Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scythians, Sarmatians, and Slavs..Oh my!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scythians, Sarmatians, and Slavs..Oh my!!
    Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 17:57

I was told by a historian once that the Slavs were considered Sarmatians by the Greeks... Is this true? Are these people all related?Confused

هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 18:11
Though Herodotus knew of the Sarmatians I can't see how he would have called them Slavs since that term wasn't in use then.

The Sarmatians were in the Iranian basin and Eastern Europe. Centuries later the Slavs populated the area of the latter. The ancient Greeks and Byzantines did have border relations with each multi-ethnic group from those regions. Maybe that is where a possible connection comes from.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 19:13
Slavs, Bulgars and Huns assimilated the Sarmatians, the Rohshalani and Alani were Sarmatian tribes - the present day Ossetians (Iron/Digor people) are the sole direct descendants of the Saramtians.
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 23:55
Of the major Sarmatian confederations listed by Strabo, the Iazyges and Roxolani were the two primarily settled in Eastern Europe, that is, in and around the eastern Danube region and into the Hungarian Plain.  However, as Zagros mentioned, the late 4th C. arrival of the Huns into the Plains saw the assimilation of what remained of these tribes.
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 16:05
Do modern day slavs have much Iranian blood in them? Like, are modern day Ukranians the direct descendents of Sarmatian tribes, or did Slavs migrate to the area later?

Edit:

Also, Zagros, t'would be great if you could reply to my Private Message. Wink

Edited by Herschel - 19-Jun-2006 at 16:06
 Post Reply Post Reply