Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 128>
Author
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 11:58
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Better, but Napoleon and Caesar should be the first two generals, not Alexander. Good job moving up Robert E. Lee and Jan Zizka. 

I'm leaving Alexander at the top based on results.

Caesar I have lower because he was fighting mostly non-civilized tribes in his conquests.

I tend to rate generals higher who were fighting nations at the same civilization level in their armies, and also those who fought other generals on the list.

Edited by DSMyers1 - 21-Jul-2006 at 12:00
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 12:08
I don't believe Alexander should be number 1. He faced some horrible Persian armies that were made up of untrained farmers who were unwilling to fight. Caesar faced Gauls that were very fierce. I would rate Napoleon number one because he clearly slaughtered all of Europe's armies, Caesar two because he won some great victories(he also beat Roman armies that outnumbered his own), and Alexander three because his enemies were not very good.

The reason I wanted Jan Zizka higher was because he is one of the few commanders in history who never lost a battle.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 12:34
Barbarossa's opinion is biased here, don't trust it..

Sorry, I can't afford Napoleon being first.LOL
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 13:53
Originally posted by DSMyers1

Originally posted by Majkes

Could You describe American's generals on that list and what were their achievments?

Winfield Scott: Distinction in War of 1812, commanded invasion of Mexico in Mexican American War.  The campaign that took Mexico City was brilliantly conducted in the face of superior forces.  Civil War: he devised the Anaconda plan, the overall strategy eventually used to defeat the Confederacy.

Robert E. Lee: Commanded Confederate Army of Virginia.  Absolutely brilliant defense of Virginia for 3+ years, always in the face of superior forces with better equipment and supplies.  Tactical domince.  Probably should be higher.

George S. Patton:  Tank commander in World War II.  Involved in conquest of North Africa and Sicily, then of France.

U. S. Grant: Civil War.  Finally defeated Robert E. Lee.  Brilliant Vicksburg campaign, had a good grasp of modern mass warfare.

Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson: The Shenandoah Valley Campaign in the Civil War was one of the best campaigns ever.  With a small army, he completely baffled and discomfited several forces of superior size, eventually joining Robert E. Lee for the 7 Days Battles.  Had he lived through the Battle of Chancelorsville...the whole Federal Army may well have surrendered.

William Tecumseh Sherman: Another Civil War general of great skill.  Forward thinking leader, became head of army after the war.

George Washington:  Managed to hold an army together in the face of a great power...without his generalship, the United States may never have formed as we know it.  Not the greatest tactician, but understood strategy well.

Nathaniel Greene:  Revolutionary War commander in the South.  Excellent campaigns wearied the British.  Never risked decisive battles, but fought to tire the British.  His success led to the surrender at Yorktown.

Ok, thanks, I just didn't know about Greene, Sherman and Scot.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 13:59

Roman Rożyński   --         I've never heard of him...

Me too. I don't think he should be on the list. I know He was a hetman of Polish army but I never heard about a battle that Ataman mentioned. Ataman - Could You provide a link to this battle?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 14:31
Originally posted by rider

Barbarossa's opinion is biased here, don't trust it..

Sorry, I can't afford Napoleon being first.LOL

Actually, I'm not biased towards Napoleon. It's just that Caesar and Alexander get the advantage of being able to lie in historical documents(there is no way that the Persians could field 250,000 men, neither could the Gauls). Out of those three, I would definitely choose Napoleon over Caesar in a close contest.

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:49

Actually, I'm not biased towards Napoleon. It's just that Caesar and Alexander get the advantage of being able to lie in historical documents(there is no way that the Persians could field 250,000 men, neither could the Gauls). Out of those three, I would definitely choose Napoleon over Caesar in a close contest.

My philisophy on those potentially exaggerating numbers is to accept them for the most part, unless there is absolute proof otherwise.  I know, I know...that's not necessarily good policy.  I go with the "innocent until proven guilty" on this.  I figure I trust the documents about as much as the archaeologists and historians who say otherwise.  Which isn't a whole lot...  Thus my willingness to go with Alexander at the top.

Here's a link to an interesting site disputing the size estimates by modern scholars.  I do not know how valid it is, I'm just pointing out others may agree on the large size of Persian armies. http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/persian_wars1.php

Does anyone have any further changes they would wish to be made to the list?

Edited by DSMyers1 - 21-Jul-2006 at 16:01
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 16:47

Suvorov               --         Move up.  I don't know about that.  He's already the highest from the 18th century except Marlborough, Frederick the Great, and Eugene of Savoy.  Should he go above Prince Eugene?

difficult question, i never made a direct comparison between the two but they also have a pretty similar record (war against Turks & French, all won). i'm not aware that Eugene wrote a military treatise but Suvorov did and it was considdered pretty good by contemporaries.

Von Moltke           --         Move up.  I agree that he was by far the best of the 19th century after Napoleon.  But above Wellington?  That's pretty heady heights.  I could move him to 16th.

WAY higher than Wellington, whats special about Wellington anyways? defeatign 2nd rate French commanders who commanded 2nd rate French armies in a secodnary theater of operatios is not really noteworthy. i grant that he was undefeated in each battle, but he almost always was the one being attacked and at Waterloo he almost got his ass handed if it was not for the Prussians. look, French Marshals St. Cyr and Suchet were also undefeated but they only fougth a couple of battles and mostly at strategcially unimportant places such as the Spanish east front. look how Frederick never won a battle against the Russians but do you find the names Rumyanzev or Saltykov anywhere?

Gustavus Adolphus         Much lower?  I don't think so.  A little lower, perhaps.  He will be below Frederick the Great in the next iteration of the list.  His conduction of the Thirty Years War was very good, and his tactical innovations, including mobile artillery, were VERY important.

no really, Gustavus Adolfus is the archtype of an overrated general. he was only good because he lost so much against the Poles, this gave his army the veteran appearance it had in the thirty years war, but the Swedish army was not undefeated and his innvoatiosn were not fantastic, his cavalry was poor compared to the Austrian or Polish and regimental field artillery was already outdated when it was introduced, field artillery only became fudnamental in the mid-18th century, most notably throught the Russian school (Suvorov, inspired by his old mentor Rumyanzev who in turn followed the doctrine established by Peter the great and his generals) but ultimately through Napoleon.

i have two more canditades to considder, this time from India, Baji Rao from the Maratha Confederation and Maharaja Ranjit Singh of the Sikhs.

BTW, why that many Byzantiens, what was so great with them? why are all thsoe byzantine emperors higher than Chandragupta for example? and what about guys like Sulla and Marius? Marius ok, but Sulla? as opposed to not a single Assyrian king, or more emeprors from the Mughals or Han dynasty like Han Wudi. and why Epaminondas, he invented the oblique formation and defeated the Spartans but globally? i mean he was just the commander of a small ancient town that beat another ancient town. there must have been a hunderd dozens of guys like him in the world.

for german ww2 comamnders. Guderian ranks ok, could eb higher though, but replace von Manstein with von Rundstedt. there is nothing spectacular to Manstein other than his ignenious defensive strategies against the Russians, but commanders like Kesselring in italy and Rommel to some degree showed similar ability. Rundstedt at least was responsible for the early sucess fo the Wehrmacht.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 19:46

My philisophy on those potentially exaggerating numbers is to accept them for the most part, unless there is absolute proof otherwise.  I know, I know...that's not necessarily good policy.  I go with the "innocent until proven guilty" on this.  I figure I trust the documents about as much as the archaeologists and historians who say otherwise.  Which isn't a whole lot...  Thus my willingness to go with Alexander at the top.

Here's a link to an interesting site disputing the size estimates by modern scholars.  I do not know how valid it is, I'm just pointing out others may agree on the large size of Persian armies. http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/persian_wars1.php

Does anyone have any further changes they would wish to be made to the list?

As I said, I completely disagree with the numbers. You can't put Alexander at number one because he both (a) did not face an army above two times of his own and (b) that army was poorly disciplined and trained. Also, there is no way Caesar could have faced 250,000 Gauls. That is why I chose Napoleon, because his numbers are accurate, and he won so many great victories, not just a few like Alexander. As I said, I believe Alexander should be at two or three, not one.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:57
I'm not doubting that Napoleon was a great general with his 50 of so victories but ultimately he was severly flawed and will be always remembered for his disasterous losses especially in Russia.

Where-as Ghenghiz Khan never suffered any heavy defeats, conquered every where he went, they even attacked Russia in Winter that's like an impossible task

Ghenghiz Khan is the undisputed greatest Millitary General, Napoleon, Hanibal and Alexander the Great cannot really compete.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 21:17
I don't think it took much of a great commander to just use horse archer tactics perfected hundreds of years ago. I was arguing about the top three generals on the list. Napoleon can definitely compete with Genghis Khan with his tons of great victories. So what if he was defeated in three different areas, Genghis Khan was defeated in Korea, Vietnam, and Japan. Also, Napoleon faced a united coalition of nearly every country in Europe, Genghis Khan usually faced only one country at a time.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 22:01
I'd put Marius and Heraclius a bit higher than 12th and 13th, but that's just my opinion. If we divided your list into sections of ten, I believe I would find very little cause to disagree. Wonderful work.

-Akolouthos
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 22:02
Originally posted by Bulldog

I'm not doubting that Napoleon was a great general with his 50 of so victories but ultimately he was severly flawed and will be always remembered for his disasterous losses especially in Russia.

Where-as Ghenghiz Khan never suffered any heavy defeats, conquered every where he went, they even attacked Russia in Winter that's like an impossible task

Ghenghiz Khan is the undisputed greatest Millitary General, Napoleon, Hanibal and Alexander the Great cannot really compete.

Ghenghiz Khan as a military general is highly overated. As a conqueror and leader of conquering nation is where its hard to dispute him. Just as his sub generals are highly underated. And can you name a battle that Napoleon actually lost in Russia?
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 22:10
Oh, did I miss it or is Tamerlane (Timur) not on the list. He may have been an inept ruler, but as far as generalship goes, he definitely deserves a very high ranking.

-Akolouthos
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 02:21
We could do discuss such list for days cause everone can do his own list and all will be diffrent so DSmayers don't try so hard with changing names on the list cause You are not able to please everyone. It's impossible.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 02:40
Originally posted by Majkes

Roman Rożyński   --         I've never heard of him...

Me too. I don't think he should be on the list. I know He was a hetman of Polish army but I never heard about a battle that Ataman mentioned. Ataman - Could You provide a link to this battle?

Majkes, I'm not suprised that you don't know this battle. I'm not suprised because Polish historians write almost nothing about military achievements of Polish soldiers who supported False Dimitiryes. Fortunately you can read about them in primary sources and in Russian elaborations.

You can read descriptions of this battle in Polish memoires (Marchocki's one and Budziłło's one). BTW, they claim that Russian army had 170 000 people, which is of course a big exaggeration. According to Russian site, which I've found in internet, Szujski's army consisted of 100 000 people. But I have read somwhere (I don't remember where Sad), that in fact there were 'only' 80 000 Russians in the battle.

Check also this site. There is description of the battle by Russian historian Riazin http://militera.lib.ru/science/razin_ea/index.html

Moreover, you might be interested in Rożyński's other battle - battle close to river Chodynka (it was on the 5th of July, 1608). Rożyński's army (about 15 000) defeated about 35 000 - 70 000 Russian army (different numbers are in different elaborations; primary sources claim that Russian army had even 140 000 soldiers).
You can read descriptions of this battle in Marchocki's diary, Budziłło's one and in Riazin book (but Riazin description is biased very much). 

If you want to read more about Rożyński, check "Wojownicy sermaccy" by Szymon Starowolski and "Polski Słownik Biograficzny" v. XXXII

I hope it helps

Edited by ataman - 22-Jul-2006 at 02:42
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 04:01

8. Gustavus II Adolphus

74. Stanisław Koniecpolski

How does that look to everyone?

It looks badly Unhappy

I have no doubt that Stanisław Koniecpolski was better than Gustavus II Adolphus. They fought with each other for 3 years. Swedish army in that time almost always outnumbered Polish one. But it was GA which lost battles with SK! So who was better general?
If you have GA on the 8th place, Koniecpolski should be on the 7th place. But in fact I think that GA should be on the 75th place.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:29
I don't think it took much of a great commander to just use horse archer tactics perfected hundreds of years ago. I was arguing about the top three generals on the list. Napoleon can definitely compete with Genghis Khan with his tons of great victories. So what if he was defeated in three different areas, Genghis Khan was defeated in Korea, Vietnam, and Japan.

It shows your lack of knowledge about the great Ghenghiz if you dilute it all down just into some horsemen with bows and arrows. What about the millitary training, the tactics, the decoy's, spies, propoganda operations the planned nature of the operations, just going into Russia at Winter and being victorious is enough to put the guy at number one. Who else has gone into Russia in Winter and won?

Ghenghiz was defeated by Japan? are you sure sure.

Napoleon is severly over-rated, he was a flawed general who was awfull at navy battles and is remembered for his terrible losses.

Horatio Nelson should be above him as he defeated Napoleon twice.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:51
Originally posted by Bulldog

It shows your lack of knowledge about the great Ghenghiz if you dilute it all down just into some horsemen with bows and arrows. What about the millitary training, the tactics, the decoy's, spies, propoganda operations the planned nature of the operations, just going into Russia at Winter and being victorious is enough to put the guy at number one. Who else has gone into Russia in Winter and won?

Actually Cenghis didn't invaded Russia.
But still you can't compare Mongol invasion into Russia with Napoleon or Hitler advances.
When Mongols entered into Russ lands (Russia didn't existed in 13th century), they found Russ pretty devided and they took each duchy one by one. Well something that for example Napoleon never experienced.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 08:45
Lots of people missing on this list.
US Grant for one, the first industrial general ever. ANd any military man I ever speak to always calls him the Americas best.

How about Cyrus the Great?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 128>