Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hygiene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kynk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kynk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hygiene
    Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 00:52
Hello Everyone,

I have had a hard time with this one: I need information on hygiene practices in Precolonial Africa. Particualrly Feminine Hygiene.  I understand each group/regioin had different practices, but I can't find anything out there.  Any suggestions on where to look - specifically?
< id="kpfLog" ="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.?START_LOG" onload="destroy(this)" style="display: none;">
Share the Love,
Sng
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 19:29
Because water was scarce, people took dust baths instead. The abrasive sand removed the dead skin, salts and dirt
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2012 at 19:34
African societies that converted to Islam abided by the Koran's requirements for cleanliness. Despite the hot desert climate the Moors used soap and bathed more regularly than Europeans
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2012 at 19:02
The Europeans were the real barbarians around the time of the Reconquista. The Spaniards outlawed the public baths of the Moors, suppressed science as witchcraft, and expelled Muslims who refused to convert to Christianity:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gAC81Tsh2bwC&lpg=PA201&dq=moors%20hygiene&pg=PA201#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by Nick1986 - 15-Jul-2012 at 19:02
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2012 at 19:54
The ancient Egyptians were fortunate enough to have the River Nile running through the country. Both men and women doused themselves in perfume and oils, including a wax cone placed on the head that slowly melted
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2012 at 17:09
Native Americans have used sweating for centuries and they were also known to dip into cold streams....now there is as much evidence if not more to suggest this was designed for spiritual purposes. Ntl. ya still get clean in the process. As to the effects of what was brought into their midst by Euro expansionists...this is already well known as to results and effects.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2012 at 19:59
Hot showers in modern times have a similar effect: opening the pores, getting rid of body salts and easing the muscles
 Post Reply Post Reply