Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoots of the Greek Cypriots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roots of the Greek Cypriots
    Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 05:50

I wonder that the roots of the cypriots.Turkish cyriots from Turkey .They came to island in 1571.This is clear.What about Greek Cypriots?Are they originally Greek? Or they are the mixure of the French,Venezian,Greek people?I know the Lusignans who reigned in Cyprus during the crusades and after that Venezian states invaded island.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 08:19
Why are you so sure about the turkish cypriots?
Do you think there wasnt islamization of the natives?
In fact turkish cypriots look much more like greek cypriots than Anatolian Turks.

dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 09:33
During the 14th-10th BC Cyprus was settled by Myceneans Greeks. These are the Greek Cypriots.

Turkish Cypriots are the descendants of the turkish settlers who were introduced in Cyprus by the Ottomans and the islamized natives.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 15:34
Dorian your making in your reply that the South Cypriots are pure Greek and that the Turkish Cypriots are a mixture.

The South Cypriots are a mixture of various eastern meditaranean cultures. Including Greek, Egyption, Anatolion (Not Turkish or Greek), Syrian etc.

The orginal settlers to Cyprus are NOT Mycenean Greek, (do they really teah you this in Greek propaganda education) 325-58 bc.

The original inhabitants were Phoenicians and South Anatolians. By your theory then i guess we should call you all Lebanese Cypriots. By looking at the following map it would make much more sence then to think that Greeks initially came all the way to Cyprus.

The South Cypriots are a very mixed people. The Turkish Cypriots however are more Turkish in relation to ethnicity then the South Cypriots Greek blood.

So one can conclude that the South Cypriots relation to the Greeks is the following:

-Both followers of Greek Orthodox Church
-Language
-Culture (brought by Mycenean influence)

Edited by OSMANLI - 14-Jun-2006 at 15:35
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 15:50
Propaganda education?Cut the bullsh*t.There were Hellen settlers there since the time of the Mycenean era.Who was the first settler though,is another issue.

brought by Mycenean influence

Myceneans are way too old so they can justify a 3.000 year old influence.The Ancient Hellenic influence continued later up to the Hellenistic period.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 17:01
Smile
The original greek-Cypriots are mixed people...
hm..ok..
The last 2500 years greek culture and language are predominent in Cyprus.

But we must wake up the phoenician and pharaonic genes of these people!
LOL
What kind of nationalistic bulsh*t !!

Edited by Digenis - 14-Jun-2006 at 17:05
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 17:06
I always  thought greek cypriots looked like iranians and lebanese.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 17:13
I can recognize Cypriots from 1000 km awaySmile

dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 19:08
Osmanli,

you have no idea about the Greek Cypriots. Mycenean Greeks first settled Cyprus in 14th-11th BC and the Phoenicians went there in the 9th century BC while the island was exclusively greek.

But it wouldn't be a surprise for me if you said that the Turks are the natives of Cyprus...
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 19:31
To be more specific,

1. Myceneans Greeks first colonized Cyprus in the 14th Century BC.

2. In 1150-1080 BC Acheans Greeks settled in Cyprus.

3. Some Phoenicians settlers went to Cyprus in the 9th century BC.

4. In 411-374 BC Evagoras from Salamina in Cyprus, united all the cities of Cyprus. Evagoras (like all the inhabitants of Cyprus) was Greek, they spoke and wrote in greek, they had greek names and Cyprus was the island where the Greek goddess Aphrodite was born according to the greek religion. For this reason Cyprus is called "Aphrodite's island".

5. In 333-323 the island became part of the Macedonian Hellenistic Empire and more Greeks settled in Cyprus. Since 315 up to 58 BC it was under the Ptolemaic Empire.

Edited by dorian - 14-Jun-2006 at 19:41
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 03:34
I wonder why anyone didn't mention the island being firstly settled by Hittites and Cilicians (Luwians). Emperor Tudhaliyash IV was fighting the Ahhiyawa (Achaeans) trying to colonise western coasts. The Luwian cities, Milluvanda (later Miletos)and Abassa (later Ephesos) were already captured by Greeks, and Hittites were losing all their control in Western Anatolia. To provide the copper supply of the Empire, Tudhaliyash conquered Alashiya (Cyprus). Many Cilicians have settled the island and later on the Greeks assimilated them by force. Tough the Hittite name Alasiya is still used in Turkish.

The island was later colonised by Phoenecians, conquered by Egyptians, Seleucids, Romans (and Byzantine Empire), crusaders, Venezians and finally by Ottomans in 1571 by Selim II. But the Muslim existance in the island dated back to 12th century. One of the main reasons for Ottomans by capturing the island was to provide safety of the pilgrims.

Edited by Bashibozuk - 15-Jun-2006 at 03:36
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 06:35
You Greeks are making it as if iam trying to make it out that iam speaking from a  nationalistic point of view.

Infact i agree that the Turkish Cypriots are mixed. However the South Cypriots are too mixed to even be considered as any mainland race.
Even in your arguements you keep using the key word "Greek influence".

As i said Basibozuk has said Anatolians were the first to go to Cyprus.
In fact the stone age and bronze age came to Cyprus before any Mycenean (Greek) arrival on the island.

No body here is claiming that the South Cypriots do not have any Greek blood, but its not at the extent that you are making it out to be.

Theres no need to cry over this. Its historical fact, however it would bring an end to the racist ENOSIS ideology.

Digines-"I can recognize Cypriots from 1000 km awaySmile"

Really you do agree that Cypriots look diffrent from Greeks. Not surprising considering the the vast diffrent appearances of the Cypriots; White, tanned, black, blue eyes, black eyes, green eyes, curly hair, straight hair etc.
Why do you think there is such a diffrence in the Cypriot appearance?
Digines (agian)"But we must wake up the phoenician and pharaonic genes of these people!
LOL
What kind of nationalistic bulsh*t !!"
Nationalistic BS? excuse me incase you have not noticed yet but i am not a Lebanese nor an Arab. I was using your logic of choosing one group of settlers out of many others and making them out to be purely of that stock (eg. GREEK Cypriot). But the way the Republic of South Cyprus is going the South side will be full of Lebonese soon any way.

Edited by OSMANLI - 15-Jun-2006 at 07:15
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 07:17

Dear All my turkish and greek friends who replied my topic.

Thank you for you replies and i learned lots of new information about the origin of the greek cypriots.Now i know that in that area for thousand years lots of civilazation has been setlled like Hitits and Phonacioans ,Different greek nations and arabs turks.

Thats very nice that all these culteres has been mixed each other and became cypriots.Why they couldnt been a one nation?who did that and divided the country for two nation and became war?

Why because the island is in the middle of the trade routes?

Greek Tragedy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 11:25
how can you tell the difference between greeks and cypriots. WTF. cyprus is still very greek. I have both greek and cypriot in my family and the cypriots call themselfs Greek. and so i never really thought about all the other groups besides turkish. my cypriot cousin is blond and blue eyes and looks nordic but his father is dark haired med looking greek. and my grandfather is a dark greek from Greece and looks south asian or middleeastern. greeks are a mixer of different looks, so how you can tell the difference is beyond me. i doubt you will think a blonde walking down the street, is a Mexican, but she is, so this whole assuming you can tell peoples races by looking is rediculous. also Greeks in Greece are mixed too, so whats the point they still call themselfs Greek. who isnt mixed. They call still be called only Greek not 'lebanese and whatever greek'
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 12:28

Greek Tragedy, if they want to call themselves "Greek Cypriot" then thats fine. They can call themselves what ever they like.

However some Greek members responce has been a purly ignorant nationalistic responce as to saying that South Cypriots are pure Greeks from day one of the history of the island of Cyprus.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 17:09
However the South Cypriots are too mixed to even be considered as any mainland race.

That's sth clearly subjective.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 06:12
Originally posted by Spartakus

However the South Cypriots are too mixed to even be considered as any mainland race.

That's sth clearly subjective.

O please dont try to twist my words just because you can no longer find anything to back up your claims.

My choice of wording is perfect especially in the context of this topic.

Since we are trying to see the roots of the South Cypriots (surely it cant be the northWink) and we have established that they are geneticlally as you quite correctlly quoted me "too mixed to even be considered as any mainland race. "

So perhaps i must clarify the conclusion of this topic to make it easier:

South Cypriots:

Genetically: Too mixed to be considered as any main land race, thus 'South Cypriot' would be a correct title.

Culturally: Greek
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 08:18
Osmanli, if you want to believe what you say, it's your right. If you have any anthropological studies to support this, post it.

Until then please don't be so fanatic about the pureness of the turkish Cypriots and the bastardy of greek Cypriots.

PS: Actually, Greek Cypriots look like us.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 12:44
Actually, genetical investigations showed that Greece and Cyprus have almost identical DNA. I don't remeber the source, so you can also not beleive it, if you don't want to. I remember that the Cypriot DNA was like the Greek, with less 'slavic' (eastern european) elements, and with more south eastern mediterranean elements (yeah, Lebanese etc). In this study Greece and Turkey showed quite close DNA.
Cyprus had indeed been colonized by many many cultures, but the biggest immigration was the Greek, and happened during ancient times. Don't forget that in Cyprus flourished a native 'Cyprominoan' civilization, which actually helped us greatly read the Linear B inscriptions. This civilization was parallel and very similar to the known Minoan civilization of Crete. And even though we can't be sure of the 'ethnicity' of the Minoan and Cyprominoan civilizations, all evidence points towards that they were Greek. So, we can say that Cyprus was Greek populated long before it became temporalily colonized by others, as the Egyptians, Phoenicians etc.

And this debate about how Greek Cypriot look, is stupid. There are blond (I had a classmate, the only true blond in the class), or dark. Generally you can't say that they are Cypriot by the looks (perhaps only some Cypriot types, as there are Pontian types, Vlachic etc) until you hear one. Then you'll understand him...They speak with a funny accent, similar to that of the eastern Aegean islands, especially Chios.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by xristar

They speak with a funny accent, similar to that of the eastern Aegean islands, especially Chios.

yeaa!  i am in cyprus now(for education) all cypriots speak differnt.
 grekocypriots speaks differnt then greeks in greece
 turcocypriots speaks differnt then turks in turkey

like;
 digamis  (ti kanis)
 napan  (napıyorsun/nasılsın)

Edited by erkut - 16-Jun-2006 at 13:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>