Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Macedonian language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Macedonian language
    Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 16:09
Originally posted by theMacedonian2

No I only said that the word belonged to someone that lived in the balkans log before all the rest came (or derived from).

This someone were the authochthonus inhabitants in that case Wink

Iapetoi, Pelasgoi, Leleges, Aperandoi maybe?

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 16:14

Explain to me the antropology of the word

Phoinikos...(Macedonian flag for commencing an attack)

I don't undertand your question at all.

Φοίνικος is the possesive form of the dorian word Φοινιξ (ξ + ο becomes κ in dorian languages) which is a palm tree.

E.g Ο καρπός του φοίνικος = The fruit of the palm tree

Edited by Flipper - 16-Dec-2006 at 16:40

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 01:14
Originally posted by Flipper

I don't undertand your question at all.Φοίνικος is the possesive form of the dorian word Φοινιξ (ξ + ο becomes κ in dorian languages) which is a palm tree.E.g Ο καρπός του φοίνικος = The fruit of the palm tree

Flip the neighbour mean the Donski crops.Read the below link

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/similarities.html

the specific article is contribute in all FYROMian web sites    
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 02:53
A great article regarding the Macedonian language.

100 names from the ancient Macedonia history.

You will find the etymology and a small desciption

KINGS OF MACEDON AND DIADOCHI

1. ALEXANDROS m Ancient Greek (ALEXANDER Latinized)
Pronounced: al-eg-ZAN-dur
From the Greek name Alexandros, which meant defending men from Greek alexein to defend, protect, help and aner man (genitive andros). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. The name was borne by five kings of Macedon.

2. PHILIPPOS m Ancient Greek (PHILIP Latinized)
Pronounced: FIL-ip
From the Greek name Philippos which means friend of horses, composed of the elements philos friend and hippos horse. The name was borne by five kings of Macedon, including Philip II the father of Alexander the Great.

2. AEROPOS m Ancient Greek, Greek Mythology
Male form of Aerope who in Greek mythology was the wife of King Atreus of Mycenae. Aeropos was also the son of Aerope, daughter of Kepheus: Ares, the Tegeans say, mated with Aerope, daughter of Kepheus (king of Tegea), the son of Aleos. She died in giving birth to a child, Aeropos, who clung to his mother even when she was dead, and sucked great abundance of milk from her breasts. Now this took place by the will of Ares. (Pausanias 8.44.) The name was borne by two kings of Macedon

QUEENS AND ROYAL FAMILY

23. EURYDIKE f Greek Mythology (EURYDICE Latinized)
Means wide justice from Greek eurys wide and dike justice. In Greek myth she was the wife of Orpheus. Her husband tried to rescue her from Hades, but he failed when he disobeyed the condition that he not look back upon her on their way out. Name of the mother of Philip II of Macedon.

24. BERENIKE f Ancient Greek (BERENICE Latinized)
Pronounced: ber-e-NIE-see
Means bringing victory from pherein to bring and nike victory. This name was common among the Ptolemy ruling family of Egypt.

GENERALS, SOLDIERS, PHILOSOPHERS AND OTHERS

28. PARMENION m ancient Greek
The most famous General of Philip and Alexander the great. Another famous bearer of this name was the olympic winner Parmenion of Mitiline. His name derives from the name Parmenon + the ending -ion used to note descendancy. It means the "descedant of Parmenon".

29. PEUKESTAS m Ancient Greek
He saved Alexander the Great in India. One of the most known Macedonians. His name derives from Πευκής (= sharp) + the Doric ending -tas. Its full meaning is the "one who is sharp".

30. ARISTOPHANES m Ancient Greek
Derived from the Greek elements aristos best and phanes appearing. The name of one of Alexander the Greats personal body guard who was present during the murder of Cleitus. (Plutarch, Alexander, The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans). This was also the name of a 5th-century BC Athenian playwright.

MACEDONIAN WOMEN

94. ANTIGONE f ancient Greek
Usage: Greek Mythology
Pronounced: an-TIG-o-nee
Means against birth from Greek anti against and gone birth. In Greek legend Antigone was the daughter of Oedipus and Jocasta. King Creon of Thebes declared that her slain brother Polynices was to remain unburied, a great dishonour. She disobeyed and gave him a proper burial, and for this she was sealed alive in a cave. Antigone of Pydna was the mistress of Philotas, the son of Parmenion and commander of Alexander the Greats Companion cavalry (Plutarch, Alexander, The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans).

95. VOULOMAGA (Βουλομάγα) f ancient greek
Derives from greek words "Βούλομαι (=desire) + άγαν (=too much)". Her name is found among donators.

enjoy

Etymology of the 100 most famous ancient Macedonian names

Edited by akritas - 17-Dec-2006 at 03:05
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 02:58
Originally posted by akritas

Originally posted by Flipper

I don't undertand your question at all.Φοίνικος is the possesive form of the dorian word Φοινιξ (ξ + ο becomes κ in dorian languages) which is a palm tree.E.g Ο καρπός του φοίνικος = The fruit of the palm tree

Flip the neighbour mean the Donski crops.Read the below link

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/similarities.html

the specific article is contribute in all FYROMian web sites    

Clap

Thanks Akritas. This is riddiculus. A person who obviously does't have a clue about the Greek language writes things like "The consonant v does not exist in the greek language". LOL

I start to wonder if I should spend more time talking with theMacedonian2. This is a history forum were we should use legible sources.

Now before we see any linguistic texts about greek language written by amateur "historians", lets clear some things up. V is phonetically the letter beta in Greek. In attic it is always pronounced with no changes. In Dorian greek the letter β becomes "θ", "ζ" and "γ" when it is in front of short vocals, e.g. δήχου (βήχω, I cought), Ιφοζούμε (φοβούμαι, I fear), γλέπω (βλέπω, I see). When it occurs twice in a word it is pronounced "μπ" (b) e.g Σάμπα (Σάββατον, Saturday).

Obviously we know our grammar very well, so please we're not convinced with Donski articles. The http://www.historyofmacedonia.org site could be called nukethegreeksfromthefaceofearth.com easily so please. This is a serious forum.

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2015 at 02:42
Hi brothers!SmileAll consonants exist.We solved it 2500-2800 years before.Reason was a trading.Demotic has had too much signs for it.Trading products needed simple way of record& marking.That's why only consonants are on inscriptions from jars.They are product code=bar code of ancient merchants.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2015 at 18:07
Looks like Greek to me...but hell what do I know.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 00:21
I do not know either C.V. but my back does not ails me anymore!?!All languages looks like one of them C.V.!That's a right answer,correct one.Regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112