Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Byerley Turk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Byerley Turk
    Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 09:17

The Byerley Turk: The Incredible Story of the World's First Thoroughbred

James has written about the Turkish and their way of life in a non judgmental and poetic way. Revering their customs and traditions that I didn't know alot about.

Its great to know Turkmenbashi has seen the importance of this horse which transformed Europe and had such a profound influence and impact on the continant.  The Akhal Teke horse is now protected and bread, Turkmenistan even has its own Horse Minister.

Regards 
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 04:15
Horse Minister?LOL

I'm not surprised as long as Turkman Bashi is in power.  
Either make a history or become a history.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 14:11
You don't know who Turkmen Bashi is. So you're NOT able to reach a logical conclusion here. I'm not surprised either to see people who have not a world-wide famous horses like AqalTeke laughing at things like horse-minister.

Don't try to convince me you're right. Because you haven't been in Turkmenistan. Alright?

They ARE worth a ministry to keep them particular forever. You simply can't UNDERSTAND the case.
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 14:17
Listen barbar, I'm really sick and tired of all those conversations I had with you; let alone to laugh at what we honor. I'm ready to continue this discussion until whenever you may keep. Call this a flame war or anywhat you may think. You don't have the authority to make humor of people's belief or hereos. What do you think you're doing?

And to Seko, I should say, if you're about to warn me again for this statements, first, insert a caution here to Barbar. He has started the course. And then you can ask me for my apologise.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 15:24
Gok_Toruk, the Akhal Teke horse is among the top if not the top breed of horse in the world.

Its left a legacy in another famous horse the English horse, this book infact says that the Akhal Teke is the origins of this breed.

I didn't mention the Horse Minister to make any fun, quite the contrary I think its a great move the Soviets almost exterminated this Wonder of the equestrian world.

So its essential that a proper ministry takes care and makes sure the Akhal Teke thrives.

Its a great move by Turkmenbasi and let me say this, I've been to Turkmenistan and he didn't seem to be hated Wink

Sag bol Toruk 
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 17:47
Do horses have a special status in Turkmenistan, compared with other animals? if so, why?
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 22:59
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Listen barbar, I'm really sick and tired of all those conversations I had with you; let alone to laugh at what we honor. I'm ready to continue this discussion until whenever you may keep. Call this a flame war or anywhat you may think. You don't have the authority to make humor of people's belief or hereos. What do you think you're doing?

And to Seko, I should say, if you're about to warn me again for this statements, first, insert a caution here to Barbar. He has started the course. And then you can ask me for my apologise.

Why did you get so emotional? I just felt funny because their is a minister especially for a horse. As a horse lover, I really adore the Turkman horse. But a ministry?????

Sorry, if I make you upset to say something about your beloved leader. I have seen many odd news about him. That's why I said that.

Turkmanbashi has put himself on all the currency. He has named months after himself. Ashgabad is clogged with golden statues of himself. Also, Times-Square-size billboards of his face fill the entire country. I read one travelogue where the writer describes riding through the devastatingly bleak Kara Kum Desert which makes up most of Turkmenistan, and seeing Niyazov billboards looming up out of the empty distance. Even in the middle of nowhere, Niyazov wants to make sure his presence is omniscent.

Can you say these are not true? I really hope these aren't true.

Either make a history or become a history.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 12:47
We certainly don't believe he is the ideal leader we could have got. But we won't let foreigners decide what is right or what is wrong here. As long as Turkmenistan and Turkmens are concerned, nobody from overseas have the right to dare to choose the path for us. What we would say here is, 'mind your own business'.

You're right when talking about all those sculptures or things he have done after himself. But it's not all you may think he's done. As I've always believed, as long as one is considered useful to the system and to the process, he should remain in his place.

More than all those you've mentioned, he's started a new period of improvement in Turkmenistan. You can't expect more from a country which has gained its independence for 15 years. You're comparing Turkmenistan to China? Or what? Let the time clarify everything since you haven't got the knowledge.

Anyhow, these are things we do ourselves. It has nothing to do with your or anybody else.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 12:50
And I might be emotional, if you think. But when it comes to my people, I'm rather a pure crazy Turkmen.

To Bulldog:

Well, my firend, I didn't mean to offend you by my post. I know you very good. I agree with you. 'Sakin degmez'
Suevari View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Quote Suevari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 14:17
Ha, chances of this, I was reading that on Amazon a few days ago too!

Gok Toruk, no offence to Turkmenistan at all, you guys are our brothers, but Turkmenbashi is just an ex-soviet sensationalist self-styled despot.  He's somewhat of a joke and Turkish representatives even had to fly out to Turkmenistan to persuade him not to call himself "Ataturkmen".
So he settled for Turkmenbashi.
The best Turkic country (other than Turkey) politcal-wise and democracy wise is Kyrgystan, then Kaz.  But the Turkmen govt. is a joke.

Also, I don't really think you have the right to say "what we honour".  No way to all Turkmens honour Turkmenbashi out of choice.  Your leader is not your country and it never should be.

Edited by Suevari - 13-Jun-2006 at 14:20
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 17:02
What makes you think Turkey is "better" than other Turkic countries?

Turkmenistan had only 15 years to implement reforms, Turkey had almost 85...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 17:15

One thing we can't sadly rid the world of is ignorance, what I dislike is when somebody is obviously ignorant about a matter but seems to think that they know it all.

Have you been to Turkmenistan? have you asked the people what they think about him? guess what he's not hated and he's actually quite a good leader who thinks about his people and country. He is not some ex-soviet mumbo jumbo, he has ridded Turkmenistan from Russian influence, he shut down premises which signified the old Russian attempts of assimilation and brainwashing like Operas etc.

He took a decision to protect the treasures of Turkmenistan and the countries interests, the Akhal Teke is an amazing horse and protecting it is a fantastic move.

No country is perfect but the amount of garbage that comes out about Turkmenistan is ridiculous.

There's been no riots, no wars, no problems with other countries except Russia just because Turkey is chosen over them.

Turkmenbashi is building a stable base in the country and has mentioned that he wishes to bring in a democratic process.

Don't forget Turkmenistan has been free for 15 years, this isn't a long time you cannot expect things overnight.

Please think before you write and research what you write because if you don't it justs causes tension and aggrevation when there is no need for it.

Albert Pine

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 18:16
"If you think Saddam Hussein was fond of himself, just visit Turkmenbashi's country. There's a poster or a statue of him in nearly every public space.

The golden likeness of the former communist party boss-turned-dictator is in the center of the capitol, always rotating to face the sun. His picture is on the airplane that brings you to the main port town called Turkmenbashi. It watches over workers in the field, over children in school, over drivers on the road. He's also on the money, and he's even on the national vodka.

His face is everywhere, and you cant walk a block without seeing either a statue or photo of him.

Half the country lives in poverty. And Turkmenistan has the highest infant mortality rate in the region and the lowest life expectancy. Jobs are few and far between, and religious freedom? Well, Turkmenbashi knocks down churches.

Turkmenbashi controls everything in this country. He personally decides who comes in, who goes out, who gets into university, and who does not. There's also no press freedom, since he controls the newspapers and television.
Turkmenbashi is so controlling that he has even rewritten the calendar, and he recently renamed the month of January to "Turkmenbashi." April is named after his mother.

anyway, continued here...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/12/31/60minutes/main590913.shtml

One thing we can't sadly rid the world of is ignorance, what I dislike is when somebody is obviously ignorant about a matter but seems to think that they know it all.

yup
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 19:10
Have you ever been to Turkmenistan? do you know anyone from Turkmenistan? well who are you to call people ignorant about matters you don't have the slightest understanding of.

Comparing him to Saddam Hussein is Sick! he was declared no wars, does not massacre his own people and cannot be even put near Saddam.

What more do you expect from CBS news or any mainstream American media, its interesting in making sensational news and thinks because hardly any Americans know where Turkmenistan is it can get away with it.

Turkmenbashi aint perfect but he's not as bad as people make out.
Albert Pine

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 21:22
Our ancestors had a clearer and more reasoned division of the ages of man...childhood lasted to 13, adolescence to 25, youth to 37, maturity to 49.

"Later there followed: the age of the prophet, from 49 to 62; the age of inspiration, from 62 to 73; the age of the white-bearded elder, from 73 to 85; old age, from 85 to 97; and the age of Oguz Khan (an ancient ruler of the Turkic ancestors of the Turkmen) -- from 97 to 109."

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/08/17/Turkmenistan.ages/

"Living standards just go down and down," said a doctor in his forties, who asked to remain anonymous because talking to foreign reporters can land you in serious trouble with the omnipresent security agency. "The only changes I can see are the buildings springing up everywhere."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1634100.stm

e renamed the town of Krasnovodsk, on the Caspian Sea, Turkmenbashi after himself, in addition to renaming several schools, airports and even a meteorite after himself and his immediate family. Niyazov's face appears on all Manat banknotes and large portraits of the president hang all over the country, especially on major public buildings and avenues. Statues of himself and his mother are scattered all over Turkmenistan, including one in the middle of the Kara Kum desert as well as a gold-plated statue atop Ashgabat's largest building, the Neutrality Arch, that rotates so it will always face into the sun and shine light onto the capital city. Niyazov has commissioned a massive palace in Ashgabat commemorating his rule. He has been given the hero of Turkmenistan award five times. "I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want," Niyazov has said. The education system indoctrinates young Turkmen to love Niyazov, with his works and speeches making up most of their textbooks' content. The primary text is a national epic written by Niyazov, the Ruhnama or Book of the Soul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saparmurat_Niyazov

The international communitys ability to address Turkmenistans leadership crisis is limited. Niyazov has gone to great lengths to seal the country off from outside cultural forces, enhancing his ability to resist international pressure to change his ways. [For background see the Eurasia Insight]. In addition, the inability of foreign experts to gain entry to Turkmenistan is hampering development of instability-prevention strategies and emergency response planning, Ponomarev indicated.

http://www.eurasianet.org/departments/insight/articles/eav052506.shtml

have your pick...but I would agree with gok toruk, here. I do not think foreigners have any right to judge his country and to tell him what/who to look or not to like, no matter how weird some of the practices seem to us. If the people are happy..then they are happy, its none of our business.

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 14:07

Suevari and Mommikon, most of your words are just based of what you've heard. I'm just wondering how come you believed all those without even asking a Turkmen. You haven't even been here.

Too all, I'm saying, I've had enough about this matter, I'm not going to continue this. I told you he's not the supreme leader, but so far, he's been good to his country. Think the way you like. But as for me, being a Turkmen, I would say, your words are all nonesense.

It's so funny, also, Suevari, when you say 'you don't have the write to say what we honor'. What do you mean? Can you define what people should honor? You haven't been here. You're not a Turkmen. Turkmenbashi is really what we honor.

Well, you're really giving me a headache, cause you've started this Politics again, in a thread which is not related to what you discuss, at all.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 14:15
I agree with your point gok toruk, on the interruption of politics in this topic. Though threads do often stray from the original focus, they often have a way of going back. This one hasn't.

Thread will stay open as long as the discussion goes back to the Byerley/Akhal Teke Horse and Turkmenbashi's role in preserving it. 
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 14:25
Seko, I expected you a long time earlier.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 12:02
no comments.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 13:37

I was about to write an apologise for my a little bit offending words to Seko (or anybody else). Since the thread was closed by Moderators, I think this is the place for me to talk a bit to Seko.

I'm really Sorry Seko. I just couldn't see your help. Hope this won't affect our friendship.

Thanks also to Zagros and Maziar, my kind friends from Iran.

Wish you all best.

Peace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>