitely compete with Genghis Khan with his tons of great victories. So what if he was defeated in three different areas, Genghis Khan was defeated in Korea, Vietnam, and Japan.

It shows your lack of knowledge about the great Ghenghiz if you dilute it all down just into some horsemen with bows and arrows. What about the millitary training, the tactics, the decoy's, spies, propoganda operations the planned nature of the operations, just going into Russia at Winter and being victorious is enough to put the guy at number one. Who else has gone into Russia in Winter and won?

Ghenghiz was defeated by Japan? are you sure sure.

Napoleon is severly over-rated, he was a flawed general who was awfull at navy battles and is remembered for his terrible losses.

Horatio Nelson should be above him as he defeated Napoleon twice.

DSMeyers1 beat me to this. Your arguments are so misleading. Napoleon was not, I reapeat, was not in command of the navy. Nelson beat the French admiral, not Napoleon. Also, the Mongolians got completely lost in Vietnam and Japan, and had some horrible losses in Korea. Napoleon is not overrated, if anything, he is underrated. He won more great victories than any other general in history against enemies with larger aremies than his. The only reason he lost in the end was that all of Europe was fighting against him. Genghis Khan never had a huge coalition consisting of many different nations against him. Napoleon endured such a coalition for over fifteen years.

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 10:47
Okay, here are the generals on the list, along with a few that were close to making it, sorted by the nation.

Country Top Generals Other good generals
Macedonia Alexander, Philip II  
France Napoleon, Turenne, de Saxe Davout, Vauban, Conde, Villars, Massena, Lannes, Luxembourg
Mongols Temujin, Subotai, Tamerlane Jebe, Mukhali the Jalair
Carthage Hannibal Hamilcar
Prussia Frederick the Great, von Moltke  
England Marlborough, Wellington William Slim, Oliver Cromwell, Edward I, Richard I, James Graham, Clive, Moore
Rome Caesar, Gaius Marius, Scipio Africanus Sulla, Stilicho, Aurelian, Severus, Marcellus, Constantine I, Trajan, Scipio Africanus Minor, Corbulo
Sweden Gustavus II Adophus, Charles XII  
Byzantines Belisarius, Heraclius  Leo III, Alexius I, Narses
Austria Montecuccoli, Prince Eugene, Wallenstein Tilly
Bohemia Jan Zizka,  Prokop Holy
Persia Cyrus the Great, Nadir Shah  
Russia Suvorov Rokossovsky, Zhukov, Bagration, Vasilevsky
Ottomans Suleiman I Selim I
Greece Epaminondas Pyrrhus of Epirus
Germany Manstein, Guderian, von Lettow-Vorbeck, Rommel von Runstedt
Spain Cordoba, Parma Cortez, Pizarro, El Cid
Egypt Thutmose III` Ramses II
Arabs al-Walid Saladin 
United States Scott, Grant Patton, Sherman, Washington, Greene
Japan Shingen, Hideyoshi, Nobunaga  
Netherlands Maurice of Nassau  
Assyria Tiglath Pileser III  
China Qi Jiguang Li Shi Min, Kangxi, Sun Tzu, Ban Chao
Confederates Lee, Jackson Forrest
Mughal Babur  
Poland Koniedpolski Sobieski, Chodkiewicz, Rożyński
Normandy   Guiscard, William the Conqueror
Israel   David, Joshua
Zulu   Shaka
Scotland   Robert the Bruce
India   Maurya
Hun   Attila
Franks   Charlemagne, Charles Martel
Hittites   Muwatalli II
Turkey   Ataturk
Manchu   Nurhaci

The question is: what other nations are there that should be represented on the list?  What are we missing?  For example, the Inca and Aztecs are not represented.  Another thing: it would be good to make sure that each nation's generals are ranked properly.  For example, should Patton or Grant be higher?

Edited by DSMyers1 - 22-Jul-2006 at 14:59
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:02
If you are thinking of adding another Scot, add Andrew de Moray. He was the leader at Stirling Bridge, and he gets no credit, because he died early. Without him, Wallace may have faced the English on an open field in Stirling, and would have been beaten horribly like at Falkirk. As I said, do not add William Wallace, he did nothing but lose and lose(Falkirk, Stirling Castle). He only gets credit because he died after being captured. I think Moray's death was greater, he died from wounds in a battle.  

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:32

Regarding Marius, one might argue that he fought sdomewhat equally competent troops during the Social War, which, in its initial stages, was a bit less of a foregone conclusion than we often realize today. Mainly I'm just happy to see him that high on the list, as many forget him.

Sorry about not noticing Tamerlane; my mistake. Once again, a wonderful, comprehensive list.

-Akolouthos
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:50
Originally posted by DSMyers1

Another thing: it would be good to make sure that each nation's generals are ranked properly. 

IMO Sobieski was better than Koniecpolski.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:53
A newer idea: maybe we should close up by the idea: take 50 nations and have one superb general and one lower but still good general, this would keep everything balanced. then later on we can put them into correct lineup.

And I had trhe idea of Isaak I Komnenos His military career was so high that enemies of Rome did not dare to attack it during his rule.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:59
I'll represent my idea like this by your previous list and my biased ideas...

Country Top Generals Other good generals
Macedonia Alexander
 Philip II
France Napoleon
Turenne
Mongols Temujin Tamerlane
Carthage Hannibal Hamilcar
Prussia von Moltke Frederick the Great
England Marlborough Oliver Cromwell
Rome Caesar Traianus
Sweden Charles XII  Gustav II Adolf
Byzantines Belisarius
 Isaak I Komnenos
Austria Prince Eugene Wallenstein
Bohemia Jan Zizka Prokop Holy
Persia Cyrus the Great Nadir Shah
Russia Suvorov Bagration
Ottomans Suleiman I Selim I
Greece Epaminondas Pyrrhus of Epirus
Germany Rommel von Runstedt
Spain Cordoba Parma
Egypt Thutmose III` Ramses II
Arabs al-Walid Saladin 
United States Grant Scott
Japan Hideyoshi  Nobunaga
Netherlands Maurice of Nassau  
Assyria Tiglath Pileser III  
China Qi Jiguang Sun Tzu
Confederates Lee Jackson
Mughal Babur  
Poland Koniecpolski Sobieski

Ofcourse I mentioned my BIASED ideas...
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 13:16
Dear DSMyers1,

WOW! What a monumental task you have in front of you. I wish you success in your endevour. Can I offer a suggestion?..... Could you please add Marcus Vipsanius AGGRIPA to your list? For obvious reasons... Your card game would simply be incomplete without him.

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 14:18
Originally posted by rider

A newer idea: maybe we should close up by the idea: take 50 nations and have one superb general and one lower but still good general, this would keep everything balanced. then later on we can put them into correct lineup.

And I had trhe idea of Isaak I Komnenos His military career was so high that enemies of Rome did not dare to attack it during his rule.

My idea is to get the absolute top 100 generals of all time.  The reason I am trying to emphasize balance is that many times the western nations are emphasized in such lists at the expense of potentially greater generals elsewhere.  The idea of manufacturing balance according to your idea is against the plan of having the absolute top 100, regardless of nation.

A few other generals I am looking at:
Sargon of Akkad
Autzotl
one of these three:  Pachacuti, Tupac Inca Yupanqui, Huayna Cpac
Nebuchadnezzar II
Mithridates I

The present list may be over-emphasizing the Romans and Byzantines, and perhaps the French.  I am not sure that, say, Davout was better than Thutmose III

Edited by DSMyers1 - 22-Jul-2006 at 14:53
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 14:21
Originally posted by Gargoyle

Dear DSMyers1,

WOW! What a monumental task you have in front of you. I wish you success in your endevour. Can I offer a suggestion?..... Could you please add Marcus Vipsanius AGGRIPA to your list? For obvious reasons... Your card game would simply be incomplete without him.

I'm afraid I won't be able to add Agrippa there to the list.  His accomplishments were greater aboard ship than on land; he probably was one of the great admirals of all time.  In addition I already have some 11 (!!) generals from Rome on the list.  Thanks!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 14:44
Well, you have two byzantines. And replace one Roman with Isaak I Komnenos (maybe Corbulo)
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 14:58
Originally posted by rider

Well, you have two byzantines. And replace one Roman with Isaak I Komnenos (maybe Corbulo)

Actually, I have 5 Byzantines already: Heraclius, Belesarius, Leo III the Isaurian, Alexius I Komnenos, and Narsus.  I failed to include all of them on my nation-by-nation list.  From what I have seen, Isaac was not that great a general.  Corbulo is actually not on the list, he is in something like 105th position.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 16:08

It Who else has gone into Russia in Winter and won?

Polish Lithuanian army in 1582 in the war against Ivan IV Scary.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 17:30
Ok, forget about Rundstedt, i thought the invasion of France was planend by him in person. and i forgot to comemtn on Lettow-Vorbeck. arguably his campaign in German east-africa was brilliant but it was only a secondary theater and whom did he fought? unmotivated Indians and Portuguese colonial troops...you can keep him on the list but move him down a little.

japanese daimyos. i'm not happy with having three damyios, they only fought a rather small war and they were not that outstanding....after all they failed in Korea. my idea, through out 2 and move down the reimaining daimyo.

BTW, why is Qi Jiguang number 1 chinese general? i can't really agree. is it because he constructed the great wall? he just fought Japanese pirats, i don't think thats too spectacular...

I wanted to mention them earlier but why David and Joshua?? and i don't know if we can trust the bible as a source...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by Majkes

Cruel...
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 00:10
Originally posted by Majkes

And Polish-Lithuanian army in the war 1609-1618. And Polish soldiers who supported False Dimitri II in 1607-1608.
clement207 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote clement207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 08:59
Why don't you list out each of those 100 generals achievements?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 10:31
It isn't that simple besides some that you can write: conquered known world.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 12:01
[QUOTE=DSMyers1]Okay, another collection of changes desired

Suvorov                  --         Move higher still.  I will do so.

suvorov is a little lucky dog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 128>