Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attila the Hun-is he Asian or Indo-European?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attila the Hun-is he Asian or Indo-European?
    Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 12:05
AFAIK, numismatic relates to coins, and perhaps currency in general.
Is that picture taken from a coin? If so, what coind found where and dated to what peroid?
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 16:04
Originally posted by Afghanan

I think this is the most accurate portrayal of him via numismatic evidence:

That looks like a Roman. What coin is it from? Where is the rest of it? 

I think the Roman description of him is far more accurate and consistant with his origins.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 16:29
Weren't the Romans obsessivly clean shaven?
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 17:34

depends on period, tehre were emperors with full beards. Hadrian (?)

Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 20:21

I've heard that Attila the Hun was originally from what is now the Central Asian nation of Uzbekistan, and that he was of Turkic stock. At that time, I also recall reading and viewing on the History Channel that Caucasoid peoples had migrated to Central Asia and as far east as the Chinese province of East Turkistan where they had intermingled with the Mongoloid peoples -so it would not come as a surprise to me if Attila had possessed both Mongoloid and Caucasoid physical characteristics.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 04:32
Originally posted by Zagros

I think this is the most accurate portrayal of him via numismatic evidence:

That looks like a Roman.

I wonder how many "Romans" have you ever seen Confused
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 10:18

This is Most Definately Not Numismatic Evidence!

Unfortunately I am Not an expert in the coinage of this particular time period.(405-453) To my knowledge there are No contemporary Visual depictions of Attila the Hun on any Coinage of that time!

The above depiction is Definantely Post Roman, and most probably from a Medal or a Cameo made in the 15th or 16th centuries. Depicting famous historical figures in such a fashion at that time was very popular and common.

The closest thing to a portrait of a Hun we have in Numismatics, are the coins of the Nezak Huns or White Huns or otherwise known as Hephthalites. I even own a Hun Coin..... Here have a look...

HUNNIC TRIBES. Nezak Huns. Anonymous Group II. Circa 515-650 AD. AR Drachm (27mm, 3.19 gm). Kabul mint.
Obverse: Bust right of Hun King? with winged bull's head crown.
Reverse: Fire altar with attendants; wheel symbols in fields.(poor condition)
Gbl, Hunnen Em. 198. VF.

Here is a link to the best Hephthalite Coin Website on the Internet...

http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/huns/huns.html

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:08
It is numismatic evidence, I actually posted the coin a few pages before this page, yet nobody ever saw it unfortunately.  Here it is again:

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 22:09
Originally posted by Gargoyle

This is Most Definately Not Numismatic Evidence!

Unfortunately I am Not an expert in the coinage of this particular time period.(405-453) To my knowledge there are No contemporary Visual depictions of Attila the Hun on any Coinage of that time!

The above depiction is Definantely Post Roman, and most probably from a Medal or a Cameo made in the 15th or 16th centuries. Depicting famous historical figures in such a fashion at that time was very popular and common.

The closest thing to a portrait of a Hun we have in Numismatics, are the coins of the Nezak Huns or White Huns or otherwise known as Hephthalites. I even own a Hun Coin..... Here have a look...

HUNNIC TRIBES. Nezak Huns. Anonymous Group II. Circa 515-650 AD. AR Drachm (27mm, 3.19 gm). Kabul mint.
Obverse: Bust right of Hun King? with winged bull's head crown.
Reverse: Fire altar with attendants; wheel symbols in fields.(poor condition)
Gbl, Hunnen Em. 198. VF.

Here is a link to the best Hephthalite Coin Website on the Internet...

http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/huns/huns.html

The Nezak aka Ephtalite Huns were told by other Historains that they do not look like other Huns.

I don't know if that is a good enough comparison.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 02:17

It is numismatic evidence, I actually posted the coin a few pages before this page, yet nobody ever saw it unfortunately.  Here it is again:

When and where it was made?

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 12:21
Definitely Roman period, possibly post-Roman period.  Not sure on the date, but I could find out if I do a little research.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 13:54
Googling I've found this:

The legend says: ATTILA FLAGELLVM DEI,  Attila Scourge of God (in Latin)and it seems to be not a coin but a medallion made in 16th century in Italy.

I'm sorry for you but the only eyewitnes describing Attila seems to have been Priscus. Other descriptions or representations of him are pure phantasies.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 08:53

Excellent work Leonardo. I had feeling that it was not a coin, but some kind of a medallion!

Originally posted by Gargoyle

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 09:14

i believe that this topic is wrong. First there is no Indo European race.

It is an old story which one particuraly nation made and it has prooven mistaken. I have read all the above, i don't know the subject very well,but i believe Attilas' origins are from far east. Mongolia. Western mongolia. I have read an article. I am trying to find it.

Samos national guard.

260 days left.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 06:02
Originally posted by perikles

It is an old story which one particuraly nation made and it has prooven mistaken. I have read all the above, i don't know the subject very well,but i believe Attilas' origins are from far east. Mongolia. Western mongolia. I have read an article. I am trying to find it.

same as were the turks originate from
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 16:28
Originally posted by perikles

Your posts are full of such utter nonsense that my brain hurts from reading them.

Attila the Hun was not from Mongolia. His people came from CENTRAL ASIA - from the modern day nation of UZBEKISTAN - and they were a TURKIC people!
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 19:08
I am not sure anyone really, truely, absolutely knows for sure what Attila looked like or what the modern day equivelent of his people are. The only thing we have to base our opinions on is Priscus, and even he isnt all that descriptive. So we cant say he is for sure Turkic, or for sure Mongoloid, or for sure "Indo-European"(I presume caucasian is ment here). He is simply a Hun
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 19:46
Huns were a TURKIC people.

Attila the Hun looked very much TURKIC and stood about 5 feet 5 inches which was about average size for men at that time - even in Europe. As the world has progressed, human beings have gone through tremendous changes, and now, more than ever due to their diets, humans are taller than ever before.
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 05:31
Huns are Turkic bu todays hungarians are not.
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 15:05
Master Blaster, what is your evidence on that? Maybe Attila was taller than average, or smaller than average. What if his mother was actually say a Goth, or Alani, or a Slav. We dont really know
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>