Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attila the Hun-is he Asian or Indo-European?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attila the Hun-is he Asian or Indo-European?
    Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 15:40
Originally posted by Achilles

Master Blaster, what is your evidence on that? Maybe Attila was taller than average, or smaller than average. What if his mother was actually say a Goth, or Alani, or a Slav. We dont really know

It is generally accepted by historians -although little is known of his childhood- that both his mother and father were Huns of Central Asian Turkic stock.

He was 5'5" because that is what I recall reading in my World History class in senior high school.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 09:00
The history of the Hun's origins had been mystery since the first discription of Scythians by Herodotus. In a book by John Man called 'Attila-The Barbarian King Who Challenged Rome', copyright 2005; the author is keen to cite various historians. The Gothic Jordanes mentions the mating of witches with evil spirits. Much later in the 18'th century, Joseph de Guignes being an interpreter for oriental languages at the Royal Library in Paris and later a member of the Royal Society of London, wrote five volumes of 'Histoire generale des Huns, des Turcs et des Mogols'. He tried to prove taht all eastern peoples - Chinese, Turks, Mongols and Huns were descendants of Noah. Another aspect of his works took a stronger hold on academia though, that Attila's Huns were descendants of the Hsiung-Nu (Xiongnu). It was the first time that western historians located the Huns from the ancient Khun (Huns). Gibbon borrowed this explaination and beleieved the same people who threatened Rome were the also responsible for threatening China. Rene Grousset took it matter of factly that the Xiongnu were the Huns. However, this only raised more inquisitive questions. The research on any connection became hotly debated by scholars.

Eventually researchers noticed that the Kurgans (burials grounds) of the Xiongnu were sophisticated and rich compared to the impoverished ones of the Huns of Europe. Still nothing conclusive has been established. Some of the ancients did mention tribes that may have fit the picture of the Huns. Ptolemy mentions the 'Khoinoi' which sounds like Kuni or Hun. Keep in mind that other historians from the Roman period also wrote descriptions. However, they did not know where they came from or possible relations wtih the Xiongnu.

If we are to look at the languages of the Huns during Atilla's time and similarities in existence today, then we came see a connection in some important names. His uncle Octar is similar to the Turkish Oktor, meaning powerful. Attila's father Mundzuk means 'Pearl'. Uncle Aybars translates into moon panther. A wife Erekan is known as 'beautiful wife'. Whether these similarities are strong enough to prove a proto-Turk connection is open to debate.

Eventually the Huns of europe had very little if any conncetion to China, in contrast to the Xiongnu. But they could have been a remnant of migrating tribes of Xiongnu that eventually found their way into the Roman world. Now lets discuss the Hunnnic appearance by the historical accounts of Greeks and Romans. Greeks came up with the word barbarian. They described the tribes of the steppe as speaking an incomprehensible language that sounds like 'bar bar'. Back then you were either a civilized Greek or Roman or an outsider with 'no civilization'.

Later the Roman Ammianus Marcellinus, who never saw a Hun, says the Huns had thick necks, and so ugly that they might be two legged animals. The Goth Jordanes, years later mentions that Huns were foul puny tribesmen, offspring of withces and unclean spirits. Not hard to note the bias by such writers. The Huns traversed much ground to reach Europe. In that time they kept some old rituals. Like self inflicted ritual face wounds and cranial deformation. The later being a rare form of special social status shared by other peoples of the ancient world. Religion wise they most likely shared in the belief of the uber diety Tangri.

Since the Huns didn't leave a written account of their history we are left with impressiosn of Attila through the writtenwords of a few men. The Byzantine ambassador Priscus is one of them. He met Attila...I'll continue to post more after I finish reading the book. p.s. -excuse my spelling mistakes since I don't have the patience right now to fix 'em. lol!    

Edited by Seko - 27-Aug-2006 at 23:02
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 12:28
Thanks Seko
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 12:43
You are welcome.   Let me know if I forget to add to this topic later. 

You're posts are much appreciated and free from nationalistic jargon.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 09:12
Originally posted by Kids

"When you said asiatic you do not mean mongoloid, don't you?"

Interestingly, according to ancient Chinese records about Xiongnu, Xiongnu were described as people with blue eyes. So, I guess if Xiongnu, who lived closed to East Asia, had Indo-European appearance, there is no doubt that later Huns (whether they are related to Xiongu or not) must have Mongoloid characters.

The belief that the Huns were the Xiongnu, or descendants of Xiongnu, is a very popular belief. It is said that one half of the Xiongnu migrated southwards, while the majority of them migrated north-west.
raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote raygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 03:54
Hi, if the Xiongnu were indeed Huns, then can anyone explain why they attack China in the far east and Rome in the west but not the civilizations in between, like Persia, Tibet and other Turkic tribes? Or did they?

What happened there? Was Persia too strong for them? Were they not interested with the resources in that region? Did their migration route take them away from these places?

Something must account for their non-apperance in that region... (if they did appear there, I hope for some source, thks)
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 04:04

It is well documented that the Huns repeatedly trounced Sassanid Persia and even took over a chunk of northwestern India.  Sources?  Just about any book on the time period.  The Huns pretty much overran most of Eurasia in the early centuries A.D.  Historians don't give them too much credit for it because unlike the Mongols, Hun "conquests" were generally little more than bandit raids.  The Huns lacked organization and were not good at establishing lasting states.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 09:17
Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

It is well documented that the Huns repeatedly trounced Sassanid Persia and even took over a chunk of northwestern India.  Sources?  Just about any book on the time period.  The Huns pretty much overran most of Eurasia in the early centuries A.D.  Historians don't give them too much credit for it because unlike the Mongols, Hun "conquests" were generally little more than bandit raids.  The Huns lacked organization and were not good at establishing lasting states.

could be or is it possible that they weren't interested in establshing a empire mabey booty was enough for them
mabey they saw an empire something with borders as a prison we all jnow that nomads are free humans.

why make an empire if you can raid every empire you come across
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 20:02
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Slavs, are also from central asia and don't look particularly mongoloid.

If nobody else corrected you, I will.Slavs didn't come from central Asia.They've been native to Europe as long as germanics, celts, greeks, etc.

It's remarkable how nazi propaganda lives on...''mongoloid'' slavs and ''nordic'' germanics...LOL
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 14:29
Attila's accounts continued.

Priscus was a scholar and writer who wrote volumns on the Byzantine History. He also met Attila in person.

He described Attila as being an ambitious, moody, ruthless yet guile leader. Who was generous in friendship and terrifying in opposition.

He narrated a famous story about the events of an attempted assasination on Attila by the byzantine court.   

Later the book (mentioned in my previous post) goes into detail on the battle at the Catalaunian Plains. Attila's return to the land of modern day Hungary and an attempt to storm Rome. That seige failed due to good bargaining power of Pope Leo I. Attila died in his sleep after his wedding night. A hemmorage known as 'oesophageal varices' can occur from years of drinking alcohol. The author of the book hints that Attila's swollen veins burst without warning and produced a rush of blood into his lungs while asleep.

Edited by Seko - 31-Aug-2006 at 14:30
Jeru View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jeru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 15:18
Originally posted by Seko

The Byzantine ambassador Priscus is one of them. He met Attila...I'll continue to post more after I finish reading the book. p.s. -excuse my spelling mistakes since I don't have the patience right now to fix 'em. lol!    
Priscus was not an ambassador,he was a Greek sophist and historian that accompanied Maximin the ambassador of Theodosius II to a meeting with Attila in 448.Is the book you read the translation of J.Bury?I havent read it yet,if someone could please recommend any book based on Attila i would be most gratefull.Thanks in advance.
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 15:23
Raygun, If i remeber correctly Attila and Bleda infact did launch a campaign against Persia/Parthia but were defeated and so turned back
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 15:53
Priscus accompanied Maximinus, Vigilas, and Byzantine assistants; Edika, Orestes (Hun representatives) and more assistants. That mission of a peace offer to Byzantium was the one that returned to Attila with a hatched plot. Priscus was not privy to the plot. That is why I called Priscus an ambassador earlier in the first post. Though his writings are the key here.

The book is by John Man, not J. Bury.

Edited by Seko - 31-Aug-2006 at 15:55
Jeru View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jeru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 16:14
I've only read a bit about his interview with Onegesius and this is what made me intersted:

"He considered his new life among the Scythians better than his old life among the Romans, and the reasons he gave were as follows: "After war the Scythians live in inactivity, enjoying what they have got, and not at all, or very little, harassed. The Romans, on the other hand, are in the first place very liable to perish in war, as they have to rest their hopes of safety on others, and are not allowed, on account of their tyrants to use arms. And those who use them are injured by the cowardice of their generals, who cannot support the conduct of war. But the condition of the subjects in time of peace is far more grievous than the evils of war, for the exaction of the taxes is very severe, and unprincipled men inflict injuries on others, because the laws are practically not valid against all classes. A transgressor who belongs to the wealthy classes is not punished for his injustice, while a poor man, who does not understand business, undergoes the legal penalty, that is if he does not depart this life before the trial, so long is the course of lawsuits protracted, and so much money is expended on them. The climax of the misery is to have to pay in order to obtain justice. For no one will give a court to the injured man unless he pay a sum of money to the judge and the judge's clerks."

Translation by J.Bury.

Priscus writings seem very objective.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 16:51
A similar quote is in the book I read. The author admits that many of Priscus' quotes are translated by R.C. Blockley in 1981-83.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 00:56
Seko, it was also wellknown that he may have been poisoned. Just a side note. But i do believe that the drinking killed him.
monechee View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote monechee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 04:51
Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

thats true, northwestern india was radied many times and city like delhi was destroyed a lot of times.

As for the hungrians , even if they were from mongolia or turkis origin does not matter, thousand years of mixing with the european makes them european.
even in one generation you can see the difference of mixed marriage, you can see a Chinese-white caucasian mixed person and see how difficult it is to trace roots.
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 02:59
Hi!

The huns didn't have any(or just a few) agrikulure, or large silk factories (for exemple). So they had to move to te sattled countryes to trade with them for this products in the big border cityes. (or by the wall in China)

And the nomad heads tried to squeez out better trade conditions with the persians, greeks (f. e. in Sirmium/Bulgary/ for nomadian goods(leathers, horses etc.) with their army. And by any resist they cuold have those things of course cheaper:-) with weapons.
In Europe the huns needed mostly gold for their horses.

TSZ

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 13:12
the nomds had a few farmer societies well not realy sociieties more like a few farms a own and an Iron worker mostly to support the ironworks oh yeah also minners round the altai region I think
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 12:00
Originally posted by Raider

Attila, the Hun plastic action figure
You can order via internet

LOL...But they were more forming the cavalry sections of their huge armies...The infantry mainly was of Germannic tribes.Gepids, Ostrogoths, Skirs etc..
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>