Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA former Premier of Macedonia: I am a bul

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A former Premier of Macedonia: I am a bul
    Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:24
Originally posted by Mortaza

Armenians stayed, greeks left.  why?

My suggestion:
Greece - near & free motherland;
Armenia - far, the bigger part - still in Turkey, the small part in USSR.

(and - i think - we are talking about the events in Turkey/Istanbul around 1955;  ...or not?)
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:27
Originally posted by Akritas

According the international Treauties is a Muslim minority that composed of Turks,Pomaks and Roma

So - one minority - three ethnic groups... Interesting.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

Originally posted by Mortaza

Armenians stayed, greeks left. why?
My suggestion:Greece - near & free motherland;Armenia - far, the bigger part - still in Turkey, the small part in USSR.(and - i think - we are talking about the events in Turkey/Istanbul around 1955; ...or not?)

Do you seriously believe it?Do you think that Greek in Polis left because they imagined a better life in a poor Greece of 50's?They were driven out._ Of course some treaties signed meant nothing for our neighbours...
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:39
i don't want to be rude but i think that Mortaza has hijacked this thread..
Mortaza look at the title of the threadErmm
This thread started from the FYROM issue, passed through the slavophones in Greece and ended up at the pogrom of 1955LOL

Edited by nikodemos - 13-Jan-2007 at 17:41
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:43
Originally posted by Patrinos

They were driven out.

OK, i want to know more about that. I don`t want to be ignorant of that, so, please, post some sources when you can. Or: what are the key-phrases for googling?
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:45

Edited by nikodemos - 13-Jan-2007 at 18:00
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 17:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_Pogrom

Edited by Patrinos - 13-Jan-2007 at 17:52
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 18:02
Guys please don't continue the discussion about the Turkish minority in Greece (or other Greek-Turkish issues) here. Open a new thread or post in an existing relevant one.
-------------------

Originally posted by Anton

As Bulgarian minority, Patrinos,  I consider those people that have Bulgarian self-identity and which number is underestimated by Greek officials."
Oh give as the real number then, dear Anton. Besides, AFAIK the vocal Slavophone minority in Greece says they are "Macedonians".

The difference between "slavophones" in Greece and Karakachani in Bulgaria is that Bulgaria recognizes Karakachani, help them to identify themselves and do not oppose Greece to keep contacts with them. Nobody writes weird graffities on their vilages and they do not affraid to speak their own language outdoors. Nobody call them "indoeuropeophones bulgarians" but they are recognized as Greek minority. Nobody will oppose building of their church if they wish to build one. Whereas situation with "slavophones" is completely different. Watch bg_turks movie about it.

You don't like as calling them "Slavophones". Then tell me how we should call them. As for bg_turk's movie, it's in Bulgarian so we can't understand it and therefore cannot judge it. However, from what you said, they say in the movie that "Bulgarians" in Greece are "afraid to speak their own language outdoors". So I ask you, why are they afraid? What will happen to them if they speak Bulgarian?

Xristar, tell me why all, I mean ALL Greeks that I met (most of them I respect as clever and educated people) repeate the same arguments in absolutely the same words and phrases? Where did you study those arguments? At school? Shocked

You mean Greeks that you met in real life or here at the forum?
In any case, which are those "arguments in absolutely same words and phrases" that "ALL Greeks" repeat to you and what is wrong with those arguments?
If you mean the argument that the "Macedonian" party gets few votes, no we don't learn it at school Shocked

Edited by Neoptolemos - 13-Jan-2007 at 18:06
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 18:30
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

Originally posted by Akritas

According the international Treauties is a Muslim minority that composed of Turks,Pomaks and Roma

So - one minority - three ethnic groups... Interesting.
and these  ethnic groups  are these that Turkey want to vaptize as Turkish.
20.000 Roma
30.000 Pomaks
50.000 Turks

as you see Mortaza, Greek state record the recognized minorities in Greece.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 18:50
OK, let me recap the argument about the Muslim minority in WT the way I see it, please correct me if I'm wrong:
Firstly, the Muslim minority in Thrace is not exclusively Turkish; it includes Pomaks and Roma as well. For that reason it is classified as a "religious" minority in international treaties, not 'ethnic", i.e. Turkish. This said minority has some rights: schools, religious institutions, parliamentary representation.
So, the argument that Mortaza is mostly championing is that they're not allowed to use the actual word "turk" in anything they do, it took Ilhan Ahmat's Union 20 years of legal battles to be able to use "Turkic' on their banner. The argument is not about  oppression of the Muslim minority in general, but the Turkish element within it in particular.

Now, let's look at the relations between the two countries (Greece and Turkey). Let me not repeat all the "bumps" that have been  mentioned before and thus tire the reader. It will suffice to say that in the eyes of most Greeks (and probably the Greek goverments as well), Turkey represents the one tangible threat in the area today. There has been Cyprus; 1955; the non-recognition of the status qvo in the Aegean on the part of Turkey and the consequent statement of casus belli. Ancara's attempts to appear as the "protector" and regulator of all Muslims in Thrace and thus interfere in internal affairs. Under these circumstances how can Greece ever recognize anything "Turkic"? It will immediately become a pawn in Ankara's attempts to further their plans in the area. Can Greece have assurances that recognition of Turkish minority will not be used by Ankara to interfere in internal Greek affairs? Even if those assurances were granted can we trust the Turkish goverment considering their history of aggression and militarism? This is the core of the argument: under the present situation in the Aegean and the relations of the two countries Greece CANNOT recognize a Turkish  minority, even if ALL the Muslims in WT were Turks, because this would compromize Greece's NATIONAL INTEREST and survivability. The condition and status of Greko-Turkish Muslims in Thrace can and will be part of a PACKAGE that addresses the TOTALITY of the relations between the two countries, including, of course, Cyprus: for how can Greece negotiate status for Muslims in Thrace when Turkey is so bent on dichotomizing the island that she'll even sacrifice her EU chances in order to "push" for a "TRNC"? Or when everything that has to do with ancient Greek past of Anatolia is transcribed as "Ionian" in order not to even use the word"Greek"? Yet on the other hand Ankara is "screaming" about the Turks in Greek Thrace!!

Personally I bear no grudges against the Turkish people. I love the food, the climate is the same, the topography (of the coast), is the same, the people look the same. My greek friends who have travelled to Turkey received a totally different treatment (with the good meaning of the term) as soon as the locals found out that they were "Yunan". In Izmir, they opened up abank on Sunday (!!) after the intervention of two motorcycle cops so my friend Giorgos could cash his traveller's checks. I don't think they would've done this for, say, a German.  I want to travel to turkey myself to see all the monuments and the ancient battlefields  and I bet you that i'll feel more at home there than say Stockholm or Copenhagen. I believe that, just like me, most Greeks "buried the hatchet" long time ago. We mumble and grumble about cyprus, the violations of the FIR etc. But inately there's no hate or aggression on our part. But there are legitimate concerns about safety and survival and it is those that mostly affect the status of the Muslims in thrace as well.

Sorry Neoptolemos, you guys posted a bunch of stuff in the time it took me to type this. OK, no more about Thrace on this thread that as you correctly pointed out is veering off topic. Cheers.

Edited by konstantinius - 13-Jan-2007 at 19:04
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 19:42
Neoptolemos, I ment not only Greek fellows in this forum but my Greek friends as well. Of course, you didn't learn them from school. Arguments are as you mentioned -- last vote and fights for Greece. What is wrong? The wrong is that votes for party do not points to their the real number of those people. Here are some explanation why:
1. They do not vote since they are not interested in Greek politics.
2. They are brain washed and consider that to be a Bulgarian (read Tartats) is a shame (remember Grekomani and are brothers from Skopje).
3  The program of this party is bad.
4. The program of this party is nationalistic and those people do not want to wake up the sleeping lion. Because bad peace is better than good war (as Russians say).
5. Because (correct me if I am wrong but as I understood this is what this party did) they allied with gay party which was not a good move and led to political death of the party from the very begining.
6. They are just affraid to vote for this party.
These are example of explanations why they didn't get enough votes.  

The fact that they fought for Greece says nothing either. It is normal for a man to fight for the country he lives in. I can even understand if they fought against Bulgaria in WWII. My grandfather, for example, did so since he was anti-fascist (not in regular army but in some sort of underground). But he was a real Bulgarian patriot. On the other hand Russians from the army of general Vlasov fought against Soviet Union allied with Germany and this does not make them less Russians.

The fact that they stayed in Greece is also understandable. They lived in these lands for tens of generations why should they move, then?

Then tell me how we should call them.

Bulgarians, maybe, ahm? Wink They speak slavonic language close to Bulgarian (not Serbian or Croatian) and were Bulgarians 100 years before.  I am sure you will not consider them as Macedonians, am I right?

However, from what you said, they say in the movie that "Bulgarians" in Greece are "afraid to speak their own language outdoors". So I ask you, why are they afraid? What will happen to them if they speak Bulgarian?
Most likely nothing bad. But what does Greek government do to explain this to them? There is no need to understand Bulgarian to see graffities in this movie, saying "death to Bulgarians". What do Greek officials do remove them? Where are schools in Bulgarian language? Why the only church that was sponsored by Skopje was closed before it was built? Do you think it is normal situation? But instead of attempts to fix the situation what I see is permanent denial of Greece to recognize this (and other) minorities. Apart, maybe, work immigrants since 1990s.

I do not know about Macedonians, but  Bulgaria has no territorial claims to Greece anymore. But people still want their minority to be recognized. And this not necesserily mean that we want addition of their lands to Bulgaria. This is my opinion but I am sure most of people in Bulgaria think like that.

Edited by Anton - 13-Jan-2007 at 20:45
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 19:47
I don't know their number and probably nobody knows. But it is not 10-50-80 for sure. If I count my relatives, I will probably find this "10-50-80" only in Zagorichane.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 19:58
There is some SERIOUS paranoia going on.

Where is the evidence of this secret covert Turkish plan? when have they gone into Greece and forced the Pomaks and Roma to say there Turks? this is nothing but a figment of the imagination and a pretty extravagent theory.

Infact, I've never heard of such an issue untill today which leads me to think why it's even being brought up? Do the Roma and Pomak associate themselves as Turks or feel closer to Turks is this the problem? what exactly is the issue and what proof is there that Turkey is somehow in Greece Turkifying people.

Regarding TRNC, if the event's between 1963-1974 against the Turks of Cyprus didn't occur, if the Greek's of Cyprus didn't try to turn Cyprus into a religous extremist state run by a crazy Bishop Makarios hell-bent on Enosis the elimination of Turks from the island, Turkey wouldn't have been forced to use its Guaranteur right to enter.

Pretending that pre-1974 doesn't exist and blaming everything on the Tuks is a bit unfair.

Sure Turks arn't angels and caused problems for Greeks aswell elsewhere but neither are the Greeks, both are as bad as each other but neither will admit it.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 20:51
Originally posted by Bulldog

There is some SERIOUS paranoia going on.

Damn right there's paranoia going on. To be more precise there's a HISTORY of paranoia going on.

Where is the evidence of this secret covert Turkish plan? when have they gone into Greece and forced the Pomaks and Roma to say there Turks? this is nothing but a figment of the imagination and a pretty extravagent theory.

Infact, I've never heard of such an issue untill today which leads me to think why it's even being brought up? Do the Roma and Pomak associate themselves as Turks or feel closer to Turks is this the problem? what exactly is the issue and what proof is there that Turkey is somehow in Greece Turkifying people.

The issue is that Ankara appears to speak for ALL Muslims in Thrace as if they were all Turkish and to harass the Greek goverment about the appointment of the Mufti. In other words Ankara wants to appoint the mufti of the Greek-Muslim minority herself!

Regarding TRNC, if the event's between 1963-1974 against the Turks of Cyprus didn't occur, if the Greek's of Cyprus didn't try to turn Cyprus into a religous extremist state run by a crazy Bishop Makarios hell-bent on Enosis the elimination of Turks from the island, Turkey wouldn't have been forced to use its Guaranteur right to enter.

Pretending that pre-1974 doesn't exist and blaming everything on the Tuks is a bit unfair.

Exactly my point. There's a feeling of DISTRUST and enmity that affects greek perception of the Greek-Muslim minority in Thrace. TODAY  it is the Turkish goverment who in my oppinion have to extend a hand of friendship towards the other side. As long as this hand is not forthcoming, "bumps" (extant but NOT insurmountable) will exist.  

Sure Turks arn't angels and caused problems for Greeks aswell elsewhere but neither are the Greeks, both are as bad as each other but neither will admit it.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 21:08

I do not know about Macedonians, but  Bulgaria has no territorial claims to Greece anymore. But people still want their minority to be recognized. And this not necesserily mean that we want addition of their lands to Bulgaria. This is my opinion but I am sure most of people in Bulgaria think like that.

Yes, yes, yes, damn right, you've said it. Why did it take so long? This is the core behind the treatment of any minority, including the discussion with Mortaza about the Muslim Thracians. It is the fear of irredentism and secession, it is the thought of WHAT IF we allow these parties and then they turn around and bit us on the a..
Anton, I'm VERY glad you're thinking that way; I wish I could buy you a raki right now. Now, would you put that down on paper? And maybe accept to renaming Plovdiv as "Phillipopolis"? There's also this track of land just south of Smoljan, not much, about 20 acres, do you think that maybe... well, maybe I should PM you about this, you never know how many Fyromian and Pomak agents might be around these threadsLOLSmileEmbarrassedWacko

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 00:44

Neoptolemos, I ment not only Greek fellows in this forum but my Greek friends as well. Of course, you didn't learn them from school. Arguments are as you mentioned -- last vote and fights for Greece. What is wrong? The wrong is that votes for party do not points to their the real number of those people. Here are some explanation why:
1. They do not vote since they are not interested in Greek politics.
2. They are brain washed and consider that to be a Bulgarian (read Tartats) is a shame (remember Grekomani and are brothers from Skopje).
3  The program of this party is bad.
4. The program of this party is nationalistic and those people do not want to wake up the sleeping lion. Because bad peace is better than good war (as Russians say).
5. Because (correct me if I am wrong but as I understood this is what this party did) they allied with gay party which was not a good move and led to political death of the party from the very begining.
6. They are just affraid to vote for this party.
These are example of explanations why they didn't get enough votes.

And I can find a few more explanations. They voted for a party in which a friend of a friend was a candidate; they where bored to go and vote... etc. The fact is that if you belong to a suppressed minority and your rights are not being respected then the elections is the best opportunity for you to have your voice heard! So you go and vote for the party that tries to fight for you and your rights. And what's even better, you voice your concerns/opinions and at the same time you keep your anonymity, since your vote is secret.
Therefore, if there was a 100,000-200,000 strong, (suppressed) "Macedonian" minority in Greek Macedonia, their party would get a lot more than 3,000 votes there. If you don't agree with this then what can I say...

Then tell me how we should call them.

Bulgarians, maybe, ahm? Wink They speak slavonic language close to Bulgarian (not Serbian or Croatian) and were Bulgarians 100 years before.  I am sure you will not consider them as Macedonians, am I right?

You are right, I (and Greeks in general) can't call them just Macedonians. It wouldn't make sense. I can call them Slavo-Macedonians though. As for calling them Bulgarians, if they want it I have no problem with it! Moreover, given today's excellent relationships between Greece and Bulgaria, I believe that  the Greek State would be ok with it as well. The "problem" is that they want to be called "Macedonians".

However, from what you said, they say in the movie that "Bulgarians" in Greece are "afraid to speak their own language outdoors". So I ask you, why are they afraid? What will happen to them if they speak Bulgarian?
Most likely nothing bad.
I'm glad you recognize that.

But what does Greek government do to explain this to them? There is no need to understand Bulgarian to see graffities in this movie, saying "death to Bulgarians". What do Greek officials do remove them? Where are schools in Bulgarian language? Why the only church that was sponsored by Skopje was closed before it was built? Do you think it is normal situation?

Graffities - There are graffities everywhere in Greece, pro/against politicians (or other individuals), political parties, teams, against the police and so on.  I don't like it either, but that's the reality. **
Schools in Bulgarian language - Let's first agree on the nature and size of the minority and then we can talk about minority schools.
Church - Never heard about it so I can't comment.

But instead of attempts to fix the situation what I see is permanent denial of Greece to recognize this (and other) minorities. Apart, maybe, work immigrants since 1990s.
One case is the Turkish minority, which can be discussed in another thread. The other case is with the "Slavophones" in Macedonia, which is a complex situation and, as I said before, we have to openly discuss about it at some point. Do you know any other minority that wants to be recognised as such? (If yes, you can raise the issue on the thread "Greece only full democracy in SE Europe")

**FYI I'll translate what the grafities shown in the clip mean (in order of appearance lol)
Our only "homeland" is our childhood years
Sh!t to the fascists
Makedonia is Greek
... to change what we are
Greeks you are and you look like! (whoever wrote it is not a Greek nationalist) LOL
In one wall it's written:
Death to Bulgarians (finally we reached to this LOL)
Vitsi 31-08-03
Maria I love you  Big%20smile

And the two at the end (by the road)
Slavs out of Makedonia
Makedonia = Ellas
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 04:31
Mortaza, are you sure that all Greeks left Turkey? Every country in Balkans claims there are minorities of their nation in neighboring countries and claims absolute absence of minorities in their own lands.

There are some at istanbul, gkeada and bozcaada, but they are not much numbered. In Turkey, It is different for greeks, jews and armenians. These are accepted minorities by Turkey(Sorry pomaks dont accepted.) They have their leaders.(Their religious leaders accepted as leader of  minority too, like ottoman times.)

What to do know for the mufti issue ? You want a Turk,Pomac or Roma mufti ?
Dont forget that Muslim theological schools on Greece are open when the Orthodox school in Turkey is closed since 70s.

Not excatly true, Infact patriatch closed that school, because he dont want to enter turkish univercity system. Do you know reason? Because, They dont want females at their schools.  They can open their school If he accept Turkish rules for every school.
or in the other visue of the moufte.Turkish demands to hold elections to elect a Mufte exceed normal practice, on the one hand because no faith democratically elects its religious leader, and also because the Mufti is at the same time a public servant with official legal and other responsibilities on issues of family and inheritance law. 

Oh please, If greece care for serving muslims so much, she would care other muslims than WT minority.(Anyway, did she build a mosque at athen.)

Do you seriously believe it?Do you think that Greek in Polis left because they imagined a better life in a poor Greece of 50's?They were driven out._ Of course some treaties signed meant nothing for our neighbours...

They are attacked from turks, but armenians were attacked too.. I should add goverment accepted her responsibility, and give some money. After than this(absolutely not next day, because both greece and patriatch did not let them immigrate to cyprus.),  They slowly leave istanbul. Armenians numbered less(And most probably liked less by fasists) stayed Istanbul.

Turks at WT were attacked too, I dont remember any money given them by greece but they did not leave greece, mostly because  they are farmers. It was not an exile and they did not see more fasists harasment than armenians.

i don't want to be rude but i think that Mortaza has hijacked this thread..
Mortaza look at the title of the threadErmm

It is hijacked before me, I did not open this topic. Topic was already there(I only replied.) and no, you are not rude.

and these  ethnic groups  are these that Turkey want to vaptize as Turkish.
20.000 Roma
30.000 Pomaks
50.000 Turks

as you see Mortaza, Greek state record the recognized minorities in Greece.

my friend look at numbers, these are not records but estimations. Even I ready to accept this numbers as records, can you show me a formal govermental page about these numbers?
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 04:55
Originally posted by Bulldog

And who told you that Roma and Pomaks want to identified as Turks ?
Recently the President of the Roma in Greek Thrace sent a letter to the media and specially to American Embassy  and quoted theirs complaints as about them(US) and Turks because  put it all in the same (Turkish) bag.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 08:51
Originally posted by konstantinius

Yes, yes, yes, damn right, you've said it. Why did it take so long?

Because it is obvious for me and I just realized that many people connectrecognition of minorities with territorial claims.

Anton, I'm VERY glad you're thinking that way; I wish I could buy you a raki right now. Now, would you put that down on paper?

What should we put on a paper? Something like, countries recognizeminorities of each other but recognize present borders of countries? I would agree with that.

And maybe accept to renaming Plovdiv as "Phillipopolis"?
Or, maybe, as Pulpudeva? Tongue I don't mind if you call it Pulpudeva. And don't understand when some people correct me when I say Solun.

How about renaming of Vasiliada to Zagorichane back?

There's also this track of land just south of Smoljan, not much, about 20 acres, do you think that maybe... well, maybe I should PM you about this, you never know how many Fyromian and Pomak agents might be around these threadsLOLSmileEmbarrassedWacko

I didn't getyour point here.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 08:53
So what has Turkey got to do with this? its not like Turkey is in Greece forcing Roma with a gun to their head to say their Turks.

Turkey didn't even call the Roma in Turkey Turks, they used to be called "Cingene" to be more polite they thought "Roma" might be better, then the Roma complained saying, guy's Turks cut the names our mother tongue is Turkish were muslim we just have a different lifestyle. So I don't find these claims that Turkey is trying to force Roma into becomming Turks credible because they didn't even do it in Turkey let alone Greece.

Plus the Turkish minority is only 60-100,000 as you say, its a small minority, they're hardly going to form a separatist movement and cause any problem for the Greek army.

Edited by Bulldog - 14-Jan-2007 at 08:55
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>