Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the meaning of the Turkish word derveni?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the meaning of the Turkish word derveni?
    Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 13:07
In Greece we have some turkish origin toponames like the word ...Derveni.

I have found two source regarding the meaning of the turkish word

The word derveni called a company that guard a narrow pass(Narrative of a Journey in the Morea by William Gell , page 169)

The word derveni means narrow pass
(Modern Greece: A Narrative of a Residence and Travels in that Country by Henry Martyn Baird ,page 265)

any help from the Turkish members please ?Smile

Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 13:18
It looks like a derivative of persian word derbend or derbent.
Dictionary of turkish language institude gives following meanings:
1.Narrow pass between mountains
2.Small border fortress

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 13:42
Seljuk is it possible to find in the net that show the turkish text, derivation or the meaning of the word?
Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 14:02
Originally posted by akritas

Seljuk is it possible to find in the net that show the turkish text, derivation or the meaning of the word?

Well, do you mean something like an online dictionary?
I use TDK online dictionary to find etymology of a word but its available only in Turkish http://www.tdk.gov.tr/TDKSOZLUK/SOZBUL.ASP?kelime=&submit1=Ara
you can use http://www.seslisozluk.com/ as Turkish-English dictionary but it doesn't show any etymology.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 14:06

How this word written in turkish ?

Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 14:11
derbent
Smile

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 14:13
ThanksSmile
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 15:43
To be exact 32km further my village is there a village called "Derbent" and people who live there are "yrk" (nomads).
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 16:03

DayI your village is close in a narrow passage ?

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 18:29
Originally posted by akritas

DayI your village is close in a narrow passage ?

:) uhm sorry forgot to mention where i come from, Afyon - bolvadin - zburun

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 03:22
Originally posted by Seljuk

It looks like a derivative of persian word derbend or derbent.

Amazing! When I was living in Tehran, I lived in a neighborhood close to Darband (Niavaran)! Only now I make the connection, because Darband was a gorge with a small river flowing in it... I used to go there a lot.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 11:34
Yiannis i myself can explain it little bit, Turkic nomadic people moved time to time from place to place, the place they settled called what they did call their previous settlement. Like there where many "afshar" village's in Turkey, they just renamed them after 1923  to avoid confusing, our village's name whas also "avshar" (a Turkmen tribes-name). Also for the name "bayat", i myself have sawn 3 village's (2 of them in Afyon and other in Konya) named "Bayat" wich is another an tribe-name.

Also another thing is, when those Turkic nomadic people formed a city, they call a mountan or a place out there as "musalla tasi", you can find that name everywhere where Turkic people are or have passed, from Uyguristan (wich is in China) to Iraqi city Kirkk, then to Istanbul-Besiktas semt (IIRC the stadium of besiktas fc is located where the people call "musalla tasi") and at last a mountan in Bulgaria whas called or is still called by local people as "Musalla tasi" (subotai wrote it somewhere in medieval history).

Edited by DayI - 08-Jun-2006 at 11:35
 Post Reply Post Reply