Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish words in your language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish words in your language
    Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 00:34

Please, lead us to the documents you're referring to (especially the exact text).

Avestan does not have any 'L'; because most of the modern Persian words consisting of 'L' were used by 'R':

'rem' or at some places 'raam' ('aa' as in 'water') --> modern Persian 'lam'.

Or Old English 'brothel' --> modern English 'brother'

Proto - Altaic: pir --> modern Turkic 'bil'.

It's normal in different languages (not only in Persian, but also in Altaic, Sami and Indo-European) to shift between 'R' and 'L'.

Anyhow, Persians write 'q' (ghaf), but pronounce it as 'gh'. In fact, most of the time, Iranians didn't distinguish between 'kh' and 'q' when I spoke Turkmen. I've only seen Kurds who use, sometimes, 'q' in its correct form.

Proff. Ruhlen is not saying all languages have got a unique root. The books has different chapters on different language groups.

Anyhow, I'm still waiting for the original text to see the roots you're talking about.

Edited by gok_toruk - 02-Dec-2006 at 00:37
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 21:38
Sound Q:

Just in Tehran and some big cities that has been influenced under Tehranain dialect q is pronounced gh. for those who spoke persian official or in central part of Iran, q is pronounced like semitic form. In yazd and Kerman it is pronounced like qkh.Azeri and Armenians pronounced it like glotal g.In Turkmen language it is very similar to a glotal but abrupt kh.

And now Sabun and sandali:

Moin dictionary:
Sandali = [Sandal + i][Attributive adjective, compound noun] (look sandal)...........

Sandal= [Arabic form of sandal][plant]......

Dehkhoda:

Sandal=[noun][Arabic form of Sandal originated from sanskrit Chandanam][tree]......

Moin:

Sabun=[Arabic form of greek word Sapon][chemistry].....

meriam webster:

Saop= Etymology: Middle English sope, from Old English sApe;

and this link belongs to "the pharmaceutical Journal"

http://www.pjonline.com/editorial1999/19991218/articles/soap.html

Proff. Ruhlen is not saying all languages have got a unique root. The books has different chapters on different language groups.

http://ehl.santafe.edu/ruhlen.htm

in this site nostartic group of languages is mentioned along with other groups.

Any way he uses extensively from comparative linguistics ad this method without historical evidances of some words is completely doubtful.
How just by comparative methods without access to any historical records  or help from other languages it could be possible to find relationship between "five " in english and " panj" in persian or "hundred" in English and "sad" in persian.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 03:51
 Hungarians are turkic origine.  I dont want to  add many similar words but I want to let you know about a very famous Turkic sentence: First one is Hungarian then Turkish:

"a zsebemben sok alma van"
(Cebimde ok elma var)

which means in English "I have manyy apples in my pocket"

Recenty I was invited to a reception at the Austrian Embassy in Ankara where I met a very old college of mine the old Turkish Consil to Finland. He told me another sentence in Finnish that I already swollowed my tonque. I knew that Finns were also a Turkic tribe but I didnt had the change to search the similarities.

MINUN/Minun UNAOHTAMATON NUKKU SINUN/Sinun OLKOON
(Minun unaohtamaton nukku sinun olkoon"
In Turkish:
BENİM UNUTULMAYAN UYKUM SENİN OLSUN
"Benim unutulmayan uykum senin olsun"

German(Mein unvergessbarer Traum Dein sein)
English: (My not forgettable dream be yours"

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 05:11
Just a quick note, Hungarians today are not of Turkic origin, the Huns are but most Hungarians are not actually Hun's, however, their language has similarities with Turkic due to this historical connection.

Fin's also are not Turkic, however, due to Ural-Altaic there may be some linguistic similarities.

Anyway, thanks for sharing these two sentances, I also was very surprised.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 07:16

I really appreciate this because I've got to revise my list and also do more study.

Proff. Ruhlen does not accomplish his work
 only by comparative method. When it comes to constructing old structure, you do use the old models.

Anyway, about Persian 'sad', I should say it's derived Proto Indo-European 'sata' which mean 'a hundred'. I've found this when when studying language loanwords in Finn. A few old Indo-European words, including 'sata' are in use today which are the results of the old defeat by European people which made Finn move northward.

Now, Persian 'panj' is from the Proto Indo - European 'penkwe'. The fact is that, different geographical groups (although of the same origin) can develop their own vocabulary (mostly based on the proto plateau). In Altaic, compare Turkic 'bir' to Mongolian 'qurban'.

I've been told people from Isfahan, Yazd or Kerman pronounce 'q' because of the heavy Arabic influence there. Right or wrong, 'q' is a later development in modern Persian.

Thanks again for the clarification...

Edited by gok_toruk - 03-Dec-2006 at 07:22
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 08:58

what I find interesting is that you have found a great number of words that are similar but all are nouns.
I think nouns are absolutely necessary to convey rudimentary thoughts with the use of gestures. The basic pronouns and verbs would be necessary to convey more complex thoughts. Of the more essential phrases perhaps, I want, bring me, show me, take me,I have (for example) plus the commonly used nouns would allow some level of communication.Perhaps with a few phrases a person could make himself understood in most situations.
Has anyone found phrases like Hydi common in the discussed languages, I can't think of any ?
That is why I think that the nouns were the most important part of their vocabulary and would allow some dialogue in commerce.    
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 23:57

Well, if it comes to verbs, for sure the similarity would be the minimum since it is believed verbs took over later; simply because there must be first simple words and meanings to let the verbs point to them.

Anyhow, I've got to think more to see about verbs, but these are what I remember for the time being:

Persian 'ast' = German 'ist' = English 'is'

Persian 'nist' = German 'nisht' = English ?

Since modern Persian is heavily influenced by Arabic, I need more time to look for same verbs. So, see you...

Edited by gok_toruk - 06-Dec-2006 at 04:48
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 14:39
for my last journey in Turkey i have noticed that we have aslo kitap turks mean book the Greeks means small notebook and is kitapi.
Also Tambela which means sign. We use it exactly the same. Also pilaf we call it pilafi. Is the rice.

Edited by perikles - 16-Dec-2006 at 14:40
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Great Khan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Great Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 17:52

in bulgarian:

aman,divan,tavan,divane,kior kiutuk,jam,shkembe chorba and i will think of more
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 22:32
Originally posted by Alparslan1071

I want to find turkish words in old Ottoman Empire land citizens.

In Greece, it's loukoumi.  The Persian confection ahbisa (jelly) was the ancestor of lokum.  Bulldog? Wink

Edited by Hellios - 30-Dec-2006 at 02:21
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 00:19
I was thinking and researching about it but no success at all.

In Spanish there is not a single word from Turk that I am aware of.

Spanish has an important influence from Arab, Hebrew and other oriental languages, as well as from French, German, Italian, English, Native American tonges and others, but I can't find any turkish influence at all.

If someone knows something, let me know.

Penguin

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 00:29
What about yoghurt? I have heard that its roots are of Turkish origin, though I am without any relevant references.

And bulgur? Anybody has it in their own language?

Baklava?

Edited by Kapikulu - 30-Dec-2006 at 00:30
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 02:22
Originally posted by Kapikulu

What about yoghurt? I have heard that its roots are of Turkish origin, though I am without any relevant references.

The word is Turkish but cultured milk products have been produced for at least 4,500 years elsewhere, like India for example.

Originally posted by Kapikulu

Baklava?

I think filo is of central Asian Turkic origin - yuvgha became yufka (a single sheet of phyllo in modern Turkish).

Edited by Hellios - 30-Dec-2006 at 02:26
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 02:35
Originally posted by pinguin

In Spanish there is not a single word from Turk that I am aware of.

La palabra yogur procede del trmino turco yoğurt, que a su vez deriva del verbo yoğurmak.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 03:38
Originally posted by Hellios

The word is Turkish but cultured milk products have been produced for at least 4,500 years elsewhere, like India for example.

Of course I was meaning yoghurt as a wordLOL

Originally posted by Hellios

I think filo is of central Asian Turkic origin - yuvgha became yufka (a single sheet of phyllo in modern Turkish).

Filo in the modern Anatolian Turkish means fleet :)...But I get what you mean.

And further pursuant to your post to Pinguin in Spanish, I am truly amazed at your linguistic knowledgeClap

Edited by Kapikulu - 30-Dec-2006 at 03:40
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 11:24
Dear Friends all over the world I wish you a happy New Year.

I add some Turkish words used by old Yugoslavia.
 Uydurma = asparagas, something not true=To ye neşto uydurma = It is asparagas
şenluce= şenlik= fest
paramparda= parampara= broken into many small parts
Ekonomaliye= (maliye)= finance
Aşikovanye i sevdisanye= aşk ve sevmek= amore and love
Hem.... hem = hem malo para, hem stiju kasno
başka= başka= other
cin= cin= Ghiny
şeytan=şeytan= devil
başka ye cin, başka ye şeytan= Ghine is deifferent, devil is deifferent
hava=hava = Air
kabadahiya=Kabadayı= shin head, a man without couse, a rough man
hara= hara= ronsom
yastık/pillow, yorgan, fincan/cup, kaşuka/spoon, peşkir/towel,  naluna/a kind of woodenshoe used in Hamams, cupriya/bridge,  sahatkula(clock turm),
Allah rahmet eyleye= Allah may save him
Bayram şerif mubarek ola= Happy and merry Holidays
Akşam-sabah hayrola= May day and night be save
Allah razi ola= May Allah mercy
and so on there are 5000 Turkish words used by old Yugos. 

One day a Bosniak met a Serb and said without Turkish words we can not sleep, we can not eat,
The Serb responded quickly "Yok Bre" (No Sir)
Yok =Turkish No
Bre= Turkish Man, Mate

I wish all  good Turkish words.

Edited by Tosun Saral - 30-Dec-2006 at 11:27
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 19:30
Turkish Delight seems to be a cause of controversy so I've opened another post about it.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16806&PID=312645#312645
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

chicagogeorge View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 17:19
In Greek we have many Turkish loan words.

Some off the top of my head;

Tzami=window
Breeki= coffee pot
Hadie= Hurryup
Aman= Oh my god
loukoumi= sweet

Just to name a few
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 18:17
Originally posted by chicagogeorge

In Greek we have many Turkish loan words.

Some off the top of my head;

Tzami=window
Breeki= coffee pot
Hadie= Hurryup
Aman= Oh my god
loukoumi= sweet

Just to name a few
 Sorry I got confused, what are Tzami and Breeki representing in Turkish?
Also looks like Haydi should be a Greek word use d by Turks.
 Aman and Loukoum are both Arabic.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:24
Well, turks also have lots of words borrowed from Greeks, actually from Latin lang. which can be considered as Greek. Finns were never Turkic or Turkish. They were just Fin-Ugors, and as far as I know we (Turks) had mix with them in Huns Great Migration. They actually, some stayed with huns and some movet do Finland. I have also heard, which I am not sure about this one, that when Finns moved to norths-west, Rus tribes were pushed to move into Huns. But again, it may be just another myth - I would like to know more about this.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>